RMS BLASTS UNIX, SAYS SYSTEMD IS ETHICAL

DAMN, HOW WILL UNIXFAGS EVER RECOVER?

ANTI-SYSTEMD KEKS BTFO! BSDFAGS BTFO!

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/fogus/1094067
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Stallman is pretty reasonable, I like it

rms doesn't give a shit about the quality of software so long as it's libre.

Explains why GNU software is insecure and bad. GNU's Not Usable
>GNUMales will defend him
and I'm a fucking communist too, I support the free software ideology but GNU is shit

UNIX philosophy is a god damned bug sold as feature because their operating system had small virtual memory space.

Quality doesn't matter for morals where the license does.

His comment about libre software was about morals. His comment about UNIX was about quality.

Whats systemd and why should i care

Windows 10 doesn't have this problem.

wtf???
I love systemd now!

wtf I love rms now

vir/g/ins BTFO

OP, you're good at writing the same type of clickbait headlines as the MSM.

>I was never a supporter of the Unix design philosophy.
>RMS BLASTS UNIX

Unix design philosophy is in large part just common well-accepted software design principles.

Can we kick Stallman off of the Sup Forums sticky already? Only the newfags still think the meme is funny.

+1 for Terry "CIA NIGGERS" Davis on Sup Forums sticky

wtf i love rms even more now

Terry also uses and likes systemd

Admins are planning on banning hate speech on blue boards before Q3 2017, so I don't see that happening m80.

The problem of not tracking everything you do? :^)

For a reason GNU means GNU IS NOT UNIX.

Because Unix is a proprietary trademarked OS.
And GNU is free.

>HOW WILL UNIXFAGS EVER RECOVER?
Easy.

Stallman is a total retarded autistic morbidly obese red commie Atheist pedo leftist.
Proof: He unironically believes free software will solve botnet issues.

GNU isn't Unix for a bunch of reasons.

1. The Unix spec requires strict compliance, which GNU does not conform to unless tools are specifically compiled to do so.
2. Unix certification is expensive, and needs to be done on a distro-by-distro basis.
3. The certification really doesn't mean much today. GNU/Linux installs very likely outnumber Unix installs, and it all boils down to essentially a mostly meaningless trademark.

As for the first and third point points. The default installation of OS X doesn't technically conform to the Unix spec either. It needs to be specifically installed to do such.

+1

You say "red commie atheist leftist" as if it was a bad thing.

(You)

UNIX philosophy is essentially just another word for modularity

> I was never a supporter of UNIX

I never GNU that

Any piece of shitty software can be ethical: just add a LICENSE file with a copy of GNU GPL3. That doesn't make the software any better... reason why "I have never used systemd".

Gentoo doesn't have this problem.

Source?

ok

why would we expect anything else of him?

if it's FLOSS, Stallman approves of it. if it's not, then he doesn't. that's usually the full extent of his reasoning.

and seeing as he has never used systemd to begin with, it'd be silly for him to pass judgement on it to begin with.

Stallman uses GNU Shepherd.

WTF I love systemd now.

WTF, I ... already love both RMS and systemd as much as humanly possible.

kys you fucking faggot

Seems... unlikely

Linux Is Not UniX
Doesn't even know what he's talking about.

Great day for OP to be a daggot.

>DAMN, HOW WILL UNIXFAGS EVER RECOVER?
Unixfags are BSDfriends and dislike Stallman and GNU in general
>and I'm a fucking communist too
Stallman's not a commie my senpai
Friendly reminder that Pinochet ruined a country despite being supported by the US and getting rid of all the commies
Chile didn't recover until sane people took over from the Chicago fuckbois, and Chile didn't took off until Pinochet lost power from that referendum

>Stallman's not a commie
He supported Komrade Sanders for president and went 200% Twitter on his polnote page when Trump won. He is a commie.

