Careers

What do you do for a living Sup Forums? Quick survey and careers general thread. Students and hobbyists welcome, good to get outside peoples perspective.

I work in software development for a company that makes COTs and bespoke applications for the fresh produce industry. We deal mostly with stock control, quality assurance and traceabillity, to help pack houses pass audits faster and with less room for error, but we also try to automate certain jobs and encourage a paperless environment. It's challenging and for the most part interesting, but can be quite stressful when a bug you create could end up costing a business millions. The company is a small startup, and I'm the first employee (apprentice software developer), so it's just me and two directors, so great for me with my social anxiety (I'm on Sup Forums on Saturday night, what did you expect). Same guy who posted the apprenticeship thread btw, thought I'd open up the subject a bit.

Pay ain't great, £1200 a month, but get moved onto salary next pay check, travel expenses and mileage, Christmas bonus and private health insurance which is rare in the UK.

Questions for everyone:
>Whats your job title?
>Who do you work for (no need to name companies)
>Does your company provide you with training and the change for upward mobility?
>How much do you get paid?
>Do you enjoy your job?
>How long have you worked in your field, and how long in your current job?
>Highest level of education
>Would you recommend your career path, and what would you do for a job if you had the choice of anything?
>Why are you not doing that thing?
>Ever take drugs while programming?(unrelated, just curious if it helps)

>Whats your job title?
app developer. technically self employed. no "real job". if it says on my profile im a developer i guess thats what i am.
no one.
>Does your company provide you with training and the change for upward mobility?
no.
i made like 200 dollaroos in 6 months. got a tax on it, so that makes me technically employed
>Do you enjoy your job?
better than washing dishes or working at a warehouse where people pick on you and dealing with peoples power trips.
started at the end of june last year.
dropped out of college. got cert.
>Would you recommend your career path, and what would you do for a job if you had the choice of anything?
i dont know, maybe if you are popular and know people. id like to play blackjack with good overhead or be a sought out music composer with good commission for video games or movies.
blackjack isnt a problem. but as a composer i dont know people. plus i got made fun of for playing piano, even now.
prescription helps makes actual labor digest easier but you gotta be motivated first otherwise you are gonna sit and not get shit done that day. Nothing feels worse in your field than an unproductive day.

>job title

Software engineer

>who do you work for

big name medical IT company

>upward mobility and training

somewhat, I get free licenses for online course repositories so I can keep my skills sharp. the company does allow me to change teams every once in a while if I feel like I'm not going anywhere

>how much do you get paid

mid $70k range, I'm a recent grad in an area with a lower cost of living

>education

BS in CS

>would you recommend your career path, what would you do for a job if you could do anything

I would recommend my career path if you enjoy programming and software design. and if you want a comfy middle class life without too much work. If I could do anything I would go back to school and study physics.

>why are you not doing that thing

School is expensive and getting a physics degree wouldn't do very much for my career prospects. I would rather spend my money on other things.

>ever take drugs while programming

sometimes I drink small amounts of alcohol. As long as I keep the dose low it seems to help me find creative solutions to problems. Increasing the booze level tends to make things go to shit

OP here, forgot to do my own
>>Whats your job title?
Software Developer, but deal with support training and installation too.
>>Who do you work for (no need to name companies)
Small startup, three people total with a couple of marketing arrangements.
>>Does your company provide you with training and the change for upward mobility?
>>How much do you get paid?
£1200 a month, should increase next month.
>>Do you enjoy your job?
For the vast majority yes, suffer with depression and drug issues so occasionally hate it for no good reason, but the people are lenient with my short comings and make it a great place to work, would like a couple more people for company though. I'm 20, a sixty year old and 30 year old morbidly obese videogamer don't quite scratch the social itch.
>>How long have you worked in your field, and how long in your current job?
Been working there a year and two days, before that was working at Maccys, and before that two years of college (American highschool) studing software develpment and IT (biggest waste of two years, if you have choice get an apprenteship.
>>Highest level of education
College, currently doing degree level apprenticeship, one year left to complete.
>>Would you recommend your career path, and what would you do for a job if you had the choice of anything?
Always wanted to be a video game developers, games were most of my childhood, but also kind of like the idea of working on a Ski slope. Great sport, think it would be fun to do. Oh and youtuber, the thing I spend the other 10% of my free time on.
>>Why are you not doing that thing?
Lack of experience/competitive market, lack of talent and social anxiety, and I'm too much of an antisocial fucker to speak enough for commentary.
>>Ever take drugs while programming?(unrelated, just curious if it helps)
Tried working on a side project on MD tonight, worked out well as far as I can tell but wont know till morning. (cont on this point, chatty fucked is good fucked)

