/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.
>filter dumb shills edition

State the purpose of your: PC, budget, AND COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.
List games/software you use if you mostly stick to those.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>G4560 remains the best if your budget is only around $500 or less.
>i3 are no longer worth getting with one exception: the i3-7350K if all you run is console emulators and Dwarf Fortress.
>i5 are no longer worth getting. No exceptions. Consider the 1500X or the locked 7700 instead of the 7600k. Consider the 1400/1500X over a locked i5, or simply downgrading slightly to a G4560.
>If you wanted an 7700k and can't afford it, consider a 6700k, locked 7700 or Ryzen instead.
>Consider only getting an SSD for what you planned to spend on an SSD+HDD. Add a HDD later once needed.
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are:
>integrated-GPU(iGPU), RX470 4GB, RX480 8GB, R9 Fury, 1070, 1080, 1080Ti. Also: 1060 6GB if the same price as the RX480 8GB in your country. 1050Ti if more than 30% cheaper than the RX470 in your country and/or you are doing a mITX build.
>The cheapest way to build a PC is by buying one part at a time as you see flash sales, not buying all parts at once.

>Today is the last day to buy Newegg giftcards off groupon through ebates to get 19% off up to $220. Buy them now as long as you can use the 10% bonus gift cards within 90 days.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Buy-a-150-Best-Buy-Gift-Code-get-a-15-Bonus-Code-165-Value-Emailed-/262913800958
forums.anandtech.com/threads/ddr4-single-rank-memory-for-ryzen-list.2501833/
pcpartpicker.com/list/QRKC9W
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824267006
amazon.com/RK-PRO104-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches/dp/B01GYMEHGA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490494978&sr=1-3&keywords=ducky one tkl rgb
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EPZI85Y/ref=pd_aw_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RTHVZAK3K2J7ESBANXQG&dpPl=1&dpID=41x5+RPcXpL&th=1
officedepot.com/a/products/493876/Realspace-MFTC-200-Multifunction-Ergonomic-Super/
youtube.com/watch?v=XylVCItVhS4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

this is not the thread

is the thread.

I didn't want to make an overlapping thread, but last time I had one up were people were actually being helped, sagay made his shill thread to overlap anyway.

So I may as well since he's just spamming nonsense to mislead people into shit builds.

He (probably you, who just dropped the name) is currently having a tantrum over someone wanting to make a PC build for console emulation.

I thought you said gentoo there, for a second.

If you have moar coars, I don't see why you wouldn't mainly use Linux and a VM now days.
VM'd Windows is like a 1-5% performance drop if you set it up well, which is nothing with how overpowered affordable hardware is now days.

I have an approximately 8.5 inch gap between my desk and a shelf rack where I wish to put the tower I'm building. I was thinking, however, that it would be dumb to put it on the floor due to dust/fur reasons, and was thinking about elevating it about 9 or 10 inches.

Are there any recommendations about how to do this? I don't want it to look like a poverty station, but I also don't want to spend too much money.

Bonus points for being able to put stuff underneath.

sagay's an oldfag who made the thread legitimately, you're a random irrelevant user who made another general because you're losing an internet fight. i don't know what else to tell you.

are you a tripfag or just a random new user? i'm saging btw.

>t. Sanjay

Putting it on the floor is fine if you have a top mount PSU or have a fanless PSU at the bottom mount.

Can you draw like a sketch of what it looks like?

You mean the top of a shelf UNDER your desk has a 8.5" gap to the top of the shelf?
So you either need an 8.5" case or you are thinking to make your desk 0.5-1.5" taller?

You missed last thread, user. Or you're probably him, again.

I had a thread up 10 hours before Sagay and he copied half the improvements I made to the OP, but replaced the part on alternatives to an i5 with more i5 shilling.

They were overlapped for about another 14 hours more before mine hit the bump limit.

