Watercoolin General

Does anyone have any experience with EKWB kits? They look a hell of a lot sweeter than AIO coolers. Would the temperature difference make up for the price difference?

My 7700k is too goddamn hot with an h110i. On stock speed it idles at 30c and at load hits 75 unless I blast the fans to max. Would it be better to just delid the fucking thing?

don't bother with watercooling if you don't want to delid your grill

l e a k s
e
a
k
s

I'm not opposed to deliding. Just lazy and scared because I'm a fag.

With EKWB stuff? I thought it was supposedly quality. I was looking at some swiftech stuff but they pretty much all leak apparently.

Their Predator AIOs were having issues with the CPU block leaking or something.

R Y Z E N
Y
Z
E
N

>takes up more space
>more prone to leakage
>if you're a noob you'll definitely fuck something up
just get an AIO

Watercooling is the ultimate meme. Spend 200 more than necessary so you can have tiny delta increases, to shove excess voltage to your cpu for performance you will never notice.

Spend the money on something worthwhile, a monitor for example.

If you don't take my advice, it would be worth buying the extra pipes and fittings for a drainage port to make the maintenance a little more bearable.

>EKWB kits

overpriced as fuck
A proper CPU only loop is £300-ish, while showing marginal improvements over AIO's for £100

>more prone to leakage
this

it's a constant maintenance nightmare
you can't just plug it in and leave it for years, unlike even shitty AIO's

or just a better cpu from the get go.

>Does anyone have any experience with EKWB kits?
Yes
>Would the temperature difference make up for the price difference?
No.
> Would it be better to just delid the fucking thing?
No.

Water cooling's real advantage is the best 24/7 performance while also having the ability to be near silent if built for it.

As for the delid do not do it for a 24/7 thing. It's far too finicky and there's no good kits to reglue the IHS properly.

Best advice I can give is decide if you want performance or reddit tier garbage that is there for looks up front. If the former all the infotion has been known and proven since the early 2000s. For the latter just copy youtube shitters like jaystwocents, linus, etc.
>meme
How to spot underage or reddit.
They're the only high quality water block manufacturer left. The others are meh at best. Swifttech for example works but is far from high quality.
>leaks
>maintenance
Non issues if you're competent.

>calls underage
>little girl anime poster

Grow up you autistic peado.

>silent
>water
lel retard
enjoy your pump buzz

>anime
K, underage.
>lel
K, reddit

Good thing you've conclusively proved your retardation and others won't have to waste their time correcting you now.

What case do you have and what part of the world do you live in?
The h110i is a decent cooler, your case prolly has shit airflow.

Watercooling
Pros
look cool
customization
lower temp

Cons
Prone to leak and potential kill your whole system. more maintenance

>Not leaving your pump outside
>Not using geothermal cooling

>cpu at stock
Found yer problem. Probably has .2v more than it needs under llc which is where your temps coming from

>K, reddit
K, reddit

dont
this this>meme
bus still, thisso much more you could spend the money on, that will be useful to you outside of benchmarks. Or just buy nothing and put it towards the next build.

If you water cool you're going to push the oc harder and temps will still spike because no solder, you'll delid, then want to push to the edge now that the shackles have been lifted and risk frying your cut up frankenprocessor.

>delidding isn't for 24/7
>far too finnicky
Yeah, how dares he to get the same temperature difference for free as he would by spending $300! Outrageous!

Try again in English this time.

If you couldn't understand what he was trying to say I've got bad news for you...

He seems to be saying that deliding gives the same temp reduction as you would from an air cooler to a custom loop and for free. Both claims are wrong.

as you would get/gain/*insert verb here* from an air cooler*

Really depends on how much you value money.
I'm pretty easy going with spending tons of cash on my computers, my loop probably costs more than some enthusiasts computer alone.

He seems to be saying that deliding gives the same temp reduction as you would gain fuck from an air cooler to a custom loop and for free.

Nice sentence, Paco.

> Have 7700k
> Delidded no flashy shit just arctic mx-4
> NH-D15
> 5GHz comfy

Don't get jewed twice op.

So you delid your CPU and left it compromised for next to no benefit? Intel's tim is near identical to MX4. Any increase in temp is probably from smashing your IHS in the die.

Intel's tim is nothing remotely like mx4. It's more like 49c from banggood/aliexpress than mx4.

and temps are down not up.

Try reading my post again.

>Intel's tim is nothing remotely like mx4.
It's long life TIM with very good performance. I wouldn't be surprised if it is MX4.

>It's more like 49c from banggood/aliexpress than mx4.
Idk what this means.

I agree, it's been known since Ivy was launched that TIM isn't the issue. The gap that the silicone sealant around the edges of IHS creates is, as that creates a thicker than optimal bonding layer between IHS and die. People use liquid metal instead of conventional ones because they don't pump out after multiple thermal cycles, not because of marginally better thermal transfer.

Results vary, but it's anywhere between 10C and 25C.

I realize how some spastic might screw it up, but if you're patient and take your time it's fairly risk free.

The dies on these CPUs like the 7700 aren't supported enough to have the weight of the cooler on them. Creating an airtight seal around it is also a horrible idea and creates thermal pops. The risk of damaging the die on the install if it's not flat or moving the PC around is there also.

Deliding the CPU is just a bad idea all around for long term use.

And those metal based TIMs have terrible usage life. When exposed to air they begin to corrode.

