Tim Berners-Lee Receives Turing Prize

Today, Sir Tim Berners-Lee received a Turing Award, the equivalent to Nobel Prize in Computer Science, for inventing the World Wide Web.

news.mit.edu/2017/tim-berners-lee-wins-turing-award-0404

He wrote the very first web browser and the very first web server on a NeXT machine. The machine that Steve Jobs invented. It ran NeXTSTEP operating system which is the direct predecessor of macOS and macOS, to this day, still works like NeXTSTEP underneath.

So, without the NeXT, Steve Jobs, macOS, we wouldn't have the WWW today.

How does that make you feel?

PS: Pic related... Tim's NeXT that's now in a museum.

PPS: What the fuck have you done on your RGB-lit gaymer shitbox?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/blog/2011/oct/16/tim-berners-lee-steve-jobs
granneman.com/tech/background/history/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>given an award named after a faggot

yeah I'm sure he's thrilled

don't cut yourself on that edge, bro

Ted Nelson was robbed, fuck Tim.

You know what's fucking great? Sup Forums runs on Macs.

Moot even wrote Sup Forums code on a Mac as well.

Everything you use daily was written on Macs (especially if you use anything from Google, facebook, twitter etc).

I always laugh at Mac haters... they're the biggest tools on this board.

ted nelson was a scatterbrained retard "ideas guy" who failed at every chance handed to him. he was given multiple chances at every turn to turn project xanadu into something real, and he fucked it up with his craziness every single fucking time. he had decades to make it real. DECADES. he still couldn't make a real product until he bamboozled a bunch of idiot hippie silicon valley types into making a barely working concept version of it, and then everything devolved into infighting.

so no, don't fucking tell me he was robbed. he was a god damned mentally ill hippie retard.

^^ this. he was a giant failure.

If it wasn't this piece of garbage that Tim invented the web with, it would have been some other computer. Jobs was not responsible for the entire fucking universe you cultist fuck.

>bullshit
the post

stay mad!

>If it wasn't this piece of garbage that Tim invented the web with, it would have been some other computer.
But it wouldn't have been the same.
The WWW was developed in the late '80s. You can probably imagine a WWW based on Windows 2.0. It would look like some X-windows nightmare. Hypertext (the WWW runs on it) wasn't all that common before Apple included it free with the Mac and Owl's GUIDE arrived for the PC in 1987.

KEK... all that immense butthurt.

theguardian.com/technology/blog/2011/oct/16/tim-berners-lee-steve-jobs

Tim's on the fucking record proving you wrong.

You mean, reality, non-Jobs distortion-field, the post.

>But it wouldn't have been the same

Very debatable.

All that says is Tim believes Jobs made computing "usable", not that Jobs inspired the world wide web. Completely separate and distinct from the inference in the OP. Therefore, I am not "wrong" as you have proven nothing.

Fucking morons, I swear.

Didn't be just steal futaba code
And the mac thing was a joke

>Fucking morons, I swear.
dat butthurt... I swear.

>So, without the NeXT, Steve Jobs, macOS, we wouldn't have the WWW today.

>How does that make you feel?

It makes me feel like you are a delude fanboy

The only thing that would had changed would have been that Tim would have had to buy another UNIX workstation. Maybe work a few more hours, but in the end the result is the same. Unix is Unix, it does not matter if you run it on hardware from Apple or another company

Hey, how's life?

LMAO.. he brings bullshit macbook images..

aahahaha

we're talking about NeXT you buttmad shithead pajeet.

Hey, I have a folder full of this shit.

* [1993] Tim Berners Lee invents internet
* [2017 March] gives up and says DRM is ok
* [2017 April] wins some award

the timing is fascinating

i was waiting for someone to mix up "WWW" with "the internet"

>dat rage-inducing tone
>not knowing your IT history
granneman.com/tech/background/history/
Get your facts right, please. Without NeXT, Steve Jobs, macOS, the WWW would still exist, just probably in a form different than what we have today.

moar pics of jobs dying of cancer?

Now someone should mix up "Tim Berners-Lee" with "Al Gore".

Hey dude, I truly hope one of your family members (preferably you) gets cancer. Assholes like you always bring the bad karma onto them. Please die in the most painful way possible. You deserve it.

Can you prove that? Nope, you can't Just wishful thinking of a butthurt retard.

>Hey dude, I truly hope one of your family members (preferably you) gets cancer. Assholes like you always bring the bad karma onto them. Please die in the most painful way possible. You deserve it.

Wishing cancer on someone is abhorrent. You deserve it just for that comment.