(cont, warning, fucked on drugs, so if youve never chased to magic dragon feel free to ignore)
So as I say, MD seems to help focus, I got a good few hours work done on a project I had been set to abandon, but after a few line feel more like posting feelsy shit on four chan and apologising to people I've wronged since last time I did it (quite typical reaction as far as I can tell), In terms of damage, I've done the stuff six times over three years (smoke weed every day, whenever I try and quit I treat myself to a night on MD), and the biggest effect it's had is marginally worsen my depression (although I haven't felt suicidal since I started to stuff, which is dramatic improvment). Physical effects include a small hole in my throat from a mad night, and a bit of damage to my nose shape, but about it. Would definitely recommend for an occasional social drug, I've had friends who have gone on to do way too much and fuck their heads up completely, but really helps you connect with people on a different level if you do suffer from bad anxiety's and depression. For instance, I'm usually so socially distant I don't post on Sup Forums, even though I know I have to protection of anonymity, I have a fear Ill admit to something embarrassing in a distinct enough way for someone I know (couple of friends lurk this board) to recognise me and call me out in real life. This must be quite funny to read, guy on drugs shit posting, but feeling quite solitary right now so anyone got any questions about any of this shit or my job hit me up, would be good to interact with someone I don't have to worry about trusting, and if your feeling down I got stories that'll make your problems some trivial (unless you like killed a kid, I just had a shitty life and got a drug addiction, some shit I can't relate to)(Could try, and the drugs tend to speak kind words for me, so give us a shout even if you are lol)

(cont while still hopefully coherent)

>Whats your job title?
Parttime webdev next to studying computer science
Onlineshop
Didn't really have any real webdev experience, my boss put me in front of projects and let me figure stuff out on my own. That was my training. Other than that, no. No upward mobility.
13 € / h
>Do you enjoy your job?
More or less. I'm more janitor than architect, but I can work from home whenever I want so and about how much I want.
Almost 3 years, and almost 3 years
High school, currently studying computer science.
Yes, for now. Never thought about my favorite job.
Been drunk relatively often when programming private stuff. Makes the whole thing more fun and less frustrating.

>Whats your job title?
Project Manager
Direct Mail Marketing Company
they're kind of shit at both but getting better.
48k/yr (in SE Iowa - super low cost of living so pay is very good for this area)
>Do you enjoy your job?
Yeah, its okay. Actually kind of boring/easy.
but it's 8-5 Monday through Friday with all holidays off which can be hard to find around here.

But the main thing to me is - it's in the location I want, my environment is pretty laid back. My boss is laid back. Being late or leaving early or stepping out isn't a big deal. Not punished for being sick or having to miss a day due to something serious. Long as you don't abuse the leniencies its all good.
Just is a pretty chill easy-going work environment as long as you get your work done.
1 year / 1 year. I graduated college in 2015 and worked for Target as an Executive Team Leader for 7 months then came here.
BA in Communication - Digital Marketing/Imaging.
maybe, depends how ambitious you are.
I'm not super ambitious - I just wanted good enough pay to live comfortably in this area and be able to enjoy my car/motorcycle/computer/boat hobbies. I bought a house, have my cars, truck, bike, boat. Have a cat and a gf. It's pretty much everything I wanted at this point.

I still don't know what I really would LOVE to do. Ideally I know I'd like at some point to work in the automotive industry.
Not really sure what that thing is yet. I'm happy where I'm at though until I figure it out.
>Ever take drugs while programming?(unrelated, just curious if it helps) n/a

Thoughts on how shitty EPIC is?

