/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-8GB-180SSD-WIFI-N-SD-WCAM-DVDRW-WIN7-PRO64-/371905541071?hash=item56974c33cf:g:wSwAAOSwux5YM5fV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is the screen on a T520 going to satisfy my older mother? she just does basic internet browsing, emails, and office work on it.

>pic related, my mom

Post battery stats

>640 cycles
>Design capacity 62.16Wh
>Full capacity 35.40Wh
>Wear level: 44%

I've heard about thinkpads having whitelisted hardware, and was thinking of installing my own screen, SSD, and ram in a T470 to avoid paying out the ass for a decent laptop (My First Thinkpad), will I have any issues?

Also, I was thinking about getting an X270 instead, since I already have a beefy desktop and wouldn't be using my laptop all day long, the X270 has better battery life, but I can't find any replacement screens for it, would any user care to give their opinion on which would be better for mobile spreadsheet business and point me to a FHD X270 screen?

ah fuck how did you get that?

The x270 should already have a fhd ips display

It has an option for it but they charge you $200 dollars for a screen that costs $60 max

Your mom definitely can handle a big black one.

>X270
>skim through german review
>hot as fuck in full load, literal space heater
>5h24min wifi browsing battery life

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP PHAM

any busines laptop with the following:
>ips display or be able to mod one
>quadcore core or be able to mod one
>ivy bridge or haswell preferred.
>usb 3.0 or be able to mod it.
>14 inches.
I was debating between the t430 but after some reading idk.

I found the t430 can use a quadcore i7 but no possibility of ips mod.

And the t430s can be modded to use a full hd ips display but the battery is worse even with the ultrabay battery and the cpu is soldered.

pls help, thinkpad, elitebook or latitude, doesn't matter.

T460p

fell for the thinkpad meme.

$150, and it's the nicest laptop I've ever owned. Thanks guys

anyone have experience with slice batteries and do you like them?
looking into one for x220t

Post some pics nigga

>be the ripe wee age of 17
>turning 18 right towards graduation if HS, still don't have a laptop for college
>standard poor HS student have about $180 knocking around that I can stand to spend (rest of savings were for college books)
>manage to get myself a ThinkPad T61, C2D T7500, 2GB ddr2-667mhz
>get an OEM 9 cell battery
>get another 2GB ddr2
>get an ultra adapter for 2nd HDD
>Get a Kingston 64GB SSD for boot
>Manage to come in just under budget
>so proud of myself (baby's first refurbished)
>stolen by inner city youths day 3 of college

All because my car was the type with windows that didn't roll up into the door frame. So the robbers were able to pull the window away from the car, snag the lock and open my door. Lost my Thinkpad, 4 freshly purchased college books, a brand new Jansport, my micro USB cigarette socket charger, and my Garmin GPS unit out of the glove box. Motherfuckers even took my mints out of my center console.

>stolen by inner city youths
niggers

forgot to mention I prefer ivy bridge or haswell due because budget.

a+ T430 - $140
3320m
5400m
8gb
180gb ssd
1600x900
bluetooth
ultimate 6300
extended battery
backlit keyboard

upgrades so far
3630qm - $100
16gb ram - $50
1tb sshd - $65
second hdd caddy - $10
125w ac adapter - $25

over the course of four months. couldnt have done better

>leaving your laptop in your car
Not saying you were asking for it, but come on man

this

just call them niggers

I need a thinkpad for under $250 ideally 15.6 inch screen. using it for web browsing and some basic script compiling. Can I have some comparisons of T510 vs T520?

I'd also like to be able to stick it on a dock and also put in an SSD

>shitpad meets mackepleb
epik!

get a W520

>script compiling
?

does the thinkpad t430 come with swappable bays like the old thinkpads did? im thinking of buying

ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-8GB-180SSD-WIFI-N-SD-WCAM-DVDRW-WIN7-PRO64-/371905541071?hash=item56974c33cf:g:wSwAAOSwux5YM5fV

but wondering if i'd be able to swap out the dvd drive with something useful

what's the poing of a dock when you have all the ports you need on the machine anyway?
if you need more usb ports, just get a dongle

>extra virgin
>thinkpad

checks out

You can leave everything plugged in and then just drop your laptop on when you get home and everything works

like external displays n shit

it wasn't even worth mentioning since a basic calculator has enough power to compile anything I'm working on. I meant it as more of a comfortable keyboard and screen for long viewing sessions.

You are now aware of the visible screws under the x230/t430 keyboard.

Man you are fucking stupid, college wont help you. Never leave anything in your car that isnt actually permanently attached to it.

Get a W520

you don't compile scripts you baka
you interpret them

>1366x768
i would advice against

>Leaving shit in my car
Yea I know I know. I've since learned that. I grew up in a decent neighborhood and theft was something entirely foreign to me at the time. And it wasn't left in there like overnight. It was only left in there after classes ended for the day while me and friends went and got dinner. We were less than a block away eating.

