ISP privacy rules are dead

>On Monday, President Donald Trump signed a repeal of online privacy rules that would have limited the ability of ISPs to share or sell customers' browsing history for advertising purposes.

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/trumps-signature-makes-it-official-isp-privacy-rules-are-dead/

t-thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/03/10/upshot/why-trump-supporters-have-the-most-to-lose-with-the-gop-repeal-bill.html?_r=0
nytimes.com/2017/04/01/opinion/sunday/in-trump-country-shock-at-trump-budget-cuts-but-still-loyalty.html
nytimes.com/2017/03/29/business/coal-jobs-trump-appalachia.html
nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/trump-budget-cuts.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_(behavior)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Americans
kek

More the reason for always-on VPN at the router.

>le maymay president will make everything great

fucking kek

Great if you're an ISP. That's what he meant, right?

Love the cousin fucking rednecks who voted for him thinking that everything is gonna be great.

Yeah, for the companies.
>b-but muh jobs
Enjoy your coal mining, you assbackwards fuckwad.

Who fucking cares.

make everything great for wall street

>implying killary wouldn't have done the same

Two wrongs doesn't make a right

>freedom

>BUILD WALL (street)
It all makes sense now

Reality>Counterfactuals

I just wanted to point out there's no escape. Privacy will be dead until 2030 and there's absolutely nothing to do to prevent this.

I know who wouldn't have...

Those strawmans though, I love how you still didn't learn that this attitude is what won him the election.

In America maybe yeah

In other news not a single journalist knows how to read privacy laws let alone the law they are talking about, but don't worry it has scary words and trump did it so we need to act like it's the end of the world.

Thanks for the heads up, Verizon.

lol

kek

So what shithole do you live in that'll still totally have "privacy"?

I love these headlines more than anything else in life at the moment, tbqh

nytimes.com/2017/03/10/upshot/why-trump-supporters-have-the-most-to-lose-with-the-gop-repeal-bill.html?_r=0
nytimes.com/2017/04/01/opinion/sunday/in-trump-country-shock-at-trump-budget-cuts-but-still-loyalty.html
nytimes.com/2017/03/29/business/coal-jobs-trump-appalachia.html
nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/trump-budget-cuts.html

I honestly can't wait for the south/middle America to suffer under their choices. My liberal bubble in NYC isn't going to even slightly be affected, we have more than enough money to survive whatever cuts Trump may bring our way or "give the rights back to the state".

Y'all made your bed, now it's time to lie in it.

Wouldn't you like to know

> hurr hurr, le new tech lost its monopoly over user personal data

Nice trips user.
>implying the rules were too cryptic for the layman citizen
It was actually pretty straightforward: starting 2018 ISPs were required your explicit consent to sell your data to third-parties. I can't understand how anyone could unironically be against that law...

Firstly, they dont have the right to sell your browsing history, they have the right to sell your billing info. Anyone saying different is just outright lying. If you are outraged about this, you should be losing your shit over the info that your bank and credit card company sell.

Secondly, the rules that were repealed wernt even in effect yet, obama tried to stick in an attempt to get them in right before he was kicked out of office. They would of never been approved so he passed the buck to the next guy to take the blame even though his entire term those rules were never in effect.

Oke Verizon

>don't take my memes

Thanks for correcting the record, Ivan.

The thing people forgot is that they weren't voting for Trump or Hillary. They were voting for republicans or democrats. I agree that Hillary is complete shit but at least the democrats aren't fucking retarded backward dinosaurs who can't keep up with the modern world.

>Allowed by bush: no one cares
>Furthered by Obama: no one cares
>Furthered by Trump: OH MY FUCKING GOD IT'S LITERALLY HITLER DRUMPF BTFO

>le may may arguement

T-Mobile's privacy policy explicitly states they share a "'''''''''de-identified'''''''' profile of your web-browsing or application use activity. So does AT&T and Verizon has a long-standing bulk collection of websites visisted, applications purchased, downloaded, etc. And that Verizon clearly states they "customize ads based on "your visits over time to different non-Verizon websites"

The repeal of the law now allows Verizon to automatically assume your consent to this.

Again, how many fucking times do we need to state two wrongs don't make a right. Why the fuck are you defending the erosion of your privacy for profit? It's literally not even a loss of privacy for safety, it's directly so your information can pay some other dude's million-dollar sallary

Shoot, they know I use Sup Forums.

>suddenly you start receiving dragon dildos ads

So the ISP can sell the proprietary (data) for they clients without asking for the same? Kek.

