Language Learning General

Haven't seen one of these in while
Discuss anything language learning related

>what languages do you know?
>what language are you learning?
>how much do you know in that language?
>how long have you been learning it?
>what languages do you want to learn?
>any tips or resources for that language, or language learning in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H_AhReQDqcU
youtube.com/watch?v=c8HcOE45FEw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

Hungarian, English. Bit of German and French.
Spanish!
Not much tbqh. I find it difficult to get in the right mindset. Also, whenever I try to speak I constantly mistake French words for Spanish ones ,and shit gets mixed up into this horrid nonexistant language called Franish.
3 months tops.
Nothing else. Even this is more trouble than it's worth. Fucking foreigners should just learn English goddamn it.
Switch your OS, browser to your preferred language. Find a few decent books. Howl in frustration. Procrastinate. Eventually cave in and learn a bit. Hate your life. Give up. Start learning another language. Rinse and repeat.

german, english
japanese, french
with french, reading is okay, but understanding the spoken language wnot that good
with japanese it's rather hard to say, I'm on some middle level I guess, it really fluctuates from understanding a lot to understanding nothing
japanese, 5 years
french, 2 maybe
It's mostly just a hobby so don't judge me
maybe italian or russian some time in the future
learn it as you please and at your own pace, if you don't have fun you won't be learning for too long

oh, why do you learn spanish?
>Also, whenever I try to speak I constantly mistake French words for Spanish ones
kek I hate this feel
what motivates you to learn?

what troubles you the most with japanese? the way they speak? kanji?

>learn it as you please and at your own pace, if you don't have fun you won't be learning for too long
this is good advice I think
iirc, if you aren't having fun or at least "needing" to study it then you wont remember much either

>>what languages do you know?
Serbo-Croatian, English and Spanish

French

Very "introductory"

Around 20 days

Every language

Flashcards, flashcards and more flashcards. Pick the "funniest" podcast/audiobook possible, because you're more likely to remember a good deal of vocabulary if you also focus on the silly way or a speech impediment the narrator has. We're built of ridicule. Mimic. I can't stress this enough. Memrise/Duolingo are good for mimicking and ridicule, because the former has people recording it (bound to be repetitive and really crawl into your ear by sheer hypnotism) and the latter has the "Google translate" sounds (real hypnotic experience). If you're a beginner: mimic the native/narrator. Smash words up into syllables when you're learning vocabulary. The books you read also have this (in other scripts, Romanized versions have something like this: "Em-ma is drin-king wa-ter"). It's not for style. It's there for a reason. Conversational above bookish. Easy on the grammar in the beginning (unless you're really into it)

>what troubles you the most with japanese? the way they speak? kanji?
kanji are a bitch obviously, but also pretty interesting once you know them to some degree, for example you may know what the word is supposed to mean but don't know how it's pronounced
the kanji carry meaning on their own which gives the (written) language more depth

troublesome is that almost none of the original japanese words ressemble anything you know and sometimes literally are the same and only differ through their kanji spelling
with french it's not really hard to memorize words because most of the time they look like the english or german version

it's also hard that the japanese often leave out the subject of their sentences if it's clear from the context, which makes it hard to follow

English and Mandarin.
Ruskie.
Not a lot, I can read cyrillic but my vocab is still very limited.
A few weeks.
Spanish, and maybe Cantonese because a lot of people speak it here.
Tip for learning Mandarin: Tones matter more than you think they do. Too many Mandarin learners disregard the tones and then sound like retards when they try to speak.
Tip for learning any language: Use pictorial flashcards rather than just putting the English translation, it helps a lot with memorizing vocab.

you are around C1/C2 in spanish do you think? what made you learn that?

my only problem with doing flashcards is it becomes a hassle to type in all the flashcards and then study them, as it becomes a bit boring
haven't done memrise but I think duolingo is great for starting out as well

can you help me about the podcasts? whenever I used to watch podcasts in whatever language I was doing, nothing really came to me and I still never understood what was being said and did not really pick anything up
do you need to know mostly what they are saying before watching so you can just pick up the individual words you don't understand?

