Why is it so hard to fucking install something on Linux? Go to install a tar...

Why is it so hard to fucking install something on Linux? Go to install a tar.gz have to then download 5 things so it will compile?

Other urls found in this thread:

freefirefoxdownloads.ru/
otr.cypherpunks.ca
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

install gentoo

>Linux is hard on my computer.
What linux did you use? What computer are you using.
>LInux won't install on my computer.
Could you be more specific?
>Linux doesn't work on computer.
>Computer won't linux.
>No linux and Computer.
>Why
>Bad
>No computer work with linux os
>linux computer bad

use the package manager, fucktard

found the brainlet

a good thread died for this

i was only able to compile programs during the ubuntu 9.xx era. now i can't even install a gui in freebsd. where did i go so wrong???

Yeah what some Intel ryzen memers thread?

>sudo apt-get install {program-name}

wow so hard OP

What I want isn't in the package manager. It's not surprise autist use this. Honestly windows you click a button. This involves extracting then reading some install instructions which make very little sense and I can't figure out cucked tails cause it restricts everything at least I figured out setting and admin password but half the commands don't exist

No*

An*

Which program? It sounds like you want windows.

>trying to install software on tails

An otr plugin for pidgin/xmpphonestly I think it's already installed. I assumed it wasn't but still tails is completely cucked I'll be back. Sorry for my autism g

why do you assume i know a programs name. what kind of retarded logic is that

How do you even know what you're going to install if you don't know the name lol

oh shit you were memeing sorry I'm slow tonight

>What I want isn't in the package manager.
#1 reason people use arch

Dude wtf I can't install bonzi buddy while in safe mode?

This windows computer is shit wtf

> hurr durr why not double click installer like on windows

fuck OFF back to the open sewer you came from Pajeet. This board is for actual computer scientists

>install software
>tails

Go back to the hood, deshawn. You are too stupid for superior gnu+linux

Git clone and follow the compilation instructions on the programs github page. It makes a lot of sense. Here, I made a handy guide for newfags.

>download a zip on Windows
>run the installer, decide to put it in Program Files
>find out the program doesn't work if its path has any spaces
>have to spend the next day moving files and fixing the registery

Install Mint.

If you weren't a retard you would have installed it from a software repository instead of compiling from source and doing manual dependency handling. Of course that's a pain in the ass. It would be regardless of the operating system. Are you brain damaged? Use the fucking package manager. That's like 50% of the point of using Linux.

Except when the dependencies aren't listed in full, or not listed at all. Or, more commonly, all the dependencies are listed, but not the essential ones, so you're forced to install 100 packages of bloat to compile one single fucking program.

Linux is an annoyance yes, but it's cool and hip because it was on Mr Robot.

are you commenting from 1980? apt-get install whateveriwant, dnf install this shit too.

if you want to use the computer like a normy, then stick to using a normy OS

Then you downloaded a shitty package.
Suck it up princess that's the exception not the rule.

Honestly if you haven't compiled a Linux distro from source you should fuck off from this board.

for servers nothing is more annoying than windoze. for laptops mac is superior. windows is only rlly that good for print servers and active directory .

> google "download firefox"
> click on freefirefoxdownloads.ru/
> save a file
> find it and open it
> next next next next
> [yes] install toolbars?
> [yes] install viruses?
> [yes] install adware?
> next next next

vs

> click a button
> install software that is guaranteed to be safe by the people who built your OS

>what i want isn't in the package manager
>in the package manager

>tails

We're reaching levels of kek that shouldn't even be possible.

>it's cool and hip because it was on Mr Robot
If only. Sadly, even the most user friendly distros will repel most people coming from Windows or OSX.

Op here proof that windows just works also I think it's already installed on tails can someone confirm otr.cypherpunks.ca

I have the same problem trying to instal Ace Stream in my laptop with Lubuntu 16.10

I have to install five packages and two of them don't install and I don't know why. I also don't know why things are so complicated in Linux sometimes.

>install linux
>finally get to start installing software after spending 2 days getting all my drivers working
vs
>windows
>click more so its slower xdDD
cringe thread?

From Debian-based experience: Usually the software can be installed in the package manager after adding its repository to /etc/apt/sources.list if it wasn't avaialble in the default repositories. If it doesn't have one it can be installed with a .deb package, the Debian equivalent to a .exe. If it really only comes as a .tar.gz like you said, (which does happen sometimes,) that means it's only available in code form and that's why you have to compile it. It's like if on Windows someone released software as a Visual Studio Project only.

I think pidgin on tails already has the otr plugin? Im op I keep asking but people just respond to my one post

Welcome to Linux: Where installing third party software is a nightmare because muh tradition.
Use the package manager. Probably your tar will not work anyways.

It's a nightmare because if anything that isn't just available through a repo as a .deb file (or equivalent to suit your distro) then you're either using a distro that's too obscure for anyone to bother going out of their way to support, or the software is still in its infancy and developers are yet to make sure the program is easily distributed, in which case you'll often be stuck compiling on windows anyway.

I did dumb shit like manually downloading individual .deb files for my debian system when I was new to linux, because of a combination of fucking up configs and otherwise having no idea what I was doing. Really once you're competent, installing third party shit is as involved as it is with Windows at worst. Using a distro like Arch is also a great help.

>compiling things from source is hard
>this is Linux's fault
You are a fucking retard. To do the same thing in Windows is even more difficult.

>An otr plugin for pidgin/xmpphonestly I think it's already installed

apt search otr

[...]
pidgin-otr/xenial 4.0.2-1 amd64
Off-the-Record Messaging plugin for Pidgin
[...]

sudo apt install pidgin-otr

And that was so fucking hard? If it still doesn't work you forgot to enable it under plugins. Which is a Pidgin problem, not Linux.

You don't need to do it on Windows

Windows programs are either in a zip with dependencies or in an installer with dependencies.

It's already installed you keklord

You claimed it's not in the repository, but it is.

>I can't do even the most operations following instructions
>Linux is hard

No son, you are simply retarded.

Even still I exposed a whole flaw with Linux tar.jizz is absolutely unstoppable

The linux package manager updates all of your software with a single command from a trusted source.

Windows update reboots your PC half a dozen times, still has trustedinstaller.exe slowing down your PC for hours afterwards and can't even update your other shit. You have to hunt down executables from the internet and pray to god that they won't contain ransom-, mal- or shitware.

Only had to compile something from source once and it's not as troublesome as you make it seem.

You don't need to do it on Linux either you fucking mongoloid. The package manager exists for a reason
You are describing a pre-compiled application. If you were to install an equivalent package on Linux, the package manager would install all the dependencies for you. You are a retard. Just accept it.