English discussion thread

English discussion thread

Which accent is the best?
Which standard (US/UK) is the superior one?
What do you think of the English language?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JCBvu_nswUQ
vocaroo.com/i/s1ZCaqlJ1pYU
youtu.be/v6xi8_7Fy6Y
youtu.be/-M5vqQLCo1U
youtube.com/watch?v=73uATsa8y5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Khijd5q3Y-M
vocaroo.com/i/s05PgC1HvCIZ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glottal_stop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>northern irish or standard southern
>UK
>would be nice to speak another language, but i'm glad i don't have to for my life to be a lot easier

Mine
US
Meh

>an Irishman who favours the US standard
u w0t m8

cornish/westcountry best accent

South African
US
Idk

Scotland, if it's articulate. I'm from Scotland and live in London. If you have a good diaphragm and vocal projection, it's guaranteed to get you pussy. It's easy.

scottish accent is awful, sorry but its the biggest turn off

Argie youtu.be/JCBvu_nswUQ
UK
Retarded pronunciation

>Southern English
>neither is objectively superior, it's only a matter of what you're used to
>total clusterfuck tbqhwy

We spell words 10x better than British English

There's fuck all differences in modern English but the American spelling system is usually more phonetic.

>Anything's fine as long as it's not incomprehensible like Scottish or Deep Southern
>US
>It's ok, it's a shame I'll have to switch to Spanish in 20 years.

you had to dumb it down so its easier to spell kek

>Which accent is the best?
Middle class London accent
>Which standard (US/UK) is the superior one?
I tend to lean towards the US standard simply because it's the one I'm exposed to the most.
>What do you think of the English language?
I think it can sound very pleasant and I like the big vocabulary which makes the language very expressive. I wish the grammar was less simplified though.

For men, because the Scottish accent makes the speaker sound like 200% manlier which is why I can see how women would find it sexy

Russian
US
ok, i guess, pretty easy desu

>'latin America' is pronounced 'lah-hn America'

Haha, maybe when it's Highland or chav. It's easily the deepest most in the interesting accent here...it gets me loads of pussy. Perhaps just the girls like something different. But at work in meetings etc I'm easily the most listened to. Perhaps just because Im deep and articulate.

What?

>irish or scottish
>UK
>natural standard language

Cymraeg!

:)

(pls no sheep memes)

i wanna talk

I refuse to believe a Norwegian is speaking good things about English, you are most likely a proxyfag.

>But at work in meetings etc I'm easily the most listened to. Perhaps just because Im deep and articulate.
They're probably all looking at you thinking "god when will this fucking faggot ever shut up?"

vocaroo.com/i/s1ZCaqlJ1pYU

Why do Brits pronounce "th" as "f" as if they're still babies?

>Middle class London accent
Extremely good choice desu

Haha....possibly.

It sounds like that. Same thing when you say "moun-n" instead of "mountain"

mine
US by a small margin (although aluminum sounds stupid)
its shite

That's called "th" fronting iirc. It's a feature of some UK accents (not all).

thats how the english speak retard
because theyre retards
they also cant pronounce the letter r

how else is it pronounced?

UK
UK
Meh

Southern England non-working class
For spelling and ease of pronunciation the US is superior
I like it a lot even though it can be weird as fuck at times

>how ah you
>yoh retahdid
>ahlind
>frahns
>keybohd
>computah
wtf i hate england now
put your tongue between your teeth and try to make an s sound
then do the same and make a z sound
you now know how to pronounce both th's
>mfw teaching an anglo his own language

youtu.be/v6xi8_7Fy6Y

"is there another America where they speak LA-UHM?"

literally never heard an american say lahuhn america
t dropping is the standard in half of england though.

>north and south america are both america
>usa is not america
he drank the kool aid
only spics actually believe that shit.

The Queen's English / RP
UK (not the oi u wot m8 UK English) sounds more professional and uptight while US sounds more bro-tier and relaxed. I find listening to movies with US English better than britbong English
Watered down. The spelling and pronunciation pisses me off too. Though, through, thought.

