Should I buy a Thinkpad?

Should I buy a Thinkpad?

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470-Core-i5-Full-HD-Notebook-Review.198130.0.html
support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05380256.
notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-15t-X7P44AV-7700HQ-FHD-GTX-1050-Laptop-Review.207548.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

no

maybe

Unless it's an old one it's not worth it. They're now cheaply made pieces of chinese garbage and have bullshit hardware whitelists so you can't stick new hardware inside it unless it has the right FRU

buy 2

They still look pretty durable though. What would you suggest as an alternative?

Dell XPS Series
Macbook before the dongles hit
EliteBook

surface pro 4 and surface book are also good should you need the touchscreen

elitebooks are where it's at

They're more durable than some $500 Acer but the looks are mostly just for well... looks. That's what a ThinkPad is supposed to look like so they keep making them look like that even though the screen flexes like crazy and the plastic clips on the chassis snap if you look at them wrong.

>They're now cheaply made pieces of chinese garbage
excluding the carbon faggotry, xx70 series are alright.

I'm glad Sup Forums has realized new thinkpads are garbage. My friend gave me an elitebook and I have had no problems with it.

Does anyone own a Carbon Series? Verdict?

8460p represent

Are all thinkpads like that? Sorry for stupid questions, I just had my heart set on a thinkpad.

Yes get a carbon with the $500 discount from /tpg/ done

Did they improve them over the last few years? My X230 has lasted 5 years so far with no problems but it looks like it's been through hell. The bezel on the back of the screen broke the first year I had it and is on loosely and the plastic on the bottom of the chassis has actually started to warp and bubble from the heatpipe behind it. It all still works but it doesn't feel anything like the ThinkPad I got in 1998 and still looks pristine.

At least everyone knows where you've been the past few years.

Tell satan I said see you in 10 years.

>Did they improve them over the last few years?
yes, 2015 and later

but like I said, no carbon and whatever horse shit alternate series.

Fuck I could really use a $500 discount right about now.

One of you gentoo wizards must have hacked some coupon codes, no? Pls?

He's over exaggerating, I got a T450s for college and it's fine. Dropped it down the stairs, had it fall directly on the VGA port while it was connected and spilled coffee/beer on it. Small amount of screen flex but overall pretty solid. The T430 - T440 really shit the bed though.

Seruously? I got mine 3 months ago and it seems OK, the outside of it is never "hot" and always silent and the hinges and screen look solid, I always grab it by the (pussy) screen and it never looks like it's a problem.
Even if it will broke in a year for what I paid it's still a good deal

>One of you gentoo wizards must have hacked some coupon codes, no? Pls?
what are you willing to do for it?

I'll sing the badgers badgers song while masturbating furiously with a toilet brush in my butt on livestream.

T450s for college here as well and it is a awesome laptop. That being said there was quite a bit of bloat on it to begin with so I'd do a clean install of windows or Linux if you do get one.
And yes I did fall for the >InstallGentoo meme,
Couldn't be happier

Yea the amount of chink-shit when I first booted it was unreal so I popped in an SSD as soon as I could and riced the shit out of an Arch install. Bit of a shame they replaced the VGA port with HDMI on the T460 for
>muh slim

How do the T460s compare?

What's wrong with HDMI? I fucking love HDMI.

>inb4 muh 4k

Nothin wrong with it at all, just would have prefered the mini display port get swapped for it as the main reason I got the thing was for presentations and shit. They tapered the edge of the T460s because of it though which makes it look like they're trying to turn it into some carbon tier shit.

Backwards compatibility for 'legacy' stuff.

Style before substance.

I must admit I like a good looking laptop. I'm willing to make some minor compromises so I don't have to stare at an ugly brick all day. I guess most people are like me in this regard.

No just get a regular Lenovo. Its all chink shit anyways.

Well I would take an ugly brick with every io port ever made before 2005 slapped on it than some dongle book with 2 ports

They lock out Linux now.

WTF t470 is great

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470-Core-i5-Full-HD-Notebook-Review.198130.0.html

See for yourself with the notebookcheck review

Is this supposed to look ugly?

No. You better buy a Thoughtpad.

>women a shit
#beautiful_at_all_sizes

Looks alright; the shape is nice.

It would look seriously fucking good if it were made of a titanium alloy.

picked up a thinkpad 13 last week and i love it

great screen
keyboard feels good
clit mouse is comfy
installed linux no problem

feels good man

Wait, so is that ALL of them?

Linux compatibility is pretty important to me.

Which laptop is made from a titanium alloy?

We have aluminum alloys, magnesium alloys, where the fuck are you getting that titanium needs to be laptop cases?

this

I don't understand why Sup Forums gets old cumpads when they could spend the same on a modern (lighter weight and less power hungry) ThinkPad 13 which will do lightweight Linux anime fun times much more easily and with more support

Only consumer shit. T, X (and W?) series have some of the best linux compatibility. Still pretty fuckin stupid either way

>EliteBook
what about the pavilion line? Is that good as well or no?

It's objectively the best laptop shell material. Lighter than steel, as strong(?) as steel, and it's the most evil looking of all metals.

Only problem is the price.

Micro$hekels?

t. jamal ginsberg the hasidic homeboy

Could you remind me which laptop is actually made from titanium?

And may I remind you that the premium plastic ThinkPads are made from works just fine. If you want some dumb premium metal on the outside of your laptop just get an Asus ZenBook Pro I guess

consumer shit

just use the %15 discount and get a ThinkPad

I told you it's on /tpg/ retard

of coursh

god tier

can't go wrong except it costs a lot of money

None that I'm aware of.