>the kanji carry meaning on their own which gives the (written) language more depth
how so? are they made up with other "characters" so to speak that help reveal meaning? I don't know anything about it

kudos for sticking with it for 5 years!

what made you decide to learn mandarin? that's quite interesting that you did and to such a level
how long did it take you to get where you are?

>Ruskie.
you're in luck because I think russian is very fun
probably mostly because of memes and songs

Does anyone have any tips concerning how to go about learning cases? I am starting to learn finnish and the cases seem like hell to learn.

good thing about cases is for the most part they are very regular and it gets easier to guess the cases
usually the only ones you have to learn every time are partitive case and genitive I think

don't really have much better tips than just pure memorization, but at least it gets easier (and not at the same time lel)

>how so? are they made up with other "characters" so to speak that help reveal meaning? I don't know anything about it

for example you have 殺 (kill) + 人 (person) = 殺人 --> satsujin (murder)
or you have 暗 (dark) + 殺 (kill) = 暗殺 --> ansatsu (assassination)

My elementary school taught Mandarin, so I've been learning it for 14 years. It's a very difficult language (especially the writing system lmao, I still have serious trouble reading Chinese newspapers and stuff), but totally worth it in the end.

>oh, why do you learn spanish? what motivates you to learn?
I kinda wanna move to Spain.
- people have a live and let live attitude there
- most LGBT accepting country on Earth
- lax drug laws ie: growing some marijuana is accepted. Not that I ever used drugs or anything. But I like the option that I COULD if I wanted to.
- Nice culture and rich history, good foods
- the language sounds nice I guess
- the people seem really cool, and have ideals I sympathise with. (left leaning political opinions, borderning on communism and anarchism)
- small muslim population compared to other Western European countries

The negatives:
- I kinda like Italian and French cultures and languages more. But Italians are really bigoted, and the French aren't accepting enough to my standards, hence I'm forced to learn Spanish, since I'd have a better life there.
- Sudacas
- Spain is a literal desert with few trees except the north. It'll be my death
- Hookup culture I really dislike
- Also Spanish men are kinda...short.

ah yes this is what I was thinking
thank you

damn, they taught it in elementary? that's probably the best way for schools to start

good luck to you and your spanish dream :D
if you will move there you will for sure pick it up quickly if you already know some

[spoiler] sudacas are cool too desu [/spoiler]

I'm B1 in Spanish, after two and a half months of consistent learning and a month of just playing around by listening to songs (Youtube channels with Spanish hosts, Latin American music and Memrise)

>my only problem with doing flashcards is it becomes a hassle to type in all the flashcards and then study them, as it becomes a bit boring
haven't done memrise
Have you tried Anki?

>can you help me about the podcasts? whenever I used to watch podcasts in whatever language I was doing, nothing really came to me and I still never understood what was being said and did not really pick anything up
do you need to know mostly what they are saying before watching so you can just pick up the individual words you don't understand?
Of course, you need to learn a thing or two. This is why you pick language learning podcasts first, and then podcasts in a specific language. The difference is, the first one teaches you, the second just develops your skills and "acclimates" you to the language. Don't jump straight into a specific language podcast. Start with those "Xlanguage101" type of podcasts. However, if you're studying a language close to your, it might be fun to delve into the second option. That way, you "feel" the language for connections, shared vocabulary, rhythm. If you're a CHI(cano), for example, and want to learn French or Italian, the second option is good, if you're more "adventurous" and appreciate the "a-ha" moments. These "a-ha" moments are in turn memorable. Make you remember things easily

Threshold for starting to listen to independent podcasts (not language learning ones, that is) would be knowing: introducing yourself, situational awareness type of sentences, time/days/months, colours, basic questions and the most necessary vocabulary coupled with the most necessary verbs (such as: to be, to see, to eat, to feel, to hear, to know - the "pillar" verbs of most languages). Arrange these verbs with the above list and you'll have sentences in no time

B1? not too bad for about three and a half months

>Have you tried Anki?
yes but the manual input (though probably important) bothers me

>This is why you pick language learning podcasts first, and then podcasts in a specific language
I think this is where I made mistakes
I would learn some online then just try to listen to podcasts that I didn't even know what they were about in the first place
thanks

what is your opinion on grabbing one of those most frequently used words lists and learning those first?

english greek
dutch french
wanna learn danish so I can speak without anyone understanding

Thanks user.

