Running non-free software on your wrist

>Running non-free software on your wrist
Why do you do this? Asteroid OS exists for a reason…

Pic related. LG G Watch running Asteroid OS.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=&search_subject=&search_username=Anon2205&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_res=post
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>running any software on your wrist

>Following the rules of the manufacturer
>Not making your watch work for you

Cuck.

>wearing a watch

>Donald Trump
>Open source

How's that destroyed privacy from your neocon in disguise?

>Wearing a smart watch of all things

Asteroid OS looks like shit wtf. What exactly is wrong with Android Wear? It's bad enough as it is, and you want to run some shitty software with even less features on it?

>Living in the past

>Wearing a dumb watch of all things

It's a closed-source virus and tracking software that sits on your wrist. Not gonna lie, though, the Fossil Wear devices are sexy. Unfortunate they have no USB input.

Ah yeah, but the wireless charging is in some ways better than the wired counterpart. And I'm afraid that having a USB port on this thing will make it even thicker. Had to compromise. I don't care about Android Wear as my OS though. I mostly run my watch in airplane mode. It isn't even paired to a phone right now.

/thread

Well the LG G (pic related) charges from small pins on the back and sitting on a base, and that has input/output through USB. At least just having an alternative way of charging that presents a way of allowing modification through USB would make me happy… Closest thing to a fancy smart watch with a pretty round face like Fossil's is the LG Urbane, but don't feel like spending a pretty penny.

God tier

I do use an A158 for work… Guess where my band came from for each.

I actually had the G Watch before. Problem with that is the corrosion on the bottom pin. It's impossible to avoid. Good thing I got the Fossil watch for free when they launched it here in my country.

>Drumpf
>against encryption
>against privacy
rly made me think

I just love that metal band design, because you can actually adjust the length of it but it tends to be a bit heavy desu. How is that A158 doing? Is it actual metal?
>pic related
This is a A168 copy and DW5600 copy. Both of them have o-rings.

Disgusting taste desu

I haven't seen any sign of corrosion yet, I surely hope that isn't a normal thing... How did something like that occur for you? And that's also neat, how did you get it free? I would be disappointed just because of the software it runs but they're worth a little bit of cash for sure. Was in a Fossil store a few days ago looking for a new band and they lined the walls with those motherfuckers.

I supported him mainly because of his rival, Hillary would have been much worse for western culture. Oh and he was really funny to watch. Wasn't a fan of his privacy policies from the beginning but Hillary had everything else going against her... A literal criminal.

Yeah I really really love the band the Stainless A158 came with, hence why I put it on my "weekend watch". The band that came with my LG G was disgusting, and even using it on my A158 feels gross on my wrist, not very comfy... The A158's face itself is plastic, backside is a stainless plate. I did hear about the Skmei's actually having a metal face, do they keep time well? Wouldn't mind buying one given they're cheap as shit, just for that metal face. Could even swap the innards out for my real Casio if I wanted, assuming they fit.

Thx.

B-b-but user, I don't.

>Casio digital metal band
>drumpf
>Unironically strapping a botnet to your wrist
JUST

You can adjust the length on any metal band you retarded brainlet

The corrosion has to do with the metal they use in the pin. It literally just oxidizes and rusts. I owned a first gen G Watch and it corroded bad, but it still worked. Then I bought another G Watch after I sold the first one because I missed it. The 2nd one supposedly had a software update that minimized the use of the last pin to minimize corrosion but it still happened, thought not as bad. It happens if you so much as perspire a small amount, even if you don't notice it at all or feel you're sweating. It's really inevitable, just try to clean out the pin every time you see it by wiping it. And don't keep the watch on your wrists at all times.

I'm a tech reviewer so I was at the official launch and they gave us all watches, I think we were 50 in total.

Looks ok, but still in alpha so crashes and limited features seems kinda meh.

