Games that "support" Linux

Oh, it runs in a fucking emulator? That's not Linux support. That's like saying N64 games support Windows.

Fucking REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I almost wish wine didn't exist so developers would have to do Linux support properly and not just say "just run it in wine lel"

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.winehq.org/Developer_FAQ
gamingonlinux.com/articles/ballistic-overkill-is-one-unity-title-that-may-see-an-update-with-vulkan.9434
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll disagree with you a bit. Wine isn't emulation. It translates API calls but otherwise runs the program natively in x86.

I'll agree with you though that it is really fucking lazy developing, and a 'wine port' shouldn't be called a port at all.

And note that they did a real Mac port, but they couldn't be bothered doing the little bit of extra work required to make it run on Linux too.

well if the developers made at least some effort to make sure that the game runs up to some standard on linux, no matter the way, it's much better than nothing.

honestly, if it gets more games for linux, that's the main thing.
Sup Forums is seriously thinking of switching right now. when W7 is done for good.

dirt rally recently got a linux port. never tried it

A bunch of video games are made with nonfree engines. I doubt the developers of such engines care too much about linux compatibility.

Then we should boycott them, surely?

Wine is not an emulator. It's a compatibility layer that allows it to run natively. It's in the name.

PC gaming is shit though, I got so fucking sick of keeping Windows around just to play generic FPS games and bad console ports, not to mention the millions of shitty indie games that pollute steam

for all intensive purposes wine is, in fact, an emulator

Was posting this thread on /vr/ not enough or do you feel the need to shit out responses on every board vaguely related?

>intensive purposes

>for all intents and purposes
Fixed that for you.

Also I disagree. That is like calling Cygwin a GNU emulator or something equally stupid.

I already boycott nonfree software where I can. That includes nonfree vidya.

I don't mind paying for software, but I do mind paying for shitty second-rate software.

I don't mind paying for software either.
Free =/= gratis.

Recently I paid a guy to add a feature I needed to a program he wrote.

Good catch, I keep forgetting that free software usually means libre.

Unity and Unreal are both widely-used nonfree engines with Linux support.

kek
fucking lincucks

OS X gaming is no better. Many games are just the Windows game in a Cider wrapper. Yet another reason I wish Macs still used PowerPC. Can't get away with lazy bullshit like that on an incompatible architecture.

you had better be trying to be funny.

What was funny about my post?

the fact that you think that not being on powerpc is why mac games are shit.

I never said that though.

that is verbatim what you said.

WINE IS NOT AN EMULATOR RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT'S LIKE CALLING ELF AN EMULATOR

No it's not. What I was saying is that if OS X was still on PowerPC they would actually have to port the game instead of just tossing the Windows version in a Cider wrapper and calling it a day, which is completely accurate.

sorry then, that was your implication. which is wrong.

How is it wrong? You can't run x86 binaries on PowerPC, they're two entirely separate architectures.

>wine is, in fact, an emulator

No. Educate yourself nigger, this shit is worse than the hall of cost.

it doesn't mean that instead they would work to do it right. Instead they just wouldn't do it.

Wine Is Not an Emulator

Wine Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator

Wine Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator

Wine Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator

Wine Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator Is Not an Emulator

PowerPC Macs had some games. Of course some games simply wouldn't exist on OS X, I never said otherwise, but the ones that did exist would be native, as they should be.

Aren't both of those open sourced now?
Or am I thinking of some other engine?

not only would some games not exist, it would basicaly be Apple saying that they literally don't care about games at all. They would have no releases for the forseeable future.

earlier versions of UE are I think.

Sure they would. PowerPC OS X had some great games, it would have more had Apple not switched to Intel. Sure there would be less than Intel OS X has, but they would be native. Sims and Doom would likely still be running on PowerPC, what more could you want?

They don't hold up forever. Apple computers would be sidelined in the face of others that are better in every circumstance.
Apple is beholden to market forces is the takeaway here.

I have it. Needs 'xboxdrv' to use xbox controller other than that, runs smooth. Havent tried with a wheel though. Been saving up.

Not really. A few versions of UT engine got leaked, but no official legal release of the engine so that means the leaked source cannot be used to make new source ports or have bugs get fixed.

>intensive purposes
If only your claim by itself were the only thing wrong with your post it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Probably you're thinking of godot.

