/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old Thread: Sup Forums's long trusted containment thread for stupid shit. If you see stupid shit cluttering the board, redirect it here.

Googling your question before asking it here is encouraged, but as the name suggests it's not required.

Don't bump your question, you're not entitled to an answer. Wait for the next thread if you have to.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/caike/jQuery-Simple-Timer
sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/
codepaste.net/wbbjqo
amazon.com/Nixeus-Adjustable-Portrait-100mmx100mm-75mmx75mm/dp/B01CHA4RYU/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Repostin
>github.com/caike/jQuery-Simple-Timer
>jquery.simple.timer.js

How would I go about to reset this timer dynamically? if I just call startTimer again, it creates a new object and cycles between those two countdown timers in the timer-div.

What kind of Sp/Mic connector is this?

I have had fucking enough. 3 fucking times I bought this mouse, and each time it magically breaks within weeks after the warranty expires. I really like Microsoft hardware for how comfy it is but fuck this shit that can't last 13 months.
tl;dr what wireless laptop mouse to buy that isn't made by Microsoft?

Just added my number to the national do not call list. How long until it takes effect? Or did I just get honeypot memed and added my number to a list that solicitors will use?

i've backed up my partition tables before fixing my other drive and i've messed the windows drive up in the process. i'm using:
sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

this is some info.
codepaste.net/wbbjqo

i only have this one usb that i'm livebooting from. how can i restore the partition tables? it won't let me navigate the windows drive for the backup even if i knew how to restore it. please help me :(

How do i know if i missed the DHL guy?
What kind of warning/mess age will it give in the tracker?

Anything made by logitech.

Also by the second time usually someone starts avoiding that product.

I have setup a static website which I have told no one about, yet I see a lot of weird GET requests in my log files.
Are these botnets looking for vulnerabilities? If so, how do I defend myself against them? Is keeping software up to date and never leaving passwords on default good enough?

I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU, Mobo, and getting an actual RAM kit. Any advice. Mostly doing high end gaming, photoshop work, CAD work, and some game streaming every now and then.

What movie is this

What are some active, open-source projects that a beginner could get involved in? I was hoping to get some experience.

I need some kind of an angle adapter for a VESA 75mm mount.

I have a couple of monitors mounted on Ergotron LX arms and they're absolutely fantastic, but they don't allow you to angle the monitor down more than 5 degrees.

I'm using a vertical arrangement and I'd like to be able to angle the top monitor down by an addition 10-15 degrees or so.

Is there some kind of angled adapter block I can buy that will go between the mounting plate and the monitor to let me accomplish this?

Pic related.

forgot pic of logs

I wouldn't even bother unless you're running into performance issues.

When you do upgrade just go for the 7700k and a z270 mobo. DDR4 ram to go with it, but I really don't know what you could be doing that 16gb isn't enough for you.

The other day I had Skyrim and Starsector running on different monitors, as well as discord / aquasuite / msi afterburner / boinc / foobar / waterfox all running at the same time and I still had a few free gigs of ram.

Any recommended Android apps for taking stealth photographs?

The things I'm interested in mostly are motherboard features that I'm missing out on. Things like DDR4 speeds, m.2, thunderbolt/C 3.1, all the fancy synced up rgb stuff. Really just the creature comforts.
The reason I have 32GB is just because I had gone through a number of PCs that that's just the amount that I had lying around.

Some of that stuff is nice, but I really don't think it's worth the cost of upgrading just for those features unless you plan on recycling the old components into a new system for some other use.

M.2 NVMe is great, I haven't even used my USB-C port yet. Synced RGB is definitely a personal thing.

You're probably better off waiting another generation or so, when you'll get a bigger measured performance improvement.

Im looking for a VESA stand to make my monitor vertical.
But all i can find are wallmounts and shit.

What is the name of what i am looking for?

What's the difference between an Ipad 2 and Ipad Air?

If you were to just use it for browsing and stuff, what would it be better? Ipad 2?

Like this?? Ergotron LX Dual Stacking Arm.

is there a way to modify the soft-keys (back, home, drawer) in android? I have a rooted device of course.

Is Windows 10 still measuring storage space in MB?

No, something like:
Or:

But they're too expensive, im looking for something really simple just to replace a broken monitor stand.

who got the get?

microsoft's never gonna switch

Why tho my dear Anoynmous

They dont care, and they dont want to answer questions about why shit looks different all of a sudden

But my 500GB HDD only have 465GB available wtf Microsoft

why do people use tmux AND a tiling windowmanager?

I am trying to install windows 10 from a USB. When I try to put the iso on my 16gb flash drive, it's saying it's too large. Keep in mind this file is only 6gb. Am I doing something incorrectly?

ok srsly should I anticipate a loss in performance in using the Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD connected to the Hyper kit for PCIe 3.0 instead of having a motherboard with a native NVMe M.2 PCIe slot

Yes. First, windows shouldn't be 6 gigabytes. Second, you can't just drag and drop that shit, use rufus. Third, if you're using fat32 for your flashdrives, consider NTFS

use the official MS usb maker if you're not already

if all you have is an iso then use rufus.

i highly doubt it.

