>Aero
>Snipping Tool
>Much better design than XP
>new Movie Maker
>Widgets
>DX10
>ReadyBoost
>SSD TRIM support
>there's literally a whole Wikipedia article dedicated to new features "Features new to Windows Vista"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I still run vista. Should I win 7 or bsd?

Vista was the beginning of the end

>gadgets
>prototelemetry
>windows update 2.0
>aero

win 7

>what was wrong with Vista?
Nothing, it was basically a more aesthetic Windows 7.

Its performance needs were not adequately communicated to PC manufacturers, and not enough was done on Microsoft's end to mitigate that disaster in time to avoid negative PR.

I get why they go for flashy over lean, but this time it really bit them in the ass.

Screenshot or fake.

last Windows with proper original UI
it went downhill after that
maybe project Neon will help

Trim on ssd didn't exist on Vista from memory

Required anywhere from double to three times the memory XP did and provided no discernible benefit. UAC, Aero 1.0, which caused countless crashes and looked like absolute dog shit (Win 7.0 was where they got it right), NO DRIVERS. The OS was a fucking train wreck for the first year post release. Genuinely fucking awful, would even take 8.0 over it.

but mah Halo 2!!11!1

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

The one for 7 is longer.

Microsoft didn't have the balls to enforce the requeriments of Vista on the manufacturers.
Microsoft still was recovering from the shitstorm that Sasser/Blaster was. They had lot of valuable developers and development time fixing the shit with XP. Vista didn't had the same.
And also they moved the GPU drivers to the user space and updated the driver model. That was a good thing in the long run: Vista, in paper, was more stable thanks for that, but also made lots of old drivers unuseable. And developers where still trying to understand the new driver model.
And UAC. UAC weaned lots of bad practices in Windows programming, but that had the cost that every program triggered an annoying UAC prompt every time.

Nothing, the service pack fixed it

Mostly visual things.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista
Vista had new utility programs, new color management, new fonts, even ClearType for fucks sake. XP without ClearType looks like shit. Windows Media Center, hybrid sleep, and a much better search system.

>didn't provide disernible benefit
Literally the change of the driver model ended the reputation of Windows triggering BSoD every time.

stay mad cuckboi

Not Vista's fault that users were retarded and tried to install Vista on their XP Dell Dimension shitboxes from 2002.

>dimension 4600
had one of those. samsung cd drive completely destroyed 2 of my NFS cds. pos

I had that exact machine.

It was a piece of shit. Shipped with 256MB in 2003 and some hot ass P4.

>tfw I had to use a P3 with 64MB of ram until 2007

Why even live.

I stole ram from the extra boxes in the high school computer labs, so I could actually do something on the thing in 2007

Shitskin Texan, my friend. It was in a time where computers where that massive as now.
It was nice, anyways. A IBM Netvista A20. Solid as fuck, but the ram, for some reason, couldn't never be upgraded, the machine simply didn't POST every time I shoved a Ram stick on it.

truth. shit lagged so bad, even on a decent athlon 64 x2 with ddr2 ram and 7200rpm hdd.

wddm, man that was almost as bad as trying to install drivers for a usb flat-bed scanner in win98

yep

vista bad performance was a myth created by poor 3rd worldfags who couldn't afford 1024mb even 512mb ram.

That's what Vista Starter was for, wasn't it?

>512
Good luck with that, I had 1GB back in the day amd just starting it used more than half my ram and was still kimda laggy, on 512 it was borderline unusable.

I had an Acer Aspire 5100 with 1GB RAM and a Pentium Dual Core with Vista. It was slow, yes, but when things opened, it ran fine.

Who still uses XP???

Security-wise, GNU/Linux has always been the one that got UAC right, not Windows 7. (I know you're talking about Aero but still.) As you might know, GNU/Linux requires you to put in your password before executing stuff as administrator, and you can even create a separate password for it different from the password you logged in with. I guess for normies it's more annoying than Vista's UAC even, but for security it actually does something unlike UAC.

That search system was going to be even better back when it was powered by WinFS. In my copy of Longhorn Build 4074, I have a folder with a huge mess of music, and searching through it by name is just as quick as searching in the Sup Forums catalog.

>Longhorn Build 4074
Too bad it was ugly as hell.

do you have facebook? use google? or any non "open source" browser? then you are being spied on, friendo

It's A E R O

*Authentic, Energetic, Reflective, and Open

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero

A bare installation of the original Windows 7 is still widely available as an iso, just do some searching through torrent sites to find a reliable one.
DO NOT download a win7 iso from the microsoft website, since it comes bundled with all of their post-win10 telemetry updates.

After getting a bare win7 iso, all you need to do is make sure you turn windows update complete off, go the the microsoft website and download the service pack 1 update only and install it on your system.

I remember the hype

Vista will never die for me.

Vista had no drivers and people had computers too shit to run it. Therefore your printer didn't work and you computer was slow as dicks, which made everyone hate it.

