Memes aside, is ryzen actually good?

memes aside, is ryzen actually good?
there are a lot of benchmarks going around, all basically having mixed results that either show ryzen cpus as great or bad.

also would it be dumb of me if i were to replace my 4790k with a 1700x?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/SystemBuildingFAQ.aspx
community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/14/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system
youtube.com/watch?v=TcdmeGOsnss
youtube.com/watch?v=QBf2lvfKkxA
pcworld.com/article/3175775/computers/ryzen-7-1800x-and-radeon-fury-x-building-the-water-cooled-fire-breathing-apex-of-amd-power.html?page=3
youtube.com/watch?v=0tfTZjugDeg
i.imgur.com/OjSIcgM.jpg
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>also would it be dumb of me if i were to replace my 4790k with a 1700x?

Depends on your workload, buy hardware for your software.

i game and stream (gpu encoder). im mostly interested in changing the cpu because i want to, not really because i need to.

It really depends what you intend to use a cpu for.

Personally getting R7s is pretty stupid if all you want to do is play vidya gaems and browse the web. R5s are better for that but will come out later.

Anyway as it stands right now unless you're on a haswell or later motherboard there is no point in buying intel housefires anymore especially delidalke.

it's great for meme'ing and has the great benefit of making intel shills rage

Yes, it would be dumb to replace your cpu for less than 50% performance gain.

It's good as long as you buy the right RAM. Fast RAM is crucial to its performance, but it can only boot newer single rank Samsung B-die stuff at 3200MHz+ right now. The cheap dual rank Hynix trash used in most DDR4 to date is stuck at 2933MHz at best (more likely 2666MHz for most boards). The difference in RAM speed is why benchmarks are all over the place.

For what it's worth, I'm liking my 1700, which is the only one worth buying since it overclocks just as well as the more expensive ones (silicon lottery permitted).

>Game and stream
Upgrade. Despite all the memes, multi core AMD handles this better than Intel.

What voltage and frequency is yours running at?

4GHz, 1.35V set and 1.356V actual with all cores loaded. ASRock Taichi board with 2666MHz RAM (since I have cheap Hynix trash from a previous buiid). Stable in all my testing so far. I know others can only hit 3.9GHz at similar voltage though.

holy shit, I hope I can win the silicon lottery like you did. I'm planning on getting an R7 1700 too.

Fucking schills can't let AMD win anything can they? Deliberately underclocking the intel chip so it can be at the top of the graph. They know exactly what the fuck they are doing too.

Yeah it does feel like that's the case unfortunately, ryzen has had a ton of success undervolting but it wasn't in their best interest to show that.

Oh well at least that graph can put the AMD = housefire meme to rest. AMD has come a long way from the faildozer days.

After checking benchmarks the 1700 is barely faster than my stock i7 2600k in games

>After checking benchmarks the 1700 is barely faster than my stock i7 2600k in games
It's getting better as winblows/bios/microcode updates get passed on. Unfortunately ryzen was not as good of a launch as everyone expected on day 1.

Anyway if the only thing you do is vidya then upgrading from your i7-2600K doesn't seem like it should be done at all. A GPU upgrade would be better.

I think Vega will tell the real answer to this. People have now been finding that NVidia drivers are causing issues with threading and thus limiting R7 performance.

I think upgrading to R7 might be a bad idea for you, but it is better than upgrading to a 7700k, if only for the fact that you can keep your AM4 mainboard when zen2 comes out. There are also still a lot of updates coming that will help the R7's perform better.

except the min fps though.. ryzen supposedly delivers much smoother framerates and frametimes overall.. i'm chaing xeon 1231v3 to ryzen 1600X when it arrives in 10 days

Ashes of Singularity performance boost from the Ryzen optimizations was pretty amazing.

op here, whats the best mobo to go with an 1700x? and whats the best ram selection for said mobo, because i know gigabyte currently has an issue with that, so im expecting others do, too.

If you are not planning to SLI, choose a B350 board, it will be much cheaper, and you can still overclock

hey. im running a xeon e3-1231v3 and a gtx 1070. i thinking about to upgrade my xeon. i do stream sometimes and playing some video games

They're all pretty much on par now. I would pick a good B350 or a budget X370 chipset.