Well as for Sudacas, I don't know. I'm not racist or anything, but you know what their countries look like. Pretty crime ridden, that's not to say anything about their murder rates. I'm not entirely sure how well they integrate into Spanish society, whether they bring that culture with them. Hence I'm kinda worried about them. Who knows, maybe I'm just overly careful.

what levels are you in greek and french? why did you learn them?

yeah, maybe the majority is like that after all
I've talked to a few for a few years now that I met from Sup Forums and they are top lads and quite smart too

>what is your opinion on grabbing one of those most frequently used words lists and learning those first?
It integrates well into what I recommended above. You'll notice that whatever "Most frequent words in X language" you find, they'll be inevitably tied to the "pillar" verbs above. Draw a 100-200 common nouns list, pair them with the above every day verbs, expand by adding the following formula

>1st step:
Noun

>2nd step:
Adjective that can go with the list of nouns you have (core adjectives like colours, basic human virtues (good/bad/strong/weak...), longevity/brevity)

>3rd step:
Noun + Adjective (or whatever order, respecting the language's word order) - works on the inflexion

>4th step:
Noun + Adjective + Verb

>5th step:
Learn how to conjugate the specific verb while watching the inflexion of the noun and adjective(singular/plural and such)

>6th step
Noun + Adjective + Verb (+ Time) - practice

>7th step
Noun + Verb (+) (Time + Place)

Might seem tedious, soldierly written like this, but it's a good pattern that really works on encouraging you to continue acquiring vocabulary. Instead of throwing a bunch of "pre-cooked" phrases and saying "Here, learn these". They're not the sentences you "created"

Well, fingers crossed then. I'll give them a chance.

know: russian (native), english (pre-intermediate)
learning: french (actually not,but I want to), polish (can write something in it, sometimes even without vocabularly, can understand their songs - if I will read translate the next listening will be like in russian)

might have to screencap this post
thanks m8

did you study any polish? or do you just translate because it is similar to russian?

At first I was listening a lot of polish hip-hop.

Also I read a guide + watched videos.

But I don't even remember congulation of verbs, I use services fot his.

But, for example, I understand 90-100% of what he sings, because I read translate.

youtube.com/watch?v=H_AhReQDqcU

Polish is very achaical and more brutal Russian.

very interesting
nice song too lel

C2-B2, interest really thats the only thing that matters in languages, dont want to go to move to france ever, maybe french speaking switzerland

how long did you study either one? I am impressed

Ni todos paises que tienen "crimen" estan malos, si sabes lo que quiero decir. Tal vez sea verdad que los criminales en LatAm parecen mas "salvajes" en sus esfuerzos a diferencia de criminales europeos, pero siempre puedes escoger vivir en una ciudad/zona segura. A fin de cuentas, eres un europeo y tu poder adquisitivo es mucho mas grande que suyos

Then the Croatian variant of the Serbo-Croatian is brutal Polish of the brutal Russian, because we take archaic forms, word orders and internationalisms purge onto a whole new level

English
Arabic
I can read about 60% of a newspaper. Colloquial Arabic is a pain in the ass.
On and off for a few years.
French, Latin, and Old Norse
Learn colloquial Arabic in addition to Modern Standard Arabic. Also, if anyone from Damascus wants to help, plz respond.

>Switch your OS, browser to your preferred language. Find a few decent books. Howl in frustration. Procrastinate. Eventually cave in and learn a bit. Hate your life. Give up. Start learning another language. Rinse and repeat.
This really hit home.