It getting stolen is what got me into security though. Both physical and digital. Alarms, locks. And later on, encryption. That laptop didn't even have a password on it. The thought of what could have happened had the device had banking info etc on it gave me nervous sweats.

What about C scripts?
checkmate nigger

not technically scripts
a script by definition is interpreted

why did you get a 125watt adapter? 90 would suffice

Does anyone know what is better for productivity and what looks better, the FHD 1080p display on the T series or on the X

Has anyone upgraded their t420 screen to the Alienware m14x r2 one? I currently have the matte 1600x900 display and while the resolution is fine man the colors and viewing angles are shiiiiit, it's the only thing that bothers me about this laptop

Wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to that panel. It's the same resolution as my current LCD, TN too, and glossy so idk but apparently the colors and viewing angles are better, just don't know if it's worth dropping ~$50+ on

For 8gb DDR3L ram at 1600mhz is there a noticeable difference when I install another 8gb in dual channel? Provided I don't use the 8gb fully at all.

No gaymes only work related stuff

help

I'm going to buy an x220/t x230/t for graphical work, vm-s, cs:go/wow/doto2/sc2 on the road (lowest setting are fine to me). Are there any good upgrades that can be done ? I already have 8GB single stick DDR3 from my current dell 7720 (will be selling it cus 91% wear level on battery and it's too large for college uasage) and hdd+ssd.

I'M GOIN' FULL LIBRE BOYS!

t400/x200?

x200
>tfw not sure if I fucked up
>tfw I decided to enable verbose mode so now I get to watch a bunch of error messages that MAY be meaningless

AYYY!

Congrats with your de-botneting of you x200.
I hope I will be able to do the same with my x220 soon.

hi anons
should i get a t460 or a t460s
what's the difference besides size

The amount of ass you get to eat.

what do you mean by this?

Get neither because they are both chinkshit, stick with **20 series or older.

What fps will I get in osu! On minimum settings obviously, on an x301 (core 2 duo, 1.6ghz, with igpu)?

Not that user but we're not all poorfags who need to buy a 7 year old laptop then spend 500$ upgrading it.

Pls respond

90 iq reply.

Currently considering these as well. From what I read the 460s has somewhat more high quality materials (though the 460 has better ones than the 460p as well), but a non removable battery and also it's just more expensive.

I get the t420 was great, but it's just outdated. The cpu is outdated, the ports are ridiculous outdated (does it even have a DVD drive?), you 100% need to change the screen and the HDD for SSD which will cost you upwards of 300$ by itself (and pray you don't get the screen flickering issue).

Just don't get a nu thinkpad
Please don't enable Lenovo, the new ones have shit build quality, screens are still shit (except for x1 carbon). The only reason anyone buys them is because of the thinkpad Brand.
The only reason to get a 2016/17 laptop anywayis if you need a good gpu, because CPUs have barely improved since Haswell. If you do need a new laptop, get a Dell latitude or xps.

With newer generations there's not too much of a difference, as far as I can tell the slim models are just later and better specced, don't have removeable batteries (not that you get as many options for batteries anyway) and are obviously slimmer.

You're probably better off just getting whichever gets you the better specs for the price desu. I assume getting it slimmer is a tradeoff with sturdiness to some degree, but chances are the hinge or something similar will break before anything else anyway regardless of the model.

The build quality on the 460 and 460s is great, maybe 10% worse compared to the 20 series but 300% better than other laptops. Also it will last you a while not only because of the waterproof keyboard and magnesium cage, but you can just replace most components.

All thinkpad screens were shit. At least it's stock 1080p shit now.

I agree on the CPU, but if you come like me from a 4 y.o. standard laptop (3rd gen i5, 4gb ram, HDD, 1372x764 (or something)) you essentially need to upgrade every single component and might as well get a new one altogether. When you do the same to a 5 year old thinkpad you'll have the same problem, just a better build.

I heard a lot of criticism of the X230 build quality, so I'm considering an X260. Bad idea?

the x230 and x220 are the fucking same I own both of them they are literally the same apart from the keyboard

>I heard a lot of criticism of the X230 build quality
As far as I know, they're basically just the X220 with a different Motherboard and keyboard, plus some subsequent nuances with Lenovo's jewery with the bios. I don't have an X230 to be absolutely sure, but there's definitely one retard in this thread that loves to spew fud about the difference in the generations that they don't ever manage to source or explain.

>so I'm considering an X260. Bad idea?
If you don't mind the price and you think it'll suit your needs in terms of screen size, I don't think you can go too wrong with it.

>does it even have a DVD drive?
poor bait

You use DVDs weekly?

Who does?

>The build quality on the 460 and 460s is great
Say that to my T460 which I dropped from waist height and both screen hinges broke off.
very bad idea, see reply above

IGNORE THE GOOK LEL-NO-VO SHILLPOSTERS

People think that these new thinkpads, of great specs, and battery life
should exist a good laptop. However, the opposite is the case.