>He is a commie because he didn't love the privacy hating Trump
gb2r/the_donald
Sanders was the only candidate that didn't drop out early and had reasonable views on technology and privacy
Trump did everything he could against privacy and freedom, he might had killed TPP but he's redoing it without CHAYNAAA in the new NAFTA

It not stallman fag it the entire libre movement. Foss does give a shit if it is better or worse. OSS are the ones that market collaboration makes software better

Sander may have had reasonable viewpoints on technology, but "FREE SHIT LMAOO XD" is not a good economic policy and the latter is vastly more important to the survival of a nation.

>Stallman is pretty reasonable
Stallman is almost never reasonable.

>Foss
Don't you mean "FLOSS".

Fuck this commie fatso neckbeard. Linus for Sup Forums mascot NOW

He has huge explanations on his site, you're talking shit

What makes you think that the BSD people hate systemd by default? Sure, the implementation is flawed and far from ideal, but the idea behind it(already explored in SMF and launchd that came long before systemd) is good. It gives you contexts of execution and exposes various things in a nice and unified way. I'd like to see a service management system in FreeBSD(and the fact it's already being developed says I'm not alone). That being said, the implementation of systemd should have been a lot better than it is.

I appreciate a lot of what Stallman has done for the FOSS community. I respect a lot of his views (even some of the more controversial ones). However, one thing I don't respect is how he handles anything which he perceives as criticism. I watch him in interviews and he always goes into an autismal fit of rage every time he thinks the interviewer is about to disagree with him (even going as far as to get visibly angry and cut off the interviewer before he has a chance to finish his sentence). Also, if he is so concerned with ethics, then maybe he should go on a fucking diet, considering that the leading cause of environmental destruction is agriculture (primarily livestock and crops grown to feed livestock)

Linux can't even figure out how to install Debian. He said himself he doesn't use it because it's too hard to install. What a fucking retard.

Better start a war in the Korean Peninsula to cover up how shitty of a job Trump is doing!

>i hate systemd
>i really just need something to focus my anger towards since I'm really a faggot
>not interested in any of the myriad of opportunities to improve free software projects

linus literally just lives in a terminal and uses build tools. probably uses firefox too.

I don't think that's quite true. Last I heard he was running openSUSE on his macbook.

>What makes you think that the BSD people hate systemd by default?
Poettering making the Linux kernel a hard dependency of systemd and other stuff like GNOME making systemd a hard dependency
The GNOME debacle got a lot of people really mad back then, eventually the BSD community fixed the issues though

>I was never a supporter of the UNIX design philosophy

That explains the clusterfuck that is the GNU coreutils, at least.

Richard doesn't know how to install it either, he has somebody do it for him.

Well Linux isn't a BSD and BSD has nothing to do with Linux other than the KPI compat layer. There's lots of very useful things on various other systems that don't even have a viable counterpart on Linux, and the Linux devs accept that just fine.

are you upset trump won? did you laugh at trump supporters before he won? not laughing now are you, now you're just bitching. must suck. thank him for killing the tpp like you said he wouldn't

((( )))

can't believe no one mentioned this at the top of the email

Those are [ not (. Go back to plebbit, you can't even do memes properly.

Blake Obama for forcing some high-profile anti-privacy bullshit right before Trump took office. Wouldn't have even been on the table had the democrats let the bush-era anti privacy laws die, and didn't push stupid shit like he apple case

>I was never a supporter of the Unix design philosophy
Explains why fucking GNU Emacs is so insane and cumbersome

Whether you like the Unix philosophy is entirely a matter if opinion. Stallman might as well have said that he likes olives on his pizza.

lmao Repubs control both houses and the executive branch, yet you guys still blame the Democrats for everything.

>Better start a war in the Korean Peninsula
The whole reason that Trump is talking to China is to keep the Hermit Kingdom, along with other shit. Also, North Korea isn't even a threat objectively. They do these PR stunts every couple years, even when Obummer and George W Botch were in office. The Kims are effectively waving their dicks and pretending their big shit, when even China and Russia were bigger threats, to the point that we actively have bases surrounding the former USSR

Also, nice deflecting.