I let his still going, but since he had all that misinformatoin and shilling in replies to people, and insulting people for wanting to make builds he didn't think were for appropriate people, I've made a new one just like he overlapped mine yesterday. (which I didn't want to do, and was waiting for his to expire. Granted he beat me to it this time like I beat him by 10 hours before, but he was being a huge faggot in it)

In addition to the groupon+ebates thing in the OP:

1700 are currently $100 off with a motherboard at Microcenter.

Bestbuy currently has a $15 free giftcard that must be used by April 14th
Bestbuy will also price match newegg and amazon, and a few big online retailers.

Here's a comparison of the previous threads, by the way:
Check timestamps of the beginnings/ends.

I even linked to his thread as it was expiring for the "new thread" when it hit the bump limit since his was only at like 125 then, instead of being a faggot like him at the time.

So don't call me out on this. I'm just someone trying to actually be helpful while he's being a fucktard to people.

i don't know who you are? just a newfriend who's making generals to be cool? does this trip mean anything to you?

also your OP edits are completely ridiculous dude. this is coming from this tripcode. I'm not convinced you know who I am.

sage

I know, right? Why don't people get that we tripfags are so superior to all?

This tripcode means my
>opinions
are better than any Anonymous plebeian.

Whats the crack on freesync 2 screens Sup Forums? No doubt they are still purely theoretical but if not know of any? I'm itching to go full on AMD for a 4k build and my venerable 290x will no longer cut it despite it being a super leaky sample that gets well into upper percentages of overclocking on air/water.

are currently $100 off with a motherboard at Microcenter.
Where?

>Bestbuy currently has a $15 free giftcard that must be used by April 14th
Where?

Yeah, I don't know who you are.

My edits to the OP aren't ridiculous. Sagay even copied half of them which were:
>G4560 remains the best if your budget is only around $500 or less.
>Consider only getting an SSD for what you planned to spend on an SSD+HDD. Add a HDD later once needed.
>The cheapest way to build a PC is buying one part at a time as you see flash sales, not buying all parts at once. An entire build worth of good components will rarely be on sale all on the same day.

I had to include that not all i3s aren't worth considering when the 7350K is the best single core performance for its price, which makes it best for emulators and dwarf fortress.

But he's some fucktard shill that says the i5-7500 is 175% the performance of the 1400.

Anandtech does good write ups and has one on it.
But it's hard to say.
My hope would be better standards. Some Freesync screens are ass due to there being no validation as it's an open standard.

>1700 are currently $100 off with a motherboard at Microcenter.
at.. microcenter.
I think it's in store only.

>Bestbuy currently has a $15 free giftcard that must be used by April 14th
ebay.com/itm/Buy-a-150-Best-Buy-Gift-Code-get-a-15-Bonus-Code-165-Value-Emailed-/262913800958

I'd like to put my tower in the gap here, with a 9 or 10 inch elevated platform to keep it off he ground and shove the subwoofer under it. If that seems like a bad idea I could go with a lower elevation.
Yes, the PSU is top-mounted, but I get a crazy amount of cat hair flying around.

Current PC:

CPU: FX 6300
MOBO: M5A97 2.0
GPU: 650Ti
PSU: CX500M

If I toss out the 650ti for 1070 - would it benefit nicely (cuz I got shit fps right now in everything)? And will my PSU & GPU live? Esp. if I push the 6300 to cca 4.2 GHz. Don't have that much cash and am Europoor so prices are huge.

>Microcenter
>Best Buy

Thanks for the links. I don't really need the moar cores of the 1700, so I'll just get the 1500X when it comes out, which is clocked higher anyway.

Freesync 2 will have standards for HDR10 with some sort of automatic mode switching with an open standard.
It will also have tighter standards for variable refresh.

This all sounds great, but the problem with Freesync is that some monitors didn't meet these standards.
However, this made them cheaper and you could always read reviews to see if they met the standards.

And Vega will have HDR10 injection for older games, to use that open standard.

Even an RX470 would be a nice upgrade over the 650Ti. Over 50% in the worst case.