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/SystemBuildingFAQ.aspx

Read that.

There's also supposed to be a RAM update in April that will allow broader RAM selection, as well as auto overclocking XMP profiles.

Happy building.

Don't buy a 1700X unless you're not planning on overclocking. The 1800X is the only one which has gains in maximum frequency on average, and it's to the tune of 100-200MHz (i.e. not worth the outlay). The 1700 is by far the best deal.

Best board is either the ASRock Taichi or the Crosshair VI Hero, though you don't really NEED to pay that much. A B350 board will be fine for most people. Just avoid the ones with no CPU VRM heatsinks.

For streaming it'd be a large upgrade. For gay men, still a decent one so long as you're overclocking past the Xeon's frequency.

Wrong link, my bad.

community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/14/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system

Is it worth the upgrade from an fx8320? Or does my CPU still have some years left? Games and video editing

It's a huge upgrade for both. You'd see far higher framerates in gaming (especially minimums) with any decent graphics card.

Just recently upgraded my 270x to a 1070. Maybe about a month ago so right now I'm stuck on weather to upgrade Mobo, ram, and cpu

wait for zen+ or 2 or w/e it'll be called if you don't already hate your life
but it's a good upgrade both ways

Deus vult

if you only game and do literally nothing else on your computer, intel. Almost anything else CPU intensive ryzen kicks ass. Code compilation, encoding, rendering, compressing, encrypting, etc. benefit tremendously from the extra cores. Also if you expect overclocking go intel K series, ryzen will not go past 4Ghz without enough volts to insta-fry your build

Then you should absolutely upgrade. An 8320 will massively hold back a 1070 in most games. Even in the heavily-threaded ones where Piledriver can shit, Ryzen will shine even brighter since they're perfect for it too (and it has far better IPC).

>where Piledriver can shit

*shine

Freudian slip.

>is ryzen actually good?
youtube.com/watch?v=TcdmeGOsnss

You tell me.

The colour coded numbers are the CPU temperature right (in *C)?

(volts on the left, MHz on the top)

No m8, it's watts. I don't think any desktop cpu can even operate beyond 100C.

>i buy a 8 Core CPU with 16 Threads to play fucking video games

The real reason for poor benchmarks in games is Nvidia's shitty DX12 support is holding it back.

youtube.com/watch?v=QBf2lvfKkxA

pcworld.com/article/3175775/computers/ryzen-7-1800x-and-radeon-fury-x-building-the-water-cooled-fire-breathing-apex-of-amd-power.html?page=3

I've seen CPUs get posted at ~98*C so that's why I was wondering.

But good to know.

Thinking to update my Mobo-CPU too the AM4, as this old Intel of mine is shitting the bed constantly on a core error as of late.

Asrock AB350 Pro4 or MSI B350 Tomahawk? Does the extra price justify the Asrock one? I've heard the MSI B350 Gaming Pro is about on par with the Tomahawk too except for having fewer expansions slots but still can support 3200MHz memory, and it's like $60 cheaper (in my third world currency).

Don't use a GPU encoder for streaming, they need way higher bitrates to perform well.

>it was nvidia's drivers' fault all along
You couldn't make this up.

The MSI will be fine. You won't get 3200MHz RAM running on it unless you buy a CL14 Samsung B-die kit though.

More proof?

i.imgur.com/OjSIcgM.jpg

More proof?

Furxy X on Ryzen vs Titan X

>mfw this is identical to 1700 at 4.0GHz (in terms of silicon lottery it's about as good as 1700X)
>mfw I can get a future proof CPU that runs better than 7700K for $320
>mfw the 1600X will run the same for $250

Everyone knows your dated nazi benches dont mean shit after optimisation including recent windows update

The are pretty hilarious. Never thought I would say the day the fury x was on par with a titan x.

>i game and stream (gpu encoder).

>Don't use a GPU encoder for streaming, they need way higher bitrates to perform well.

/thread. ReLive and ShadowPlay have really low overhead, but their quality/bitrate both rather suck. Having more cores to throw at h.264 software encoding is half of AMD's argument for Ryzen gaming.