>What languages do you know?
Portuguese (native), English (fluent), and Swedish (intermediate)

>What language are you learning?
Japanese

>How much do you know in that language?
I don't know a lot of kanji yet, so I find it really hard to read anything serious (like newspapers or games), but I can read Yotsubato! and some doujins almost effortlessly.

>How long have you been learning it?
6 months

>What languages do you want to learn?
After learning Japanese to a decent level, I'll probably go for something easier like Italian or German.
I really enjoy learning languages and I'd like to become fluent in at least 5 languages.

>Any tips or resources for that language, or language learning in general?
Definitely check /DJT/, on Sup Forums. They have a lot of cool resources, but the most useful ones are the Anki decks for kanji (grinding is a pain in the ass, but oh well) and Tae Kim's Grammar Guide.
Watch anime or variety shows or whatever the fuck you enjoy and read visual novels and mangas or books.
Also, if you're not as autistic as I am, try to strike up a conversation with someone on HelloTalk.

I only count English despite some knowledge of others.

I'm thinking of learning for some other one/s. A poo-in-loo language or Arabic would probably be useful here because """"diversity"""". I'm not picking up Somali or one of the African languages they speak here, though.

what makes you learn arabic?

you know enough to ready yotsubato? not bad man
japanese definitely has the advantage that there is much more media to work with

how much swedish can you understand? enough to read books? watch movies?

how much would you need to know to say you "speak it"? for me I think mid to high B2 at the very least

I have no idea, actually. I can hold a conversation for hours, and I have done, in sign language. I used to go to the pub with my sign language teacher and his mates -- all of whom were deaf.

And yet when I see someone else signing not at me, I can't follow it as well. It seems to be a weak point of mine.

It's the same with other languages.

French, Dutch & English.
Swedish & French (can't learn enough of French, there's always something to learn)
Just the basics. But the Internet and sverigetråden helps me a lot.
3days.
Norwegian and an Asian language, preferably Chinese, but everybody's disuading me, so probably Korean or Japanese.

>how much swedish can you understand? enough to read books? watch movies?
Yeah, I've watched some of Ingmar Bergman's movies and I was able to understand most of them. I've never tried reading anything besides Sverigetråden and newspapers, but these are pretty easy to read, in my opinion.
Honestly, Swedish grammar is ridiculously simple. I just need to expand my vocabulary but I'm too lazy and too busy with Japanese to do it right now.

I fucked up my trips by forgetting to say I also want to learn Latin.
But that's not as important.

>And yet when I see someone else signing not at me, I can't follow it as well. It seems to be a weak point of mine.
I wonder why this happens
I never heard of this before

I'm guessing you're a dutchman that moved to france?

are they receptive of swedish learners in sverigetråden?

if you need some inspiration there was this guy on Sup Forums that said he managed to be "fluent" in swedish in about a year which is pretty good

how long did it take you to get to that level? how did you go about it?

I agree that you should focus on one language at a time
I really don't know how people study more than one together

anyone remember a long time ago there were serious discussions about making an Sup Forums lingua franca? with polls and everything

that would have been cool

Russian, Ukrainian, Tarashkevitsa, English, French and Polish.
German.
>how much do you know in that language?Nothing.
2 weeks.
Dutch, Spanish, Chechen.
It's not necessary in Russian to say CYKA BLYAT' after every phrase.

French, English, some German.

Swedish like . Using Duolingo and Assimil.

Just the basics. But I have the feeling I'm learning fast.
On and off for two years. Seriously (everyday) for two months.

>polish hip-hop
Grupa Operacyjna чтo ли?

that's an impressive amount of languages? do you speak them all well?

>It's not necessary in Russian to say CYKA BLYAT' after every phrase.
kek you're right, but it's still fun

how far down the tree are you? I am wondering to what level duolingo can get someone
I hear early B1
I'd recommend supplementing duolingo with other resources as well
don't know so much about assimil though

English
Mandarin
I can only read some simple sentences. I can speak a few simple sentences. I can get the gist of someone speaking slowly. I can't write
8(ish) months. Probably closer to 7 if I take into account Christmas and Easter breaks
Realistically I would like to learn Spanish, German, French, Russian or Arabic.
If you have been studying Chinese for any length of time, you already know about Pleco. If you are considering studying Chinese, download Pleco on your phone.

