Android Overtakes Windows as the World’s Number 1 Operating System

news.softpedia.com/news/google-s-android-overtakes-windows-as-the-world-s-number-1-operating-system-514508.shtml

>Android is officially the world’s most popular operating system in terms of Internet usage, according to new data provided by StatCounter, as it managed to overtake Microsoft’s Windows.

>Figures concerning desktop, laptop, tablet, and mobile usage combined show that Android is now powering no less than 37.93 percent of the devices connected to the Internet, while Windows fell to the second place with 37.91 percent.

>Without a doubt, the huge growth experienced by Android in the last few years, which helped it secure a market share of more than 80 percent in the mobile industry, contributed to Google gaining the leading spot over Windows, and StatCounter describes this switch of places as “the end of an era.”

>“This is a milestone in technology history and the end of an era,” Aodhan Cullen, CEO, StatCounter, said today. “It marks the end of Microsoft’s leadership worldwide of the OS market which it has held since the 1980s. It also represents a major breakthrough for Android which held just 2.4% of global internet usage share only five years ago.”

Other urls found in this thread:

u.nya.is/tvhlve.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Android: 37.93
>Windows: 37.91

Whats the margin of error?

damage control

winfags on life support. It's the beginning of the end guys.

Normally at values this exact you'd expect an error between 0.005 and 0.01.

But it's probably more like 5 to 10 %.

and likely in favor of android when you factor all the cheap off-brand chinese smartphones globally.

Fucking good. Microshit and x86 need to die.

Poo in the loo.

>StatCounter
Ah, who cares?

The entire tech world is buzzing about it.

>The entire tech world
You mean all your little "tech news" sites?

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP
u.nya.is/tvhlve.webm

>all that for ubuntu

6.3/10
Some of it was funny

Android seems to be beating Windows at its own game, doesn't it?

Good, Windows needs to return to its roots. This whole "software as a service" meme needs to stop. Make an OS I want to use again.

>No web browser extensions
>Ad blocking not allowed unless you go through the effort of rooting, which manufacturers try their hardest to stop you from doing
>App developers use whitelists of the latest phones so you can't download apps unless you get a new phone they like
>Can't download OS updates, just have to buy a new phone every time
>Can't minimize videos without paying a subscription
>0 tablet support, just blown up phone apps
>No productivity apps beyond Word, Excel, and Powerpoint

>#1 OS in the world
I'm genuinely upset

>no web browser extensions
firefox mobile has extensions

>ad blockign not allowed unless you go through the effort of rooting
>what is dns66
>what is ublock origin with firefox
>what is lightning browser with built in adblock

>app developers use whitelists of the latest phones
simply untrue. Even for apps that claim to not be compatible with your device, you can just download the apk and install it yourself.

>can't download os updates
>what are custom roms

>can't minimize videos
You can with pretty much any third party youtube app, or if you have root you can use youtube background playback.

>0 tablet support
this is a valid complaint

>no productivity apps
>mobile phone
>productivity
im literally lamoing @ ur lyfe rite now 2bqhwy famalamadingdong.
I shiggy diggy.

lol, neither android nor windows 10 are operative systems

goym, those a re client systems

>simply untrue. Even for apps that claim to not be compatible with your device, you can just download the apk and install it yourself.
That's literally exactly what I'm talking about. Why the hell can devs just decide for no reason to block all these phones when the apps work just fine?
>what are custom roms
Something 90% of people don't do. I shouldn't have to void my warranty to get a fucking update.
>You can with pretty much any third party youtube app, or if you have root you can use youtube background playback.
I shouldn't HAVE to
>productivity
Chromebook sales just keep growing senpai, not to mention shit like DEX and RemixOS. People are clearly seeing Android more and more as a PC replacement, including for work.

>I'm too lazy to solve my problems, the post

So what's the ETA on web design getting raped further and all sites being mobile by default?

>firefox mobile has extensions
They don't even offer fucking noscript or a comparable extension at the least.

>>what are custom roms
Something that is being supported by fewer and fewer phones each year.

>no productivity apps
>mobile phone
Android works on tablets as well, and considering how much posters here go on about how you should get a tablet with a separate keyboard instead of a small laptop that's a valid complaint.

>I just bought this car and it doesn't start
>Lol just replace the engine yourself lazy

>implying rooting a phone is equivalent to replacing an engine
Big if true

>Have to unlock the bootloader, usually by exploits
>Have to get TWRP ported to the phone
>Have to wait for some indian to port Lineage to it, if it ever gets ported at all
>Just to update the fucking OS

OH YEAH

>comparing desktops and dumbphones