BLU RAY

what will replace blu-ray?

what's the most promising technology so far?

pic unrelated

Been wondering this. BluRay is really not much of an advance over dvd. We need high capacity storage. Cloud and hard disks isn't doing it. Need to invent something radical.

We already have something radical

Always on DRM nutflix.

put movies and shit on sd cards

>what will replace blu-ray?
Low quality streaming services.

Why can't we just switch to flash storage like sd cards?

Literally fuck this.

>cheap 25/50GB discs
>verbatim ones are said to last over 100 years if stored properly
Dam, I can't think of any.

BD discs are cheap to manufacture. Flash storage needs to be binned, and the cells degrade over time. Optical media lasts longer than flash storage and always will due to the nature of flash storage.

cloud and gigabit internet

Apparently Crystals can store alot of data

Hologram disc when? BD is quite small to store lossless video. (30bit * 3840 * 2160 * 60frames = 1.8GB/s)

How is cloud not doing it?

No physical volume to worry about
5 9s uptime
Unlimited storage
Co-location/Disaster Recovery
100mbps interbuttz or better becoming more prevalent/affordable
By the time we hit Blu-ray bottleneck cloud will be comfy.

I have my media/data HDDs sync to Amazon cloud and I've never had a problem. Granted I only have 12mbps up atm but my content intake is fairly automated. Plus as more people subscribe to cloud the greater demand will be for decent duplex and fiber.

The war was won when cloud services start providing X many gb for free. Who else does that? Crack dealers.

Shut up and smoke your crack.

Comcast data limits killed cloud storage. 1 terabyte dl limit goes quick when you use cloud storage as your primary.

Blu-ray is way better than dvd, wtf are you talking about?

Archival Disc.

Again. Market pressure against these providers will make them cave eventually. Comcast is hardly the shining example of an ISP.

>what will replace blu-ray?
Nothing so far. Nobody really wants to spend the R&D to advance physical media anymore. Sony made some good progress with holographic storage, but never got it out of the lab.

Content publishers are moving away from anything physical so they can have more control by putting everything behind DRM and encryption.

>Market pressure
What pressure? US ISPs an pretty much flip off anyone and everyone but the politicians they buy out. Even Google buckled in the face of the political stonewalling when it attempted its last roll-out.

blurays are capable of terrabytes of storage, they're going to milk this shit for as long as they can.
just look at how hard they've been milking the market with sd cards.

>be me, it staff of a stingy small business
>Everyone took me for a nutjob when I made backups in optical media. as an additional mesure. Management told that IT budget for optical media would be reduced or eliminated totally in the next fiscal year.
>Suddenly intense rain for days
>Shit got flooded, many computers wasted, no internet access for days as ISP infraestructure got rekt.
>Management running like headless chickens, payroll is near.
>well, you know, we actually have several years of accounting data available as we have backups on the so-called USELESS backup alternative.
>[Internal smugging intensifies]

Yeah yeah, 3 backups, 2 different media, 1 offsite is the golden rule, but in reality small business owners see things differently. In this particular instance, they learnt the hard way that business continuity measures are not a "nice-to-have" investment.

TL; DR: Optical media save asses, having more backup options is better for everybody.

This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen on this board. There is hardly any competition in the vast majority of Cheeseburgerland. It's not just "Big Cable"; potential ISPs have to get the green light from a utility company and/or local governments to run their cables in conduits/on power poles.

sd cards and other high capacity cartridges.

>replace blu-ray
digital downloads and streaming, obviously. Is everyone really too stupid to see this for themselves?

SD cards? I don't know. Once you can get 128gb on something the size of a quarter things will be great.

Skateboarding has been dead for over a decade and it makes me sad.

For the forseeable future nothing. BD's only exist to be ripped to digital form anyways. Optical media is dead.

>optical media
>gigantic fucking disc that you have to gingerly take care of to prevent scratches
>needs a loud spinning machine to read it and takes time to load data
>only like 50GB max

>flash storage
>256GB in a microSD card the size of your fucking pinky
>literally everything that wasn't made by Apple can read it by default
>blazing fast to read and write

Optical media are you even trying?

Literally that is the future.

>optical media
>only like 50GB max
educate yourself faggot

Also, to all those shilling the cloud for movie streaming, go and kys. I have a proper home cinema and I won't switch to cloud untill they start streaming BD remuxes

Streaming sites with horrible video/audio quality and drm.

>implying blur-ray replaced something.

You can still find people skateboarding over here, but hipsters took over it.