How come you didn't give a flying fuck until LE DRUMPF did it? Fuck off dipshit and kill yourself.

Boy, NSA is working hard wIth these anti trump threads everyday

Drumpftards will defend this.

NSA will shill this

>Smug Reddit left cuck elitism

Literally the entire reason all of us normal people hate you sheltered newfag fuckwits.

Have fun with another 4 years thanks to dumbasses like you. I'm sure you actually think Cunton would've been better.

This.

The rest of the world is fine, just move out.

It's already in the ToS.

Why would Hillary repeal privacy protections put in place by Obama? Especially when all the Democrats in the House and Senate Voted against this bill.

Top cuck

>Has nothing left to defend Drumpf with
>Brings up irrelevant people
Republicans folks.

Because I'm not defending trump dumb fuck I'm attacking you smug elitist lefty cuckolds.

>Irrelevant people

Like the only other choice? If you're smugly attacking the "dumb rednecks" who voted Trump you must think there's a valid alternative. If not Hillary than Jill Steinberg or Aleppo.

Be honest, would you let your ISP sell your nudes without permission?

Your inability to correctly spell the name of the current president of the United States undermines your argument. Run along to the kid's table.

>implying haven't cared about shit like this since Clinton was president
I can see past (R)s and (D)s. Can you?

false. people already cared. maybe youd know if you werent living under a rock.

recommendations?

>People are going to steal your car anyway, so what's wrong if it's made legal?

Drumpf supporters in a nutshell today

Really embarrassing

>complaining about an insult like that
>on Sup Forums
It seems you are the one who should be running along to the kiddie table.

I'm convinced these threads are spammed by lefty shills

There's a point where it went from being believable trolling and baiting to obvious shilling and that was 500 reposted versions of the same fucking shit every single fucking day for the past fucking month and a half

I'm tired of this shit

get the fuck off my board you cucks I want to talk about technology not how deep trumps dick is up your ass

1. I'm not the guy you were arguing with before so fuck off.

2. Suck it up and accept that Trump is fucking up.

Aww did I hurt your feelings? Better go back to your safe space and r/T_D

No shit trump is fucking up you stupid ape i didn't say he wasn't. Every president we have ever had has fucked up in my eyes to some degree moron.

If you're not who I was talking to before don't get your fucking panties in a bunch on your chastity cage you little fag when you respond like you are.

>Attacking "leftists" because you don't care about any of this

Are you actually retarded?

>The repeal of the law now allows Verizon to automatically assume your consent to this.
Nope, rules like that you consent to when you use shitty carriers, it has nothing to do with this ruling. They have done it since the beginning and at no point did they stop, so nothing has changed.

>I'm convinced these threads are spammed by lefty shills
oh wow do you watch infowars too? sure you are also convinced that climate change is a hoax! retard...
This law just got signed by the president. If this thread makes your ass hurt you can move back to /r/le_donald, faggot.

I do care about this dumb ass but I'm not a deluded fag who thinks "hurr drumpf" is the first or only person who would do dumb shit as president and I'm confident I made a good decision voting for him over fucking Hillary.

And now it's the VPN service that's selling your data! Surprise!

For a tech board this place sure is full of tech illiterate redditors

Does anyone else think it's funny how all the people arguing in favor of this bill aren't actually giving any reason for why it's a good thing and instead are just trying to do damage control and posting about how it isn't that bad?

>what Obama did was give that right to certain companies and ban others from doing the same
No, what he did was ban the companies that he was within his power to ban from doing so. Those companies also happen to be the ones you can't easily opt out of or replace with another company due to local monopolies. The FCC doesn't have the authority to go after websites, so expecting websites to be covered by the FCC's privacy rules is retarded.

Explain how this bill would have changed anything and not be circumvented with a ToS agreement.

And I'm confident you're a retard

Wow not an argument shocking.

Lurk more redditor.

Worst case scenario it would still have required ISPs to give more details about what data they're collecting/selling. Are you saying that transparency about what ISPs do with your personal data is a bad thing? Also, do you have any actual reasons why getting rid of the FCC's privacy rules is a good thing?

That guy mentioned Facebook, but Facebook isn't an ISP.

However Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner, etc ARE ISPs and they were also regulated by the FCC.

So instead of just websites being able to sell your web history, now your ISP can sell ALL of your internet traffic (torrenting, streaming, browsing, location, maybe even key logging)

>more details

You know that little "send anonymous usage data to XXX" in browsers? That's the same thing, except you can't opt out. A ToS agreement shits all over this useless law, especially since a lot of areas do not have competitors. What are you gonna do, NOT sign it and be internetless?