The image was posted at random you fucking tool. You know what though? I'm glad you were so fucking pissed you soiled yourself enough to think it was meant as a slight against Jobs. It wasn't, for your information. You sad, stupid, over-emotional retard. Go make a youtube video crying into the camera, you prick.

You WILL get cancer. Your mother WILL get it first and you will watch her die and then YOU WILL GET IT.

Assholes who mock cancer patients are the scum of the earth. You're a sack of shit who deserves the worst humanity has to offer. Your human experience will end up in the worst possible way.

Just watch... it will happen to you.

Scumbag.

>Scumbag.

Can't you read, reprobate? The image was posted at random. There was no ulterior motive nor implied reason behind it.

Funny how you project your willingness for someone else to get cancer and mistake their intention for an action (posting an image). You're worse than scum. You're nothing to me. You're not worth spitting on.

Take your ass-pained little glory-hole, walk over to the front door of you homeless shelter and shoot yourself in the stomach, you fucking nigger. Choke on your own blood.

Jobs didn't deserve to go, but you do.

>didn't deserve to go

Jobs and all mactoddlers should be rounded up and gassed tbhfam.

of course it's unverifiable, but if history teaches us anything, it's the path we have taken is not just simply due to some crucial invention, decision or a key person, but largely because of the "spirit of the time", understood as the current state of the culture, or a zeitgeist if you prefer to call it that way.
There are many examples of that. One of the most commonly mentioned is steam engine. One could argue that the invention of steam engine brought the age of steam and industrial revolution to us, but actually, steam engines were known since the fucking ancient rome. It was't the engine itself that revolutionized the world, but how the way of thinking about it changed.
I think the same was with web. If there was no Jobs, NeXT, Berners-Lee, someone else would have done the same.

WEW LAD YOURE SO COOL XD WEW LAD YOURE SO COOL XD WEW LAD YOURE SO COOL XD

>^^

What did he mean by this

pic related, it's you

Sup Forums is the second Sup Forums now

you're both autistic retards

You're new here

Great post! I liked the part where you said something inflammatory in order to get a reaction out of other users.

>we wouldn't have the WWW today.

love this meme

why would they give him the award AFTER the internet turned into liquid shit?
maybe if they gave it to him in the late 90s or early 00s

>what is fidonet

>A version described as "a working deliverable", OpenXanadu, was made available on the WorldWide Web in 2014. It is called open because "you can see all the parts", but as of June 2014 the site stated that it was "not yet open source". On the site, the creators claim that Tim Berners-Lee stole their idea, and that the World Wide Web is a ″bizarre structure created by arbitrary initiatives of varied people and it has a terrible programming language″ and that Web security is a ″complex maze″. They go on to say that Hypertext is designed to be paper, and that the World Wide Web allows nothing more than dead links to other dead pages.[

Fuck Tim, Ted Nelson will have the last laugh, you guys will see.

yep. he's been showing off the same 30 year old demo of what has existed in any version control system for the past 20 years.

if you want to get specific, visually, google docs implemented his ideas years ago.

He made a shitty protocol, USA the greatest country in the world made TCP/IP with his protocol relies on.

This, the rest of the world is so envious of how america shaped the entire world that they try to undermine it at every opportunity It's just sad people can get this jealous of other amazing people.

Isn't the web essentially hypercard on steroids?

Implying there would be no computers if not Steve Jobs.
You must be retarded or something.

>How does that make you feel?
Indifferent, I adore the beauty and polish of NeXT hardware but I don't see how the NeXT environment truly "enabled" the concept of the web as we know it today, the development tools may have been nice but they were hardly integral.

>You can probably imagine a WWW based on Windows 2.0
Why is it that so many retards try to paint NeXT hardware as an alternative to PCs? That shit was in another league, and Berners-Lee would have more than likely realized his ideas on a Sun or DEC system instead had his employers not chosen a NeXT box.

This fallacy of "If wasn't X it would be another" has a name. Does anybody here know what's his name?

>The machine that Steve Jobs invented.
kys

I don't know, but there's a name for what you're trying at: the fallacy fallacy.

He's not necessarily wrong even if he's still a retarded anti-fanboy cock sucker overall. There were plenty of other high-end systems available that could have realized the concept just fine.

I'm not trying to disprove him. I always want to remember the name of this fallacy everytime that someone brings a similar argument.
Anyways, it's true that could be anyother machine.

I get you, wish I knew too, it's still a retarded counterpoint in a lot of cases.

I'm surprised he hasn't already received a Nobel Prize in Computer Science.

>america shaped the entire world
Which part of America? The US? The state colonized and led almost exclusively by Europeans?

Encontré al tercer mundista latinoamericano.