1070 is very good, good enough for 144fps minimum in many games, but since the price drops of 1080s, and the R9 Fury still being around $235 since black friday, it's still not good performance/$.
You can sometimes find 1080s for like $420 on flash sales if you're patient, while I hardly see 1070s at $325 or less.

Oh 8.5" wide.

There are many cases that are 6.5" wide or less. The Rosewill SRM-01 is 6.7" wide and can fit a 1080Ti if I'm not mistaken (at least length wise, but it should width wise as well).

I have a case, I'm just curious about what I should use as a stand.

that FX6300 will bottelneck the shit out of a 1070
500w psu is fine as long as you dont buy a fiji/hawaii gpu
just get a rx470

is a ryzen 7 worth it?

if you just gonna play games no, also considder a 1700 instead of 1700x and oc it

Hey guys considering building a new pc; haven't made one since 2011 (i5-2500k and gtx 670). I learned a lot from that first build and I don't really game anymore. I'm mostly looking to build a workstation pc that can run a 4K monitor and play casual games(league of legends, etc). Any suggestions? United States.

>500w psu is fine as long as you dont buy a fiji/hawaii gpu

You're just jealous of my mad wattage.

I'm really not sure.
I think your best bet is to go into a store at a place with bedroom or livingroom furniture and see if something fits and is in your budget.

Putting a subwoofer under it, if it's at least larger in one dimensions, doesn't sound like a terrible idea.
Case and subwoofer enclosure are both shielding, anyway.

>Even an RX470 would be a nice upgrade over the 650Ti. Over 5

Yeah, you're right. 1080 is like only 80 EUR more I got 3x screens (1440p@60, 1080p@144, 1080p@60) so it might be worthwile.

Yeah, that would be the next step :/ but can't afford all right now. The CPU sucks for gaymen but it's pretty cool for coding tho.

So now a followup question - can the PSU handle 1080 :D?

I really wish we had more work/server based builds from time to time.
I understand that the majority of people visiting here aren't very much interested in it but it would still be rad.

I'm basically in the same boat. 2500k and 7970.

Going to get a 1600X and then wait for Vega/Volta/Navi and keep using my 7970 until then.

I actually somewhat need 32GB since I max my current 16GB out a lot, and got that already.

There was quite a few yesterday.

Can someone explain what the deal is with Ryzen and RAM compatibility and recommend a solid board? Looking to pull the trigger on an R5 build ASAP but feel like I'm about to get burned.

I don't think the 1700X is at that price.

The 1800X is nice if you actually have the money and don't want to bother overclocking.

If you're going to overclock, the 1700 will probably hit 3.85-3.9ghz fine which is much better value especially since you can get them from $230-$270 with a cooler.

For gaming, 1600X is probably the best value especially for someone that doesn't want to bother with manual overclocking, which is most people.
Lots of people buy unlocked CPUs and never overclock them.

It does best with single rake and low latency dies like Samsung B dies.

Here is an incomplete list of single rake:
forums.anandtech.com/threads/ddr4-single-rank-memory-for-ryzen-list.2501833/

An upcoming BIOS update this week should make it a lot easier for most 3200mhz XMP RAM to actually reach 3200mhz on it.

For higher than 3200mhz, you have to change the refclock manually.

afaik it has to do with amd having to thest all the ram themselves and then send some sort of code to the board manufacturers. there was a GN video aboit it a few weeks back.

It has a lot to do with the listed speeds being listed as speeds validated to work on Intel motherboards with XMP.

Since AMD has been pretty much out of the game for 7 years, it was just Intel XMP validations done.

But if you get some 3200, it seems to just about always run at at least 2800 at the moment.

All that testing takes a while. Motherboard manufacturer websites often have a list of verified RAM, but that's generally more expensive than buying on sale.

lol no

yes just buy it

It's funny because AMD fixed the screen tearing issue years ago, but Nvidia still has that problem with SLI.

yeah that's right they "fix" it

>a CPU that's essentially 2 4770k CPUs put together, with modern features and far more energy/thermal efficient as well, is not worth what a single 4770k costs.
Must be easy to shitpost that hard, as all you have to do is not use your brain.

housefire

I have a question. If i wanted to focus on gaming, would a 7700k be good.