>now
The law never went into effect. Nothing has changed.

You guys are outraged over nothing. This is all political shitflinging designed to make you angry at the President at the behest of the Democrats.

>b-but muh ToS
More ISP transparency on the issue of data collection = better threat modeling for people trying to protect themselves from said data collection. Now again, do you have any actual reasons why getting rid of the FCC's privacy rules is a good thing?

NSA, get the fuck out. Stop undermining trump

>the law never went into effect

source? If it never went into effect then what's the point of the repeal?

> drumpf
> drumpf
> drumpf
> drumpf
So much racism, tolerant liberals on their best

The NSA will be stopped

>complaining about racism
>on Sup Forums
Fuck off you worthless nigger.

>Posting old twitter-trained and morbidly obese orangutan

This is bestiality free board, fyi

No, it's not more "transparent". You can assume everything you do under an ISP is being sold to advertisers (anonymously, of course).

And as I said, it's a useless law that is easily circumvented with a contract. If there was more competition among ISPs then maybe it would have some value, but that won't be the case for a long time. Your bitching about the FCC has little relevance.

It's literally in OP's post.

>would have
It was an Obama regulation that didn't really do anything. Trump campaigned against aggressive regulations so this fits his agenda.

Ultimately nothing has changed. The media is acting like it's the end of the world, as usual. All they want you to do is hate Trump.

>he thinks he provided an argument

Go back to Sup Forums

Fuck off NDA

I literally did you fucking moron. The only argument presented to me was "hurr dumb rednekcs will regret voting for drumpf!".

> nigger
But you lefties meant to be progressive liberals shitting butterlfies. What's happened, are you the same evil nazis as a fucking wh*te male?

>people finally begin to care

>HURDUR U R ALL RETARDS NOW

this picture is you

NSA niggers, leave now. You won't win

>No, it's not more "transparent".
That is literally the dictionary definition of transparency. Here's an article on it so you can stop embarrassing yourself when you post here doing damage control for Trump:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_(behavior)

You're obsessed over semantics, the clear sign of a loser.

Either way, Trump is President and you're very butthurt.

>implying
The only argument presented to me was "hurr durr other presidents did it stop yelling at trump durfff".

Okay, I see what you're saying. That makes more sense.

You're from the NSA, don't deny it. You're trying to undermine trump and overthrow freedom further.

That wasn't me who said that anyway you fuckwit.

I was responding to the guy acting like trump voters are dumbasses and implying there was a better choice. there wasn't.

All presidents do stupid horrible shit, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone unless you're 14 years old.

This. We got traitor agencies.

And for anyone else who is confused about this whole thing, this is all taken directly from the article...hopefully the article is accurate and valid.

>The FCC privacy rules
would have required home Internet and mobile broadband providers to get consumers' opt-in consent before using, sharing, or selling Web browsing history, app usage history, and other private information.
>The opt-in provision could have taken effect as early as December 4, 2017.

>Without such rules, ISPs can analyze their customers' Web browsing history in order to deliver personalized advertisements without seeking their prior consent. This doesn't have to involve the sale of browsing data:
ISPs who operate their own advertising networks (such as Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon) would be able to sell targeted ads without sharing their customers' browsing history with third parties.

But ISPs without their own ad networks could also contract with third parties and share browsing data with them. The FCC rules would have required ISPs to gain customers' opt-in consent before using or sharing their browsing data for any purpose. ISPs have pledged to let customers opt out of personalized advertising but oppose the opt-in requirement.

its just a meme, bro trump wont actually get in

I don't entirely approve is trump, but what the NSA and CIA are doing are not cool.

Kek
Nobody is surprised dipshit, they're rightfully upset.

>there wasn't a better choice
Hmm perhaps the candidate that wasn't anti-net neutrality :thinking:

Also it doesn't mention if this 'opt-in' was a true volunteer program or just a few lines in a long TOS. My guess is the latter.

kek all you want shill, but I see through your psyops. You won't fool me.

being mean to people who deserve it won him the election? that sounds like sound reasoning and not just emotional rationalization.

Yeah let's vote for the candidate who is anti gun, more hawkish than Trump and far worse in every other way because of net neutrality.

Please kill yourself for suggesting fucking Hillary. Honestly hope you do you stupid Reddit piece of shit

>:Thinking:

Back to fagbook