Is Ubuntu kill?

omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/ubuntu-18-04-ship-gnome-desktop-not-unity

Other urls found in this thread:

insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/
gould.cx/ted/blog/2017/04/05/X11-apps-on-Ubuntu-Personal/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unity is and always has been a piece of fucking trash. Good riddance.

Y E A R
O F
T H E
L I N U X

Reeeeeeee, I don't like change.

Then again I guess it's nice that this probably kills Mir and we can all go Wayland.

must've realized that ubuntu phone had no chance of ever fucking happening and he doesn't want to spend more money on maintaining their own special snowflake desktop environment
I suppose it's the best thing they can do

>not using Plasma 5

cucks

So when I'm on Ubuntu will I be able to move my mouse to the upper left hand corner and see all my applications running?

Cus thats the best part of Fedora

Gnome 3 is almost as bad as Unity, unless they ship it with dash to dock and various other extensions preinstalled.

Bummer. I actually liked Unity and couldn't stand GNOME.

It's probably easier to make GNOME3 behave the way they want than it is to make Unity8 not shit.

dash to dock is old news, dash to panel is where it's at.

Good. I wish Canonical stopped with this Apple-like NIH syndrome.

>Wow.
>This post will be updated as I sup my coffee and resolve the shock.
Is it so hard to write in a neutral tone without adding your own goddamn comments everywhere?

the entire point is that they'll use a shell that already exists
they don't want to work in the desktop, they want to focus on servers

This is amazing news, it means that Red Hat and Canonical will be joining efforts on making GNOME the best Linux desktop.

Unity 8 looked really cool but this is going to hello the linux ecosystem so much.

I'm starting to get a free software boner.

welcome to 2017

you're a dumbass if you don't think this means that GNOME will get more development.

You mean a hidden task bar? Ubuntu has that.

isn't that shit broken on ubuntu

>insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/
>Growing Ubuntu for Cloud and IoT
maybe, but that isn't the reason for this

So Ubuntu will become just another distro....

good
maybe ubuntu will be usable again

>is Ubuntu kill

Anything but. They're making more money than they ever were off of cloud software and are investing more time in making Ubuntu the best server OS instead of the best desktop OS

Well duh. Not only will they help on the desktop, but they're going to be able to focus more on stability and performance, which is already top-notch.

Go away shill

IOT is big for the server market, and they've been losing marketshare of that for a while now.

Why not do it like Firefox does and make unity look like GNOME?

I can't say I'm particularly sad that Unity will be gone but the fact that they're letting someone else develop their DE combined with the fact that they're also dropping Ubuntu Phone makes it obvious that they're in some kind of financial trouble. I could care more though because I won't get into any other Ubuntu flavor soon. I'm completely satisfies with Ubuntu MATE.

why the fuck would I be a shill?

No, It's better than any de with some tuning.

why make a gnome copycat when they can just adopt the entire thing

Just Unity is kill, not Ubuntu

using systemd
using a desktop environment

or they stopped being retards and realized that all the shit they were developing alone was never going to have an ounce of usefulness

I'm actually interested in a non-antiquated stable and easy to use distro. Debian doesn't have some things I need.

meme arrows without the arrows

>t. Someone who's never used cinnamon

Does it mean that MIR is dead?!
Will snap die too?

Does this mean 17.04 won't ship with unity8?

I'm using it right now, I have a hidden taskbar on left side of screen, when I move mouse to left edge of screen it pops out.

Only Mir and Unity. Snap will be continued and is the center of Canonical's focus now with IOT.

I don't know how it will work out for Ubuntu but It sounds like a sane change.
Not having to maintain Unity frees up a lot of money and resources for Canonical.
And we won't have to deal with even more fragmentation between Mir and Wayland.

GNOME3 has already reached end of development.
3.22 was the final major release of Gnome3/gtk3 and gnome devs already work on gnome 4.

Do you have a legit criticism of snaps or are you one of those muh lisp guys that hates things that are easy?

Cinnamon is slow and ugly
MATE is ugly and deprecated
GNOME is shit and bloated
KDE is on life support
Only Xfce reigns

Kneel down to your new rat overlords

Just today some devs were blogging about Xmir and shit, it must been a shock to them
gould.cx/ted/blog/2017/04/05/X11-apps-on-Ubuntu-Personal/

There is already a GNOME version of Ubuntu, so I expect a merger.
17.04 will ship with Unity7
Mir is probably dead
Snap isn't

i really wish they would add a taskbar or at least a sane alt-tab switching mechanism

>trashing Mir and Unity 8
Literally laughing out loud

I don't have any criticism for snap, that was just a question.
But I do have a problem with Mir.

funny i installed fedora rawhide with xfce seconds before unity died

>But I do have a problem with Mir.

problem solved

>Xfce is a piece of screen tearing shit that can't even display fonts properly

And while I really wanted Ubuntu Convergence to succeed (mobile/desktop dock is the future of personal computing) it was pretty much wishful thinking.