I appreciate your help, sorry for sounding like an idiot. What would you advice me to do if my only pc is not working? Should I go get the USB done somewhere? I can't get Rufus on my pc as it's not installing the OS correct and that's why I'm booting from USB.

How would Sup Forums suggest I set up a DMZ

The shining

Are you a Kim? If yes, kill your way to leading Best Korea. If not, South Korea has an opening, so I hear.

Use a pi with gbps networking. It's a hardware firewall you don't need much.

Someone can tell me the difference between a proxy and a vpn? also which is a good vpn? i don't know shit about these things. Any helpful resource where i can get useful informations?

Not him but yes, you need a computer to use rufus.

Don't listen these faggots, format your USB to NTFS and drag and drop all the iso content inside it. Worked for me many times when I had 7

Then start the timer with:

$('.timer').startTimer();

Then reset the timer with:

$('.timer').resetTimer();

>3 fucking times
People with a brain would learn after 2.

looks like they're crawling through websites to register posting bots.

if it have semi-sophisticated firewall you can geolocate their ip and ban everyone from china or russia or wherever they're coming from.

These are probably both attackers and search engine bots. Generally yes, keep your software up to date and don't keep default passwords. That doesn't really apply for software packages that are no longer maintained though...

Pretty sure there's documentation on the same site where you signed up, but I personally haven't found it to be super-effective. That said, at least it gives you the ability to threaten them with the FCC do-not-call list fines or whatever.

This is too vague. Computers can be used for pretty much everything. Is your only interest programming? I'd say most of your 'easier' projects are going to be projects that focus on something other than programming. The more niche the application, the better chances the code will be easy to improve. (eg. a insect-migration tracking software for written for BeOS).

Unless you go used, you're not going to save any significant amount of money going with the 4000-series CPU instead of the 7000 series. Intel almost never drops prices on older models.

>make my monitor vertical
>name of
Portrait orientation, or 'rotation'.

Should be identical performance. What gave you the idea there would be a loss?

Conceptually:
Proxy doesn't encrypt your traffic, it only relays it - so the site you connect to doesn't know who you are, but your ISP and other entities along the connection chain still may be able to monitor everything. VPN encrypts your traffic to the VPN provider, but traffic between that VPN provider site and whatever place you connect out to on the Internet isn't necessarily encrypted. I can't really comment on what providers are good. I don't use one.

Bought cheap laptop from ebay
Has Windows XP on a 160GB drive
Tried to boot a Mint LIVE USB, Decompile and Disassembly bullshit
No settings in BIOS to let me boot via USB FDD
Want to upgrade the HDD to an SSD
Do you guys think it will it let me install Windows through a USB flash drive?

Fucking acer POS

Wait, so you can boot to USB flash drive, but not to USB floppy disk? Seems extremely strange. Mint is bullshit. Try booting to a stock Ubuntu LTS image.

>Acer BIOS
To this day they still suck, and hard.
Boot from a CD/DVD.

Also are you trying to boot from a x64 OS while your CPU is x32?

You misunderstood the post, the picture is what I'm currently running. I was asking for upgrade solutions from that as the current pc. But, I won't be upgrading quite yet, as solved earlier.

I tried with x86 Serena, it's what i installed to an ideapad and eeeeeeeePC.

It's an Atom, so I didnt even bother with x64.

Suppose I'll have to borrow an external CD drive from work and do it that way.

How old is the laptop? Sounds like it was made before booting from usb was really a thing.

It actually *attempts* to load from USB, it's on BIOS settings to make it primary boot device even, but every time it *attempts* to load, it gives me some BS about how "decompilation or disassembly is prohibited"

Im about to start building My PC, anything i should know to avoid problems?

seat as much as you can while the motherboard is out of the case

mostly building thesedays is plug and play so no sweat.

Oh okay. I wouldn't upgrade that, other than an upgrade to Ubuntu.

dont build on carpet
make sure to have ample lighting
read the instructions carefully (do you still have to fiddle with jumper settings on MB's these days?)
make sure you have a way to access the internet while building
take your time

Install your CPU, RAM, and CPU heatsink and connect your power supply and start it up to make sure everything works before you go to the effort of putting anything in the case. Also, don't try to power it on when it's sitting on top of that anti-static bag.

what's better for cpu
a celeron or atom

Nope, this came with the motherboard so i dont have to deal with f_panel cables.

Good thing you told me that since i was considering it.

>Uncaught TypeError: $(...).resetTimer is not a function
thought that too

How longe does it takes to learn python for back endereço development?

Fan should go like this right?

