/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/NEW-IBM-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T40-T41-T42-T43-T43P-CPU-FAN-Cooling-Fans-/250748530385?hash=item3a61c6eed1:m:mbsAj4s-jz2p2YnaZOk4Z_A
flickr.com/photos/31470204@N06/2948699692/in/photostream/
dropbox.com/sh/mq1e2a54vv03
coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t420
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=119498
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>modern integrated graphic is 5x faster than my quadro

Fucking kill me

what quadro?

Just replaced the keyboard on my T420s with a brand new one and god does it feel gooooooooood. Keys are so damn firm. I actually bought two to keep a spare as the day will come that I can't buy a traditional thinkpad keyboard somebody.

Looking for a Thinkpad with a quad core CPU.

This'n is going for $310

Would upgrade the HDD to 2TB and put the OS/software on an SSD.

Worth? Or can I find better?

>dualcore i7-3520M TDP = 35W
>quadcore i7-3612QM TDP = 35W
>both are apparently compatible for the T430

What's the catch? I checked Intel's website and it also lists the TDP as the same, so it can't be a mistake.

these threads are the equivalent of dumpster diving.

buy real machines poorfags.

You are way, way off

any windows application to maintain my t420's battery levels?

your birth was the equivalent of dumpster diving.

Catch is that's the lower end quad-core

I found a good deal on ebay, but it's quite strange.
Machine type number is for x230, but System-unit serial number is for x230i.

Is that fine? Model is listed as x230 i5

What's the best OS for the X61 Tablet?
Windows 10 has great tablet support but is really slow with 2 GiB of ram.

Also I don't really want to upgrade the hardware, compatible Ram would cost more than I payed for the entire machine in mint condition, the only thing that sucks is the battery, which gives me around 40-60 minutes of use

Has anyone tried the impressively cheap aftermarket nipples that are available on ebay / aliexpress? It's like $3 for 10.

how the fuck do you replace a fan on the t43

like they sell these:
ebay.com/itm/NEW-IBM-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T40-T41-T42-T43-T43P-CPU-FAN-Cooling-Fans-/250748530385?hash=item3a61c6eed1:m:mbsAj4s-jz2p2YnaZOk4Z_A

but how do you remove the original and attach this?

>Model is listed as x230 i5
you might get swindled, any screenshots to confirm that?

>What's the best OS for the X61 Tablet?
have you tried win7?

they're shit

you can try and yank it off but come on, a new heatsink&fan contraption is like $15

>you might get swindled, any screenshots to confirm that?
Bios main screen shows that cpu type is i5

> new
> implying it isn't some old garbage someone took off their thinkpad that has the exact same agonizing buzzing sound as my current fan

why would i want to do that

Are the heatsinks for the t430 compatible with the t420?

where did you get the serial number? stickers get changed, and bioses get updated all the time. probably a fluke tho.

>why would i want to do that
arent you doing that already?

How much does an IPS panel costs that fits into an X230 in Euros?

Does anyone know how much power the side USB ports on a T520 output? (And for comparison, the rear "powered" port?)

i have a fucking german keyboard on my x220 and i hate this layout, any of you anons know where i can buy a new one in ansi for cheap in europe?

Alright, so my T530 won't start up. Won't get into BIOS, fan doesn't spin up, nothing.
Before that happened i installed ubuntu and before starting it up for the first time i opened the laptop to check a connector.
I tried booting without the SSD in case it was ubuntu, tried doing the 30 second reset trick (and removed the RAM beforehand), tried to use AC power only.
Anyone know other solutions or is my thinkpad bricked for good ?

Sounds like a power problem, don't you think so?
Maybe try reseating the power board / checking if there are any components that look forked on there.

The weird thing is the power button is illuminated. Other than that it just won't boot.

>i opened the laptop to check a connector.
did you remove the battery first?

Still could've blown a fuse. It doesn't sound that weird to me that the power led would still be working.
Thing is, I haven't been able to find any circuit diagrams for these laptops so I couldn't tell you where the fuses are.

Yup, the AC connector too.

Oh wait, you reseated a connector? Then probably something went wrong there.

tfw you are trying to sell your well speced t530 on gumtree and all you get is indians calling you and lowballing, fml

>get a good T420, everything werks
>comes with one 4gb stick of ram - the one underneath the keyboard
>buy another one, different brand, can't find another Hynix one where I live
>made sure it has literally identical specs: 4gb, 1333mhz max at 9-9-9-24, 1.5v, not ddr3L
>turn it on, everything werks, comfy amount of ram
>notice the back door where I installed the ram overheating
>cpu idle temps went up 10 degrees
>pull out the stick I bought, it's hot as fuck
>temps go back to normal

god damnit what's going on? is this normal behavior?