How is this worth a thread? For whom wasn't this clear before? How is this something extraordinary?

ooh ooh I've got one
>Dumbhole Turnt

Someone please remind me what's wrong with SystemD? Prepare to be told you don't know shit over what you'r talking about.

He said he's never used it.

The original email that generated this response was probably stupid as fuck; it's not unethical to use low-quality software, why would you even ask him if it's "ethical"?

he named it so give credit to UNIX but to also distinguish from it
>from one of his talks, maybe in greece

>literally states he has never used it
>literally states he doesn't even like unix philosophy
>he says it is ethical because it is free

>Criticism[edit]
The design of systemd has ignited controversy within the free-software community. Critics regard systemd as overly complex and suffering from continued feature creep; they claim that its architecture violates the design principles of Unix-like operating systems. There is also concern that it forms a system of interlocked dependencies, thereby giving distribution maintainers little choice but to adopt systemd as more user-space software come to depend on its components.[60]

currently fedora on xps 13

It's the google play services of Unix

Trading convenience for freedom is not for GNU.

Guy is fucked up in the head. Too much freedom has corrupted his ability to reason.

Freedom comes at a great price. Just look at America.

the same thing as always, forced dependencies. its whats wrong with most okayish linux projects in general nowdays

terry davis is an even bigger forced meme than stallman and is a sure sign of a newfag

Doesn't Temple OS runs systemd?

>clusterfuck that is the GNU coreutils
[citation_needed.tiff]

While I don't think systemd is evil and wrong, and do not feel the need to follow "unix design philosophy" with religious fervor, for fuck's sake don't base everything on "RMS says so".

>Doesn't Temple OS runs systemd?
No Terry just runs Ubuntu so he has systemd.

Although if someone ported systemd to TempleOS I would give them all of my sheckles.

gist.github.com/fogus/1094067

Unix was designed for shitty 1970s mainframes, it was never supposed to be some holy pinnacle of OS design, yet the circlejerk over it has continued unbroken for almost 50 fucking years.

>Proof: He unironically believes free software will solve botnet issues.
I do believe that too?

Stallman grew up on ITS and Lisp machines so obviously he is not going to care much about Unix.

>ascii helicopter.png
"ASCII"
You're an idiot.

>it was never supposed to be some holy pinnacle of OS design
Nothing ever is, really. From time to time things aim to be, but fall way short of the mark. In the case of Unix, they just made what they thought was sensible, and it turned out to be a pretty solid foundation. It wouldn't have gained the traction it has if it wasn't pretty good to begin with. But it is not perfect.

You're not wrong about the circlejerk over it though, and there are definitely some adjustments and evolutions of the ideas that better suit modern computing than the old way. The best way forward isn't to stick to The Old Unix Way like it's a set of absolute commandments from God, but neither is it to abandon everything about the Unix way just because Unix is old; it's to use Unix as a basis and improve bits and pieces of it.

Kill yourself.

As if having the source code will prevent skilled computer engineers who work for the governments to hide botnet code. Heck, how many people can actually read through the whole source code of a modern OS (approsimatively 2 mlns lines of code, and complex code too) and understand it to the point that they find if there's something that, perhaps in some stealthy-side effect way, steals data?

As long as it's not vim, he dislike this one.

Stallman also thinks diddling children is ethical

> Proof: He unironically believes free software will solve botnet issues.
He said that free software can be botnet.

It depends on what kid wants.

Stallman has basically never been concerned with software design issues, so I'm not sure why this is considered surprising now.

>Unix philosophy
This is basically just that you let users deal with building software. Which is a mess. It's for lazy developers.
I'm happy to see that there's people that dislike it.
Modularity tends to imply there's design around it. Usually that's not the case with people who subscribe to Unix philosophy. They're just strongly coupled components you link together. With the exceptions of libraries explicitly made to be built into other software.