I'm just going off on a geek tangent, don't mind me. But you have to admit, metal feelsgoodman.

G series fag here, do you mean uefi? I installed Linux fine.

I've had a 4th gen x1 for a few months. Seems Solid.

I wish, i'm just a europoor though. The code is only for us/canada. I could get my hands on this HP though: support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05380256. For just over 1000€. Only things it's missing is mouse buttons and more ports.

Didn't actually know there was a G series, sorry user

>tfw no one on Sup Forums uses the "g" series lenovos

That's a good deal for 1000 I would say

The only trouble is that you aren't getting the ultra reliability like how a ThinkPad could be dropped and probably be fine, but if you don't do so much autismo rage stuff to your pavilion then it will work just fine.

notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-15t-X7P44AV-7700HQ-FHD-GTX-1050-Laptop-Review.207548.0.html

>The HP Pavilion 15t X7P44AV offers very decent performance at a reasonable price. The all-plastic chassis doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and might not appeal to users looking for an upscale (aluminum) design, but the hardware certainly packs a punch: equipped with a high-end quad-core CPU, 16 GB of RAM, dual hard drives and a GeForce GTX 1050, the system handles all every-day tasks with aplomb. Users looking for a do-it-all system should be pleased with the gaming performance as well, as the X744AV easily outperforms more entry-level competitors with a GeForce 940MX.

meant for

>if it were made of a titanium alloy.
fucking retards and their retard strength

From what I've seen they're just consumer-grade and might as well be sold under the ideapad brand instead given that they don't even have a trackpoint. Why get a G series when you can get a thinkpad edge which is going to be as cheap and as shit in build quality, but at least have a decent keyboard and trackpoint?

cheers. I guess I'll just have to decide whether to take the plunge and go for a p50 or just get the pavilion.

The Gen5 X1 Carbon is pretty gud.

If you're a gay faggot that loves BBC, yes. If not, get a new patrician tier MBP.

Can't go wrong with a P50 yes, the pavilion has gaming capability however

the P50 has massively better color accuracy but both have decent panels for everyday use (that means you aren't a professional in photoshop)

>tfw anons will be able to purchase Thinkpad katanas

Is the first gen still viable?

Saw one on ebay for $250 and I'm wondering if it would be a worthy upgrade from my T420 for a CS student laptop.

>only women in the pic
I wonder what class that was

>Parcel comes in the mail
>Pretty sure it's my new thinkpad
>Open it up in the living room
>Smells like cow manure
>Whole house smells like shit now

S T I N K P A D

>Knock at the door
>Pretty sure that's my Indian takeout
>Bring it into the living room
>Smells like India
>Whole house smells like shit now

P O O I N L O O

The hinges on my Gen 2 X1 Carbon literally snapped in half within 2 years. I would not buy one if I were you. Never dropped or abused mine at all, but it fucked me in the ass.

yeah I looked at reviews and saw similar horror stories, gonna go with a t430 instead to replace this shitter 1266x768 t420.

really should have just looked for the 1600x900 to begin with but oh well

>katanas
What, are we in the 90's or something? It's all about titanium frostmourne now.

Did you manage to fix it at all?

Never seen an x1 carbon up close, is it possible to reinforce it BEFORE it happens?

yes, that ones specifically

so im using an x230 mainly for the hardcore stuff like pen testing etc. for the back up, more of home use, im using a carbon. its pretty sick man.. runs linux based os's pretty good. no issues. besides on the x230 you can get a long lasting 9 call batt. the carbon is somewhat all fixed to the board inside. the x series seems good as the x230 can go upto 16g ram

but the carbon is the best 2017 Thinkpad

why do you believe otherwise?

/thread

>Door bell rings
>Who could that be?
>Check the security camera
>No one there

D E G E N E R A T E S

>Windows 10 boots up
>What the fuck is that?
>Peel tape off webcam

C I A

the 2017 seemed some what crap to me, i have the 2012 model. besides the ports the basic hdw is pretty much the same build quality. the only carbon model that sucked big time was the one with the touch button strip on the top of the keyboard. that made it look UGLY!

Yes but only if you use GNU+Linux on it and wget all your Sup Forums threads for offline reading

>Smartphone sitting on my desk
>Screen is face up
>Flashes on and off
>Check phone
>No notifications

N S A

Online shopping or selfie-editing

stop blaming the food.. take a fucking shower stinkass!

weren't you told not to bathe in your own shit?!

No, it would've cost me upwards of $700 to fix and the laptop wasn't worth anywhere near that, and it was out of warranty and Jewnovo wouldn't fix it. I don't think it's possible to reinforce. I'm assuming the gen 5 hinges are not made of fucking paper maché anymore, though. Shit pissed me off enough to never buy a Jewnovo product again.

I just bought a new 15" MBP and am happy with my choice thus far.

that's been heard and taken care of

oh yes.. and compared to the 2012 the batt has gotten much much better!

No, HP all the way.

To add: The battery life was fantastic btw. Screen was garbage tho.

Overall: fuccmyass/10 pic related

Jesus what the fuck. I guess I wouldn't buy another Lenovo product either if I experienced that shit.

I doubt it was a mistake to design it that way. Engineers are aware of shit like that.

Fucking chinks

It's not the chinks, man. It's the Jews at Lenovo who hired the chinese preschool to make our toys.