Would i be able to add 2 gtx 1080 tis and an m2 dtive?

pcpartpicker.com/list/QRKC9W

how'd I do?

also these:

m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824267006

amazon.com/RK-PRO104-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches/dp/B01GYMEHGA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490494978&sr=1-3&keywords=ducky one tkl rgb

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EPZI85Y/ref=pd_aw_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RTHVZAK3K2J7ESBANXQG&dpPl=1&dpID=41x5+RPcXpL&th=1

officedepot.com/a/products/493876/Realspace-MFTC-200-Multifunction-Ergonomic-Super/

yep
Posted from my
4.8.0-42-generic Thu Mar 9 14:10:58 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 16
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-15
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 8
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
CPU family: 23
Model: 1
Model name: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor
Stepping: 1
CPU MHz: 2200.000
CPU max MHz: 3800.0000
CPU min MHz: 2200.0000
BogoMIPS: 7586.17
Virtualization: AMD-V

Yes, a 7700k is great for current games if you have the budget.

>Would i be able to add 2 gtx 1080 tis and an m2 dtive?
To what? A Z270 motherboard with SLI support? Yes.

Make sure it supports 32Gbps M.2, or it says 4x PCIe3.0 lane M.2... but they pretty much all do, from what I've seen.

Seems fine except the H100i. There are far better AIOs. Look up AIO comparison reviews and you'll see how bad it is.

But personally: I don't understand spending $500 for cpu+motherboard+cooler when you might end up replacing them in 2-3 years when 6 core becomes more standard (at least for 120hz and 144hz), but only spending $90 on an SSD that you'll probably keep running for 10+ years.

You could also find a 1070 for cheaper or just go with the R9 Fury if in the USA. 1070 is not worth it at $325, which they're sometimes on sale for, let alone higher.
You can also sometimes find 1080s for around $420 which is a huge upgrade over the 1070.

Ok guys console here, I'm ready to make the convergence with tax returns I have about 1k to spend on a PC I don't need anything insane I mainly am gonna play RTS's and my brother need video editing software so if anyone has any build ideas I'm new at this and have no idea what I'm doing

And not a single argument was made.

Little Endian

Thanks, i dont know much about pcie lanes. So the m2 card would be using the mobos lanes right?

what about it? intel is too

upgrading to a socket 1151 from socket 1366, anything I should know?

xeon memes bless you with the power of 5.0GHz

>replace in 2-3 years

I'll be able to save up enough money by then, ty for your concern

I was able to get the 1070 for $299 tax free, but yea I'll buy a 1080ti later if some guy ever feels like selling one for cheap at reddit/craigslist

Well for video editing, 1700.
For a mix of video editing, streaming, gaming, the 1600X can be a better buy.

So... the CPU and chipset for the motherboard (chipset is things like X370, Z270, B350, B250) has a limited number of PCIe lanes.

But for SLI, usually what happens is they split up the 16x to 2 8x and there's still lanes left over for a full speed NVMe.

An 8x lane on the GPU only makes a 1080 like 1-3% slower, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if the 1080Ti is any different.
But really, you probably shouldn't be using SLI. Just get one big card. As mentioned, SLI can have screen tearing and stuttering problems, and it also doesn't scale nearly as well as CF.

>I'll be able to save up enough money by then, ty for your concern
Yes, but you'll want to just pop the SSD into the new computer instead of upgrading to a bigger main SSD then, right?
But if all you want is the highest possible FPS right now on average, then yes, pair a 4.8+Ghz overclocked 7700k with a 1080Ti. But putting a highly oveclocked 7700k with a 1070 isn't somehow going to make the 1070 draw frames faster.

>I was able to get the 1070 for $299 tax fre
Oh, that's good then. You just should have clicked the cog icon on the row to mark it as paid for.

