mpv.srsfckn.biz/
mpv.io/manual/master/#options-ytdl-format
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/mplayer-changes.rst
gist.github.com/l4n9th4n9/4459997
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/?source=typ_redirect
pastebin.com/gGjRbGDM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>gist.github.com/igv/2364ffa6e81540f29cb7ab4c9bc05b6b/revisions
Why are there so many updates recently but nothing in official repository?
Is it enhancement, porting issue, hook limitation or something else?

haha, lol

haha

NGU when?
Vulkan when?
Libplacebo when?

>all these wincucks itt
ps aux
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED TIME COMMAND
daniel 1384 13,6 1,0 2766952 85488 ?? U 4:39 0:02.10 /Applications/mpv.app/Contents/MacOS/mpv

Libplacebo where? Nothing on github! :(

Why should I use mpv over mplayer? Is it because mpv is another Sup Forums meme?

???
i have never seen this happen outside of vlc

>have the settings use a wrong driver
>get angry when playback is shit

Alternatively
>have mobile-tier processor toaster
>get angry when you can't play anything above 720p 8-bit H.264

It's ogm.

Try using a low-end preset for your shit CPU.

you can play ogm fine, I can without issue using the keyboard too. clicking and dragging makes that happen though.

I have this hotkey in my inputrc
n vf toggle "lavfi=[noise=alls=2.7:allf=t+u]"
for toggling noise, but I'd rather have something like
n = increase noise
N = decrease noise

Does anyone have an idea how to make it work?

3770k @4GHz. Which preset should I try?

what's the best config for watching anime on an x220?

update mpv to the newest build and use hwdec=no to use software decoding
If you on win you will probably want o use the dxinterop backend. I have a worse cpu than you and only use about 3-8%

I'm already using the l;atest x64 build from here: mpv.srsfckn.biz/

>hwdec=no
What? Why? This would result in more CPU usage. In that screenshot I was using dxva2-copy. Now I use cuda-copy.

n add deband-grain 10
N add deband-grain -10

Interestingly, the only player that has this problem is MPV. Even libmpv based players like Baka-MPlayer work fine. MPV confirmed for shit

works excellent for me, but I dont convert my files to a depricated format.

Will try, thanks.

does it have a santa hat for christmas? vlc has a santa hat

>It works for me
>I just didn't follow the reproduction steps for the bug

I said I dont convert my files to ogm, a depricated format. And I have tried an ogm file before. It plays fine and seeks fine using the keyboard. It glitches when you click and drag with the mouse.

Precise seeks broke things like hardware decoding vdpau before depending on driver. If the player doesn't have precise seeks it won't glitch, no wonder old deprecated shit doesn't play nice with it.

I still don't know why with hwdec on I can't take screenshots and deinterlace videos.

Anime at 4K. Post your settings, richfags(nonpovertyfags).

making aur package of mpv with changing seasonal hats right now

Couple of questions.
Is there a button to make screenshots WITHOUT subtitles but with shader effects visible (shapren)?
What is the difference between a 1pass and 2pass sharpen shaders if I set sharpening strength to be the same value for both? Is 2 pass more precise and thus better than 1 pass?
What does SSimSuperRes do? I saw a few pics in older threads that led me to believe that this shader makes picture much sharper (like sharpen shader) but I see no difference with 1080p anime on 1080p display resolution, don't have anything lower to test.

wats the best config

profile=opengl-hq

Newfag here. What's so good about this media player and how does it compare to VLC?
>inb4 vlc

Better video/subtitle quality in theory. It's pretty light and fast. More flexible. Depends on how you set it up.
Personally I see zero difference in image quality between mpv with profile=opengl-hq and MPC-BE with pretty much default madVR settings, and sharpen filter with the same strength on both players.
Don't even know why you'd use VLC if you're on Windows since there are better alternatives like MPC-HC/BE or PotPlayer.

Can anyone tell me what i should write into the mpv.conf
so that when i fetch YouTube videos via youtubedl and all, it never accepts vid quality beyond 1080p?
Anything beyond 1080 lags the vid, as my computer is old.

First, look in the archive for examples.

It would be easier if these threads came with a pastebin of a mpv.conf which contains the general shit, correctly written and also explained where necessary.

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-ytdl-format
>See youtube-dl's documentation for available aliases. (Default: youtube-dl's default, currently bestvideo+bestaudio/best)

So on windows, this should be it?

ytdl-format="bestvideo[height

did you test it? it works for me.

Yup. Tested on one HardwareCucks vid which lagged before, and it works perfectly now.

This started happening recently. Everytime I exit fullscreen, part of the image is stuck on my desktop until I click off or move a window over the area as if erasing it.

Interestingly, if I screenshot the glitched area doesn't show up. So I can only show it by taking pictures with camera.

I'm faggot and lost all config files on MPV during reinstall OS

so i decide copy and paste like retard
im gonna watching 1080p like casual scum

>Is 2 pass more precise and thus better than 1 pass?
no

>What does SSimSuperRes do?
The aim of this shader is to make corrections to the upscaled image. Works with regular scalers only, not prescalers.

>no
So why use one over the other? What is the difference?

I've had that issue, I assumed it was my AMD drivers borking actually. Not like it's a real issue because it disappears with a lot of actions anyway.

faster

because it's literally a better mplayer

Yeah, looks like the window manager fails to redraw when it regains control of the screen. Try --angle-egl-windowing. Which GPU?

MPlayer hasn't gotten much development since 2012, even though it has a lot of scope for improvement. mpv's pace of development is a lot faster. Some of the more interesting new features are precise seeking support, support for Matroska ordered chapters, and OpenGL/VDPAU/VA-API interop, but there are a lot more changes than that.