In these so called "Business Laptops", durability and usability are by no means
the main focus of attention. What really matters is the existence of the market of normals,
and how these laptops appeal to the normalfags.

LENOVO GOOKS!
They are the only ones!
Described as inter-thread elements. Which conducts their shilling everywhere.
It is a small rootless inter-thread clique, that does not want people to have good durable laptops.

We must start the kampf against the lenovo gooks! They want to scam us.
In all seriousness, have you noticed that now the entire thread is filled with new thinkpads
and recommendations for new thinkpads, while earlier it was everyone against der lenovo shill.

START THE KAMPF, RESTORE THE IBM REICH!

Dropping a laptop or phone can always result in breaking it. Mostly a matter of bad luck. Did you drop it with the screen open?

I wouldn't mind if the X230 and earlier weren't so thick (and ugly).
Also old batteries that don't last long.

That's why I'm more interested in newer laptops, Lenovo or something else, doesn't matter.

Yes, I dropped with the screen open.
However, I have done the same multiple times with my t40 and it is still perfectly functional.
The point of getting a thinkpad over other laptops was that it was built like a tank and is easily repairable/expanable.
Basically giving the best of both desktops and laptops. Now that new thinkpads dont hold up no where near as well
as they used to in these catagories, due to trying to appeal to the gernal market by becoming a macbook clone,
they offer no significant advantage over other new laptops.

Why do you think the OP still recommends the t420/x220? Lenovo hasn't come out with any worthwhile laptops since the **20.

But upgrading the 420 to make it your main machine just isn't feasible. It has no usb3, no HDMI out, it has a fucking DVD drive. That is even before you get to replacing the cpu, the ssd, the ram and the screen.

And there is no modern equivalent with the build quality of the t460(s) (and maybe 470 but idk). Even the Dell latitudes are at best equal and they cost a lot more.

>no usb3
Solved with a $20 express card.
>no HDMI out
Not needed, has a display port connector which can easily be converted to hdmi.
>has a fucking DVD drive
So? If you want you can replace it with a hard drive, or an extra battery.
There is no other laptop with such a feature, and shows how versatile old thinkpads are.
>replacing the cpu
Not required, sandy bride i5 M processors are on par with the latest ULV U series intel cpus
>replacing ssd
Not nessecary, but useful
>replacing the ram
Not required, its quite cheap though.
>replacing the screen
Not needed, the screen is perfectly adiquate, even if shitty.

I calculated that even with all the upgrades you mentioned, a T420 would cost $500, while a entry model T460 costs $650

>And there is no modern equivalent with the build quality of the t460(s)
What are toughbooks? T460 only edges out a slight bit over other high end laptops because they are all plastic-only.

>Solved with a $20 express card
aren't those quite a bit slower than real USB 3?

not him btw

yes
they also tend to run hot and cause problems for your system.
t420 can't do an ultrabay battery
thinkpads haven't been able to do that since the _61's

can a x220 run like 3 virtual machines for testing purposes, I am trying to learn server basics, configuring domain controllers and shit and I'm wondering if it will be too slow. I can get one with 8gb of ram and an ssd for 200€ with new battery.

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. I've been deploying openstack devstacks locally on my X220 for a while.

what about C scripts for a C Shell?

those are shell scripts that are interpreted by the C shell aka csh

Oh, I see.

The term "script" pretty much just means code that is interpreted, and by definition if you're correctly calling something that then that's just how it's run regardless of the technical implementation.

What's a good price for an X220 with an IPS, the best i7, only 4GB ram and a 300GB HDD?

Lads, How I can a recognice a T60 15 of a T60 14.1 by photos alones?

give me a good reason not to buy a p50

There isn't any, execept the size and weight, but that doesn't have to be a minus tho.

I think I'm in love with my x220
wat do?

cry because you know that in near future it will become obsolete.

I'm not worried about those, my current laptop is both heavier and larger than the p50. I'm just wondering if there are similar options that don't cost ~2000€

why?

Daily reminder that T420 chasis is one of the worst designs of Lenovo.

Daily reminder that your mother is a guy.

>so assblasted
But in fact it is. The case has lots of weak point and points where flexes, creaks and cracks.
Thinkpads will be not the same until lenovo get his shit done.

Me
no
habla
inglandos

To be more precise, am I being ripped off at $200?

I'm happy with the good processor and IPS screen, but I'm gonna have to upgrade the RAM and storage, so I'm still having reservations.

You are not getting riped off.

Thanks.

Also I'm an idiot, but if a ram stick is being sold as "X230 RAM", it should be good for X220 too, right?

Also, what limitations should I consider for an mSATA? Thinkwiki doesn't say anything about form factors or anything.

It's DDR3. As long you don't do something that requires being anal about ram specs, you're fine.