Not sure about that, i was checking the connector for the touchpad and fingerprint sensor and everything looked fine, no broken headers or anything. I suspect the BIOS got fucked from me quitting the ubuntu setup too early, i'm currently trying to remove the CMOS battery to see if that makes a difference.

Well let me know how that goes. Sounds improbable to me, afaik installing an os does nothing to a bios, but maybe it works.

I know today is April fools but, the IBM 2521 ThinkPad was released this month!

I found out it wasn't IBM's first tablet though. In Japan the PS/55 Note model line had a computer called the T22sx, supposedly it hand touch as well as pen touch...

Also check out this lucky bastards collection.
.flickr.com/photos/31470204@N06/2948699692/in/photostream/

Sell it on eBay. :P
>work at recycler
>advertise laptops & computers of all sorts
>post contains imac and macbook
>'what is the lowest you can do'
>'best price for macbook? buy all the time'
>'can i video edit with this macbook?'
>'ur price is too expensive, I will come and you give cheaper price, i buy in bulk'
I put up a scratched up 2009 13" White Macbook missing some parts/screws/charger and someone paid $150 for the damn thing shipped next day.

What did you pay for it, and having 2x 2GB of RAM is well worth it. But getting 4GB RAM Modules is not... oh no.

Over the past years, I've went to Xubuntu & Win 7 back and forth. Wacom support is good still.

did you not get lenovo power manager? You want it to stop charging before 100%, correct?

I have an opportunity to pick up what I believe to be pic related, a thinkpad 750c. Should I do it?

which manufacturer? there are 3 different ones for the same keyboard

I have an x220 and I let the battery die completely last night while it was on sleep with the lid closed. How long should it normally take to charge the battery until I can boot it up?

Whenever I try and boot the laptop with the cable plugged in the power light flickers and it doesn't turn on. I've let it sit for about 20 mins now and it still didn't boot.

that's no good. Try the power trick (take out power and press start button for 10s) or removing the bios battery for a couple of minutes.

Yeah sorry I was booting up, I drain the power by doing the power button thing and it booted right up. The battery has plenty of charge.

>88
Hitler says yes.

Nobody answered my question in the last thread. Trying again.

>Recommended models:
>T420 - 14", normal size
>X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

How much longer will these last (not performance-wise, but before the motherboard fails)?

>What's the best OS for the X61 Tablet?
A few small batches of various X4x models, for god knows what reason, came from the factory with thermal epoxy holding the heatsink fan to cpu/gpu. If you have one of those, you're shit out of luck.

mobos shouldn't ever fail.
You will eventually need a new fan and a new keyboard, but that's about it.

huh, quoted wrong message, sorry...

And I mean T4x not X4x anyway.

the motherboard doesnt fail just like that, if you shove it around and try to hotswap ram sticks and displays then you will fry it sooner than later.

Is the t440p a good value thinkpad? I need a laptop and came across a used one

What ThinkPad should I buy if I want to continuously upgrade it? By the end I'd like a quad core Intel cpu, ssd, 16gb ram

Prefer to start out under 200

Integrated graphics models have more than a decade lifespan in general, My T43 worked until 2015 when I couldn't find a good fan upgrade and temps were insufficient, My T60p is still 100% functional, the hinges are just really loose. The *20 and *30 series are still really sturdy, I see no reason why they can't last until 2022 if not longer. The quad cores in the W series (and can be fit in the T series) are still really competitive.

Price?

Also if I could upgrade it to a dedicated gpu that would be great

They can be found at reasonable enough prices on ebay, though they're probably not better value than the previous generations unless you want something that can take a FHD screen.

Not from the US. But it is around 200usd

Go for it. Also, if you can, buy the T450 trackpad.

I have used Thinkpads for a while now and I want to try Dell next. Any recommendations? My current Thinkpad is T430 with i7 and Nvidia GPU. It has enough power to run Overwatch with low settings so I would like a similar Dell, but this time with a good IPS screen. Is there any Dells that are like T430? I'd rather not have left-aligned keyboard due to numpad, but maybe I can deal with having a numpad if there's no other choise.

E6440

Thanks guys. I'm just worried about buying a seemingly inexpensive device that might later require expensive repairs. At the same time, I'm too poor to buy a recent laptop.

E5450

>might later require expensive repairs.
its quite the opposite really, any repairs and spare parts are cheap.

So lads I'm going to flash coreboot and get an ivy bridge chip in my t420 (for the hd4000), would it be worth upgrading the ram to dual channel as well? Would that give the igpu another boost in performance?

idk about dual channel but speed matters too, so it better be 1866.

hey boys CAN ANYONE LINK ME TO AN EXTENDED CABLE FOR SALE so I can drop a x1 carbon screen in my t420 and get rid of this 768p POS

The wiki is out of date. Anyone got an updated one of these with where the 2017 prices should be?

