STILL RELEVANT

STILL RELEVANT

who here is /CORE2/ and why the fuck is it still so beautiful???

>cheap as fuck
>great for day to day tasks
>can even handle light gaming if needed

fight me ya cux

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_k4b6Q3uMdo
youtube.com/watch?v=ecV58s36sRw&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=ecV58s36sRw&t=7s
reuters.com/article/us-semiconductors-demand-analysis-idUSKBN15B0UM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAM_price_fixing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>"light" gaming
Will corelets ever learn

I keep the guts of an old Core 2 Duo system boxed up in storage in case the urban market ever decides to go shopping at my place. Like you said, it would be plenty to get me buy until insurance pays out. I don't even use PCs for video playback anymore so it's not like I need much performance from it at all.

This makes me wonder: which was the year/generation of hardware that gave us systems which to this day are still perfectly serviceable? I'm thinking it was around 2007. Core 2 processors, DDR3 RAM, good hard drives.

>get me by
That was embarrassing.

My old Q6600 build is still happily churning away at my parents' place and handling everything they throw at it admirably. Probably going to be put out to pasture when I next upgrade and hand my current system down to them unless I can find a use for it, but it's had a bloody good run.

fuck you Sup Forums

E8400 master race reporting in

>shitposting
>torrents
>media server

it just werks

>not buying phenom II
better price, better overclock
same performance, farr better platform which is still being updated today (can have usb 3.1 C and a phenom II these days)
literally retarded if you spent more on both motherboard and cpu on core 2

Except you literally don't need more than 2 cores for the vast majority of things. My 2 duo can even handle The Witcher 3.

what is this 2007

you can snag a shit mobo + core2duo/quad/extreme for like $30, maybe a little more/less

this isnt a phenom thread pal

Q8400 reporting
>HD movies
>SC2
>ripping & torrenting
it werks wery much

E8500 in here. I still use it because AMD64, 8GiB RAM, and it has 6MiB cache.

it was when dual cores came out
quad cores cemented this is the last cpu you need unless you game/professionally do shit

Possibly the 920 or andy i7 cemented itself as the multimedia cpu without the need for hardware decoding.

tfw downgraded to an a10 from an e6750

my macbook pro has a c2d and it just works

>tfw Im on an 8400 and can't play 1080p 60fps youtube videos in firefox without it stuttering or freezing every 5 seconds
Feels bad

x5470 is still relevant for 720p gaming
damn

T2390 here, slow as balls, but enough for shitposting and chink cartoons

Should i get a Q6600 for my optiplex 755 SFF? It has a E4400 or E4500 in it right now but the spec sheet shows it came with the Q6600 as an option.

and why would one not simply buy a g4560?

SLACR, M'ALAY

A big part of what makes Q6600 so good is how well it overclocks, so your board will probably limit it quite a bit. Also it is pretty old at this point, so might be better to just invest that money into something more modern. Still, if you can find one cheap enough I'd say go for it.

Core2 or Athlon 64 x2 and anything later than that pretty much.

>cheap
They are under $20 on eBay. I call that cheap m8.

>flash bios to newer version
>remove old shit cpu
>replace with Q9650
>?????
>profit.jpg

OR

>pull out old shit cpu
>buy old xeon x5450
>mod motherboard to accept 771 xeons
>use based 771 xeon because fuck 775 IPC

thats assuming your motherboard has a P43/P45 chipset though

dont think that xeon mod worked on any other chipset

>one click downloader firefox extension
>play file in MPC-HC with MadVR
werks

alternatively try h.264ify if you use firefox/chrome and see how that works out

Still using my Thinkpad T500 with a T9500, bought new in 2009 for university. Literally the only thing I run into day-to-day that gives me trouble are the 1080p YouTube videos. Seems that the ATI card does not help with those.

Speaking of the ATI card, I quit gaming years ago but it does still make quick work of older titles.

i'd say that is a fair assumption

still see plenty of core2 systems in colleges/high schools alike around here

if not that, then definitely when LGA1366/LGA1156 rolled around. plenty of those systems are still up and running, and provide excellent usage

i mean shit, my x220 has a 2520m and does just about everything i need it to do with no signs of slowing down

1150/1151 is overrated meme shit

I had my C2Q Q6600 until a year ago.