>how long did it take you to get to that level?
About 3 months of studying and practicing all day every day. Then I decided to take and break from Swedish and started studying Japanese.

>how did you go about it?
I started on Duolingo. After finishing the skill tree, I moved on to reading newspapers, watching movies (even though there aren't many in Swedish), listening to music, and chatting with natives on Sverigetråden or HelloTalk.

>I really don't know how people study more than one together
It's not that hard if the languages are not too similar.
For example, it might be easily doable if you're learning Japanese and Spanish, but learning Spanish and Portuguese at the same time will probably be hell.

Spanish and English
German
>>how much do you know in that language?
Very basic level, not enough to communicate efectively on a conversation but can understand most of what /deutsch/ says
Six months, by myself.
French, italian and then something not indoeu-related, like russian or chinese.
Knowing english helps a lot in my opinion. Also cases in german are a pain in the ass and I think the only way to learn them is by repetition and practice instead of memorize.

nope grew up bilingual.
Well, you could say I was a Dutchman until I was 3 year old. Then I started to speak more French than Dutch (only spoke Dutch at home with my mom).
I'm more fluent in French than Dutch, yet I still love to learn more French. Actually the more I learn other languages, the more I want to deepen my knowledge in French.

>are they receptive of swedish learners in sverigetråden?
Until now, yes.
I had some funny conversations.
It's just a pain for them I guess, since I take a very long time to reply.
Also, they're very very lewd.

>if you need some inspiration there was this guy on Sup Forums that said he managed to be "fluent" in swedish in about a year which is pretty good
for the moment, I'm just focusing on mastering what I already know. Like doing the "strengthen my skills" on duolingo, just avoiding mistakes, and reducing the time I spend thinking.

Je connais ce sentiment, bror

>Tones matter more than you think they do
Yup. My lecturer always comments on how well I pronounce my tones and she is always telling other people to remember to pronounce their tones

>do you speak them all well?
I can't speak French well. It's impossible for me to produce burry sounds.
P.S. CYKA BLYAT'.

>CYKA BLYAT'
SUKA*

I'm learning German but I may have to rethink it. Germans are pretty anti American.

English and Spanish
None
n/a
n/a
Italian
If you can't learn English you're retarded or not trying at all

*CУКA

Cap says that it's not a Latin letters

All of Europe's pretty Anti-American, desu.
But until now, I do not know any story of an exchange student that died.

take a break*

yep.

Guys, how to speak with the English accent?

i dont think it's possible if you are russian unless you learn from very young or have a rare talent

our sounds are too different

Just put some food in your mouth and start speaking trying to sound as pretentious as you can :^)

Listen to a lot of TV and Radio broadcasts in English

Are you after any particular accent?

good luck man, mandarin seems pretty tough

>About 3 months of studying and practicing all day every day
ebin
I want to do norwegian I think so I can watch norwegian movies with my gf (who isn't even norwegian either)

>I started on Duolingo. After finishing the skill tree, I moved on to reading newspapers, watching movies (even though there aren't many in Swedish), listening to music, and chatting with natives on Sverigetråden or HelloTalk.
how well could you read newspapers after duolingo?

>but can understand most of what /deutsch/ says
kek, what more would you need :D

you're lucky, I wish I grew up bilingual as well
I can imagine it would get frustrating for them because well one, shitposters about the politics, and two, the mass amount of people always learning

have you seen pelle svanslös? classic

even so, that is really impressive

I wouldn't give up, especially if you've been learning a while

CHI
why not learn italian if you want to?

best advice I can give is to watch english shows or movies or listen to radio and repeat after them

>CHI
im serously not chi, i started spanish in 7th grade and took it through uni

>why not learn italian?
im 25 and have a full time job, free time is getting limited. also laziness.