I don't believe in overclocking

Thanks for the info. Im about ready to buy a new pc. Might hold off on the 2nd 1080 ti for now, but just wanted to make sure it would be possible in the future, if i needed an extra card

Ah. Getting a 1080Ti is fine now, but it the future it would make more sense to just sell the 1080Ti and buy a single big Vega/Volta/Navi card instead.

SLI is just not very good. Even when it works, it doesn't scale as well as CF, it has stuttering and tearing issues that CF no longer has.
And even then, I wouldn't recommend CF either since it doesn't work for all games either.

Also, two cards is much less energy efficient that one big one even when you get +90% scaling or more like in CF. You still have the uncore from the cards, extra VRAM they don't utilize like one card does, etc.

So do people still actually believe the 7600k is "the same" as a 7700k? Most people I know knew that 4c/8t 4c/4t has been well worth it as of the past few years.
Like how you have people with 4670k oveclocked who are starting to encounter the stuttering even with a good GPU in games now days, but people with even a 3770k or 2700k are generally still fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=XylVCItVhS4

Do they think DigitalFoundry are shills? It seems to me they're one of the few that do decent analysis these days (besides Anandtech, though they run GPU bottlenecked gaming benchmarks a lot because they basically think "60fps is good enough", and )

DF does some of the best tests. You can see even in the games where the average of the 7600k and 7700k is within 5%, the 7600k still dips over 20% lower in the really strenuous parts of a game which is where you want a CPU performing at its best, not worse.
And in other cases the 7700k is plain 30%-45% better.

If you're spending $400 for a CPU+cooler+motherboard, it's pretty retarded to not just spend $100 more to get 45% higher performance in some cases, and at worst at least like 20% higher minimums in most games from the past few years.

It shouldn't be hard to understand how HT/SMT really helps games a lot.
The only explanation is that some people are just that stupid and blind themselves to facts like those, or their dad works at Intel and beats them if they don't meet their i5 quotas.

I don't play any of those games though

The stock 7700 really does beat the shit out of a 4.8ghz 7600k in some of that games. By a shitload, too.

I guess if you know for a fact that all you play does about the same on a 7600k, and you won't play any future games, an i5 can make sense.

Looks like only one game had an overclocked 7600k matching the stock 7700, which was Far Cry Primal.

What do you play?

spacestation 13 and Sup Forums

A G4560 is fine for you, then.
It also benefits from hyperthreading, like that.

G3220 were pretty garbage, but the G4560 is pretty great for the price.

480 8GB or 1060 6GB?
Both priced pretty much exactly the same in my location

isn't the 480 the one with heinous power consumption

yes and don't buy amd. literally housefire.

If those are priced the same, the 1060 6GB is the better buy.

But you might want to look at game benchmarks. If you're playing DX12/Vulkan games like BF1, Doom, Mad Max, Deus Ex, the RX480 is better than the 1060 is in DX11 or DX12, especially if you have at least 8 threads to feed the driver. Lots of older games are getting Vulkan patches, too.
But if you don't know what you're going to be playing and shit, the 1060 6GB is a safe bet and not that much worse in DX12/Vulkan.

It's not heinous. It uses about 5-10% more than the 1070 despite being less powerful. It's still better than other past cards and it's nothing like Fermi, or Hawaii.

oh I got it mixed up with Fermi, wasn't fermi also numbered 480?

I have an 850W PSU and 200W used from CPU and various components, so which 1060 6GB is the best buy currently?

>wasn't fermi also numbered 480
Yes.

Yes, the housefire fermi card that pulled like almost 500watt was the 480.

>so which 1060 6GB is the best buy currently?
show us which the cheapest ones are available to you.

QUICK WHICH 1070 IS THE /CURRENTLY/ BEST TO GET

Looking at Gigabyte, any trouble with those?

I want to put together a build purely for BOINC distributed projects. Something that will run at 100% 24/7 and wont be used for anything else.

Primarily asteroids@home and SETI@home, but occasionally other projects when work units aren't available.

With a ~$600-800 budget, what's the best way to maximize my FLOPS?

going for the MSi 1070 Gaming X 8G, any objections?