Replaced it with a 5820k that I got from Microcenter for $290.

phenom is just as cheap dumbass
also at the time of release phenom was cheaper as was its platform
not even mentioning the fact that still seeing huge boosts from dx12
something core2 isn't seeing.

>buying q6600 when chinked low voltage xeons exist

Had a Q9400 as the spare system a couple months ago. I however wanted something a bit newer and sold it to initiate the process of buying parts for an LGA 1366 system. Couple months later I had the 1366 core components ($30 for a NIB DX58SO, $50 for 2 i7s and a bunch of ram for it (one was to flash it from the release bios to the latest bios), and lastly $60 to get a decent Hex-core).

I am gonna miss the 775 system though.

>not using a sticker-modded Xeon
Do you even Penryn?

my nigga.

turn it into a rendering farm

buy an old quadro to throw in there, and just render 3D dicks smacking eachother and upload it to youtube

Q6600 in my bedroom, even does most games alright. if I ever upgrade the i5-3570k in the living room, i might finally get rid of it.

Sadly i ran out of funds. Most of what I had that went into the 1366 system came from selling the C2Q. Adding in a quadro or tesla compute card would require a new case and a new power supply, as the current case is a shitheap and the power supply is only adequate for a 4ghz core overclock and a slightly overclocked GTX 460.

The Q6600 isn't relevant when that same motherboard you're using it on can run a $50 Xeon that's considerably better

need more 12v rails boy
need more amps son

get an XFX psu, fucking love those little bastards

also
>gtx 460

i can smell the fermi housefire from here user

>buy an old quadro to throw in there

No

Quadros are a waste of money for anything but Hollywood level production. They are not only entirely unneeded for hobbyist/self employment level work, they're a gigantic money sink and actually substantially slower rendering per dollar than a consumer GTX card.

Quadros power comes from scaling, and no hobbyist has 15 $6000 GPUs in a home render farm.

>My 2 duo can even handle The Witcher 3.
being able to boot into the game menu doesnt count as handling it

460 isnt the housefire, 460 was actually the good first gen fermi card. Its everything based off GF100 that were the housefires (GTX 480, GTX 470, GTX 465).

Besides, if I'm going to make this machine a compute rig, it will either be an OG Titan, or an AMD card based off the Tahiti die, as both have pretty good compute performance.

I'm still on this workhorse, runs most of my day to day alright, can play most games reasonably. I really cant ask for much more than the 9 years I've got out of it.

K E K
E
K

>not Q6600
The best processor ever made

youtube.com/watch?v=_k4b6Q3uMdo

It also handles relatively heavy gaming too desu.

>render 3D dicks smacking eachother and upload it to youtube
why?

>that stuttering
>GPU probably at 60-70%
It's only good for 4k gaming where you put the whole workload on the GPU and run at something like 30fps

>handles relatively heavy gaming
My Q6600 and R9-290X could barely manage a stable 25fps in Dark souls 3.

there's always better xeons for less, which fit 775 with easy mods

>complaining about stuttering in gamebryo games

>save up that miniscule amount of money that you'll have to spend anyway due to energy inefficiency of older architectures

You guys are retarded. Within several months you're literally spending more by using one of these old ass CPUs overclocked to house-melting temps.

i just bought an x200 and immediately flashed libreboot

feels good man

>still has better single core performance than Poozen

Really makes you think.

L5420 is better than Q6600 in every way and costs 8 bucks on aliexpress.

6 months of running a Q6600 at full load 24/7 will cost me 20 bucks.

savings don't matter unless it's significant
in most cases I can save more power by just remembering to turn my monitor off than spending $300+ on a upgrade to save 10-20w on idle

This. Also, you are in a tech board and probably spend a good part of your time on your computer, why can't you save some money and get good hardware? Just stop spending everything on McDonald's

I have a q9200 rig laying around that I just dont have the heart to get rid of
It just sits though

the biggest problem with the older processors is finding a motherboard capable of DDR3, and even then you're better off spending money on a system that can do DDR4 because of how expensive DDR3 is in comparison.

I don't know what the fuck happened to the memory market but it makes me realize that the best investments seem to be having motherboards that can accept older Xeons and ECC RAM.

I wish I would have bought an EVGA SR-X or similar board back in 2013 and just upgraded from there knowing what I know now about the CPU market in 2017.

