Trackpad

Please explain to me why the FUCK do people get a trackpad for a DESKTOP when there's a fucking mouse

Macfags what the fuck.

Aesthetics and it works well enough. Most work is done on a keyboard anyway.

Apple mice aren't designed for human hands.

I wonder if it is easier to use than on a laptop. Also gestures are always nice to have.

With a tiling widow manager I would prefer a trackpad for scrolling.

What did Apple have against scroll wheels on a fucking mouse?

Damn. At least the Pro Mouse and Mighty Mouse look tolerable in that lineup. Everything else doesn't look all too comfortable.

While I enjoy shitting on Apple, the 360 degree scrolling ball thing on the Mighty Mouse is pretty nice actually.

The Mighty Mouse has a scroll wheel (it's still shit)

literally only one mouse that had some sort of a scroll wheel though.

Ok, let me explain.

You have the average trackpad on a laptop. It has support for maybe 2 or 3 gestures. You can't do much on it so it automatically becomes shit by definition. It's just there to scroll through webpages maybe and that's it.

Then you have this fucking thing plus some software. You can set any single gesture you can think of to an action, right? Then instead of remembering a shortcut like ctrl+alt+e to open up some stupid fucking script that deletes all of your maki pictures, you can just swipe down with 4 fingers for the same action.

Now a mouse is always preferable for shit like graphic design and games and I understand that, user. But the thing is, it generally takes me longer on a multimonitor setup to snap a window to the left side of my right monitor than just do a 3 finger gesture. It's just overall comfortable to use, and no I don't mean comfy like the fuckers around here.

touch based scrolling is nicer though, it's so smooth.

kill your self

Trackpads are better for mice than everything except gaming because they have gestures.

That's not an argument.

than mice*

Gestures are admittedly nice, but keyboard shortcuts are far more efficient.

[citation needed]

I hope you macfags know the gestures do not work well on PC.
Which means you need to have a mac desktop for it to be of any significant use.
And to own a mac desktop, you must actually be a fucking retard.

Because Magic Trackpad >>>>>> mouse. Trackball's better than both though, I just use my trackpad for gestures now.

>Pro Mouse (White), 2000
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
THE WHITE PRO MOUSE WAS INTRODUCED IN 2003 ALONGSIDE THE IMAC G4.

the ball on the "mighty" mouse was 4 times out of 5 broken on library macs.

You don't need a mac desktop. You just need the OS.

>And to own a mac desktop, you must actually be a fucking retard.
iMac + server is the masterrace way to compute. You've got a desktop that takes up as much space as your monitor would anyway and your server goes where your tower normally would.

Not to mention if you ever really feel like gaymen or something you can toss a GPU in your server and use the iMac as a monitor

One day people around here will realize that money still does get you everything.

yeah hella dirt got into them, had to put them upsidedown on paper and rub it around to get it all off, then changed to a mx518 aka GOAT

t. shill

>Apple Desktop Bus Mouse

Damn thought I was immune from tech nostalgia.

Hours spent with that babby, this was years before I owned a PC myself. I remember my parents wouldn't get one until after 2000 because "y2k is going to kill them all its a bad investment".

It doesn't get broken per se. But it gets dirty and needs to get cleaned up every now and then. Probably a result of having a rubber scroll ball.

Example:

because noting is enogh to say to the world how gay you are

You should be shot

Does liking Apple laptops make me a cuck?

The build quality is really great. Feels light but also like you could kill a man. Best trackpad and keyboard as well, but I've only ever had two laptops before this one.

Not an argument

to be honest, anyone ragging you for liking apple laptops is either poor or jealous or has never tried one. the build quality IS far superior.

Eliminated stress on your wrist.
Assuming it's accurate and all that, I see it being pretty nice to have if all you do is shitpost on the internet

>build quality

>gaming on a server
>installing desktop Windows on a server to run games
>all because you want to play games but paradoxically bought an iMac
What magical leaps of logic does one have to go through to start at
>I want to play PC games
and reach the conclusion
>I will purchase an iMac in order to use it as a monitor and then add a graphics card to my server to run games
What the actual fuck? I've just swallowed the bait, right?

>gaming on a server
Windows VM with PCIe passthrough
>installing desktop Windows on a server to run games
See above
>all because you want to play games but paradoxically bought an iMac
It was just an example of how you can still do power hungry tasks that don't work well remotely with the setup.

dat mental illness... lol... out of your meds?

I use both. Trackpad is much nicer if you're mostly just scrolling and don't need pointer precision (eg: most of the time coding or browsing the web).

Proper mouse is better if you need the accuracy for doing a UI layout or other serious shit. Or if you're doing a lot of drag and drop shit which is a pain on trackpads.

being fucking huge compared to a laptop trackpad helps

I used to use both a trackpad and normal mouse

gestures ont he trackpad were really cool

You don't need a physical wheel, you scroll by dragging two fingers along the top of the mouse. Works quite well.

>a fucking yoyo
>a fucking brick

The Pro Mouse and Magic Trackpad are both great pointing devices.

I just got a macbook pro with touchbar at my new job as a sysadmin for IBM and I've never used a mac before, always hated them (for their overpriced bullshit antics and inferior specs) but I must admit I am enjoying it a lot. Especially the gesture scrolling, amazing. However I did end up getting a windows mouse anyways so I can right click when at a desk. While in bed however the gestures are quite amazing.

I thought they could be used with a pen for graphic design and drawing?

Please don't tell me it's literally just a trackpad

It's literally a trackpad, a great trackpad

Why doesn't Apple make cars with trackpad steering wheels?

