/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=klb.android.lovelive_en
a.safe.moe/J8PwF.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sennheiser HD600.

Phillips SHP9000

Schiit Fulla2

looking to upgrade from the MDR-V6 I've been using for 5 years

what should I buy

>Budget

>Source
PC headphone amp (Sound Blaster Z)

>Type of headphone
Full-size

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
Doesn't really matter, but is a plus

>Sound signature
V shaped. I like nigga bass and crisp highs.

>Past headphones
Sony MDR-V6 (relatively flat response except for the hissssss snek sibilance), Tascam TH02 (actually rather impressed with the sound quality of these, bass is pretty strong)

Your are basically describing the DT880, just pick the impedance that better suits you.

Yeah, I was listening to my friend's DT880s earlier and they sounded pretty good.
Are the Pro or Premium any different?

Want some good headphones to listen to idolshit.
Budget:$360
Source: Aune X1S
Closed or Open doesn't matter

The pro has a coiled cable, more clamp and looks cheaper. Premium has a straight cable, less clamp and comes with a carrying case.

same poster? because dt880 isn't nigga bass

My old headphones met an unfortunate end, so time for a replacement.

>Budget
~100 USD, fairly wiggly

>Location
USA

>Source
Roland Quad-Capture, so them coming with a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter from the factory is preferred, no idea how common this is though

>Type of headphone
Over ear

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Would take a cut in comfort for better sound

>Sound signature
Neutral as possible

>Past headphones
They will be replacing my Sennheiser hd-25 ii.

Would prefer a built in mic if they're not garbage at this price point.

MDR-V6 or MDR-7506.

DT880 tries to be neutral (fails though... has that beyer peak). Not vshaped.

>mfw i separate her ass cheeks to reveal her wrinkly olive

DT990 250 or 600 Ohm

Every headphone on the market fails to be neutral, bar headphones with active equalization.

"Active equalization" would be the opposite of neutral.

Elaborate.

Just ordered a Cambridge Audio DVD89 player to play SACDs on. I'll finally get to see it there's any percievable difference between redbook and super audio.

Well, say there is a "flat" target in the headphones EQ and you feed them a "vshaped" input.

The active EQ adjusts the equalization so that you get a "flat" output. At that point, you're not reproducing the "v-shaped" input.

Why not a PS3?

Then you can use this: github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper

And then you can play these dsd files with a usb dsd dac.

This post is truth.

??

If the EQ is compensating for the frequency reponse of the headphones to give them a flat, neutral response, how does that make them the opposite of neutral?

you can stop replying to yourself now

>inb4 right click, inspect element

Idjit single-headphone owner.

t. Literal retard

Well i never knew that was possible..
To do that however i'd have to get a ps3 (not expensive), and a dsd capable dac (quite expensive).
I won a bid on the cambridge player and got it for 106 AUD including postage. Plus i can use it to play everything.

yeah? Yeah? Prepare your anus.

Thanks for sharing that.

You are so welcome!

I thought the pillow were her humongous tits from the thumbnail

>he uses $2 kmart cans

Your god smells of Doritos and piss.

You and me both.

I want to lick her feet

>The device in question only needs 12V 400mA

That's not an adapter, it's a small amp. Just buy an american120VAC 12VDC wall wart with an inverse polarity plug. Or buy a normal one and swap the power inlet wires on the amp socket.

Looking to get something for listening music at work, but without disturbing everyone around me.

>Budget
150€ very flexible
> Location
France
>Source
PC audio jack
>Type
Full-size
>Open or closed
Definitely closed
>Comfort level
I'd like something fairly comfortable
>Sound signature
Don't really mind, something neutral I guess.
>Past HP
Audio Technica ATH-AD700, I love these little guys, but they aren't closed so I can't take them to work.

The DT990 Pro is probably what you're looking for.

For under $50 and with Bluetooth, how would the Creative Sound Blaster Jam, Photive BTH3, or the Skullcandy Uproar be for casual listening and a cheap throw-around headphone?
Anything better in that price range with bluetooth?
I'm just looking for something on par or so with Earpods and I'm looking for something cheap so if it's ""borrowed"" by the average Jamal or get damaged, it won't be a tragedy.

But you didn't say EQ, you said Active EQ.

Active EQ is a meme.

>and a dsd capable dac (quite expensive).
No, they're not. There's El Cheapo (

You have to admit i got a good deal on what i got...
Could i really trust the quality of a sub $100 dac by comparison?