>q9200

Q9300**

At $0.11 per kWh, it just isn't really an issue.

The Q6600 has a TDP of 105w.

105w 24/7 over 1 month is ~78 kWh.

At $0.11 per kWh that's about $8.50 per month of 24/7 use.

And almost no one is running their CPU at full load 24/7 anyway, so this is a retarded extreme circumstance that would be unlikely to occur during actual use.

>ddr3 is expensive

Second on that. I even upgraded to a six core for the low price of free.

also just sperged out in a uni class while typing this post.

I've done horrible things to them.
youtube.com/watch?v=ecV58s36sRw&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=ecV58s36sRw&t=7s

>>>/reddit/

I bought an i5-6500 a few days ago, I'll soon have to leave the cool club :(

Electricity is cheap as fuck my dude. Are you poor?

Can you post the detailed score? Just for comparison

How much better the system would perform with DDR3 ram over DDR2? Currently I have a LGA 775 Asus P5B-MX motherboard, but can only do up to 4GB DDR2 ram. Although I could put a Core 2 Quad Q6600 in there (currently has a Core 2 Duo E4500).

Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz
8GB DDR2
SAMSUNG HD753LJ SATA HDD

Lol

2008 baby

Yes 100% the biggest problem about all of this is motherboards

There's a million Xeons sitting out there for super cheap

Thanks user

>7.2 with DDR2
>while I get 5.9 with DDR3
Shouldn't have cheaped out and bought those gaymen RAM

>How much better the system would perform with DDR3 ram over DDR2?
Not enough to warrant swapping the mainboard. And if you need more than 4 gigs, you should probably consider changing the platform entirely.

>Although I could put a Core 2 Quad Q6600 in there
If you can do a few simple manipulations with your BIOS, don't. See

>$4.40/GB
>not expensive

are you retarded?

*should have bought game RAM

...is it?

I mean, before the flood it was cheaper, but production has mostly moved on to DDR4.

Why would you expect it to be dirt cheap like it was back before the flood?

that's all new memory
used stuff on ebay is $2-3/gb
cheapest ddr4 is $5.94/gb

I didn't even get gaymen RAM, just the cheapest 4 sticks of 2GB each

Really? What brand and model?

breh just get hynix ram on ebay, cheap as fuck for 8gb 1333mhz

>ECC
why

>4 sticks
Is 4-channel a thing?

>Why would you expect it to be dirt cheap like it was back before the flood?

I don't, I'm just saying it's too expensive for what it is. If the flood didn't happen then PC sales probably would have stalled even further because DDR3-based systems still have so much life left in them.

It almost makes me think they did it on purpose or something.

reuters.com/article/us-semiconductors-demand-analysis-idUSKBN15B0UM

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAM_price_fixing

>ECC

are you an idiot? ECC is always cheaper, read my prior post

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8600 @ 3.33GHz here

Have to agree, I updated to this one a few years ago from a weak Core2 Duo. Don't really need more cores as most applications I use are single threaded and IIRC the quads have lower single thread performance.

I plan to upgrade this year but it's mostly because I have money to spend. The 8GB of RAM served me well.

2 sticks of Aeneon (Infineon) DDR2 from 2008
2 sticks of Corsair XMS2 bought used last year for 20€

2x2 channel I believe

to be precise:
Aeneon aet860ud00-25dc07x
Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5

yes...

My main desktop is a Core2duo E6550 (overclocked to 2.8GHz) and I've used it since the end of 2007. I'm planning on building a new PC with Ryzen this year.

Do the bench please, I think I'll just get a cheap q6600 instead of a i5

Holy shit, Acorn phoebe. I wanted one of those. Too bad they were cancelled

Which core2duo processors where the last that didn't have Intel ME (eg. backdoors which runs on a separate chip, connects your PC to the internet below OS level and can't be disabled)

They all had ME from what I know

That shit need more watts than a GPU, unless your mom pay for your shit you should get a new processor

>still have core2quad
Who needs central heating when your CPU can do it for you?

This was why I upgraded to my 5820k

The encoding time on my Q6600, even when OC'd was just getting too fucking long.

Pentium D here, can confirm Sun is for plebs

I was E6400 >master race from about 2006-mid 2011. Now in storage.

Still use my Thinkpad T60 that originally came with a Core Duo but I swapped it out for a Core 2 Duo I picked up for like $15.