Define long term, because I have a 3770K and a 4790k, both running delidded for a bit over two years. As for TIM longevity, I haven't even removed them from the socket after delidding, because I haven't noticed any difference in temperature from day 1.
There was that whole hubbub about thinner substrate on the newer CPUs being bent, but I still have my doubts it wasn't a combination of using bad mounting hardware and retard strength when tightening down the screws.
Not saying you're wrong, just would like some further reading on the topic, because OCN is full of people with stories similar to mine.

A stationary PC it's probably fine. I would never want to move it though. Look at how the heatsinks on a GPU are installed. There's a reason there's that much support. And GPU coolers are significantly lighter than CPU ones.

More of a you can get away with it but you shouldn't do it. Skylake and later CPU's being as thin as they are is a real concern for delids.

Short of dropping the case I don't think moving it will increase the lateral force enough to cause damage.
I'm curious just how often do you move your PC?

All the time to clean.

You can just put the IHS back on after you apply TIM, just use silicone gasket maker and leave an opening. Afterwards clamp it down in the socket and leave it for about 24hrs or so. Just make sure that you don't use too much silicone or you're right back at square one.

If your computer requires the same kind of cooling as industrial mining equipment you need to rethink your life.

You need a shim and it's pointless aT that point.

Don't need a shim: black silicone gasket maker is the same stuff intel uses.

What if my computer requires the same amount of power as a welding equipment?

You need the shim to get proper height,

A little late to this thread so whatever. I run a swiftech radiator, ekwb gpu block, and some generic high rated cpu block in pic related. Have never had a leak. Most i get is murky water.

I have absolutely no space left and had to get the gpu block to make room to fit the 5tb drive. Would not recommend watercooling if you needed it for anything other than a) sound reduction or b) better cooling for a tight space. Ive got a 970 in this thing and im looking to upgrade to a 1080ti. That means i need to buy a $600 gpu and the spend another $100+ on a waterblock. Then i have to somehow get someone to pay more than average for my 970 so i can rid of it, its gigantic fans/heatsink (which just sit in a box in a closet), and the waterblock. Draining this thing is also a hassle but luckily only a twice a year thing.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this too but the most expensive part of my setup was the fucking fittings. God forbid if t
You want a certain color or need to create some weird bends. $15 - to $20 for every connection.

Really, unless you have an actual need for watercooling you can save yourself hundreds of dollars and the hassle.

Corsiar 780t, I'm getting those temps with 18-20c ambient temperatures.

delidlake

OP here, I'm a little surprised at all the negativity about water cooling here. Definitely was expecting the opposite.

>there's no good kits to reglue the IHS properly.
I was just going to send it into silicon lottery and have them do it for $50. I figure I'd pay close to that in a kit anyway, might as well have it done professionally.

Unless you delid 7700k there is no reason to better cooling since it can't transfer temperature properly.
I delided mine, 30c at idle is irrelevant, the good part is that I can run with quiet fan profile at 5ghz max 65c

You'd get better performance if you dunked your MB in liquid nitrogen and OC'd it.

You are some kind of special retard don't you?
Everyone delliding relid the die, the procedure is due to lower the gap.

Also what about metal Tim oxiding? You are just dumb or don't know chemistry? It's basically indium gallium alloy, and you will find the same on Intel hedt and ryzen solders

They do a pretty good job, but I gone the rockit delid kit it's pretty staight no issues got -20c on load.

The main competent is gallium which corrodes like mad kid. Do a simple fact check before running your month and shouting retard, reddit child.
Indium also corrodes like mad.

The rest is corrosion inhibitors.

>fell for 3-Way SLI meme

>And those metal based TIMs have terrible usage life.
Nice myth. It's false.

>using shitty fittings
kek..have a watercooled system in use since 6 years and never once had a spill

outside of looks, what other reason would anyone use two reservoirs?

my little custom ek one with my ryzen. honestly op, its a meme. for the low price of $300 i chopped off 7c compared to my $80 d15s. yeah 7c is a decent amount, but it came at a very high cost. you're better off just grabbing a d15 type cooler unless you fell for the small form factor meme.

my current build. i ended up selling my ek parts and using the savings for a new case and ssd.

and before anyone says "hurrr silence!" this isn't 2004 anymore. just pick up cheapo pwm fans and run a nice fan curve in the bios. you can find $10 pwm fans these days. $80 for the d15 + ~~$50~~ in fans = ~~$130~~ of silence compared to $200 - $600 in water cooling parts for similar silence.

I have the Ultra Rogue m925 case, what would be some good AIO water cooling solutions?

>h110i
Why do people buy this meme cooler? The NH-D15 is fucking huge but it performs better and is probably much quieter.

He is running a CPU loop, and a separate loop for the GPU's.

Got my watercooling running on a separate radbox. Ghetto rigged a car radiator for it. At first I had the radbox in my room but the ambient temps felt raised considerably. Then put a stronger pump and set the radbox on a different room. Feels great now.

>replacing god tier noctua fans with muh leds
if they're ugly you can paint them, there is a technique that won't add meaningful weight on it

lool, 850w psu for a single card and a few hdd.

>gallium in open air
>indium in open air
>long lifespan
Choose 1.
That kit is hardly the end all of water cooling, kiddo.

fell for the meme in 2013, sold cheap in 2015 because I was tired of fucking with it.
I fel you user, mine is all arctic pwm fans except the intake and the PSU is the loudest thing at idle. It doesn't get much louder under load. In long gaming sessions the gpu fan can rev up sometimes, but never loud enough to hear over normal volume.

I see a lot of people using water cooling as a crutch for poor airflow and pressure.

I put the NH-U12S on my 1800x, Idles around 40°C