However, it was the only Windows to have actual 64-bit support, so it was clearly the future while XP was legacy.

Reminder that Windows server 2008 (vista based) is supported for a few more years
It also supports more than 4GB RAM in 32bit mode

I wonder if anyone here has an itanium system with XP Pro 64bit edition (not the x64 one)

I've seen people talk about their Itanium machines here and there, I'm sure one of them has or at least had XP installed

I'm not either of them but I don't use either of those things. I don't even use a cell phone.

Longhorn needs to be rebooted as it was originally meant to be. That will be the only thing suitable for a "final" version of Windows.

I'll remember it as the Far Cry 2 OS

This is autism

hello yes this is dog

Vista was hated because of the "vista-ready" intel-MS shennanigans.

Crappy computers with basic specs being sold as capable of supporting aero and multiple new features that were resorce intensive had a lot to do in the shitty rep of Vista.

Example, the animations on some dialog windows. I very much prefer windows 8 graph that tells me how fast are my files transferring than some flashy and shiny rectangles dancing around.

Also Vista out of the box was resource intensive, you had to tweak a lot to get decent performance on crappy machines and even on some mid-range machines.

Yeah, vista had many useful things, but had many others that were just for show and brought slow machines to their knees, making tons of users furious, being deceived by the "vista ready" meme.

I would rather use Win 7 for a VM than windows vista.

Vista had so many more features than Win7. When I "upgraded" to Win7 from Vista Ultimate I was mad that they were cut out.

RIP you beautiful bastard.

>then you are being spied on, friendo
Do you have anything to hide or why do you care? I am not a criminal.

Well all three users better upgrade.

This
Windows 7 was lighter than vista though, and it was comfier too without all the black glassy and shiny things. And on top of that hardware had caught up

Why should I read such a long text? No thanks.

behold. peak windows

Vista was borderline unusable in anything less than 2GB, in a time where 512mb was standard

yeah u are right

So much to point in there, better delet that before someone does point all your shit out

Vista brings back some good memories.

>2 AVs
Shiggidy

Basically it was a big pain in the ass when it came to hardware compatibility and resource consumption.
Machines that flew on XP would run Vista like slow dogshit, many devices were unusable until new drivers were released, and Aero was a bitch that would crash often and generally fuck up.

Consumers didn't like it, and since it didn't run on older hardware, sysadmins didn't deploy it. SP1 really helped, but by then the damage was already done.

My first "real" computer had it, though. I get nostalgic whenever I see it... Minecraft SMP, early Youtube, pre-shit Facebook.
It was a gift from my single mom, who didn't make a whole lot. She got a good deal on a Core 2 Quad machine, and on that 7th grade Christmas I was the happiest kid on the block.

Actually is backwards. Linux has good security because it's fucking anal about it.
You don't have adequate separation between user applications and system applications, etc, etc. In fact, some times is more annoying than UAC, but we accept them because tradition.

>Why should I read such a long text? No thanks.
Because you might want to educate yourself on the subject you're discussing and see the opposing viewpoints? But who wants to do that?

Are you me? My first real computer, the nostalgia, Minecraft, early YouTube, a Core 2 Quad...

You don't think oems test out their systems prior to mass producing and shipping them? They were fully aware of what they were sending out.

I never had a problem with Vista but my first experience was with a system running a 2.67ghz Athlon II x2, 6gb of 800mhz ram, and an HD 3750. There had also been a service pack update. It was basically unusable as a 32-bit operating system, which was where the biggest problem stemmed from with all the non 64-bit intels floating in the market. Plus oems were shipping 32 bit copies of Vista even on amd systems.

Nice.

>breaking the laws is necesary to the progress of society
Absolutely jewish.

Windows Server 2008 SP2 had extended its support to 2020. I am pretty sure someone will find the registry that allows for updates to continue to be installed in vista

Did you then play lots of gmod, date some girl in HS for 2 years, fall in love, break up, join the military, never get over her, and become a functioning addict?

If so (or something like it) we should probably be friends.

Dated a girl for 4 years, 3 long distance, broke up with me before we'd meet again and spent a year being a NEET, didn't get over her until a year or so ago.

You're clearly worse off than me user but, that's a weird amount of similarity.

>muh Jews
>ignoring other important arguments

I need this to happen.

I dramatized a little, I enjoy my job in the military and don't really think of her, but for some reason she shows up in my dreams about once a week.
My usage isn't too bad, I've been on tramadol because I got a fucking cyst on my spine.

I have a theory that there are really only like 50 types of people in the world, and everyone is a slight variation on that.
It's almost to the point now where I feel like I can meet someone, and have a feel for them and who they are in about 5 minutes.

Steam?

Windows 2000 was my all time favourite. Especially after those hackers downloaded a shit tonne of the source code, MS had to fix a lot of security holes as a result.