>13 /h
p good for uni kids

cernerfag actually

and yeah you wouldn't believe the garbage that goes on behind the scenes

(cont, not od'd, just went for a fag before checking spelling/grammar and page refreshed. This is now two posts, trying to reduce amount but this stuff really gets you offloading shit on your mind. Ill use the trip Fucked Off His Face for anyone who wants to ignore my shit)

So just to wrap up MD is well worth a couple of goes if you struggle to open up the people around you, I have breached subjects with people I would never dare to usually and have rarely done since, and does seem to be good for focus on personal projects that usually get shelved in your usual life. Wouldn't do it regular, I've seen it really fuck people up (good story there, if anyone is wanting to hear more of my bullshit), and if you already suffer from a mental illness all drugs should be a no go, unless you have advice from someone you trust with that kind of thing.

(Sorry for the delays, what I said at top and Sup Forums thinks I'm spamming, don't think their far wrong lol)
(cont, sorry for the length of the bullshit lol)

Cont, again, last once this time unless someones interested I'll fuck off to a feels thread, but this was always my board and I think despite how fucked I am I'm in a good place to help out people who also need to speak to someone, the programmers life tends to be quite isolated and despite my current state I've been through a lot of shit and come out not too bad, and again this stuff really does help you be honest with people. Again, said this was the last but actually second to last, trying to stop writing ridiculous amounts but feels good to off load. If I do become incoherent or inconsistent at any point let me know and I'll likely stop, starting to feel the effects ware off and want to dump this shit while I'm still feeling it)

I get that these posts may not be a great advert for it, but trust me, and when I wake up in the morning and the depression and anxieties kick back in doubled due to the comedown, I'll feel a lot better about coming back to Sup Forums and not lurking.

Developer

Debt collection

£2470 p/m plus travel insurance and BUPA healthcare

yes you can move around and go on training, ive done several sql ones

No to put it blunt; i work with mssql and c# building applications to capture or show customers details basically, each new application becomes nothing more than an excercise in copy and paste of the last.
after 5 years, franky i debate driving into a tree every morning..

6 years with placement year

Ba(hons) / Masters in Business Information systems

i would not recommend it no.. it becomes boring very fast, my health, even though i excercise has dramatically declined, i nearly always have a bad back from the shockingly shit office chairs;

ive been training to become a pilot instead for the last 11 months, this job is nothing more than a pay check to fund that at this point, sadly i still have at least 18 months to go. so yes i am doing that thing.

no, although i pretty much need a monster a day to survive work at this point

(anti-spams really fucking me, second to last again, sorry sober people)

(Had to skip a paragraph here, will post next post but anti spam really didn't like it)

Posted for a little while after and then someone took trolled me (nothing major, can't even remember what was said now) and the anxieties suddenly came back even in this space, took me till tonight to fell confident enough to post again.

I'll stop posting my shit unless someone actually wants to read it, would be good to chat with someone, and as I said if anyone else is down I'm good with that shit. Thanks for everything Sup Forums, even if y'all don't reply to me while I'm fucked off my face y'all did convince me to not end it all on many occasions with the feels threads on Sup Forums and just having anons to confide in on nights like tonight.

If this is the last, goodnight all, and believe in yourself, no one else truly will apart from family and once their gone, it really is just you. Again, sorry for the length, and could really do with someone to speak too. For everyone not interested in chatting with someone this fucked, Ill use a trip y'all can ignore, I'll use Fucked Off His Face, seems appropriate)

Again sorry for the delays between posts if anyone's interested, Sup Forums is sure this shit is spam, still reckon it may be right lol(again, while since my last line, insecurities and depression kicking right back in, that and being British are the reason why I'm apologising so much for shit that really don't matter)

>Cook/Dishwasher Pizza Restaurant
>$8.25/hr
>Wiper at a car wash
>$8.25/hr + hella tips

Living pretty comfy because I dont pay rent and have no bills. Saving up to move in with my girl though she makes a lot more than me as a hair stylist at a high end salon.
>20 y.o.