It shows used w520s at ~$700 but that's over twice as much as you should pay nowadays.

im running a 3630qm in my t430

had to upgrade to a 125w ac adapter though

bad dimm, or possibly a problem with northbridge.

I had a super IO chip go bad on a server motherboard which caused my memory to get super hot.

I mean it could be a lot of things..

So I bought a t420. I read the guide, and before I bought it I checked the bios and could access it, and no supervisor password was there. Now I'm not that tech-savvy, and I didn't really know what I was doing..
And now I'm afraid I fucked up: I now see that "hardware password manager" is enabled an so is "password at unattended boot" and I don't know whether intel at module should be enabled (which it is, but its not activated), computrace is disabled.
I also tried to look up the serial number but got "error no results"
Am I retarded and fucked?
Help much appreciated

Today I bought thinkpad in my dream. And it's not a joke

Should I buy the Legion Y720? Is it a good build quality?

my latitude e6400 arrived today, and got a few questions
1. high pitched noise — seems to be quite common in dells
2. hinges behave strange, its like it has two stable postitions when opened, appr 10 degrees apart
3. sim card appears to be stuck in slot and i cant eject it
please help

Its 25 years since the thinkpad
im sure it'll go up in price

For a long fucking time
only thing killing them is water, constant overheating (literally impossible unless ur retarded) and misc damage.

Most of the RMA shit has already happened.

I replaced a thermal paste on my T43p
It had some odd glue shit on the GPU, but I left the shit on there and it did work for the year I used it.

You'd be happy with buying an expensive product needing cheap repairs?
it comes out the same

How about you fucking check out dankpads you fuck
>hasn't been updated in five months
let me copy and paste and say its 'updated' then

W520s can still be $600, and $700 top dollah

Can you boot to OS and boot to usb?
you literally have no need to worries
press F10 for defaults on bios then.

How about fuck off this is a ThinkPad thread, not a fucking Lenovo thread.
Might as well go on /o/ and ask about a PT Crusier in a Dodge Ram thread, you ingrate piece of shit.

The laptop suits you, because you're fucking dumb and cant read

Actually the Y720 is pretty good, its RGB LEDs aren't bright enough, the gaming sucks, and its relaly a shit computer. Buy one though. You need to get a laptop that has the brighest RGB LEDs, so you can actually say it has decent build quality for a piece of gaming trash.

I have a somewhat strange problem with my Thinkpad. On which site are you most likely to get some help? I asked on the official lenovo forum but my thread got ignored. Doubt I will get help here since it's a newer model.

>please help
why the fuck did you get a Dell 6400?

>Can you boot to OS and boot to usb?
>you literally have no need to worries
>press F10 for defaults on bios then

Thank you!

I can boot to OS and USB, just ran ubuntu from flashdrive.

Should I reset BIOS to default and is there a guide on how to set security settings, since these dont follow with loading of default?

Sure, thinkpad thread, but I thought some of you would know if it's good or not.

t/p/w/x chose your flavour.

Ok this might sound stupid so bear with me here
I have two options, almost at the same price; the
x230 at 280 euros and x240 at 240 euros
i7 3520m vs 4600u, both have 8gigs of ram, both have extended batteries;
Is there any reason at all to not go with the x240?

Anyone here with a X220T (multitouch)?

The price seems right, I want to use it on the go to read mango and maybe shamefully watch some chinese cartoons. Does it handle 720/1080p well enough?

>Is there any reason at all to not go with the x240
the 3520m is slightly faster but also is a 35w part.

X240 has a better TN display, but idk if you can swap a IPS in there.

Oh right, the x230 I'm looking at has IPS
I read that some 230s have problems with wifi and top of the screen becoming loose or something

>x230 I'm looking at has IPS
I'd get the X230 then. also the X240 has 1-2 hours of extra battery life.

>I read that some 230s have problems with wifi and top of the screen becoming loose or something
maybe, never heard of that.

The ones I'm looking at seems the x230 has 1 hour more battery time from the screenshots the sellers provide.
Contacted the x230 guy, the touchpad on the 240 seems like a dealbreaker
thanks for the help

Are thinkpads generally better than Surfacebooks? It's been years since I've had a laptop and am looking to buy

>the touchpad on the 240 seems like a dealbreaker
I heard you can swap it with a X250 tho.
and yea forgot about that, I've been using wireless mouses since forever, I don't even know how a touchpad is supposed to feel like anymore.

