Are smartphones the future of desktop computing?

Are smartphones the future of desktop computing?

youtube.com/watch?v=QA31CaL_42A

youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ44vz5MJ4s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no, my butt is.

Kill your self.

yes, they are.

>Turn phones into computers for normies
>State Surveillance goes EVEN BEYOND
Its the perfect pipe dream of our overlords, expect to see massive amount of shilling for it in the coming years

Totally, because people at work never need to use their phone and computer concurrently at the same time, also thermal throttling and the lack of proper cooling won't at all be a factor because Desktop-specific software is increasingly efficient and non-resource intensive these days.

Oh yeah, we all want 800MHz dual-core donglebook simulators.

For simple web browsing and task problems sure. I'm sure most do now. There is no reason to own desktop or even a laptop unless you are doing processing intensive work or gaming.

Why not?

More like 2.5Ghz octa cores. Still ARM though.

>future
that's a weird way of saying the present...

THIS.

Fuck that. Real desktop computers aren't going anywhere.

Normies will be quick to adapt it, since they don't need any heavy processing power to browse Facebook & watch YouTube

>smartphone

This.

More than likely yes, given the hardware available in flagship smartphones today. At least for the average person who doesn't care about technology or AAA games.

>lose phone
>lose computer

lmao great job

Yes, 95% of users don't need anything more than android.

>lose wallet
>lose credit card

lmao always put cards in ur ass

I really want that actually. I can't even think how I'd use it but I really want it.

Phones are slowly going for the same price as desktops so probably yes.

They melt under the workstation load.

look on the bright side, maybe this will make developing roms more financially viable and we'll get full linux distros to look at it.

Maybe as soon as someone puts out one that is
>platform agnostic (per OS)
>actually priced for what you're getting (a monitor and KBM
>laptop shaped and not just fed by a dongle
then I'll definitely think about it.

>phone becomes slow and shitty because android
>computer becomes slow and shitty as a result
>buy the newest phone to replace it
>suddenly need to buy a new display, keyboard and connector dock because it doesn't work with your new phone

It's going to be the early 2000s all over again.

Along with the fact you don't have to deal with a draining battery and shitty cheap charge cord

Smartphones and tablets are the worst thing to happen to the internet.
Prove me wrong.

>>phone becomes slow and shitty because iOS
>>computer becomes slow and shitty as a result
>>buy the newest phone to replace it
>>suddenly need to buy a new display, keyboard and connector dock because it doesn't work with your new phone
>It's going to be the early 2000s all over again.
Fixed

My phone is always in my pocket. It never leaves my side. The only time it isn't in my pocket is when it's on the nightstand while I'm sleeping, or on the bathroom sink when I'm taking a shower.

>get robbed
>lose phone and your home computer

>not being a second-amendment person

>smallCock.png

you'll get stabbed before you can even unholster

youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

Letting shitskins get within 20ft.

most people don't actually get a real value out of computation, so yeah
Fucking retards will be using their phone for everything

well, it would be nice. having a different architecture on "desktop" especially if it would be able to run other OSs (hopefully)
but, fuck ARM for having to register - just to see full instruction set

That was my dream with the Zenfone 2.
Where did it's processor sit, in the regular atom area? I had a tf100 with a z3735... Was it much worse than that? Cause I could see myself using that as a day-to-day, and using a desktop for gaming.

ZENFONE

No, because no one in the future uses desktops other than professionals

Hell yeah!

Check your privilege cuck boy.

Most normies do everything from their phones anyway. Throw in some proper office and email apps on the big screen and this will be the future desktop replacement for a shit ton of people.

>because people at work never need to use their phone and computer concurrently at the same time
Why wouldn't you be able to use your phone as a phone while having it docked?

At worst you would pull it out to hold it to your ear and then just plug it back in. It's not like it would do anything other than put what you were working on to the background like anything else when you take a call on your phone.

>>suddenly need to buy a new display, keyboard and connector dock because it doesn't work with your new phone
With USB-C this shouldn't be a problem.

on the hardware side.

So you honestly think companies that make these docks will stop using standard keyboards, mice, and monitors?

literally both of the options in the OP have done that.

Why do you lie in such an obvious way? The Dex is shown to have 2 standard USB ports and an HDMI port, and the Continuum video even shows the guy using a fucking mechanical memeboard.

Android is pretty standard. You can already plug it into pretty much any HDMI output and plug any USB keyboard/mouse into it. Might require Android 4.2+ but that's about it.

For normies, their smartphones already have more than enough power. RemixOS/Windows 10 mini PCs with smartphone CPUs in them prove that already.

They could be if manufacturers actually made an effort to keep them up to date. Imagine if older phones that have less use could be re-purposed as RasPi like devices instead of discarded

I said hardware side. Samsung does not have a good history of making their stuff phone-agnostic.

Yes

Just downclock in undocked mode

Ubuntu Edge 2.0, here we go.

Desktop? No

Laptop? Possibly

>Implying it can't do both

>Implying a smartphone could have the same specs as a desktop in the reasonable future
Please sit back down

>implying smartphones actually need specs comparable to a modern desktop to be usable for most of the things people use modern computers for, with the exceptions being AAA games and niche uses

For things average people use computers for, smartphones can suffice performance-wise.

>Implying people with basic computer uses will even be using desktops by this time
If your satisfied with being average...

There are already mini PCs with ARM smartphone SoCs or Intel Atom CPUs in them and your grandma isn't going to be able to tell the difference.

>Are smartphones the future of desktop computing?

No.

Why would people bother having a monitor, keyboard and mouse but NOT a pc ??

This kind of nonsense has been tried before (I think it was motorola ?) and I never heard anything about it ever again outside the press release/ tech demo shit

because they're not apple enough to be able to create their own market

These are not a replacement for even entry performance desktops

And my grandma uses an iPad and words like "dank" and "drawlin"