Which Side Are You On?

Which Side Are You On?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SsoOG6ZeyUI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pep8 says 4 spaces

I write all of my code in one line.

Three spaces is the only logical answer. Tabs' sizes aren't even standardized.

Why would they be? That's the whole point of tabs, you just set it to display how you want.

Can you mass indent/de-indent with spaces?

>proportional-width font
>π space tabs
get on my level

I use tabbed spaces
when I press tab, it adds 4 spaces

>proportional-width font

you mean mono space? dumbass

tabs for things that dont care about whitespace, spaces for things that do

Tabs

Space users should be gassed

Spaces because I'm a high functioning autist.

Any sane editor can do that.

no, he means the exact opposite of monospace

Anything more advanced than Notepad can do that

>frogposting in a bait thread on a peruvian cotton-spinning forum
>high functioning

>when I press tab, it adds 4 spaces
That's what "spaces" means in the context of "tabs vs spaces"

This. Pressing space 4 times vs tab once is fucking retarded.

this, my return key broke 10 years ago and i've been one-lining stuff ever since

4 spaces

no he doesn't
he was meme arrowing our same spaced font aka mono space.. and being mad at us for not using shitty "opposite of mono space" font

I know a lot of people who fucking press space twice or 3 times etc
they are retarded

I also convert every file I open that has tabs, into 4 spaces

tab sizes differ everywhere and it's fucking annoying

Tabs are elegant, allowing the abstract concept of indentation to be expressed in a consistent and unique way.

Spaces are degenerate.

>I also convert every file I open that has tabs, into 4 spaces
>tab sizes differ everywhere and it's fucking annoying
Stop forcing your shitty "holier-than-thou" opinions on everybody else.

It's not like they can't easily convert it back if they want to

So instead of just doing "set tabstop=4" or whatever the equivalent is in your text editor, you force everyone to go through the steps of converting and converting back every time they want to read/edit a text file?
You are a fucking asshole.

I use both and mix them together.

I work with people who use spaces. Some use 2-space tabs, some use 4. Our codebases are a mixture of all three styles, even different functions in the same file will have different indentation.

Nobody wants to compromise and give up their one true style. The boss doesn't care what the code looks like, he only cares what it does, so he doesn't want to step in.

If people just used tabs we could all view the code the way we want without forcing our retarded style on our coworkers.

>Tabs are elegant, allowing the abstract concept of indentation to be expressed in a consistent and unique way
Autism

It is objectively tabs.

I mean objectively. There is no way to justify otherwise.

Tabs are just a construct of spaces, you can't use one tab for indentation. Therefore you're accomplishing the same thing and the only the way you get there for one is more redundant.

>I can get the editor to add multiple spaces for me
It's still redundant, if not on the user's end. The file has twice as many (if not 4 times as many) whitespace characters than it would otherwise.

Even if this isn't a greater burden on the machine the premise still describes a fundamental philosophy in computer science and it has implications beyond itself.

>I like spaces more
Impossible. It's the same section of screen real-estate regardless of what you used to produce it. The only difference is what you used to produce it, and as said before what you use to produce it is simply a more redundant version of the other with no other potential outstanding features.

I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into the mind of an autist with too much time to think.

I don't force anything, faggot
you can easily force spaces into tabs if you want your stupid fucking shit to look how you want it

or just stop being retarded and use tabbed spaces like everyone who isn't an idiot and customize your space sizes

Tabs are more efficient. 1 character vs 4 or whatever. I need those bytes for other things.

I'm on the side where IDE converts my tab into 4 spaces.
Stop living in the past.

So spaces

I use 3 poop emojis and pre-commit hook to convert them into tabs.

*Pepe8 frog-o-ator

wo-woa
no user
stop it
NO
JUST FUCKING STOP
FUCK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!/¤(¤(!))

i write each character on a separate page

True masterrace.

Tabs.

Because when i want to de-indent a line, i have to press backspace once for every indent level instead of 3 or 4 times because some ass hat used spaces.

emacs

Are you literally writing your code in notepad?

>actual programming thread
>gets 4 replies (3 of which are meme answers about the most common knowledge even laymen would know)

>bikeshedding issue like tabs or spaces
>300+ replies

You idiots are so obvious and easy to figure out, it's almost laughable. How does it not hurt to be that retarded?

Why on earth would anyone ask an actual question about a programming problem here?

>programming threads on a Mongolian tapestry memorabilia forum

The focus isn't on actual programming questions. It was about retards who feel smart because they can participate in discussions like this.

