Is Manjaro the best Linux distro ever created?

Is Manjaro the best Linux distro ever created?

>manjaro
>man jar o
gets me every time

install gentoo

No, but it's okay until you grow up and install Arch.

One of them. I've used so many distros, and Manjaro is comfiest so far.

Yes, by far.

It's like Arch but for people with a job.

why

what do you mean?

exposed for manjaro shills

manjaro is literally one of the worst distros ever

People with jobs usually have less free time than NEETs. Manjaro comes with a nice, easy installer, a good default selection of packages for Xfce, KDE or GNOME so you get a full featured DE from the start without having to decide every package that goes into your system, they also have their own update repos so you they test the bleeding edge Arch packages to ensure everything is smooth before releasing it to the public, and some bundled utilities like the hardware drivers installer (like Ubuntu).

But you also get some Arch features, like being *almost* bleeding edge, the AUR, the huge selection of packages, the documentation and Wiki, etc.

Arch is aimed at competent linux users.
Are you trying to imply that people with jobs can't be competent linux users?

explain.

It's not bad and the bloat is pretty minimal compared to many out-of-the-box distros. Wasn't as stable as Arch for me though.

Arch is for ricers. End of. Competent Linux users have 2 use cases.

1. A simple OS that gets out of the way - like Ubuntu, Manjaro or Opensuse
2. A highly configurable OS that you can totally build from the ground up - like Gentoo

No, that would be Ubuntu. Literally, not even up for debate.

If by shill you mean someone who has it installed on their machine, and happy with it's performance, then guilty as charged.

it's just a pre-riced Arch with more bugs. Lame

Can people please stop making Linux distros "based off of" Arch or Debian and just start putting their efforts towards improving the main ones like Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

no. it's shit.

ubuntu/debian/fedora/arch/gentoo are no better then the other, they are just made for diferent people. any other distro is shit, and they only drives developers away from improving the existing (and relevant) distros.

Its awesome and I love it. Arch without the headache.

I'm thinking of reinstalling the openrc version too

This guy is a literal retard.

>headache
In what way does Arch come with headaches that Manjaro doesn't also suffer from?

I dual boot both. Arch can be unstable sometimes, Manjaro usually just werks

Manjaro community has got no bones if you want it to just werk, while the Arch community chimps out if you even want an installer.

Arch is fast and fun though most of the time

What makes Arch so different from Gentoo? I've used both and realize Gentoo is more customizable because of the USE flags, but the installation process and base system is very similar, the only relevant difference being that Arch defaults to systemd.

I got Manjaro XFCE on a Thinkpad T430. When it has been unused for a while the screen gets locked. After that my external mouse turns the scrolling back to normal even though I have set reverse scrolling from mouse options. When I see that it has happened again I go to the mouse settings and the checkbox for reverse scrolling is still checked, so I have to uncheck it and check it again for it to turn back to normal. It seems like a bug to me, does it happen with anyone else?

> What makes Arch so different from Gentoo?
The package manager, obviously?

Arch's pkgbuilds aren't nearly as versatile and complex as ebuilds.

> but the installation process and base system is very similar
Not really... good luck doing Arch on ARM or SPARC. Gentoo isn't perfect there either, but it gives you a serious hand with doing that. It just has a far bigger tool kit for doing such things.

Manjaro-openRC yeah
>Calamares installer
>no systemd
>pacman and AUR

Mannaro is good, but sometimes packman has some issues. Perhaps it's due to my inexperience, though I can't figure out how

THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH SYSTEMD, RETARD

DO NOT! I REPEAT. DO NOT INSTALL MANJARO!
IF YOU WANT STABLE ARCH USE ON OF THE VARIOUS INSTALLERS AND SELECT THE LTS KERNEL. IT'S BUTTERY SMOOTH AND PROBLEM-FREE. MANURE-O HAS NO REASON TO EXIST OTHER THAN TO SHIT UP PERFECTLY NICE DE'S WITH THEIR SHITTY GREEN SHIT!

what's so hard/time consuming about tiping less than 10 lines for installing what you need?

yes

>tfw beta testing for the Manjaro master race
Stay cucked

It probably is, I've been wondering through distros for some time and once I got in Manjaro everything felt awesome, even learning Linux now lol

>I DONT LIKE THE COLOR GREEN AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THEMES SO I HAVE TO SHIT ON A PERFECTLY GOOD DISTRO FOR NO REASON

To the people who argue that the packages are 'old' and similar arguments and anyone who may be interested in Manjaro here is a cool thing about the distribution I've never seen anyone mention that I'd like to shed some light on. It has THREE distinct types of software repositories:

Unstable: **the Manjaro unstable repos sync with the Arch stable repos** Using the unstable Manjaro repos is virtually the same as running Arch stable. Packages then move through the Manjaro testing repositories until they reach the stable ones.