>do they keep time well?
Briefly said, no meaning that you would be required to sync it with time.is every month or second month to stay reasonably up to date with time. Common trend for this 1123 was that it lost 1,5-2 seconds to each 24hours.
You can find more information on my experiment on the archives with name "Anon2205" or "digital watch user". I'm not sure did the watch get a bit better after tightening the screw allowing the battery to get a better contact.

I want to note that according to this manual (casio module 1253, or Databank DBC-300 from '94), accurate should be ±15 seconds per month at a normal temperature.
Here is link, so you can see it for youself.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=&search_subject=&search_username=Anon2205&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_res=post

do you wear a cape regularly? that looks pig disgusting.

Wrong people desu, but yes I know this, I have other watches that I don't use with metal bands, but they don't work anything like the Casio metal band. Also, Asteroid OS is NOT a botnet, I can modify every aspect of it.

I'll keep an eye out, then, thanks for the forewarning, definitely don't want it messing up, just got it and it's been a fun development experience! Sounds like you have a fun job btw, getting free handouts of cool gadgets like that. If I ever feel like upgrading I will for sure be getting something that looks like what you've got, but of course with input/output because I just can't stand Android Wear... If they open-sourced it I'd gladly use it but that doesn't look like it's happening any time soon.

Doesn't crash during normal use for me, but restarting and shutting down fucks up for me, I generally just use adb to reboot it and that works fine. For being Alpha it's pretty damn stable.

Damn that's really bad... Mine's lost maybe 4 seconds in a month, so I guess I got a slightly better one than normal. I took mine apart and back together, but I didn't know the module made contact with the back casing. I only tightened it to make sure it'd be water-resistant enough for my job.

I wish, but I'd look silly in public, and my girlfriend would probably disprove. ;)

>Mine's lost maybe 4 seconds in a month
N-NANI?!? MASAKA!

>digital clock

Hello virgin.

Holy shit do smart watches look like shit. Just spend 1000 bucks to buy a Maurice Lacroix or something like that, and then you'll have something which lasts for your whole life.

Watches are gay. Just use your damn phone.

I wear a digital watch and my girlfriend and I fuck every time we're together.

There are more traditional looking smartwatches available, such as the LG G Urbane. Also, spending $1000 for a watch you can't make work for you and have to conform to the manufacturer's wishes seems like a waste!

If you want, sure.

Good luck using that during conscription fag

>more traditional looking
That's why I wrote to buy a traditional watch, a real one. Not these little toys which break in 2 years.

Again:
>spending $1000 for a watch you can't make work for you and have to conform to the manufacturer's wishes

Absolutely disgusting, you shouldn't be on Sup Forums unless you praise the idea of running a full GNU/Linux distribution on your wrist. Neo-Sup Forums baka...

Pardon me? Asteroid OS is available under a GPLv3 license, it's completely FOSS. There are some features that require non-free kernel drivers if you want access to them, but otherwise this software is completely independent of that! Nothing is forcing you to make use of it!

This is freedom

Before I can get libreboot type software to my smartwatch, otherwise to the trash it goes.

>not sailfish OS

dumb frog posters need to go back

A watch is not something to "make it work". You don't buy it to check the time but as the only jewelery a man can wear. That's why it has to look good and not like these cheap toys. Conform to the manufacturers wishes, what do you even mean by that?

Watch desktop thread?

Omg it's jordan!! I have a pic saved of you wearing your watch! You should switch to Asteroid OS!

It says it's impossible on my watch (moto 360 2nd gen)

fucking nu males

I really want smartwatches to get better and to take off. If you can use your watch to change songs and adjust volume and see the album art on your watch without needing a volume control on your headphones then it is good enough for me.

The Spotify app on Android Wear has all those features

WOW LE DRUMPF BTFO DRUMPF DRUMPF DRUMPF!!!!!!!

Aw man, that's a shame. The moto watches look awesome but Android Wear is a boner-killer.

Asteroid OS does this, minus volume dontrols which I hope to implement on my own. It's a work in progress.

Go away botnet, shoo shoo.