/urban/ + /architecture/

East Asia edition

why are american cities so spread out? why don't they understand that the european urban tradition is superior?

I think it's because the US has a lot of (relatively) flat land on the coasts and low population density. One is more comfortable living in his own house in suburbs but generally speaking it costs a lot more and it's extremely insufficient. Even though they are slowly developing awareness on all these drawbacks I honestly doubt they will implement any significant changes soon.

Good morning, lad(s).

heil

HOW DOES JAPAN EVEN COMPETE

we invested heavily in the car and cars need lots of room.

oh yes I actually forgot about the cars aswell, they are a decisive factor in shaping the US urban areas this way

These fancy asian cities despite looking fancy are felt like something alien and fake, I dunno why.

Because it's all generic, plain architecture that can be found anywhere.

>These fancy asian cities despite looking fancy
How are they "fancy"? Wouldn't call any of them "fancy".
>are felt like something alien and fake
where do you live? excepts for (relatively small) Moscow CBD you won't experience a city vibe like this nowhere in Russia, you aren't just used to such thing so it feels "alien" to you
>Because it's all generic, plain architecture that can be found anywhere.
But cities like this virtually don't exist outside of East Asia.

>But cities like this virtually don't exist outside of East Asia.
true, but all of those buildings do. those are just cheap 1970s/1980s plain buildings that every city has plenty of.

you think these are "cheap" and "every city has plenty of them"?

I live not far from Moscow. Call it a suburb (russian version of it, I would say "vertical" suburb.
You know when I see american metropolises I fell like-yeah, that's how it should be and I would like to live there.

That's the most popular new housing in Russia right now.

american urban sprawl isn't anything to take an example of

looks pretty good

I would disagree with you. It gives more living space for a single human being than anything else ever.
The problem with them is they are so big that there are traffic jams every morning and evening around them.

opinions? if you think some city should/shouldn't be included say now because when we start it will be too late

looks alright. Hopefully they get more designed in the future. It's a nice shift from the grey blocks.

Seattle should replace Vancouver.

half of my remaining life to live in that place.

I still don't think Mexico City is fit to be there.

Vancouver is fine. Seattle should replace Miami if anything.

>It gives more living space for a single human being than anything else ever.
such a selfish point of view, there is a lot of human beings, and an accountable housing should take into consideration more things than "giving the most living space"

suburbs are expensive, insufficient and harm the environment
>The problem with them is they are so big that there are traffic jams every morning and evening around them.
they are too tall and too densely packed

this is actually going quite the opposite - packing the humans too densely which isn't even justified by natural factors like in S.Korea/Japan

definitely not replacing any of Canadian cities, they deserve atleast 2 in here

I can replace one of Australian ones, 3 seems a way too much for a country with a population of 24m (the US has only 4) but honestly all the included ones are kind of world top tier

Seattle will replace Miami I guess, I'm not a fan of Seattle personally but I see a lot of people shill for it

>such a selfish point of view, there is a lot of human beings, and an accountable housing should take into consideration more things than "giving the most living space"
If you have enough space that's all not a problem.
>they are too tall and too densely packed

this is actually going quite the opposite - packing the humans too densely which isn't even justified by natural factors like in S.Korea/Japan
Yeah, it's obvious, sadly people are too poor here to build more private houses.

Ok what about another controversial one: Mexico City?

>If you have enough space that's all not a problem.
the thing is we don't (as a planet)
>Yeah, it's obvious, sadly people are too poor here to build more private houses.
Moscow suburbs have GOAT houses btw

'no'

it's not about "if city is shit or not" it's about skylines

like Bangkok has a lot of shitty areas still it has to be included because a prominent skyline, or Mumbai which is 99% literal shit tier but I think should be included aswell

>Moscow suburbs have GOAT houses btw
You mean these gated communities with 1mln$ houses?
>the thing is we don't (as a planet)
Some countries definitely have though.

it's pretty average for North America then.

>You mean these gated communities with 1mln$ houses?
I suppose so?

I've seen the gated communities in Warsaw suburbs, they are goat aswell
it's from Latin America though

Mexico is in North America, even if I always assumed it was Central America.

yes but for the competition I include it into Latin America

if it was included in North America there wouldn't be any discussion if it should be in or not, it shouldn't

I don't see why you'd even include it for Latin America. Is it because it overall has a few modern towers with some height? Because the main CBD just looks like that of Naples, but somehow less impressive, and the other towers in the city are scattered around at random. There's one decent view, which you already posted, but overall I think there's better.

>I suppose so?
I dunno, u said Moscow suburban houses are goat, I tried to specify what houses do you mean exactly.