When are Ryzen APUs supposed to come out?

Are you in the US? In the US, either the R9 Fury non-X (can be had after rebates for about $240 at just over 7 TFLOPS out of the box) or ~$180-$200 RX480s (~5 TFLOPS) will be the most raw FLOPS per dollar.

The R9 Fury's can sometimes be flashed to unlock intentionally disabled shaders, theoretically getting you to either 7.5 or 8 TFLOPS of the full Fury X Fiji chip, but obviously is up to a little bit of luck.

2 R9 Fury's will leave you with about $300 to get a hefty power supply, which you will need, and basic but capable motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD.

This is a full 14 TFLOP PC at $800. I can try to help you out with motherboard/CPU/PSU if you're interested, let me know.

Depending on what your computer is for:
>1700X
If you stick with the 1700X it comes with the Wraith Max which is a good cooler and should be able to bring you to ~4GHz fine, no need for the CM212. I live in TX so I would personally rather run a 1700 with a stock cooler and run it at 3.5@stock V.
>X370
Only go X370 if need 6 SATA3, need x-fire, or need 3200+ MHz RAM, or some niche thing like LN2 overclocking (not sure about VRM quality on the Carbon Pro though). A caveat is that X370 BIOS updates roll out faster.
>RAM
It's recommendable to go with faster RAM if you're sticking with the X370 (recommend B-Die like G Skill Trident Z). 16GB to be futureproof as well. Ryzen's interconnect depends on RAM speed.
>storage
M2 NVMe is great, but if it's outside of your budget whatever.

Expect good frame rate variances compared to the i7 series but 5-15% lower average framerates (at stock), but also great productivity performance (chews both ANSYS and NX jobs for me); I've heard it gives the 6900 and even the 6950 a run for its money in cases. I upgraded from Nehalem.

The cheapest one. Most of them are overpriced as fuck.

Can anyone recommend a good 16GB kit and mATX board for Ryzen, please?

Inb4 >mATX. Already have a case I've fallen in love with and aren't looking to change just yet.

Yeah, I'm in the US. I hadn't run BOINC in years until recently, and since I started again I've been running my gaming PC full blast when I'm not home.

Unfortunately it turns out running a GTX1080 / 6700K at full blast 24/7 generates more heat than I would like in my small computer den at home. That's why I want to build a dedicated rig I can stick in the back room at my office instead.

I'll look into the R9 Fury. I really have no idea what I'm doing, so bear with me if this is a stupid question. Would it be worth it to try and buy a couple used Xeons or something off eBay? Or are GPU's just that much superior that it doesn't really matter?

If GPU's are the way to go, I can set up a big case with a board that supports 4 GPU's and then just add an R9 whenever I have the cash until it's stuffed full.

Need to check with the mobo manufacturer for compatibility, even at this point. There's just too much of a question when it comes to Ryzen and RAM speeds. Gotta see it in writing or at a minimum on reviews first. I'd want the fastest kit I can get that is confirmed to work if I was buying Ryzen.

Jesus Christ CAPTCHA is such a piece of shit these days.

That would probably be Vega paired with a G4560 or lesser.

The low end Vega card, likely to be around $350-$450, will probably be something around 10.5-11.5 TFLOPs.

That would roughly be on par of the 7.5 TFLOPs for $235 of the R9 Fury if it's on that lower end, but at probably 1/2 the power consumption and 3x the power consumption per watt.

>When are Ryzen APUs supposed to come out?
Q3 apparently, but that might be OEMs either and Q4 before consumers can get them.

It looks like there's going to be huge orders to fill at Apple and MS first.

I don't think 1700X currently come with the Wraith Max cooler. Where do you see that?

>yeah that's right they "fix" it
Yes they fixed it. Did you have a point? or are you just another idiot who has brand loyalty.

see

Plan to upgrade from Lynnfield. What's a decent processor for video encoding around $300?

I'm not too worried about electricity as I'm going to be plugging this thing in at my office, where the electricity is a flat rate component of the rent regardless of usage. Might as well get the most value I can out of it.

