/ibmg/ - IBM General

New to /ibmg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: don't buy anything made after 2008, it makes life easier)

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM DESIGNED THINKPADS if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™
Thankfully Lenovo waited several years before changing the ThinkPad line, so Lenovo branded models such as the ThinkPad T61, R61 and X61s are safe bets.

Recommended models:
T60/T61 - 14", 15", Normal size, plenty of power

X60s/X61s - 12", Comfy size, plenty of battery
(if you want more power and less battery life, opt for the non 's' edition)

R60/R61 - 14", 15", Excellent value, tied with the T60 in performance, these models have a thicker body but no roll cage

Rare ThinkPads to grab:
X40 - (new chink battery mods make it a serious option)

T40-43P - (Flexview, classic M CPU)

Why IBM ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are dramatically cheaper than Lenovo ThinkPads
>Keyboards had more travel and click under IBM
>Display housing and chassis had less flex and more modularity under IBM
>More LEDs
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
>No NSA, CIA, FBI backdoors in CPU, new ThinkPads have this issue
>better aesthetic ie no gigantic bezels and greyed color, better logo/keys

In addition to producing more reliable and aesthetic ThinkPads, IBM made some of the best servers and desktops of their time, many of which can still be sourced for cases or daily use

First for GOAT ThinkPad

Upgraded my little X61s this weekend, it's super fast with the 4.8 kernel

Actual thread

i want to buy an ebay i7 x240, worth or not?

Okay I've got a 2467 from value village for 8 bucks. I'm not sure if it's a t20 or what. The screen doesn't seem to work so I have it on a monitor. It's running xp pro but it's got a fucking windows 98 sticker on it.

The only sites I can get on are helicopter game and Sup Forums. Is there anyway I can make this thing work with today's internet?

HNNNNG

install windows 2000 with opera 12

Not at all desu, the keyboard is dogshit

Any model number on it?

if I dont mind the flipped function and control, nor the weird print screen button?

Personally the trackpoint being below the keys and there being no page forward/backward bothers me the most. If you arent heavily used to the classic keys it probably wont bother you. Better than Dell and HP keys

T22
Believe it or not this is now my only computer after my Lenovo think pad shit the bed.

>better than dell/hp keys
Nice, I'm switching over from a shitty hp consumer laptop with a terrible screen, touchpad and keyboard anyhow so everything's an improvement.

Each key individually travels more firmly on the ThinkPad than the HPs do, you'll appreciate it

Nothing wrong with that lad, I do sys admin from an X61s nearly every day

>buy X60
>more screen space than my T420

Feels good desu

Is there anything you would recommend doing with this thing? I'm not incredibly savvy with computers but I figured this would be a good box to learn on. Is xp still viable today? I know this old internet explorer sucks.

C O M F Y

>digits

Try Lubuntu on it. As long as you're not putting in banking info or something yeah, XP is fine

TFW I have a Lenovo Thinkpad and a Unicomp Endurapro.

Satan does not will it. I've got pentium 3 and 256mb of ram

Just bought a Model-M keyboard, refurbed into beautiful condition, for $125. did I do ok?

DAMN nice deal lad.

Puppy Linux?