What I dislike:
>no compound nouns
>no standardised phonetics
>New expressions and phrases, figures of speech etc are regularly made up of the same prepositions
Basically I feel like my creativity is subject to stricter boundaries when expressing myself in English as opposed to German.

What I like:
>very melodic and pleasant sound
>easy to learn
>grammar makes sense, close to no exceptions

Best accent is Dixie, btw.

this is correct

speaking with f instead of th is generally speaking a trait of working/lower middle class people in the south of england.

what do lower class english people say for the th in the?

>foreigners unironically like this garbage accent

Why

youtu.be/-M5vqQLCo1U

It's still 'th', it's more for words like 'thought' and 'thinking' that they get wrong.

its great
ok so voiced th=stays the same and unvoiced th=becomes f
english accents are the worst tbf.

I CANNOT FUCKING STAND the variety of English spoken by university-age w*men in either the Northeastern USA (and by extension Angl*s in my city, i.e. Montreal) or West Coast. When it's guys it's sorta tolerable, but when it's women it's insanely unappealing.

Southern accents can be more charming funnily enough, whether they're spoken by men or women. I'd rather listen to the most redneck accent than the fucking nasal whiny bitchy female New York college student accent any day of the week.

I prefer generic American, but I'm biased because I grew up on generic American by the way of TV and I speak with a generic American accent. I also like the southern American accent; not the excessive redneck type, though.

Out of Brit English, RP is very pleasant to the ears, when spoken both by men and women, rest is trash tier, tbqh.

I'm from London but I think Irish accents sound the best.

I personally like the trashiest, cockney-est accent possible. Most British accents make you sound smart or stupid as shit, but the cockney accent is the only stupid-sounding one that isn't unbearable.

US

Best language on Earth.
Other languages try too hard.

Cornish is utterly incomprehensible.

I think Scottish accent is the best . Not that I know tens of different accents or anything. It's probably hollywood effect too but that's what I think

youtube.com/watch?v=73uATsa8y5Y

>I refuse to believe a Norwegian is speaking good things about English

Norwegians are some of the biggest Anglophiles around. Don't let one or two contrarian mongs on Sup Forums fool you.

Sean bean accent is the best
northern england and Queen's English is best. As long as you stay below scotland you're fine. don't even step in wales or Cornwall.

I couldn't agree more. I literally want to kill myself when I hear that nasal garbage of an accent.

H. P. Lovecraft had a funny way of writing how rural folk in New England spoke in the 1910s and 1920s. Here's a passage from the Dunwich Horror:

>An' he says, says he, Mis' Corey, as haow he sot to look fer Seth's caows, frighted ez he was; an' faound 'em in the upper pasture nigh the Devil's Hop Yard in an awful shape. Haff on 'em's clean gone, an' nigh haff o' them that's left is sucked most dry o' blood, with sores on 'em like they's ben on Whateley's cattle ever senct Lavinny's black brat was born. Seth he's gone aout naow to look at 'em, though I'll vaow he wun't keer ter git very nigh Wizard Whateley's! Cha'ncey didn't look keerful ter see whar the big matted-daown swath led arter it leff the pasturage, but he says he thinks it p'nted towards the glen rud to the village.

This is what passes for "English" in America.

fockin' ell lads, Montenegro's anthem is godly

youtube.com/watch?v=Khijd5q3Y-M

>standard southern
vocaroo.com/i/s05PgC1HvCIZ

UK.

wait lol this isn't /brit/

Irish generally sounds closer to the US accent than the UK accent, depending on where in Ireland

sometimes it's so hard to understand what karl pilkington says god damn it

that's british you retard

And like so ummm *breathes through nose heavily* that was just so like crezy right?

Americans have trouble pronouncing their /t/s and /d/s.

Like how they say "unnerstand" instead of "understand" and "anni-war" instead of "anti-war".

No, it's not you mug. It's "American thinking he can do an English accent"

It's called a glottal stop and it is, you retard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glottal_stop
>Although this segment is not a written[1] phoneme in English, it is present phonetically in nearly all dialects of English as an allophone of /t/ in the syllable coda. Speakers of Cockney, Scottish English and several other British dialects also pronounce an intervocalic /t/ between vowels as in city.