You don't even need SP1. Original 2009 Win 7 with no updates works perfectly fine. I'm using it right now.

Definitely the best looking by far.

It was all the UI refinements and advancements of the 90's rolled into one cohesive product, no shit like Fischer price colors or ribbon interfaces, etc.
Such a shame that MS isn't putting out a solid, light, functional OS like 2k was. Now we have W10 with telemetry, ads, and the Microsoft store.

They need to be careful about pissing off businesses, because I know some CTOs who have been eyeing the OSX world because of W10.

What will people use once windows 7 dies in 2020?

I'm not gonna install windows 10 or 8, but I do need a windows platform for specific software

I had Vista in a dual boot with XP for a while and as an Core 2 Duo user with 4gb DDR3 at the time, Vista seemed slower and Aero shit the bed once in a while. I mostly used Vista for Dx10 games, but it was alright for other things as well, nowhere near as broken as some people claimed. Admittedly, I didn't get to see the sysadmin side of dealing with it, where the real problems were much more obvious.

As soon as Windows 7 came out, I scrapped my dual boot and never looked back.

Windows 7 doesn't "die" in 2020, you can keep using it forever. Dual boot with a modern Linux and you're good.

cont.

You can order a Mac Mini with 256 GB SSD and i5 with 3 years of Applecare for about 1k. Factor in a screen and KB/M, and you get 1.1k.
For a sysadmin, that's great. You get a machine that will last at least 4 years, 3 of which it's fully supported in case it dies, with an OS that you don't have to license and won't display ads on your lockscreen.

>keep using it forever
But I'd have to run a system full of gaping security holes, on top of the already insecure windows 7. That's unacceptable.

The hardware just wasn't there at the time it was released. That's all there is to it.

works great on a x61t

Added on SP2 afaik

So what do you propose?
I mean, you can probably mangle Windows 8.1 just enough to deal with the interface annoyances and avoid telemetry, but you said you won't install 8 or 10. There are no other options right now.

Call me delusional, but I think you can run without security updates, cause it's unlikely you will get personally targetted by attacks, and if you do, chances are that Windows updates aren't going to make much of a difference and that they're gonna get you through 3rd party software vulnerabilities.

Just use clean linux for more sensitive tasks like online banking, orders and accessing your offline backups. Don't put all eggs in one basket, especially if they're worth anything to you.

>windows media player
>not winamp

>windows live messenger
>windows media player
>desktop widgets
>wifi
>post 2010 steam account
>unironically watching iphone videos
jesus christ, delet this you french weeb

i remember my hdd had constant activity with vista. It was so annoying. Had a good pc so it ran fine though. Quite liked it, very very stable compared to xp.

>tmp
>saved since 2015
what did he mean by this?

At the time they released vista, it used so much resources most applications couldn't run.
Back then computer games was sold on CD's and they had to list the computer specifications needed to run the game.
They had to make separate listings for xp and vista, where vista you needed twice as much memory and often a faster processor.

For everything else, it just meant that your computer was slow.
Microsoft later made better defaults and computers got faster and when people finally realized it wasn't all bad, 7 was out.

An OS is like a government and the resources it uses is like a tax.
You want some OS, to make things easier, but when there is too much, it gets in the way and people gets upset with it.
If you then add useless features and shove it in the face of the user, they reject it.
Do you remember the super + tab feature they added?
It is like they have to add something last minute that is so idiotic that if they had any leadership, they would remove it, maybe it is some diversity thing and they have to include it.
XP had the fisher price theme, vista had the super + tab feature, 8 had full screen menu system, 10 introduced "working hours", it is like they cannot resist to put some useless feature in there nobody wants, or even could use because they designed it so poorly.
I personally think they do this just to mess with people as they know that it is not like people will just leave, it is still the default for poor people.

>what was wrong with Vista?
it was too hardware demanding at launch

>Vista officially dies in 10 days
goodbye my old friend
you were the most aesthetic modern operating system MS has created :(

>Much better design than XP
bait.jpg

it's true tho
XP looked like shit

it was almost as buggy as windows me. also just because it does not get updates does not mean that something is "dead"

Just install ubuntu or something, odds are your computer that came with vista won't be able to run 7 or above.

Run FreeBSD to support freedom.

This is ridiculous, 7 came out like 2 years after vista.

the security holes wont do any harm if you use it only for things that require windows. browse the web with linux or something.

Windows has been shit since XP imho. XP was a simple and intuitive system with a nice UI. Anyone could use it. Now it's an overcomplicated mess, Just look at 10. Fucking ugly black taskbar with tiny icons and black start menu with ugly tiles flipping everywhere. Truly a system designed by non-whites and you can tell.

do they still have only a white theme for windows like the file manager?

I dunno. I had to go back to windows 7 because the whole system made my eyes hurt.

A lot of the computers that came with vista could barely run it, what makes you think it would be able to run 7? Even on the microsoft website they recommend just buying a new computer if you wanted to upgrade.