Wine Is Not an Emulator: WINE

retard

the same way windows needs garbage frameworks, wine provides those garbage frameworks.. and in a faster, better way than windows does

WINE isn't emulating anything it's just translating API from winshit ones to loonix ones and since it's faster than windows, it equals out to about the same speed

the only reason wine can't run 100% of everything is because it's closed source and half the stuff is "best guess" for stuff to work
the fact shit can be reverse engineered so well is fucking amazing honestly.. in the future as microsoft slowly open sources their shit wine will just run everything fine

WINE is intensively and literally *not* an emulator. Read the acronym.

Ugh, not him but while i get what you say i think it would have the opposite effect, if ports were harder instead of easier, for example not existing the possibility of using a wrapper, then most probably most of those developers wouldn't even bother in the fisrt place. If macs still use PowerPC i feel someone would try to make an x86 emulator and the situation would be even worse instead of better. Seriously, microsoft has a huge grip on game developers with their APIs so the soonest multi-platform technologies are adopted as the default the better for anyone who doesn't want to use windows.

>wine
>emulation

It works, it's not emulation and you're a fag

Completely agree and just to add some more background the situation is so ugly that you cannot even contribute to wine if by any means it's known that you have seen any microsoft's proprietary code at any point because there's risk of copyright infringement, it's like a minefield where the only way to develop for it is definitely through reverse engineering. The work of the wine developers is not only titanical but also often an ungrateful one, those guys really deserve the money they get with crossover.

wiki.winehq.org/Developer_FAQ

Literally stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"

You were dropped a lot as a baby

It's probably the hardest (and by hardest I mean worst) programming job there is.
I'd have to shave my head so I didn't rip my hair out

Linux has a what - 1.5% market share? Im happy there are a fuckton of nerds who chimpout about the lack of support though and get stuff like WINE working. Its the closest we're gonna get to AAA -title games on gahnoo plus loonux right now.

Any good FPS's that arent CSGO that run native gahnoo plus loonux?

>I almost wish wine didn't exist so developers would have to do Linux support properly and not just say "just run it in wine lel"
I know what you say but unfortunately wine is a necessary evil thanks to the huge microsoft's monopoly and a lot of developers trained into using exclusively microsoft APIs. Due to our marketshare the best we can do is to support and reward those developers who support our platform of choice even if it may seem insignifican, for example blizzzard went for the "just use wine" route, however if someone ask me if i recommend their games i point them to games that actually support linux instead when possible, simple as that. The good part about wine is that it harms significantly microsoft's lock-in for the people who comes from windows, for example there's a lot of people i recommended linux to that wouldn't have even considered the switch to linux if microsoft office or some other windows-only program they use is not available for them. After that i managed to slowly push them to multi-platform solutions like google docs and they're even happier and without any need to pirate anymore (most of them) but it wouldn't have been possible without wine.

TF2

Dammit you beat me to it!

No it isn't. Calling it an emulator just leads to more retards asking if they can run wine on their ARM board/smartphone.

>Any good FPS's that arent CSGO that run native gahnoo plus loonux?
Not sure about your tastes but maybe this:
gamingonlinux.com/articles/ballistic-overkill-is-one-unity-title-that-may-see-an-update-with-vulkan.9434
I like the shot and run kind of FPS's tho and the serious sam games will receive a vulkan update too.

>I'd have to shave my head so I didn't rip my hair out
I know, i think the same that's why it bothers me a bit when someone claims that wine sucks despite the huge amount of programs that work with it, those guys just talk for the sake of talking.

>guaranteed replies

Linux is not a good platform for selling proprietary softwares in binary form since there are so many distros.

Havnt played a TF since fhe 1.6 days. Thanks
Sweet. Fuck going outside, gonna be playing this tomorrow.

Wine
Is
aN
Emulator

dipshits it emulates windows games

steam is packaged natively for most distros nowadays. that's plenty.

it doesn't matter they run like shit anyway.

It doesn't emulate them.
It runs the game straight on the actual hardware.
It only offers the API functions the game expects.

easiest bait of this guy's life

fuck off pajeet

If Wine didn't exist the marketshare of Linux would be even lower among consumers, it would be relegated solely to the business/tech industry and there would be ZERO games outside of TuxRacer.

If it didn't exist those games wouldn't be on Linux at all.

Yeah most wouldn't bother, but the ones that did would do it right

Wine is not an emulator. They had to do something so the program worked there too.
They did a real mac port because lincucks either can`t afford it or they won't pay anyway.

There's a difference between a developer/distributor saying 'it just werks (in wine)' and them saying 'There is no linux support' and wine working.