Guernsey
UK
Meh

RARE FLAG

>mfw Brits pronounce yogurt as "yaw-gert"

>Nobody here is aware of Highlands Speech.

The BEST accent desu.
The worst accent is mine - Welsh.

No, it's "yaw-gut".

idk Estuary maybe
UK is more widely used
It's ok, everyone says its easy and >babbys first language, I dont know how true that is but I assume that would make it difficult for us to learn other languages

What the fuck is a Guernsey accent

>I wish the grammar was less simplified though.
elaborate

>UK is more widely used

The delusion

>americans pronounce it yo-gert

You're still speaking our language
Disgusting user
Yog-urt master race

it really is though. have you even been to europe, or even left your country? from the places ive been to on the continent they all learn UK english, rather than '''''american english''''' which is just you taking some letters out of words to make them easier to spell

>our language

It's just as much your language as it is ours.

You can't call it not our language if it's been spoken here since... the entire existence of this country and its predecessors.

English has been simplified numerous times throughout its history, mostly thanks to people continuously invading the area (normans and vikings). When lots of people learn a language as a second language they tend to make many mistakes, or even simplify the language to make it easier. When many people do this, the new simplified language eventually becomes the norm.

English has lost the grammatical genders and case inflections it used to have.

German:
Ein alter Mann sitzt auf einer Bank.

English:
An old man sits on a bench.

In the German sentence the case inflections are retained, and so are the grammatical genders. There are also other grammatical elements in German that English has lost:

German:
Sie geht morgen dorthin, um einen Mann zu treffen.

English:
She will go there tomorrow in order to meet a man.

The English sentence is potentially ambiguous in this case. The German sentence clearly states that she will go towards another location, but the English sentence doesn't explicitly make that clear. It can be interpreted as if she's just going about in the same area (no native English speaker would do this, but when you learn about the distinction German makes it makes sense to consider this ambiguity.)

Northern Irish (specifically middle class North Down)
UK
Simply epic

it is tho
no memes

OUTTA MY WAY ANGLO FUCKING SHITS BEST ACCENT COMING THROUGH!
THAT'S RIGHT THE BEST ACCENT IS WELSH! WHY YOU ASK? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IF YOU REALLY NEED TO ASK THAT YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A PAKI/CANADIAN. UK ENGLISH IS BEST FOR NOW (UNTIL THE UPRISING) CYMRU AND SHEEP NOT ENGLAND AND GIRLS OK :DDDD

>Many regions, notably Canada, Australia, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore and the Caribbean, have developed their own native varieties of the language.
>Written English as used in the Commonwealth generally favours traditional spelling as opposed to American spelling, with one notable exception being Canada, where there is also a strong influence from neighbouring American English.

fuck off yank why would a former BRITISH empire not use BRITISH English?

Most learners learn the American accent

Dubs=truth

How does English compare to Norwegian? I know it's a northern Germanic language and retains a lot of features found in German but to what extent I'm not sure

also as an aside how easy is it for you to understand Swedish? Danish? Is it like "person with a very heavy accent", or something like "these words sound similar so I guess they have a similar meaning and it makes sense in context", or something else entirely?

...americans don't have accents

Nice digits my nigga double double respect. However it is my view that you are incorrect on this matter

There are many similar Germanic words between Norwegian and English.

book - bok
house - hus
wind - vind
knife - kniv

etc.

Norwegian was also simplified quite a bit, so it lost case inflection and some dialects lost the feminine gender completely. The dialect I speak is in the process of losing the feminine gender, since it's only marked partially. e.g. I'd say en jente instead of ei jente, but I'd say jenta instead of jenten.

It's relatively easy for me to understand Swedish and Danish. Written Danish is no problem at all since the most common standard of written Norwegian, Bokmål, is based on Danish. Spoken Danish however is harder to understand. Especially if the person speaks fast and not clearly. Both written and spoken Swedish are easy to understand, but some words are different so you need to learn them to make communication viable.

e.g. the verb "to ask" is "att fråga" in Swedish, but in Norwegian it's "å spǿrre" (same as in Danish).

Correction, it's "at spǿrge" in Danish. My point was that the Danish version is similar to the Norwegian one.