>yeah bro, I can take a look at your code
>opens file
>his editor uses 4-width tabs and yours use 2
>all your neatly trimmed lines blow past the 80-char line

Tab indent, space align > spaces only >>>>>>> tabs only

2-space stabs are superior to everything else. They allow me to stay below the 80-character line limit on my PDP-11.

tab for practical reasons

in notepad++ you can highlight several lines and press tab or shift tab and it will add/minus tab to all the lines

also you only need to press it once

Modern editors can virtual space on tabs, and make spaces function as tabs. Functionally there's no difference. Editors can also adjust the length of tabs to suit everyone. Can't do that with spaces though.

Now it's easier for any piece of software to handle tabs rather than spaces, because a tab is a full indentation, while a space is only a fraction of it, and how much are needed for a full indentation is only known by humans.

Also a tab occupies one byte, when an x-spaced indentation occupies x bytes.

Tab is superior, but there'll always be people using spaces because "reasons".

I use tabs but codecademy says I should use spaces. There is an entire generation out there who will use spaces.

There is an entire generation that will attempt to develop advanced critical software in javascript.

Hotdogs

>program something with tab as 4 character width
>somebody looks the code in editor that has tab as 8 character width
looks disgusting and it's fucked the other way around too.
Either use only spaces or tab as 8 character width.

>he uses tabs to align

>tab as 8 character width
>tab as 8 character width
Literally only editor I know like this is notepad.exe

>04/2017
>80-char line

enlighten me in where the fuck does 80-char limit has any purpose today?

>he uses tabs or spaces
>code readability
I don't site with either
No space master race!!!

:set expandtab

/thread

>using retarded spaces
>not using 21:9 monitor on wordwrap
>not minifying the code as you write
>not using 1 line for all

Whatever my IDE feels like inserting. If you seriously give this much of a fuck about flavors of whitespace, you've got your priorities/concerns as a programmer all wrong

>Tfw practice a 110 char limit so I can comfortably work on the same code on a vertical rotated 16:9 monitor or side by side on a horizontal rotated 16:9 monitor

I tend towards tabs for C style syntax and spaces for functional languages such as haskell

Tabs to indent. Spaces to align. That's all you need to know.

So much this. Everyone else should just kill themselves.

New Sup Forums banner?

Having a line length limit (not necessarily 80) prevents you from having to scan your eyes really far to the right for long lines, and allows you to have multiple windows of code set up side-by-side

Tabs

Anyone using spaces should kill them selves.

Tabs set to two, and three tabs per indention.

4 [spoiler]tabs[/spoiler]

Tabs. Anyways, even if I used 4 spaces I'd still not like python's indentation, even if it looks "cleaner" with less brackets, ain't beauty in the eye of the beholder

There's a reason why pages in books arent retarded wide, it's easier (less straining, not less difficult for you autists) for humans to read somewhat narrow columns. Also allows you to put multiple editor windows side by side.

>Not using ide that does this shit for you.
I bet that you open a curly brace on the line with function definition.

A-user kun... I've never felt this feeling before.

In my heart, I know you are right.

Tabs, in an ideal world, would be the best solution.

Why is it shit?
90% of editors do not support setting their widths.
Practically no editor I know of has tab STOPS, which is good for lining up stuff that is non-code, or strings of comments on the edge of a large segment of related code, or similar.

So, you can only set what the tab KEY does in most editors and have to manually align shit using tabs and spaces, and if you aren't using monospace, enjoy your fucking autism screaming inside as that one line is off from the rest of the lines.

gg, code editor industry, you autistic fuck-ups.

Who gives a shit

can't you set your IDE these days so that when you tab it automatically inserts 4 spaces? what's your excuse?

>using spaces

I am a sane person that uses whatever convention is already in use in the current file/project.

4 spaces occupy 4 bytes, while on tab occupies only one
you should think twice before deciding to use spaces and increase the drive space used by indentations by a factor of 4
this wasteful mentality just for the sake of being different is what is ruining modern software
>what's wrong with a simple chat program occupying 2gb of disk space, runs in 500mb of ram and using 30% cpu
>what's wrong with using a mobile layout with oversized buttons and 50% wasted space for the desktop version of our site
>what's wrong using spaces instead of tabs
pricks

You little shit

two spaces. the UNIX way.

>implying spaces get translated into the machine code

>not storing source cod on his computer
found the nigger who gets involved in programming discussions but never wrote code

Why not both?
1 int f(int x,
2 ......int y) {
3 --->return g(x,
4 --->.........y);
5 }

Just use both, tabs for indentation and space for alignment.

Tabbed 4 spaces;

>three
either two or four.

I store my cod somewhere else.

The reason why this is the local optimum is:
- spaces align continuation lines
- tabs let you customize how much indentation you want
- is space efficient (i.e. less useless bytes)

>59763255 (You)

Binding tab to 4 spaces in Vim.

>he's too stupid for compression

youtube.com/watch?v=SsoOG6ZeyUI

Is Tabs the Thinkpad to Spaces Macbook?

The 'I don't even indent my code' side