I wouldn't be too trusting of quoted battery life, resellers won't have consistent measurements and it comes down to how worn the battery is, which can be pretty variable unless it's a refurb where you get a fresh one. The X240 will get better battery life just on the basis that it has a more efficient CPU. Also replacing the touchpad with one with proper trackpoint buttons is possible, an X250 one is ~$30 I think though you have to swap it out yourself.

Granted, they're still not equivocal in most regards, the X230 will probably be better built, while the X240 can end up better for specs on paper but you'll have to spend plenty and fuck around a bit to get to that point.

>be me, 2015, looking to replace my aging T60
>"oh the Elitebook is just as good as the Thinkpad"
>Reluctantly erase the memories of the awful HP laptop I used in high school and buy an 8470p in great shape for $250 instead of a T430
>shill Elitebooks on Sup Forums
>after 3 months the little light breaks, cannot be pushed back in or turned off, have to tape it
>some of the scissor switches on the keyboard literally snap, keys become useless, have to replace keyboard
>after a year and a half of ownership the laptop begins overheating like a motherfucker and crashing unpredictably
>memories of Grade 10 resurface

Fuck these fucking things, and fuck those of you who convinced me they were "equivalent". I'm going to get a Thinkpad like I originally planned. Possibly skip the T430 and go right to the T450 or the X1 Carbon. The only thing I worry about is the screen, because I've heard T series screens have been absolute shit since the T410.

>mfw bought a W520 with 16 gigs of RAM off eBay in December 2015 for $292 USD
>mfw this is still a decent price more than a year later

For maximum Jewing, I even took one of the 8GB modules and sold it to some pajeet on Kijiji for $30. Still using it with 8 gigs of RAM, which is more than sufficient. Fucking love this computer.

T460 or 470? It's 300€ more expensive and the 6200U to 7200U isn't really that much of an upgrade. Otherwise there's the ddr4 instead of ddr3 RAM and the USB C which I don't need. Before I buy the 460 is there anything I'm not considering?

Please report back on the whole procedure. I want to put a i7 3720qm in mine, but i'm too busy right now to actually do it.

Also on this note is T460/470 a worthy upgrade to an X220?

>T460
>2016
>~200 nits display

wew lad

well ill be damned

The coreboot works with Windows 7, 8, 10.

I have uploaded my build, if anyone want to try.
dropbox.com/sh/mq1e2a54vv03 ... iRE9qJbwQa

Usage instruction: coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t420

There are several roms with different MAC addresses (gbe.bin). The reason for having different MAC addresses is if you have several laptops plugged into the same router, you need different MAC addresses.

Some features:

1. Support Sandybridge and Ivybridge CPUs (I tested i7-3xxx QM) (by changing the vgabios name code)
2. No whitelist you can use any wireless card
3. Unlock RAM speed to 1866 (due to chipset limit 1866 is the highest)
4. Works with Windows 7,8,10, linux (Seabios)
5. Works for both t420 (with/without Nvdia graphics card)
6. Updated vgabios to newest 2170 version
7. Removed useless intel management engine (AMT)(Replaced 5MB ME region with 1.5MB ME)
8. Have 10 MAC address you can choose

>forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=119498

>dropbox.com/sh/mq1e2a54vv03 ... iRE9qJbwQa
cool link bro

The 200nits is the lowest option with 1366x768 resolution. No one actually buys this except companies who don't care for eye cancer in their employees. The 1080p option gets to a solid 300nits.

Do you want to add a bios password?
I don't see much of security settings unless its on the OS.
If nothing is said about computrace, then you are fine.

Yes, because you have a wider range of products to choose from than one two in one laptop

lmao, how does this even hapen

>better processing power
>longer battery life
>IPS screen options, larger pixel count
but
>different keyboard layout
>muh indicators

>Thermal Management. Coreboot seems does not have native thermal management (dptf.asl) for t420. Under linux it's possible to use the thermald software to work around this. Under Windows 10, the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver does not work (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0153)
sooo no thinkpadfancontrol under windows?

Is this going to be resolved with the retro thinkpad or is that just a meme now

New thinkpads are just as bad as any other chink laptop, get a T420

Source: owner of T460 which the screen broke off

I had a x220 and relatively recently switched to t450. The only con is the arrangement of buttons on a keyboard, a lot of them is missing and it looks like a mediocre laptop keyboard. But the positive thing is that the keyboard is sturdier and actually more responsive than the old one. The old one kind of bended if you pressed hard while the new one feels as glued to the fingers and doesn't flex.
The rest is the same, laptops are as tough as they used to be, I even once drunkenly managed to stand on my laptop for a minute to prove they are sturdy as hell. All the ports are there and + they now have two batteries that can last >10 hours (one inside, on outside)

T450 being shit is a meme, only the keyboard arrangement is kind of mediocre everything else is just as good or even better