(Final if no responses (well. I'll treat myself to a quick summary paragraph as well) promise lol. Also please let me know if I'm incoherent or inconsistent, on a level I can manage but stopped reading back to try and finish my piece. I'm still sober enough to converse as far as I can tell, and once this is posted I'll do my last line so it'll only get more normal from there)

(First paragraph of last post anti spam didn't like (>90% of shit posted on this site isn't spam)

Overall, I lurked three years before I was eighteen. Can't seem to post missing paragraph without getting flagged for spam. I'll summarise, posted once when I was 15, the bleach girl's famous pictures (don't have them anymore, sorry pervs). Got banned so went back to lurking Sup Forums and a couple of others, came back when I moved house and changed IP.

Mods, if you read this, please don't ban me again, wont post out against the rules again, promise lol. This site has helped me a lot, and I would hate to loose my anons again.

Anyway, long story short, I was permabanned until I moved house, and I haven't tried to do something that stupid again (at least, not on Sup Forums, in a way mods really are gods around here).

(You)

(Final cont, I give you my word)
So, just to sum up, fucked as my trip would suggest and wanting to connect with anyone really, especially the board that was my escape back when I was really suffering with depression.

Would be great if anyone does want to chat, but get why y'all would ignore someone this fucked, but spent Saturday making amends with a lot of people I fucked over and now just want to speak to some fresh faces. Been through a lot the last decade, and despite my state should be concious enough to give some solid adivce if anyone needs.

Final thing, I know not many people on this boards will do drugs, not usually a nerdy thing, so I will just ask y'all to not judge people who are addicted to something. I have a problem with weed and cigarets, lucky I never had a reoccurring problem with MD and alcohol but their both social rather than an escape. About to have my last line, have a cig and come back, hope there's a white enough knight to chat to someone who fucked.

Tldr; Fucked off my face on md, want to offload shit and just chat generally, I know the tone of these posts may have been down but I'm feeling good for now. Know a fair bit about drugs and the like, and my other hobbies are video games and programming in case anyone is willing.

Thanks for reading, and for the escape during the dark times.

>Whats your job title?
SRE II equivalent
Large bay area tech firm
$160k cash + $80k stock
>Do you enjoy your job?
It's alright
Highest level of education
bachelors
If you're into large distributed systems. I found that while interesting, my passions really lie outside of software engineering (even though they require it)
Because I'm scared I'm going to regret giving up a well paying, comfortable job and career
Nah, I'd rather take two days and do it right. I find that rushing too much leaves bugs and poor design decision, and ends up hurting you later

Just took what turned out to be my second to last line, will reply to a couple people so just don't reply if you don't want to chat to someone this fucked, I definitely get it lol.

Would you say the problem of burnout comes from developing and the eventual endless repetition, or because of the environment your in? I've burnt out of the last couple of weeks, after a training course and two go live dates, and can't help but think I took the wrong career choice at times. Mostly just when I'm exhausted, but this first year working in software professionally the novelty of creating a full program out of nothing is definitely waining (can't spell and google won't help), I think the problem may be related to working in an industry I don't have a lot of interest in, fresh produce is a good market but doesn't require complex enough systems to really keep you interested in my opinion. So should I carry on in my current job (obvs will till end of apprenticeship anyway, may as well get the qualifications), where there's a lot of room for moving up the chain as the company grows, or try and find a job in something that actually interests me?

Job sounds chill desu, used to work just under full minimum wage at McDs, and despite the job being shit the lack of real responsibility makes it worth it. Used to smoke weed the entire shift, whenever I could sneak out for ten minutes, and managers did not give a shit.
I did my job (night shift closing shop) more than well enough, after working there for just under three years while at college then looking for a job I was the most experienced person in the place that didn't move up the ranks.
Moving into the corporate lifestyle may be worth the money, but making mistakes can cost clients serious money and time, so the stress can fuck with you a lot. You going to try and get another job, or you happy with what you doing now?
I get how appealing an easy life, but at the same time getting up in the morning and wanting to go into work feels so good.