I'm fairly sure it will take apple to market this idea to normies enough to pick it up.
iOS and android are to well established for anything to threaten it unfortunately.
So again, freeing up resources.

And Unity is worse than all of those

>mobile/desktop dock is the future of personal computing
No.

>MATE is ugly and deprecated
MATE is maximum efficiency and usefulness. It's the perfect DE and it looks quite nice out of the box. No childish eye candy shit like transparency and the task bars are nice and thin to allow for more vertical space.

Xfce is just super sluggish. Not quite as bas as KDE but it's a pain in the ass. Especially the start menu is terrible.

Oh no, it's retarded

Gnome is beautiful software given to us by our lords and saviors at Red Hat.

>17.04 will ship with Unity7
Yeah, but it comes with Unity8 installed by default and usable at install, at least in beta. I think they may strip Unity 8 from 17.04 at release.

>Cinnamon is slow and ugly
>Compared to unity
Sure it is, buddy

Yes.

>Unity finally dies

This shit has gone on long enough.

Shuttlecuck finally realized Ubuntu will never be a smartphone OS.

both of these are unironically right

To be fair Mir was basically already dead. Unity was likely to support both Wayland and Mir and if you could use either why would you use Mir?

I hope this whole Ubuntu meme dies of soon.

Section "Display"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver ""

Option "TearFree" "true"

>ugly fonts

pic related

Whiskermenu, faggot

nope they will get even stronger, with a realistic focus now.

Redhat wins, again

kek, forgot pic

It's essentially the Ubuntu fansite, what did you fucking expect?

WHAT THE FUCK IT'S REAL

insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/

Yes you luddite.

Only thing we lack is a framework that enables popular applications to be used in both touchscreen enabled mobile mode and mouse-and-keyboard driven desktop mode.

A mobile device you put in your pocket that you plug in to a dock enabled with large display, keyboard, mouse, printer and speakers loaded with a decent browser, office suite and basic videoediting/photoediting software covers the personal computing needs of 80%+ of computer users.

Smartphones are more popular than desktop/laptop computers in the 3rd world because they're cheap, small and don't use much power for basic computing needs.

>Whiskermenu
That's what I meant. I only ever used Xfce with Xubuntu and Whiskermenu is standard with that. It's just horribly fugly

Kek. It's true.

the future of computing is terminals connecting to a virtual machine on either a local or cloud server.

Says a retard using autistic OS designed by virgins

And those terminals will be your fucking mobile device that you plug in to a large display with keyboard and mouse in home

I seriously don't know how is this distro the most popular, besides sheer momentum.
There are other distros for retarded people.

Whiskermenu is literally the worst part of Xubuntu. The standard start menu for XFCE is fucking patrician though. Drop down menus just can't be surpassed in terms of usability.

>videoediting
Nigga you go and try rendering the most basic vid on your phone you crazy fuck.

>inb4 april fools

you can hate it as much as you want, it won't change anything

>still not using KDE
lel

>30 minutes later
>still not a sticky

Unity was the only DE I could tolerate.

Back to windows I guess.

>tfw you will soon be able to have comfy ubuntu lts releases with stable, pure, upstream gnome 3

the only thing keeping me from ubuntu right now is how hacked together unity 7 is and how out of sync they are with gnome

why bother plugging it in? the cost of an ARM device with wifi is so cheap you can just embed it into every device in your home. just have a unified login and you're golden

>not being able to just press Super-Key, type what you want and press enter

Only thing Whiskermenu is good for is the search, especially if you have a shitty memory like I do.

Oh no, it's an ableist piece of shit.

Not him, but you're being a fucking asshole.

1) Stop using "retarded" as an insult. There are good people out there who suffer from retardation. None of them are smart, obviously, but a lot of them are good, and they don't deserve your shit.

2) Stop equating autism to retardation. I'm autistic, but I'm not retarded, you prick. My mom had my IQ tested, it's 138. Is my intellect wasted? You bet it is, because I'm a fucking worthless manchild. But it's still there. If you insist on categorically insulting everyone who has a certain disability, at least get the story straight on which one it is, and don't deliberately conflate dissimilar disorders for rhetorical effect.

Lubuntu toaster master race

Nice pasta, you retarded, autistic faggot

cinnamon is slow but it isn't ugly

FUCK YEAH
Sup Forums shills BTFO once again

>I'm autistic
obviously

I liked the sidebar thnig on unity I just hated the menu and the menubar on the top. The theme was pretty nice overall. Shame they're about to ruin all of that with GNOME3's hideous theme

>Forgetting the superior budgie exists

>gnome
>stable
Oxymoron.

>using the most sluggish and broken DE on the market
>"it's soooo customizable!"
>breaks down
>"ahhh well that's just a little bug. happens to every program"
>completely fucks up task bar layout
>"no problem I'm just gonna have to create a new taskbar"
>takes 10 seconds to open the start menu
>"well... uuhhh... my PC is kinda old"
>switching tabs in the start menu feels sluggish
>"those animations are a feature!"
wew lad

There's now literally ZERO REASONS to use Ubuntu.

t. Retard

gnome is extremely stable