Why aren't you programming an emulator and making $30k/month ?

Why aren't you programming an emulator and making $30k/month ?

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/262758/is-downloading-retro-video-game-roms-ever-legal/
law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/Sony_v_Bleem.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because...

how long before Nintendo forcefully ravages their anal cavity with litigation?

For $40k/month, they can fight it, and what they're doing is legal.

Why would people pay to support this proprietary tripe?

39,833 is 40k

it's the only way to stay legal
it's a legal gray area where nobody knows if it makes use of proprietary microcode blobs taken from the wii u.
if it does, nintendo has reasonable cause to sue.
But since it's closed source, you can't know.

because if I actually had any marketable skills I wouldn't be on Sup Forums

Because no freetard is going to devote hundreds of hours making the fucking emulator.

>For $40k/month, they can fight it
Lol

You're looking at a minimum of $500,000 per year to sustain a case against an international corporation like Nintendo.

Tell that to the Dolphin, PPSSPP, MAME, and Citra devs.

They'd all have been raking in Patreon money too had it been around when the bulk of the development was happening on their projects. I bet the Dolphin freecuck devs are seething that they pretty much finished their emulator and gave it away for free when they could have been earning $40k a month based on the Nintendo name alone.

People don't seem to understand, the only reason they're making so much money right now is because people can't wait a week to play a game. Once the new Zelda game is playable with few issues then people will back out from donating. Within 2 months, it will likely drop to $12000 (still god damn amazing)

The joys of closed source software, Stallman was always right.

if it was open source, and they weren't literally commiting copyright infringement with their microcode blobs, it would be totally legal.

this
and the fact that they're taking money for this shit opens them up to a lawsuit.
>donations
doesn't mitigate that threat

>go open-source
>have to go through unreasonable hoops to make sure nintendo doesn't fuck you for using anything that isn't clean-room reverse engineered
>end up with emulator that is dogshit

i bet you arrivved at that figure from years of experience in emulation litigation and not from a complete asspull

You know they where all closed source at the beginning and have patreons or donations.

Maybe they might actually want to support it because it's actually getting better?
I'm playing BotW on the Wii U right now, but I support them because I want my next playthrough in the future to be in 4k and without frame drops.

>proprietary
Do you think people know what that word means? Do you think they would care if they knew?

>earn 30k making an emulator
>29k goes to lawsuits

Except that emulators are legal user

howtogeek.com/262758/is-downloading-retro-video-game-roms-ever-legal/

Even if it were that much, they are making $480k/year so that pretty much covers it

>Steal the Wii U SDK
>Amateurishly repackage it in a way such that every game requires 1000s of individual fixes to run.
>E-beg a living for doing so.

I'll stick to real emulators, thanks.

>Steal the Wii U SDK

proof?

and have nothing left to live
good job

the shutdown is going to be legendary
I don't know how they are going to do it
but if I were them, I would start contracting a security guard, and checking my car bottom everyday

as I am writing this, there are 20 lawyers working day and night on any way possible to obliterate this projects or the guys running it

this is next level WikiLeaks tier trash, like when they charged Assange of rape, out of the blue

>what they're doing is legal.

>stealing isn't legal

they can't, emulation has been fully legal in america sense bleem

nope, maybe if they were distributing the method to crack it, or firmwares, but there is nothing legally wrong with emulation in america, the battle was fought and lost by sony.

till you win and counter sue, as you could very easily do because of case law, and the emulation battle was fought and lost by sony a long time ago.

Oh, btw, emulators may become a thing of the past if M$ has its way. See .

>implying they haven't been saving the money so far
nintenbabbies are THIS desperate to justify their shitty purchase

The heck? That thread's not dead. Let's try this.

I would have considered doing a switch emulator but now I think a thousand people better than me are going to do it which makes it less viable.

Meh, not like anyone can do anything right now considering the state of the switch scene at the moment.

Stealing is what most of the people using the emulator take the next step of doing.

As long as the emulator itself isn't written using stolen code(ie: the console's functions are reverse-engineered legit from scratch without a legally signifigant snippet of nintendo's own work,) the emulator itself is 100% legal to make and to possess.

They can even stop giving it away and sell it instead if they want to. Still legal if those conditions are met.

Stealing what, u apeshit?

Them advertising Nintendo games in their videos is probably not okay though. They are advertising their emulator with Nintendo IP.

If Nintendo sue them on grounds of stolen code, can the court make them reveal the source?

isn't it a team of like 3 guys or so? that's only about 13k/month per person. if you factor in taxes (they ARE paying taxes on this right??) and healthcare costs, software/server costs, etc that a company would cover, they're being paid about the same as an experienced developer would. maybe less.

What an incredibly thoughtful argument.

IP based on screenshots was one of the issues Sony got BTFO about in its case against bleem, actually.

law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/Sony_v_Bleem.htm

It'd be interesting to see it come up again with video, but it'd almost certainly be ruled fair use for the same reasons again.

Serious reply:
1. It isn't worth doing for the money. You can't do it alone unless you're a literal genius. Realistically, you'd have at least four team members, which means your income from the project would be

>Only $13k/mo

user that's an annual salary of $150k. For ONE software project.

This might come as a surprise to you, since you clearly live in you rmom's basement.
But there's this thing called living expenses that grown ups have to worry about

$500k a year split among a team?
They're not going to have millions in the coffers you manchild

yes that's a typical senior dev salary. you have to assume a good portion of that is going to business expenses, though. and the money will drop off a good amount once botw is decent enough since that's all these people really care about.

this

The thing is closed source, they can just milk the idiots for as long as they are willing to be milked by holding back fixes.

what programming job pays 120k$/year??

java backend engineer

>But since it's closed source, you can't know.
That's wrong as real life cases have shown it is possible to produce reasonable cause by directly examining the binary with all sort of analysing tools or perhaps just looking straight at the strings a hex editor spits out. The free software foundation does it all the time. Take a look at the ffmpeg homepage and their list with offenders and how they found out about it.

Web dev in SV.

A team of 2

Their team is two people and they've made excellent progress