Do I need an amp with the Monolith 1060s? Like NEED?

Also, what are your thoughts on them?

HD 800S, HE-6 and Stax master race reporting in.

How good are HD600/650/6XX for the price?

>Vali lacks character.
is a amp an human??

Easily. Price is absolutely no object for sound quality for converters at that point.

>need
Depends on how powerful the output you have now is and how loud you want them to be. 50 ohm nominal impedance with power sensitivity at 96 dB/mW means a 1 Vrms output can drive it to around ~110 dB SPL. An output this powerful is common for mobile devices. Electronics with more dedicated audio hardware tend to be 2 Vrms(giving you 115 dB peak SPL) and this includes some motherboards and DAPs. Dedicated headphone amplifiers tend to be around the same or anything above. You decide.

Thanks, Ill get an amp eventually, just not right away. I'll be using a regular motherboard audio, which shouldn't be too bad. Thanks again.

better tuned than

No headphone does that.

>DSD
You don't get to do anything to it in digital without intermediate conversion.
When I say anything, I mean everything. This includes volume control, as well as every other form of adjustment in digital.
Digitally, I'm not sure you can do anything to a 1-bit track other than simple cuts. Mixing it is out of the question.

Why are headphones flimsy as fuck?
What are some durable headphones with durable cables?

Absurdly good.

Fuck off, richfag.

Beyerdynamic and Fostex makes some pretty tanky headphones

Beyers. Sometimes cables break but you can just removable cable mod them. All their pieces are completely replacable and Beyer sells almost everything even for old ass headphones. Pity they have sound issues.

Honestly though, just learn to solder and buy some hand tools and adhesives.. Repairing headphones is rarely more than some epoxy/contact cement, or a small soldering job.

I need to get a replacement asap. halp

>Budget
100-200 CAD(preferably closer to 100)
>Location
Canada
>Source
Android phone, PC, and PS4 controller
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Would prefer as comfortable as possible, I think my ears are a little bigger than most people's. As long as the sound is 3D I'll take any comfort level.
>Past headphones
Sennheiser Momentum. They seemed like exactly what I needed at first, but after about a month the cable broke at the jack exposing the wires. I would like to get a recommendation for something that isn't so fragile, as I move around a lot for my job.

>Beyerdynamic
Usual weak points in their circumaural models are the headband adjustment/connection piece made out of relatively brittle plastic and cables which aren't designed to be user replaceable. As always, take care of your gear. Only some wooden products have a tendency to break on their own(temperature, humidity) while paddings wear in use and the rest is up to the user.

Oh and stators don't like humidity either.

Do you now? ABX test is not that easy to do for gear.

I just want to play it and hear it. I just want to see what it's like, that's all. I use normal CDs for storing, converting, portability etc.

Which one has best mids and female vocals?

Awesome.

In general, so that they're light weight. HD600 and 650 for example weigh only 260 grams, which makes them very comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. Some models of headphones can weigh more than 3 times that. I would much rather have something more comfortable than something that will cause burning/irritation/headache feelings to the ears/head after shorter periods of time wearing them.

I have two friends and one of them has a very low budget (30~40€) and the other I guess it's 200€ or so, and then 150€ more if adding an AMP/DAC.

>Budget
30-40€
>Location
Spain
>Source
PC, no external DAC/AMP.
>type
over ear

IS the Superlux 660b the best for him? Sll the not listed stuff are not really important at all since he currently uses his laptop speakers.

>Budget
200€
>Location
Spain
>Source
PC, maybe he can add an external DAC/AMP
>type
Full/over ear, those bib ones.
>open or closed
Open or semi open
>comfort level
as much as possible
>sound signature
He listens to rock and the typical radio songs, so pop and such. So Neutral.

I was thinking about the HD598se, that is 140€ here sometimes, and it doesn't need an AMP/DAC at all. I'll tell him if he wants to spend some extra sheckles to get the Schiit combo or the FiiO one.

>user is butthurt because he doesn't have cans as good as his
Truly BTFO'd.

Hmm... are you into idols?

anyone know of headphones that really eliminate ambient noise?
More specifically, my co-worker listens to loud shitty metal music through her laptop and it's killing me.
Can't say anything for now cause I'm new, and if i could I know i'd still have to tell her everyday anyway; i wanna avoid that.
If anyone can point me in any direction, what to look for or whatever, that'd be great.
It's seriously killing me.
Budget: $150 (but I could do a bit more if necessary).
They don't even have to sound good or anything, I only need not to listen to this shit.