See github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/mplayer-changes.rst

> angle

Literally why? It's just a compatibility backend. Just use dxinterop if it works. It's much much faster

>Just use dxinterop if it works. It's much much faster
Since when opengl is faster than direct3d, especially on windows?

You always use opengl with those backends (angle, dxinterop, win). If you want to use direct3d you'd need to change the video driver, not the backend

No, angle is direct3d, the only thing that can be slower with it, is higher cpu usage and only max by ~1%.

> angle is direct3d
Through an OpenGL ES translation layer which is slow as shit

>slow as shit
Prove it. You have 2% cpu usage with dxinterop and like 20% with angle?

stats.lua
press i

Forgot one point:
look at total latency

did it, total latency with angle is always lower.

Using any hwdec that only works with angle?

With and without hwdec (d3d11va).

This isn't a correct way to compare performance of the backends. Angle might be actually faster and thus it will work at lowest GPU clock, and latency is actually depends on the GPU clock. Either set GPU to highest performance first, or compare GPU usage instead.

+1 and don't use broken shits like gpu-z

libva-intel-driver-g45-h264
"AccelMethod" "uxa"
bleeding edge Mesa and Xorg or wayland (if your DE supports it)

>don't use broken shits like gpu-z
How it's broken? It works fine for me.

I have two files... both are mkv. Both have AVC encoded video track.

Yet one of them uses hardware decoding through my Nvidia card and the other one does't.

Why is that??

Mediainfo stats? Maybe one of them is 10 bit?

>Try --angle-egl-windowing
Error parsing option angle-egl-windowing (option not found)
Setting command line option '--angle-egl-windowing=' failed.
It's an RX480 8GB by the way. And I'm in case you care.

You're right. 8bit bit depth does work with HW acceleration, 10bit does not.

Is that limitation of an nvidia gfx card?

>Is that limitation of an nvidia gfx card?
Yes.

Thanks user! Are there any gfx cards that can process 10bit vids?

Apparently the update script I was using didn't work like I thought it would, after updating mpv the command "works". I still get the issue.
However, I only get it if I go from fullscreen to normal on my second monitor, not on my primary. My primary is 2560x1440@60, secondary is 1920x1080@144 with freesync. So possibly it's related to that.

I think only a few high-end NVIDIA cards and Intel Skylake support 10 bit HW accelerated decoding. But that goes only for 10bit x265 (HEVC). As for 10bit x264 (which is what you have most likely) - no idea.

On the other hand I might be completely wrong about how many GPUs support HEVC decoding. You can Google if you really that info, I guess.

thanks. I took a look at nvidia settings. this is what my card supports.

Couldn't find any info about bit-depths...

gist.github.com/l4n9th4n9/4459997

thanks user!

I know this is unrelated to mpv but have you ever tried encoding avc videos through Nvidia HW? I know that some branches fo ffmpeg support that. always wondered how well it works..

what's the difference between d3d11va and DXVA2?

dxva2 has some limitations. For example deband and nnedi3 don't work with it. They work with dxva2-copy, but it is too taxing with HD video.
Also
>dxva2 is not safe. It appears to always use BT.601 for forced RGB conversion, but actual behavior depends on the GPU drivers. Some drivers appear to convert to limited range RGB, which gives a faded appearance.

What cards support d3d11va though? Does it work on legacy pre-GCN AMD cards?

a piece of shit like my GT710 supports it

One question about subtitle priority:
Sometimes I got BluRay rips where it got 2 English subtitle tracks:

>English Signs/Songs
>English/English Subtitles

I don't care about the former, but it's almost always put before the latter.
How can I filter them out so that whatever other English subtitle besides the Signs/Songs one is used first?

Is there a way to change the screenshot format from jpeg to png?

screenshot-format=png

where do I copy that?

Create mpv.conf in this directory and put this line there and save:
screenshot-format=png

You can set sub priority with --slang=, but this issue is fucked since different releases use different naming conventions and there isn't one catch-all way to do it.
You could try and make a lua script that selects the track with largest filesize since the full dialogue track would be larger.

Should I activate opengl-hq?
Does it make a difference?

Yes, defaults use incredibly shit scalers for the sake of compatibility. opengl-hq at least sets them to normal settings, and you can still go ultra-autism and set some other settings to your own liking.

how do I activate it tho?
This is what happens when I try to configure it with the .bat

meant for

I'm retarded, I just needed to run it as administrator.

Give me one good reason to use this over mpc-hc. Note that I'm not a degenerate anime-watching autist.

The fuck kind of script is that? I'm assuming it needs administrator rights, but why you'd need a script to add a single line is beyond me.
Just put it in mpv.conf

Best no frills config for a laptop with i5-3320M/HD4000?

stop taking png screenshots

Why? When I take jpeg screenshots I can see all the compression artifacts.
I downloaded this build:
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/?source=typ_redirect

There are good reasons to take png screenshots though. When you want to compare video files or scalers for example.
Almost every other case should use jpg though. Personally I just have a key for png screenshot, a key for png screenshot with scalers and shit, and a key for a jpg screenshot.

I use the same build as well.
Just put this line into your config:
profile=opengl-hq

If you use that .bat file, it will create a new MPV folder and new mpv.conf file so you'll end up with two conf files (if you created it to change screenshot format). One will override another, I believe the conf from root will override that new conf in mpv folder that .bat created.
Either delete that folder and put opengl-hq to the conf file you made with screenshot adjustment or put that screenshot line in the new conf file that .bat created and delete old conf from root mpv directory.
If you need some examples, you can take a loot at my config file: pastebin.com/gGjRbGDM

Commented (#) lines obviously won't have any effect, I was just testing some things.

Something like this pic related?
I already deleted the conf in the root mpv directory