>TFW you bought a ryzen 7 1700 at launch but you still can't get your hands on an x370 taichi.

Provided you don't plan to overclock much, exclusively play games without a secondary workload, and are OK with the Early Adopter tag, yeah it's pretty alright.

Anyone can tell you these are bad for gaming, even though they say that because the red bar wasn't as long as the blue bar and don't consider that the numbers are still really impressive.
And before anyone calls me an AMD shill - I have an 5820K. Not out of want, mind you, but necessity. AMD hadn't done a damn thing worth my attention up until now. Ryzen's a legitimately good thing, and whilst it's not a record breaker in performance...the fact that you can get $1000 performance for $500 now (or even less if you're willing to OC) is what's paramount.

If I buy 3200 Mhz ram from the qvl list of a motherboard supporting 3200 Mhz, an I 100% guaranteed to hit that speed today?
And if I OC the CPU that guarantee is gone?

Don't, Ryzen is meant for multithread load. Or games that need more than four cores, once that time comes. It might work as ahead-of-time upgrade if you like shopping, but just for games, I don't think you need to upgrade yet.

R7 1700 OCs to 3.9GHz average and 3.8GHz on stock cooler.from 3ghz base.Performance is on par or better than the 6900K when OC'd and paired with decent ram.
The lower end Ryzens completely depreciate the i5 and i3.

heh. i'm no gaymen faggot, but:

-the 1700 goes for 430 dollars the cheapest
-cheapest am4 mb goes for 160
-plus i would have to get a new graphics card, and the crappy ones like the 1050 goes for 100 over retail at 270, the less crappy ones like the 1070 is above 600

on the other side

-the 7700k goes for the same 430. the 7700 is around 380
-cheapest mb is around 90
-no need for a graphics card if i use the integrated one.

easy decision. gonna stay on my pentium 4 until it dies.

>tfw I fell for the i7 meme
I was young and foolish

Ryzen is truly horrible. It's literally only useful if you do rendering/encoding or similar tasks all day long. It sucks at basic tasks like productivity and gaming.

|
|>
|
|x
|
|

Ryzen sucks at streaming too

AMD is jewing you hard with Ryzen, you literally pay twice as much for worse performance

> tfw Ars probably used software encoding settings that look worse than ShadowPlay

Brainlets like you who fall for such shitty bait are the real cancer.

Yeah I mean if you used GPU encoding it would be even more of a slaughter because the Intel CPU is way faster in gaming

There's no reason to upgrade a 4790k to anything, whether it be amd or intel. Atleast if your gaming/streaming. That said the ryzen cpus are good, now that they've gotten better ram support and bios updates, theyve seen significant improvements. However they're still plagued by those outdated week 1 benchmarks that people continue to throw around.

>benchmarks are bait

AMDfags are so delusional

Yes to the first. But you have to manually enter RAM timings and voltages.

No to the last. Overclocking your CPU helps overclock your RAM. Because the memory controller is integrated on the CPU die.

>But you have to manually enter RAM timings and voltages

Most QVL kits should boot via XMP alone. I've seen plenty of people report success with just doing that with the right kits (CL14 3200MHz stuff or anything 3600MHz+). It's generally when you buy something not on there (and not single rank Samsung) that manual tuning is necessary.

>proof that shitty nvidia DX12 drivers are gimping ryzen on RotTR
>mfw throttlefags are still trying to defend their aged quad core vomit

Neat, but how can you tell if it's single rank with the heatspreaders on there?

Any CL14 3200MHz kit and any 3600MHz+ kit will be. They're all Samsung B-die chips, whereas kits with looser timings or slower speeds are dual rank Hynix stuff (which Ryzen doesn't like at all right now). Anything which fits either of those conditions is safe.

Did you pre-order your taichi board? I got mine from Newegg, but it took about two weeks to fulfill the pre-order. So far running pretty well on the 1.60 bios with a G.Skill RipJaws V 16 x 2 @ 2400 kit on the built-in XMP 2.0 profile with no problems. The board did boot up the first time with the p1.40 bios with that ram kit at 2133 stock letting me update first to the 1.50 from a dos image, then through the bios flasher to 1.60.