Found a Huebro

However you like. I'd personally try to align it so the cable is set up in such a way that it connects with no extra slack. If you had a big cooler you'd need to worry about how it lines up with the airflow and obstacles in your case. This small cooler should be no prob in pretty much any orientation.

How do I configure my Netgear GS108Tv2 for gaming, like qos and stuff or whatever?

Am i supposed to remove the i/o shield things?

how do i make a bootalbe usb with win10 on it from linux

python has some weird ""optional"" styling, so it depends on who's code reviewing you, if they're a stickler for the styleguide, PEP or whatever it's called

Like you can do loops a procedural/C-like way, or you can do it the "python" way. weird stuff like that sticklers will lambast.

if it's just for your personal project, not long at all if you already know a few other languages.

replace it with what came with your motherboard.

Torrents I've downloaded since I booted my PC today are showing up as not connectable on their respective trackers, but all of the torrents in my client (qbittorrent) that were in it when I booted it up are fine.

The reason given is connection time out, but idk what the fuck to do. How do I make them all connectable?

That is the one that came with my motherboard.

oh you mean the clips? you dont have to remove them

additionally, canyouseeme.org can't see me on their port checker, but I'm still open on all those torrents I had from my last session. Anyone know wtf is going on?

use winusb
search your package manager or use the one on git.

Just push them so the motherboard fits right?

yeah slide the motherboard in place against it, then screen the mobo down.

Yes. Make absolutely certain those metal things are not inside the ports before you screw your motherboard in. They should be resting on the top of the ports.

HTC 10 just updated to nougat and now it wakes when I hit the fingerprint sensor even though the box is unchecked. Is there a way to fix this or an app to override?

So I'm curious

Why does pretty much all FOSS have functional, but however shitty overall UI design / UX? There are no examples I can think of that actually nail this, but so many that don't, like Notepad++, Audacity, KMeleon, qBittorrent, LibreOffice... And the list goes on and on and on, while proprietary software, such as the Adobe suite, MS Office, iOS...

a lot of foss is "designed" by committee

or it's made by some programmer neckbeard with 0 class.

ethertnet

What's a good e-book reader for Windows?

Seriously you're using MS Office as an example of good UI design? The ribbon is shit. I use it everyday. It's never on the correct tab when I need it, and keyboard shortcut discoverability is terrible, even when there happens to be a shortcut for a given operation.

I'd use LibreOffice over MS Office 100% of the time, if I could be sure files were going to render the same. As it is, I often use LibreOffice side-by-side with MS Office for various tasks it just does better.

>Motherboard only has USB 3.0
>Go to install Windows 7 via USB 2.0 optical drive
>Windows 7 installer can't apparently see the fucking drive it just loaded from because it does not have USB 3.0 and doesnt read it from the BIOS anymore
>No means of turning 3.0 to 2.0 in the BIOS
>The only way to get past this is apparently putting USB 3.0 drivers in a flash drive with a windows 7 installer
>I have no flash drive, as I've not had to move files around physically in years
>Sprained ankle, can't walk long distances
>Car is busted

Is there a way I can solve this problem because the easy solution seems to be killing myself in shame

Can I use my smartphone to install windows 7?

Use MSI Windows 7 Smart tools.
Not MSI? use it anwyay.

Amazon yourself a flash drive

Not only that, but the UI of the various MS Office apps is totally inconsistent from one application to the next. Guess what Ctrl+F does in Outlook... and how about the Backspace key when a message in the message list is selected...

Unlock the bootloader of your phone, throw a custom rom on it (easiest bet; lineageOS, although ResurrectionRemix, and others have more features) then go to settings>audio/sound and disable camera shutter noise, it only works with the stock camera though.

If your phone is some obscure chinese brand or a samcuck without third party support check on fdroid for another camera and fuck around with the settings, you won't find a silent camera on playstore because it's against the law.

Are you perhaps a middle aged japanese man taking upskirt shots of 10 year old girls?

Is there any places that i can learn c++ that arent so confusing and convoluted? All the books ive been reading dont seem to give a purpose of the definitions.

that may be bad ux but the ui is just plain simple and pretty straightforward, but true, it is quite bad... I was thinking more UI than UX when giving those examples. Ribbon sucks, but LibreOffice looks like crap

Should i bother with cable management now or should i check it boots first?

Twitch support helped me fix my computer by pouring salt on the hard drive and buttering it up, but now I can't start it. Where else should I ask for help? Was the salt not iodized enough?

hmm. looks fine except that fan wire. use the built-in clips around the plastic shroud of the fan to route it in a circle around the fan as much as possible.

I fucked up, it doesn't reach it since the Mosfet heatsink is in the way.

And i dont have any thermal paste to remove the heatsink.

I never fully mastered the old UI, so when Office 2007 came out, I thought it was a godsend. Kinda surprised to see so many people hate it.