>Whats your job title?
Information & Resource Support System tech.
I legit work in a mental institute!
Yes. I plan to finally have my employer pay for all the certs I've read up on but never wanted to put the money towards.
A paltry $31K, but I guess it's a starting gig of sorts and overtime and such will help. I also hold and maintain a side job for my local school board where I act as their IT admin for a few systems.
>Do you enjoy your job?
For the IRSS job, that starts Monday and I have my reservations, but should be fun. As for the school admin job, I love it and would stay if it went full time.
About 3 years or so.
BA in psychology/criminal justice.
No, because I only got into IT once my job in corrections didn't work out. Didn't want to move and start again in that field, so I went with my long time hobby. I plan to continue it and would love to get into system administration or infosec if I can manage to learn a few programming languages - namely XML so I can better work PowerShell.
Gotta start somewhere, I suppose.
Nah, no drugs here other than some booze as I'm reading up on stuff.

(Ill leave till I sober up if no one replys still, still can't shake the need to chat to someone but I'll go to a thread where no one knows how fucked I am, don't want to kill this one. I'll leave this open in another tab though, and I'll keep open till morning, so anything y'all want to say to me will be seen by a sane(ish) version of myself)

I think quality of life is important up to a point, and with the bank your making looks like it's well worth it. Work life balance is important to a point, but I guess when your making enough to retire within a decade comfortably it's worth it. You take any drugs in own time? Just curious, I know Sup Forumss shut in but with the amount of people who take drugs thought at least a few people would be.

>Whats your job title?
Subsea engineer
Subsea engineering company
None whatsoever
It varies but I made a bit over $100k last year
>Do you enjoy your job?
Hate it
3 years, got it from interning with them before
BS in Ocean Engineering
It's a neat job, but I'm at a shit company. The industry has been shit for the past 3 years and offshore wont pick back up for a few more years (if ever).
Quitting and starting classes in the fall, so: time.
I get drug tested too much to not be paranoid 24/7

Left off the:
>and what would you do for a job if you had the choice of anything?
I want to get into aerospace/aeronautical engineering.

I used to quite a bit, but not anymore.

(Chance to talk to someone in a mental institute I cannot pass up, last post if still no replies, again I give y'all my word)

Yo, someone who works in a mental institute could well help me out, give then shit that I've posted tonight (if it's not nonsensical), how crazy do you think I am? Obvs take into consideration I'm fucked well beyond normal to be able to open up to people, would you like to take a guess at just how gone my mind is? Feel like I can still solve all my problems without visiting a professional, I have a deep mistrust for psychiatrists, but I'm coming around to the idea that I may need professional help to get over my anxieties and depression. Hearing it from someone who works in the field, even as a developer, may be enough to convince sober me.

How did you switch fields? I have a degree in CS and applied to aerospace eng programs, but haven't gotten any acceptance letters yet. My work experience is fantastic, and I had fairly good grades from a good state school.

Fair enough, done anything interesting? As I said before, I'm a daily stoner, take MD on odd ocasion, and while in college tried speed, cocaine and mkat. Did some damage to back of my throat last time so I said it would be last, but I'm still not managed to quit completely.
So if you did ought, did you ever have any addiction problems, and if so did it impact your work life at all?

>Whats your job title?
Environment Artist (3D art for video games)
Ubisoft. There are a lot of companies that I would rather work for but they pay me and I'm in a position where I can just make art all day. The quality of the games has nothing to do with me so I don't let it bother me
They did at the start, I got tons of support from people. From here all I can really do is try and land a senior role
About £40,000 a year, so like £32,000 after tax. 3D art pays damn well
>Do you enjoy your job?
Yes, it's what I always wanted to do. Like I said there are places I'd rather work at but in terms of the day to day grind, I love it
About 4 years now, 3 at ubi. The first year was just freelance shit after like 3 years of learning.
Masters in game art, yes it's a thing, yes it's useless because all anyone cares about is portfolio
Yeah, if you like games and making models and environments. If you enjoy 6 fucking months of crunch time I'd say it's great. If I could be anything I'd be a jet fighter pilot, but who wouldn't.
Because I promised her a puppy for like 6 months from now
>Ever take drugs while programming?hell yeah, that was basically all of college

I haven't had any luck swapping to an aerospace job from my current job (I'm sure I could if I applied to more jobs). But getting into the masters program was relative easy for me. I went to A&M for my undergrad and Ocean and Aerospace have a lot of similarities - going back to A&M for masters. All I did was call up the department and said I wanted to go back to school and they said I was in. Trying to finagle free tuition now.