Testing: These are used to store patched packages from the unstable repositories, as well other new software releases that are considered at least sufficiently stable. This software will be subject to further checks by developers and testers for potential bugs and/or stability issues, prior to being released to the stable repositories.

Stable: The default repos that most of the Manjaro userbase use

The "consequence" of using this model is that Manjaro's default stable repositories will be updated slightly later than Arch's, in order to accommodate the testing process. However, you can completely bypass the process by using the testing repositories instead.

-Enabling the Testing Repositories is easy too-

open up pacman-mirrors.conf with root access
gksudo gedit /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf

Once you've opened the file all you have to do is change the branch value. The 5th line reads Branch=stable change it to Branch=testing e.g.
## Branch Pacman should use (stable, testing, unstable)
Branch=testing

After saving that update the mirrorlist
sudo pacman-mirrors -g

And finally synchronize with the testing repos and update your system from them
sudo pacman -Syyu

You can convert back to the stable repos at any time with the same process. Neat huh?

LTS isn't beta testing. It's proven stable.
Manure-O devs can't even plagerize a working system and have it not end up in a total mess. It's users are getting rused.

got em

He's right though, LTS already exists and is better than Manjaro's meddled with poop. Manjaro exists only to be green and break.

people who use manjaro do it because they didn't want to go through the arch installation process or because they're newbies and manjaro was suggested to them as a beginner friendly distro

arch is not an alternative to manjaro. ubuntu and fedora. maybe fucking mint for assholes who can't install cinnamon by themselves.

>LTS isn't beta testing. It's proven stable.
>Manure-O devs can't even plagerize a working system and have it not end up in a total mess. It's users are getting rused.
How did you manage to get so far off topic? This isn't about just the kernel, in fact it's more about the packages.

>LTS already exists
The Kernel isn't the issue fuckface see got em

>The Kernel isn't the issue fuckface
Perhaps you should switch to Mint.

> I dual-boot both

Hahahahahaha what the fuck

>Perhaps you should switch to Mint.
Why? I don't even have a problem using Arch proper. Don't fallacy me bro.

No, its Fedora

What is the point of using Manjaro then? You only have to do an Arch install once. It takes just a few minutes whether you use the default install or Arch Anywhere. Why bother with a derivative?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

No.

I'm not him but there absolutely is a point in Manjaro. It's not a halfway distro, it's a full distro. You click next a couple of times and you have a working system with everything included. It competes with Ubuntu and Mint. Only full distros have any potential to be widely adopted by other people than Sup Forums users. Manjaro has the advantage over Mint and Ubuntu that it can use AUR, so people only need to learn one big place for all their software needs. If Manjaro becomes the next Ubuntu then maybe big and popular software gets ported to Manjaro first, meaning they are then compatible with Arch as well. That means Arch users also win in this.

Where is the gnu logo?

manjaro kde is cute but I find *buntu LTS distros more stable.

if you like zero security, sure

Explain

search "manjaro security"
wew that was hard, right?
I know why I avoid this cancerous shithole usually...

>2 clocks

>makes throwaway threadshit comments and won't back them up.

Please continue avoiding this shithole, we'll do fine without your stupidity here.

>ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?
neck yourself or go back to rddit, but i'll indulge you anyways.

If this is about "m-muh SSL certificates" then you should know that the people responsible for that are no longer in charge.

if this is about security updates, then you should be aware that it's pretty common for major security updates to be manually pushed for updates and is generally kept up to date with arch for major security upgrades unless the update is stupidly bugged. Hell, even the mainline repo doesn't seem to be as held back as far as possible as it used to be, coming from somebody who uses arch and manjaro.

So unless there is some magical insight you have gained that those lowly mortals on Sup Forums are unaware of, I think you're shitposting.

FYI if you google Manjaro security, you are sent to a million rddit posts, forum posts, and the likes.

It's nice. I don't really have a great reason to use it since I used Arch proper for nearly 2 years with no issues. I just installed it on a whim but I like it. Arch/Manjaro/Antergos are equal imo.

This too. Manjaro is looking like the next big thing since it smooths out all of the rough edges of Arch.