>mactoddlers unironically being impressed with 2 finger scroll

>Oh god how do hands work
>Ok, have it arch, then round the corners
>FUCK
>Where were we again? Oh right, rounded corners
>Try making it flatter, that's ergonomic right?
>Fuck it, have a trackpad

How does that seem like even a remotely good idea?

>Can't detect sarcasm.

It doesn't. Which is why it's something Apple would sell.

That wasn't sarcasm, that was pure retardation.

The difference is that the Magic Trackpad is wonderful.

Professor who works at my school wanted one. She is a thick milf, so it must be good.

"it just works"

>> Can't admit he can't sarcasm

I still don't understand WHY you get a trackpad if you have a fucking mouse.

It's the most retarded thing yet it's super common.

>can't admit his post was the dumbest thing posted on Sup Forums in years

>flat design originally conceptualized because of shape limitations of laptops
>none of the speed, preciseness, or accuracy of mouse
>gestureshit gimmicks that are still worse than dedicated scroll wheel and back/forward mouse buttons
>trying to do anything involving select and drag like organizing files or photos is like digging a well with a plastic spork
>macfags call this """""""""godly""""""""

Mactoddlers are literally the most gullible cucks on the planet.

>you can toss a GPU in your server and use the iMac as a monitor
This was ideal on the old ones with displayport pass-through but the later ones removed that feature so you'd be doing something shittier like the steam in-home streaming

Still if single-player is your thing, that's probably fine too.

Isn't the 5k iMac the only one that can't do it?

macbooks aside from the air (see ) are the sickest build quality you'll find

only old thinkpads could match them (maybe new ones? i haven't touched one since the T40 was king)

When 99.999% of your customer base does nothing but scroll up and down their facebook wall, it's not hard to convince them of anything.

>REE WHY DID APPLE WATTER DAMAGE MY MAC

normies need to fuck off

This.

Can't butthurt like a gentleman

Thought they killed it off back in like 2010

I've got a 2011 imac though so I'll try it out later today after I find or buy a cable to suit.

I've got a 6700K ITX rig sitting on the desk next to it which would happily drive a 27" 1440p screen for gaymen so that could let me save some space next time I rearrange the room

Gestures and better scrolling. Obviously it lacks the precision of a mouse but depending on what you do, you won't notice it while the other shit is pretty nice.

Don't make the mistake to compare Applel trackpads with the shit you're used to in Windows.

On further reading, looks like I was mostly right. For Mid-2011 and onwards it requires thunderbutt which basically means other macs only. Earlier models only required a mini displayport connection which is easy now that everything uses it or full displayport

For text-editing work, or other types of work where you're moving between the mouse and keyboard frequently, trackpads are more efficient than mice, because they stay put-- you don't have to go fishing for it every time you want to use it. Also, it's easier on the wrist.

Trackpads are shit for Solidworks too, I speak from experience

Should I do it Sup Forums?

It doesn't matter if it works or if it makes sense. Apple is all about the branding. They love doing all sorts of ass backwards shit; so when you sit down at the computer, you realize it's a mac because it's not doing what you expect. 'Oh, the mouse wheel is inverted. Must be a mac!' 'Oh, I need to awkwardly use the asshole command key for basic commands. Must be a mac! Oh, the interface is bloated with transition effects and drop shadows. Must be a mac!'

>not going fully BLACKED on the keyboard and mouse

Personally I would insist on a trackpad with separate buttons, but if you're OK with not having them, then sure.

You know, I really want that B L A C K E D one but everyone has that one. And I currently have the space gray MBP

My desk is black so I feel it gives a nice contrast if I got the space gray

My only problem with colorware though is their glossy paint jobs; they're shit. And their space gray is limited time only right now. Fuck.

What if it looks like shit? They have very limited pictures of how it looks. What if the space gray color isn't the same tone as the MBP? God damn, first world problems.

>$398
>FOUR HUNDRED
>FOUR FUCKING HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR A KEYBOARD AND "MOUSE"
>200 dollars on a keyboard

What the fuck are you doing.
You can buy a Das keyboard with that money.

>separate fixed buttons instead of having them wherever you need them

Their space gray looks too dark either way when compared to macbooks.

It's magic that fucking retards will pay for this.

Apple: by cucks, for cucks

apple trackpads are glorious. i see why anybody would prefer it over a mouse

Um... You're kidding right?

How will mactoddlers ever recover?

>He doesn't keep his thumb on the button at all times

>Can literally buy a Topre Realforce and Corsair Scimitar, two of the most expensive peripherals, for less
>To exceed these you probably need Saudi tier decadent bullshit like a gold plated mouse
Please for the love of god tell me this is in Australian/Canadian/someotherthirdworldcountry dollars.

It is USD.

And yes, people will pay 100 dollars EXTRA on top of an already overpriced basic apple product

At least somebody is getting rich because of retards.

How will mactoddlers ever recover?

trackpads are better for scrolling around big document than a mouse.
I have the first gen magic maxipad right next to my kensington expert mouse.

>Chiclet keys on a desktop keyboard
Almost as bad.

Because Magic Trackpad is fucking magic.

Apple's scissor switches are the next best thing to buckling springs. Sure chicet's not the best but I'll take it over a normal keyboard with rubber domes or Cherry switches any day.

Not to mention wireless on a keyboard for a desktop. What a fucking waste. I guarantee you 100% that battery is going to die during the most important and critical task possible.

If you spend a lot of time scrolling it's pretty damn nice.

If only there were some way to know how much charge the battery had.

/thread