Professional NEET
Myself
Yeah
$0
Not really
~18 months now
BS
Nah
Too lazy
No drugs and no alcohol.

(I will stop fucked posting eventually, but keep seeing interesting people appear, and if y'all feel I'm killing thread just let me know, in my mind it's quite a funny read)

Yo, congrats on the job man, always been my dream to work in video games. I always thought that working for a major studio who has little respect for the medium other than as a money making platform might ruin games for me, I take it by you post this hasn't been the case for you?
Couple of other questions, if you'll indulge me:
>How did you get into video games? I found the industry impenetrable when I was job hunting.
>Does the industry value experience over qualifications of vice versa?
>What were you on in college?
College were fun times man, I spent the second year of a two year course sat around the corner from the college smoking weed and occasionally something harder when round a mates. So my main question to you, if you wanna ignore the rest,
>How was your experience getting of the drugs, and did you ever feel they affected you mind in a major way?
>And you career?

Trying to be brief but as is documented I'm well past that point, just hope I'm still making sense.

Why waste your life mate? This is coming from a recovering (relapsed) druggie, even at my worse I was always technically in one of the NEET categories, except for a month between quiting the old job and starting my new one. Whats holding you back man? You can tell me, I'll forget by morning lol.

I just design IT solutions for people and then have other people implement them.

I make $80k a year. It's comfortable.

OUCH! Please for your own good recognize that XML is a markup language and not a programming language. I understand that you're just starting out, I'd put more vitriol in my post if you weren't.

>Whats your job title?
Information Security Analyst

Large research uni

Yes, I have had my OSCP and CISSP paid for by this employer.

I'm pretty early on in my career, (My CISSP is a fluke, I was after the Associate of ISC^2 but they took some really weaksauce job experience I had and just gave me the full thing.) I'm in higher ed, so the pay is about 10-20% less than what I could make fully private sector. Right now I make about 60k.

>Do you enjoy your job?
Abso-fucking-lutely.

3 years total, one year this position.

AAS in IT.

There's a lot of pressure in infosec. I don't recommend anything other than "falling into" this field. It's extremely difficult to actually start from scratch and say "I'm gonna' be a l33t h4x0r". But if you can break in, I can say it's great.

What I can recommend is working in higher education in general. Most higher ed orgs offer unbelievably good work culture, and amazing flexibility. Also they don't drug test. Only problem is low pay and ancient systems.

Also, I'd continue along this career path.

It's Saturday, and I'm beat. I'll work on it tomorrow~

No, but it's an interesting idea. I don't think I'm a strong enough programmer to be able to BLZ IT or drop acid or w/e and have what happens to musicians happen to me with my programming. My employer doesn't drug test; most higher ed orgs don't, a substantial amount of faculty and staff would test positive, they'd have to shut down entire programs from firing faculty, etc etc. Maybe I will some time.

I will expand a bit, didn't read whole OP.

My company pays in full for all employee training and provides us with pretty good medical, dental, etc. Insurance.

I graduated high school and then got my Security+ and CCNA. I have no college education.

I firmly believe college is a scam; At least here in the United States.

>Yo, congrats on the job man, always been my dream to work in video games. I always thought that working for a major studio who has little respect for the medium other than as a money making platform might ruin games for me, I take it by you post this hasn't been the case for you?
That happened when I got into 3D really. I have respect for passion projects and I'm an autist so I mainly play flight sims. 3D art makes games weird. It's literally my job to find tricks and workarounds for environments and props so when playing a game I tend to notice them. It's more interesting than bad though. Weirdly enough it gave me more respect for shit like call of duty. Their environments are top notch and I know how much hard work it is. I think if I was a game play programmer I would hate video games but I just do art so I don't really get that.