Just the CPU itself for $300? Not mobo and DDR4 too?
The 1700 by far. You can find those under $300 with cooler included.

Ah. 2 R9 Fury is definitely best if you don't have to pay for power, it would seem.

Unless you can find some used 290X or 390X to get 3 for less than the price of 2 R9 furies.
But then you could run into issues of not enough PCIe lanes, and the splitter bandwidth not being sufficient, which I'm not sure of.

I think this is something you should ask Anandtech forums as I know a number do BIONC there.

My knowledge on BOINC is limited but as far as I know, modern GPUs absolutely crush CPUs in terms of raw compute power. Checking their forums out it seems most of the users are utilizing GPUs, so I think that's the way to go. I'd just stick to a basic CPU seeing as all you'll need it for is to run the OS.

Keep in mind that the R9 Fury is a 275W card, way more power hungry than your 1080, so heat can still be an issue for sure. gives pretty good advice. You could wait for Vega which should be arriving soon (tm) and will most likely be cooler and much more power efficient for performance that's in the same ballpark. My guess is that availability will be an issue at launch though, as usual for brand new high end GPUs.

I haven't used boinc in a while but I'm pretty sure most of the projects only run on CPU

disregard my post, i suck cocks

apparently seti@home supports Nvidia CUDA, so he could maximize FLOPS with a shitty CPU shitty motherboard and put all the money in a GPU with beefy heatsink

lel. But yeah, the ones he mentioned (SETI@home, asteroids@home) seem to crush it with GPU compute. For example, on their site for SETI, they list that a 7700k throws out 25 GFLOPS (0.025 TFLOPS) while running SETI. Can't hold a candle to any modern GPU for whatever the hell calculations it's doing.

seti@home and asteroids@home both support CUDA. My 1080 was fucking crushing it, but again I want to move this shit out of my house where I pay the electric bill, and bringing my gaming rig to work kind of defeats the purpose.

My 6700k runs 8 jobs simultaneously with a ~2hr run time, while the 1080 runs a single job at a time with a ~15min run time.

So, I'm probably better off with the Fury if power cost isn't an issue. Especially once Vega comes out, prices will probably come down a little, or used ones will be available for cheap.

>Especially once Vega comes out, prices will probably come down a little, or used ones will be available for cheap.
This almost never happens in the "formerly high end" GPU market. In fact, it's usually the opposite. Just check newegg for prices on GTX 980 (non-TI) as an example. $500-$700 from aftermarket sellers, lol.

Anyway, the prices typically skryocket to unjustifiably high levels as supplies dry up due to demand for Crossfire and SLI setups in old rigs or just the general market forces of supply and demand. I can't really explain it.

Point is, I doubt new R9 Fury's are ever going to be much cheaper unless you get lucky on the used market.

You can currently sometimes get new ones for $420 during flash sales that I've seen pop up every few days. Which is cheaper than you can currently find them used, last I saw at the same time. That's a good deal, at that price.
But yeah, might drop a bit more when Vega comes.

How much height does a waterblock add to a gpu?
I have an Asus Strix 980 ti that I want to water cool, but I've only got about a centimeter of extra clearance above it right now, and it looks like those ports on top might be bigger than that. Am I just shit outta luck here?

Eh when GCN came out, GTX560, 570 and 580 prices had to drop by 30%, and they STILL were far worse performance/$.

Or was it the GTX 400 series when they came out? I forgot. Might have been for the lower tier GCNs releasing first, at least.

980Ti prices not dropping much (you can sometimes find them for a little over $300 new with warranty) is simply down to how there wasn't an RX490 and shit.

>height
As in... slot depth? Or how much it sticks out toward the side panel?

Look at your current GPU. Your cooler probably sticks out nearly as far toward the case panel from the PCB as the waterblock will.

You should be able to find a diagram with measurements on the waterblock manufacturer's site, too. Match the measurements to the mounting holes.

It sits vertically in my case (Corsair 380t)