>shitposters about the politics
surprisingly, it's not the case.
At least the few times I went there. Apart from a couple guys of /balt/ that post their threadly >Ethnic swedes, they're ignored and that's all.
I haven't seen any other flag than the ones of Sweden and Finland, most of the time.

>Polish is very achaical and more brutal Russian.
unfortunately you are so right. Russian is much easier to learn

>mandarin seems pretty tough
You know what, it's not as hard as I thought it would be, but it's also harder than I thought it would be

Speaking is a bit easier than I thought it would be, but the characters are HARD. I have a hard time reading (but I think I've improved a bit recently) and I really struggle to write at all

For virtually all of my writing tasks, I've had to type it out on a computer and then copy from the screen.

I don't have any accent, but I can do faky Russian accent.
I listening to Sleaford Mods, they're my source of impression. "Fockin' bustard, cynt, maite", yo know.

For me, Polish easier than French.

German and English
>>what language are you learning for
French and korean
>>how much do you know in that language?
mostly nothing
>>how long have you been learning it?
French for two weeks I guess
>>what languages do you want to learn?
all of em but I'm not really built for learning languages

just messing with you
why did you stick with it in uni?
I wish I payed more attention in school =\

maybe try duolingo or something for a little bit when you get home and try to read italian news or books or listen to podcasts on your break

that's surprising
/balt/ shitposters are persistent for sure

that's ironic because I hear the tones are one of the hardest parts

>For virtually all of my writing tasks, I've had to type it out on a computer and then copy from the screen.
lel this I can imagine

>I want to do norwegian I think so I can watch norwegian movies with my gf (who isn't even norwegian either)
Norwegian is really pretty desu. However, there are some problems that come with trying to learn it, like the fact that Bokmål is not a spoken language but merely a written one and that there are dozens of different dialects in Norway, of which not all are mutually intelligible.
Also, there are 3 grammatical genders in Norwegian, while in Swedish there are only 2.
Please don't take this in a bad way. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything. I'm just pointing out the "obstacles" that you might face.

>how well could you read newspapers after duolingo?
Well, I won't lie to you. I didn't really know all the words that came up, but I could definitely tell what the text was about by the time I finished reading it.

>kek, what more would you need :D

Spoken deutsch is pretty difficult to understand for me.

Also it's relatively easy to understand /deutsch/ if you have the context of what they are talking about, even if if you don't understand some words.

>why did you stick with it in uni?
i wasn't sure what i was going to do initially so i just spent 3 credits every semester in spanish

>maybe try duolingo or something for a little bit when you get home and try to read italian news or books or listen to podcasts on your break
yea, yea, i should, right now even. but i am lazy.

yea tones can be a bit of a pain. If I'm being super lazy when I record a speaking task I'll put little effort into my tones and my lecture points it out in her feedback. Most of the time my tones are just OK though.

well, thats for sure. Its slav lang. It took me about 3 years to learn russian and even quite easy english was a pain in my ass for 5 years. If it wasnt for cyrylica russian would be the easiest lang out of slav group.

>French and korean
How have you been doing with korean? I have been trying to learn it for about a year but with pitiful results.

I'm a special snowflake or self-absorbed I guess

Arabic, English, and Spanish
I'm 'fine-tuning' my Spanish skills as of yet, because I am not 110% fluent.
English is almost perfect
Arabic and Spanish are good to hold conversation (but I can't read/write Arabic, though)
Been learning Spanish for nearly 2 years, Arabic for a bit more
After I'm done with Spanish, I figure learning another romance language would be the logical next step. But I think beyond that spectrum, I'd like to learn another European language like Russian, Dutch, or German.
Watch movies in that language. Traditional classroom settings can only go so far, and a lot of the times, they'll give you an unnatural/outdated vernacular. Always diversify your resources when learning anything.