>How did you get into video games? I found the industry impenetrable when I was job hunting.
I took a 15k course where I met people from studios. Once they knee me they were willing to look at my portfolio, once seeing that they were willing to hire me. I got lucky. You have to be really fucking good though.

>>Does the industry value experience over qualifications of vice versa?
Experience all the way, my degree allows me to teach, that's it. No company gives a shit for art, it's all in the portfolio. Show them what you can do.

>What were you on in college?
Mainly weed but a friend and I used to drop acid before class sometimes. Crazy shit.

>>How was your experience getting of the drugs, and did you ever feel they affected you mind in a major way?
I can't really answer this great, I don't have a very addictive personality. I smoked cigarettes for 9 years and one day I realised I didn't smoke for a month, I literally forgot to so I figured I didn't need em anymore. It was the same with weed and acid, I lost interest I guess, although neither are very addictive.
>And you career?
Acid gave me great ideas for environments

As someone who has worked around and been seen by psychiatric professionals, they basically function as unbiased individuals who are 1) There to listen to you when you're down or needing someone's input on a matter you feel you have no control over, and 2) Offer suggestions and recommendations/challenges that are intended to get you out of your slump. They can really do wonders for the non-addictive or the over-thinkers, but don't go into one thinking you can't trust them (keep in mind that they will still report your ass for illigal shit) as they are there to legit help those who are seeking help and to improve themselves.

Yeah I thought about wording that differently so that's my bad. XML just seems to be one of the few types of languages worth it enough to learn, but honestly I don't know what else could be out there for a system admin. I have 0 desire to code, but I'd learn how to if it made that more accessible of a career path.

Last post for a short while now, going to go purge all the drug paraphernalia I have laying around, quitting for good again tomorrow (I'll try and fail in a week, gotta keep trying I guess lol) Thanks for reading this bullshit if anyone bothered, and I'll keep this tab open and return sober in the morning. So anyone got any advice or does want to talk a bit of a depressed nut job just not while I'm fucked, give us a reply and I'll shout back in the morning. Been good to offload shit, don't like bringing family down so I shut them out mostly.

That don;t sound all that rewarding, you feel like what you do's worth doing? I mentioned earlier
that I get occasional burnout and I doubt at time I'm in the right job, would you say a job just being comfortable is enough? Or should you try and look for the job you actually feel good about every day.

Mans clearly new, no need to be so harsh about a simple mistake. There a shit ton of terminology in software, and remembering what it means it most of the job at times.

Sounds like a good job, you guys use the 90's hacker nickname around each other? Massive wasted opportunity if not.
Real question,
>do you need a formal degree to work in academia?
Love the idea of the job security and my Sister works in education, I see how good salaries can get at the management levels.
One last questions, do you have to protect systems you would rather leave open to scrip kiddies?
Reason I'm asking, GHQ (British NSA) offer apprenticeships that give degree level qualifications, not sure how motivated I could stay protecting the data I don't believe government should be gathering in first place. I enjoy my current job for the majority of the time, and wouldn't consider quiting for something that would be a big detriment to my quality of life without good enough reason.
If the works really interesting, I may be able too look past what it is I'm actually protecting, but I'll trust your judgement if you reply.

>mfw I instinctively tapped the invisible square on the street sign in OP's image
new google captcha when??

Last one before I set off to chuck everything, feelsgood.mov

Yo cheers for the advice, after this little meltdown on the thread think I may need to, clearly making amends with people I've wronged wont get me over my problems.
I'm covered under company health insurance too, so private may be an option, should I consider that route instead?
There's a few other details I could give you that may help you make a more accurate assessment of me, do you want me to tell them to you or leave you in peace?
May crash soon, so if you could give us some sort of contact details I will get back to you, but I get why you wouldn't want too, this thread leave a shitty impression of me. But with your profession I think you could help a lot, you fancy white knighting is the basic question?
Just two more questions while I have you, would a pshyc report drug useage to the police?
Dealt weed a couple of times in college, nothing major and no crimial record, I would like to keep it that way.
The other thing is how can you tell if you have lost it?
Had issues since my memory began, my first memory is related to a guy who molested me as a kid (this isn't the whole story of my shitty childhood, but was the start of my cyclical depression). Always was confident I was still sane enough, but after isolating myself for a year in a deep depression (said before, no longer suicidal which is a step up), don't think I can trust my own judgement any more.

