New laptop

>new laptop
>only use linux on ubuntu virtual machines
>thinking about install Arch
Is that a bad ideia? Also, i'm programmer.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Frequently_asked_questions
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How many hours of free time a day do you have? If it's less than 12 I wouldn't bother install Arch because you have to spend 99% of your time fixing broken things, all because the stupid archfags want the latest experimental versions of everything. I recommend a stable distro such as Debian.

>inb4 muh ancient packages
If you desperately need a newer version for an actual feature and not just to bump the version number then you can compile it yourself

>I don't know what i'm talking about

How about you see for yourself?
It's not as bad as fags like meme it to be, but installation and configuration does indeed take up more time than i.e. Debian testing or whatever

Arch was my first linux distro.
I now have it running on all my machines (well except a raspberry pi).
It's super comfy, but it does take some time to set up. You also my want a secondary device to help work out how to fix something if it breaks. (I've only had arch break on me once in five years, and that was because I was using fonts from the AUR.)

use xubuntu, debian, or fedora.

Hm, sounds like a nice try then, I think arch is a good way to finally learn UNIX, since you need to build everything to get the things done.

>not writing ./myscript

>you need to build everything to get the things done
well not really, it's not Gentoo. Packages in the official repo are already prebuilt and have a fairy sane default configuration when you install them, so you don't have to set up every single damned thing yourself.

So its like Atom? There some packages that do things to you, but you can change whatever you want?

pretty much

>12 hours
wtf? even a non-programmer could do it in 6 with the wiki, easily. you have no idea what youre talking about

3 hrs is all you need for a basic installation including a DE and a couple of applications.
Another 3 for ricing everything to your taste.
If you have a funcional brain, that is.

Began using arch out of interest, however, reading through the wiki to install it was a pain. If your interested in arch I've heard Manjaro is good. Either that or Debian.

these 2bh

OP, I've been using Arch for a year and a half now

This faggot has absolutely no idea what he's talking about, and probably never even touched Arch. Also needs to kill himself.

Now, to answer your question. If you're going to install Arch, make sure you read the official Installation Guide on the wiki. Go over it and make sure you understand what you're doing for each step. It's not exactly hard, but it will be different from what you're used to. Expect to have to read in order to understand your system. Realistically, you can expect 15-30 minutes for the initial install, and anywhere form 20 minutes to several hours to get a graphical environment going, depending on what you're trying to do.

Thanks anons, now i feel more confortable about starting with arch.

Good luck. Like I said, I've been using it for a year and a half.

Very stable, don't believe the Sup Forums memes. I upgrade my system every single day, and I make sure to read the front page of archlinux.org before I run the update to see if there's any news about the update that will require me to take any action before updating. Be sure to do the same thing and you'll be golden.

I'm using arch for 2 months, I have literally zero knowledge about linux, I'm doing well, using arch + i3 with some shit I put together

Bad ideia.

sudo pacman -Syu pacmatic

You're welcome.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Frequently_asked_questions

Better idea: use the Revenge Installer.

>arch
>production machine
no, just fucking stop

I don't care how fucking autistic you are, that's just asking for trouble.

You are so full of shit!

KYS.

To be fair nothing breaks on Arch unless you were fucking with something you shouldn't have fucked with.

That said, Gentoo is probably the better option because arch is sort of an awkward middle ground between configurability/minimalism and out-of-the-box function.

thanks. never heard of this. neat

Arch has never been about minimalism or customization. It's a distro based on the KISS principle.

do it faggot
the "spend 24 hours fixing it" thing is a meme if you aren't a total retard and bork your system

gentoo is unusable and should only be touched if you're touched, with autism

I installed Arch on my work PC because that's what my boss uses. It took me a while to get it set up just right, but it probably would have been faster if I just wanted Gnome+GDM. Since then it "just works" but I have no idea how to system-administrate it, so if it ever breaks I'm fucked.

t. OpenBSD user at home.

>takes 12 hours
Are you mentally damaged?

>partition drive
>format drive
>mount drives
>pacstrap
>genfstab
>set locale
>set timezone
>set hostname
>set root password
>install bootloader

What part of that process do you think requires that much time? Let's keep in mind that all of those steps can easily be completed with a single command except partitioning which requires an additional 10 or so key strokes.

>bait

dumb fucks that fell for it

its a good idea if you want to see GNU/Linux in its current state. If you want to see how it was months ago use ubuntu.

Stick with what you know. If you're interested in arch try it virtually first. I haven't gotten it to go in a vm though so I haven't been tempted to try it on my machine.