German, English, un poco Español
Spanish
I completed level B2 in a language school but I can't speak and really understand on that level. Now I'm here in Barcelona for a few months and I haven't really made any improvements. I'm going to continue school tomorrow.
2 months
French
you have to go to a country where the language is spoken you're learning for a while, or at least have a buddy who speaks it and who you can practice with. it doesn't make sense just to learn by yourself with books and cd's. also reading and watching movies/TV is important

I'm Austrian btw

eh not too god but I haven't studied in too long.
if there is one tip I can give is to learn how to type Korean on your keyboard. you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly and then you easily lookup words on naver.

>Languages I know
Native English, conversational German
>learning
German, Dutch
>how long have I been learning
German for over four years, Dutch since a couple days ago
>languages I want to learn
Esperanto for the meme
French because I live in a state next to Quebec
Chilean Spanish because I'm a Chileabo
>tips
find a good online dictionary for the language you're learning, for German I like to use dict.cc
watch easylanguages on Youtube, they do a nice job of showing how a language is used by normal people
And lastly shitpost on Sup Forums in the language on it's respective board until you don't even need to double check a sentence for grammar or words

>dict.cc
I can second that m8

>And lastly shitpost on Sup Forums in the language on it's respective board until you don't even need to double check a sentence for grammar or words
couldn't agree more

>learn how to type Korean on your keyboard
typing in korean is a fucking nightmare. I dont have any keyboard with alternate alphabet set so I need to use google translate virtual keyboard. Anyway I talked to some korean on Sup Forums and he told me that it takes abount 7 years to speak freely. fuck

well the bright side is that french seems much easier than korean

yup, the bokmål thing is what worries me
I just want to watch norwegian movies with her and understand what she says to me and maybe have our own secret language

>Well, I won't lie to you. I didn't really know all the words that came up, but I could definitely tell what the text was about by the time I finished reading it.
not so bad though for a free program
thanks!!

I can imagine
german seems to be a very straightforward language

kek no worries I understand

but it is still very good that you have someone teaching you it and correcting you

good luck with the fine tuning! great advice as well

>B2
>2 months
can't underestimate immersion eh?

dutch should be a walk in the park for you I think

>And lastly shitpost on Sup Forums in the language on it's respective board until you don't even need to double check a sentence for grammar or words
sounds like a dream

if you are on windows you can set virtual keyboards so you can just type in the characters
the downside is that you can't see the keys you're typing but once you practice enough you probably wont need to see anyway

well I learned typing on googles virtual keyboard too. if you use any other operating system than windows XP you can easily install another keyboard layout

>can't underestimate immersion eh?
that's why I decided to go a level lower in the school in Barcelona, also I have to speak more Spanish with the guys at the office

>can easily install another keyboard layout
>you can't see the keys you're typing
yea, its shit. Not seeing letters is like playing the mine sweeper

you've got the perfect setup then
I'm jealous

you can see the keys on googles virtual keyboard. its not hard m8

I set my goal to three lessons a day.
Assimil says it can bring its students up to B2, so I'll use it when I'm nearly done with duolingo.

Dutch has a bad reputation for French speakers. It might be because of the orthography though, not the language itself. I will find out, I'm going to work in Vlaanderen for a few months. Wish me luck for explaining I'm not Walloon.

lycka till!

>Dutch has a bad reputation for French speakers.
pronunciation. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a French speaker to sound like a native. at least I haven't met one.
> Wish me luck for explaining I'm not Walloon.
Shouldn't be a problem, they hate France more than Wallonnia : ^).
And yet, they'll keep telling you how beautiful France is, how good the food and the wine can be, etc. etc.

My knowledge of Dutch culture : youtube.com/watch?v=c8HcOE45FEw

Does anyone want to learn language completely useless for them as they'll never get to use it in person?

Like Icelandic, Luxembourgish, Twi, or something like that?

Yeah, I kinda wanna learn Serbo-Croatian

Nice.
They do Croatian on Mondly. If you use it, you can get all of the stuff for free by typing MONDLY in the coupon/whatever section.