Would a G.Skill Trident Z 3200C16D be compatible enough with a good B350 mobo? The one with CL14 seems more likely to reach 3200MHz but I don't feel like paying 40 bucks more for it.

Thanks.

Go to the motherboard website or the ram vendor and check the qvl list for compatibility.

Does this only apply to sticks that are 8GB or less?

You won't get anything more than 2933MHz out of that right now, and more likely 2666MHz. AMD say they're working on RAM compatibility though, so it might pay off in a couple of months.

The new Flare X series from G.Skill has 16GB single rank sticks at 3200MHz.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

>The new Flare X series from G.Skill has 16GB single rank sticks at 3200MHz
The link you gave is to a 2x8GB kit. Are they available elsewhere, or just not quite yet?

Oh yeah, the hazards of posting at 1am. In that case no, just 8GB sticks for now.

I have a 4690k at 4.6ghz, I mainly play games, but I despise hsving to exit out of all my programs so it isnt a stutterfest, would ai benefit from Ryzem?

A 4690k will be good enough for at least 3 years for games only, but a 6+ core Ryzen should help a fucking lot with the stuttering issues. For 220 bucks you can get a R5 1600 which is easily the sweetspot for Ryzen.

Enjoy your outdated motherboard.

Get the Askrock Taichi and that G.Skill ram designed to Ryzen. I think it's 3000mhz 14-14-14 or something.

What about 3d modeling like rhino?

Only reason is the gpus aren't being stressed at 720p.

Thanks man! I guess I should ask for it at work, I think I'll buy part by part so it doesn't effect my wallet as much(single dad here)

Don't

I meant to say o.t

The reason why you are seeing conflicting benchmarks is because you are seeing them out of context.

If you want a real answer to your question then you will be better served to just go and read actual reviews by actual reviewers. Anandtech almost always puts out quality stuff. Arstechnica has a bias towards nvidia/intel, PCgamer is of course only looking at these cpus from a gaming perspective, etc.

The reality of ryzen lies somewhere in the middle. It falls short of the 7700k in 1080p gaming. However, it still is able to pull 100+ fps in most titles. More threads will allow you to do more while gaming/streaming/whatever with minimal performance loss.

These aren't really accurate. If you game at less than 144hz then a Ryzen CPU will give you comparable performance to a 7700k. Extra threads are always a good thing, even if you don't have a usage case where you "need" them, you will still benefit from having the extra multitasking capabilities.

4c8t is only the norm because Intel has kept the market in artificial stasis for 10 years. It is really difficult to keep recommending i7s because the market is clearly moving in a direction that favors more cores. It has been since athlon, core2quads, the i series, and now with ryzen.

To answer your question OP - if you are upgrading because you want something new, then Ryzen is the obvious choice. Don't expect crazy performance gains in games over your 4790k, you wouldn't see them with a 7700k and you won't see them with Ryzen.

>$200 ram

All RAM is fucking expensive these days.
Ryzen really benefits from fast RAM.

>Ryzen CPU will give you comparable performance to a 7700k

That's hilariously untrue, look at the frame times, Ryzen is awful compared to the 7700k

>but muh unoptimized gamyen
Fuck off. Ryzen slaps the living shit out of everything Intel has to offer in raw performance. Buying a i7/Ryzen7 for gaming only is stupid as fuck anyways.

It barely beats the 6700/7700k in encoding. And this isn't even the bad one. (it loses in h.265)
If AMD had priced Ryzen 7 at $200 it would be a clear winner. Priced above the i7 it's meh. I could've bought an i7 6700k 18 months ago if that's what I wanted.

>performance from before the 1st Ryzen update
Okay schlomo

>only playing games

What kind of scrub doesnt do other things while playing?

>H264
hello 2010

To be fair, aren't these benchmarks from a month ago though? There should be an improvement for the R7 with the release of Bios updates + faster memory speed.

Modern games are trash anyways.

Encoding isn't really RAM speed limited.
(numbers are CAS)

lmao stuck in the past