HD598se is very good advice for that profile.

amp/dac he'd benefit from a schiit fulla 2 (no need for stack for the HD598se, sounds the same)

>More specifically, my co-worker listens to loud shitty metal music through her laptop and it's killing me.

How's this acceptable? Complain to her and to management (in that order).

Using speakers or open headphones in an open office is antisocial.

I know man but it's like that here. I'd be laughed at if i complained about it

>schiit fulla 2
Yeah, I meant to say that with "combo".

And for the cheaper shit, are these superlux the best option? they are 32€ here.

bought new pair of beats EP for $60
theyre pretty good desu senpai

idols are sluts

Why isn't there an hd version of this?

Koss makes some that are tough as a tank. The sound quality isnt at all up to the cost though... The Pro 4 AA will legit out-last you, but sounds like the shittiest 'good' head phones that were ever made. They also weigh about 2x as much as the 2nd heaviest headphone.

The Pro4s sound quite a lot better(still worse than what you'll get from similarly priced cans) and are well made.

Beyond that, I guess look at studio monitors. The V6/V7506, HD280/380, etc... which are made to be treated like garbage and still last a while.

SMSL M3, Fiio E10K or Optoma NuForce uDAC-3?

Is there anything better than this that's not 1000$+?

Buy a gun with the money instead

Not really into idols but I do listen to a lot of anime ost and that's about 80% female vocals. So far I have HD600 and no amp, had one but didn't like it so looking for memetubes or something.

Why can't Sennheiser make the HD600 but with the aesthetics of the HD598?

Better question is why can't Sennheiser update HD600 but keep it relaxed sound since HD700 didn't do it for many.

I find my DT880 to be rather sturdy, but the most resistant headphone i've come in contact with so far is the MDR V6, it's built like a tank, mine sees some pretty heavy use for at least 5 years now and all i had to do was change the pads once, it's got a few scratches, but it's purely aesthetic, still feels and sounds like new.

Nah, sonoda umi is pure.

IRL idols, on the other hand...

Love Live the animation.

And for android: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=klb.android.lovelive_en

HD600 with schiit stack here, pretty happy.

And idols sound really good.

>Usual weak points in their circumaural models are the headband adjustment/connection piece made out of relatively brittle plastic and cables which aren't designed to be user replaceable

Actually their actual studio headphones (as in, produced to be used in studio, not by neckbeards at home who want """studio""" headphones), such as dt100/150/250 have literally everything replaceable. Cables, headbands, pads, drivers, you name it. You can almost purchase headphones in pieces and assemble like lego. dt150 also happen to be one of the best closed headphones in $200 range. They do look like shit though, and pads are shit sadly.

DT880, no detachable cable but it is replaceable and you can get it directly from Beyerdynamic.
Fuck your Schiit stack, faggot.

HD600 + O2 + ODAC master race.

Is there any difference. Even the price is roughly the same.

No audible difference.

Where do all these anime girls with headphones come from? Is it just fanart, or is it official ads from Japan or something?

I tried memlement and didn't like female Vocals, sounded dry and flat, otherwise I would have kept it.

because they're audiophiles, too

>sounded dry and flat
what did he mean by this?

So it's just mostly fanarts then? You never know with the Asian market.

Quit being a lil' cutie, you know what that means.

I assume from the lack of replies there is not. Truly the middle class endgame

never owned headphones before
SENNHEISER HD 4.20S or AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M40X

M40X.

All these Maki posts just make me feel sad. Is it wrong that I want to lick Maki's cum (other people's) soaked feet?

Good afternoon, /hpg/.

>file name
>tumblr

>Why isn't there an hd version of this?
There is. user is just not putting in the effort that a *true* idolfag would for their raibu :o
a.safe.moe/J8PwF.png (pic exceeds Sup Forums's limit)

Mainly fanart. Though some of the art may be made for a picture book, which may include a small review and specs of the headphone in the illustration. Other artists just choose to incorporate headphones based on what they personally own/enjoy or what they find aesthetically pleasing.

they do

HD 650

Can't decided between the M1060s or the X2. Anyone care to share thoughts? I mostly listen to hip hop, play vg, etc.