RISC architecture is gonna change everything

RISC architecture is gonna change everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wPrUmViN_5c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Explain it to a pleb, pleaae

youtube.com/watch?v=wPrUmViN_5c

>RISC architecture is gonna change everything

I've been hearing that since the late 80's, early 90's. Still waiting for it to emerge.

>Pro Tip: It's just a meme

But you own a RISC-based device.

modern x86 is more or less RISC behind a CISC interface

>>>Pro Tip: It's just a meme

this.

it starts like that, then a decade later and you got extensions out the ass.

I own a RISC device that's not as fast or power efficient as my CISC device

Your mobile is much more power efficient than your computer.

Well it did, even x86 has been RISC for quite a while.

No it isn't. Intel gets more done per watt hour than ARM.

You are now aware that cisc has gone risc anyway

The pool on the roof is leaking

RISC-V is coming along well and the first microcontrollers based on it are pretty fucking great
It doesn't, there's a reason Intel couldn't get any kind of penetration on the mobile market, not even on tablets
Pretty much this
Though current x86 designs are too complex to be considered pure RISC designs, but the same can be said about current ARM designs

yeah, RISC is good

i have the dvd of this movie and the scene is named "Risk is good"

Yes, but they are talking about RISC architecture

all im saying is whoever put together the dvd was a retard.

Or it was a pun

"More done" is an imprecise measurement for a common user. If someone boots up their computer and writes a word processed document for an hour, prints it, then turns it off, then the more energy efficient processor did the same work for much less watt/h.

For a mainframe, server, etc. such ongoing quick calculation is important, but for a home user who's running their device off a battery the decline in computing power for the massive drop in electrical requirements is more than worth it.

What we should be asking is why something as hungary as an Intel chip is even present in home computing equipment at all.

>there's a reason Intel couldn't get any kind of penetration on the mobile market
couldn't they just make a non-x86 cpu?

They could. And they'd have a huge advantage witht their nodes and huge expirience. They even have an ARM licence.

But they don't. They'll probably sit on it till x86 truly fades away. Which at most will take another 20 years. And thats 'worst case' scenario. x86 isn't going anywhere fast.

>arm literally has mov %pc, $imm
amazing

They do, just not one that lends itself well to phone usage. The slot machine manufacturer I worked for 20 years ago used i960 CPUs in their top-end machines. We had trays of hundreds of them at the assembly stations out on the manufacturing floor.

Ancient meme

#notmyrodrick

AFAIK today almost everything is CISC, but with RISC underneath (complex intructions get transformed in their parts).