Godspeed user, you could do some real good for me here.

Side note to anyone reading, said this stuff was great for opening up, told guy who used to be close mate of mine for first time ever last week about being molested as a kid, and felt so good to let it out. Never mentioned on here before either, but not as major when you'll most likely never speak to people again.

Job title: Surveillance Tech
Company: Casino in rural midwest
Training: Dunno
Pay: $11.50 /hr USD
I love my job. I do absolutely nothing all day and browse 4chin
Been working here a year
Education: Dropped out of first year of college
Recommend: It's pretty chill, so yeah.
Dream job: IT
Why not: Fuck school
Drugs: Dunno how to program, but if I did I would definitely do drugs while doing it.

>Whats your job title?
Electrical Engineer
A company that designs and manufactures various microwave devices,
Training is informal. Upward mobility is subject to when people decide to retire.
Salary, $70k
>Do you enjoy your job?
Yes, new challenges every day. Meaningful work.
3 years as a research assistant at uni. A month into my current job.
M.S.E.E.
Yes, I recommended it because you get a mix of hardware and software. I like having a physical product to work with.

If I could do anything, I would probably run my own business making knickknack electronics for the consumer market
Starting a company takes capital, and success in anything with hardware requires some experience since there are many gotchas that you can't just write a patch for.
Never, because defense is where the steady money is at and the federal government hates drugs.

Final post while still fucked, just purged the last of my paraphinapllia, juat got a single joint left for tomorrow.

Walking to sweat this shit out, then Ill smoke a joint and be back tomorrow some time.

Still want closure on a couple of things that I did to people while I was stuck in the spiral, so going to smoke weed a couple more times for that and to see me through tomorrows comedown. Ive said practiacallly everything I wanted too, and just wanted too add thanks again to everyone involved in the site. The people who have talked me off the metephorical ledge several times, everyone who reached out to us tonight, and the admins of the site who keep this place alive so the crazies like me have a community to come back too.

So again, thanks all, this probably should have been a feels thread or and adv thread, but g is my board and you nerds are my lost brothers.

As I said, Ill be back on when I come too , if anyone does want to say ought I should read when Im properly concious again.

Sorry for the depressing vibe and posting so much bollocks and thanks for being thete user, goodnight for good this time.

>>Whats your job title?
PHP developer
>>Who do you work for (no need to name companies)
A local furniture and appliance company that does 90% of its business online now
>>Does your company provide you with training and the change for upward mobility?
Yes/yes
>>How much do you get paid?
Jack dick ($15/hr)
>>Do you enjoy your job?
It's mostly bug hunting, the pay is shit, and they're even faggots about punctuality and breaks. But it's the field I want and I'm learning a lot.
>>How long have you worked in your field, and how long in your current job?
Two months for both.
>>Highest level of education
College dropout.
>>Would you recommend your career path, and what would you do for a job if you had the choice of anything?
I'd recommend getting a CS degree and starting at double my pay.
>>Why are you not doing that thing?
I will. After I have six months under my belt I'm going to push hard for a job at one of the trendy startup shops around here. Going to get paid much better and work on my personal projects, which is what I really care about.
>>Ever take drugs while programming?(unrelated, just curious if it helps)
Some things can help you focus. They aren't weed or alcohol. A lot of people in this sweatshop get stoned.

>Whats your job title?
Senior Network Technician
Small to medium size businesses.
Yes with annual performance review and career goals
$38,000 per year salary with overtime $200 per hour. 5% cost of living raise given yearly.
>Do you enjoy your job?
Yes.
6 years experience. 4 years in current job.
Bachelors degree. Major in computer science and minor in business.
Yes, however, not for everyone. Must be passionate with what you do. If I could, I would go back to school for Cyber Security.
Lots of it has to do with family but also has to do with location. The problem for me is that I am so close to my family. My location is hard to find jobs. If I left to pursue in this, I most likely would have to move to metropolitan city to find a good job again, especially something as good as what I got right now.
No.