Language Acquisition

Who here is learning foreign languages? Better yet, who's doing it for fun? I'm learning several right now and I am in the mood to discuss learning strategies and methods for maintaining fluency.

Other urls found in this thread:

rooshv.com/language-hackers-and-polyglots-are-full-of-shit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You have to change the way you think in so-and-so language. Normally your thoughts are typically in English, well start thinking those thoughts like so

You MUUUST watch a lot of tv shows in O.V. Really helpful.

Learning Russian for fun. Don't know why and don't care, I just think it's an interesting language.

Snymmeht keh slnuhm znolkah sno kemfeh dulc Divolm. Kem zhasikzheh metfeh dulc Divolmvmeh dolnah keh zloahkahm Telzlnoln. Znim Telzlnolnvah gulslimumsun Jidolk keh jelkzhutumsun Shelsheln. Sehvmeh zathelndin navnyc, Jidolk keh Thefam sholmak, Telzlnoln znolcfeh Zatheln. Vaslnulmfeh Telzlnoln keh simemzhutfehsun Divolm zult, Jidolkvmeh zhetam znolcfeh Kizhult. Zhuhzhuhmfeh Kizhult zlovmeh kizhultdin seln dehahvmeh Sajem Tan fmyvuhkfehjahk. kizhultdin dathnycfeh Thefnolm. Dehahvmeh Sajem Tan zhejulnmunfeh Thefnolm tyk zo vesneneht zlo shasholcfeh fnit xyt duahkahm. "Kasynsho sin duah Sajem Tan shasholcum xyt dehahvmeh molm taznoln" tanzlulcfeh xyt duah duldoltfeh Thefam navnyc Vithit.

>Learning swedish
I know it's a useless language but i'm doing it for fun.

Currently getting in some modern Irish via duolingo.

>2016
>not using runes

Polish?

>learning a language
>fun

how do i brainwash myself into thinking it's fun studying flash cards for hours everyday

Learning Dutch, Swedish and German. English I don't have to study at all anymore but I still had it in school blarghs, that was fucking useless. Dutch just sounds fucking rad with all the throat gurgling, sounds like you are suffocating when you speak it I think.

Swedish is mandatory in school for me, fuck Swedish for that but I still try to learn it as well as I can. Changed my view on that after like 5 years and I'm finally trying.

German just because it's a lot like Dutch and I can basically get free course clears in school for taking it and I can understand German texts. A lot of more specific studies etc are only in German so that'll be useful later.

Watch TV and read books, whatever is enjoyable.

Hur går det med livet?

Inte så bra
Calm down i just started learning

I'm learning Norwegian for practical reasons. I also recently started learning a little Latin, but I'm probably not going to keep at it for too long

You have to live and breathe the language to maintain fluency.

Tôi nói tiếng Anh một cách tự nhiên, và tôi đã được học tiếng Việt trong ~hai tuần. Tại sao? T khổng biết, nhưng tôi yêu nó!

Shit. Messed a little bit of that up. Stupid Viet keyboard.

Read this: rooshv.com/language-hackers-and-polyglots-are-full-of-shit

Going off of that, I find that physical flashcards are a lot better than things like Anki or Memrise. Less stress. Practice what you want, when you want. Physically writing down the words helps, and I feel like I'm better focused when looking at the cards and not a monitor.

My tips:

>Take classes, a good teacher can save you a lot of time
>Get a lot of exposure. Listening to the radio is great for that and it will help you no matter what level you're at. Listen to the radio while you commute and stuff like that.
>Related to that, try to get exposure from different sources. You will never learn certain vocabulary if you stick to watching the news and reading the newspaper. Watch children shows, watch the news, watch the weather forecast, read different books.
>Despite what many people say, learning the translation of words instead of just reading a description in the target language is useful, you may have to translate stuff for other people at some point

>You will never learn certain vocabulary if you stick to watching the news and reading the newspaper. Watch children shows, watch the news, watch the weather forecast, read different books.
This is good advice. I know some people who can speak professionally in a foreign language but know very little colloquial speak.

>You will never learn certain vocabulary if you stick to watching the news and reading the newspaper. Watch children shows, watch the news, watch the weather forecast, read different books.
Yes but you also don't need certain vocabulary if you don't work in that field/aren't interested in that kinda shit. Just get the vocab you need and when you get to a higher level learning new vocab won't be that different from learning new professional vocab in your own language you wouldn't know otherwise. However colloquial language is very important for communication so you probably want to learn that.

Learning Norwegian currently. Everyone thinks I'm a complete fucking retard, since I live in Australia and it's nowhere near Norway, but I like it and will study there in the future. And anyway, I figure I probably have norse blood since my pre-Australian family are from Orkney.

i recommend Japanese language.

Japanese language is most characteristic and flexible and efficient language.

> ワイトピッグゴホム!
Bon voyage

>タダイマ

I'm just brushing up on my afrikaans. I'm considering learning Spanish next.

Hoe gaat het? Je kunt toch wat Nederlands verstaan?

I'm learning japanese [spoiler]to read Dies Irae and Muramasa[/spoiler]

if you are already fluent in at least one other language then: self-study > classroom study

Why's that guy so angry about autists. They can't help themselves quantifying everything, writing stupid rants such as that one won't stop them.

Because many of these "autists" are just scam artists selling false hopes and dreams to impressionable polyglot wannabes. They deserve to be exposed.

I thought he was talking about people studying idenpendently. You're right though, scammers deserve to get fucked.

most people that propagate the "fluent in 3 seconds" meme are trying to sell a book or a subscription to their website.

Ek is goed en jou? Ja, ek verstaan baie.

Does anyone know if it is possible to learn two languages at once?

It is

Leuk, het gaat goed met mij ook. Hoe veel spreken mensen Afrikaans als tweede taal in Zuid-Afrika?
Just got points from my English final exams, 283/299 points. Everyone above 267 points were in the top 5% and got the top grade. Pretty satisfied with my score.

I've been learning Spanish for the past ~2 months mostly using Duolingo. I'm really loving this website, and taking my time to do a LOT of practice before moving on with something has been working well. I love how it just lets me practice and practice and practice until something becomes second nature, without having to make a conscious effort of remembering.

However one point of gramma I just can't get to sink into my brain is the Spanish "Personal A". I can write a sentence, and then look back at and it say "aha, that's where the 'a' should go", but I can't imagine how I'll ever learn to insert a meaningless non-word into sentences on the fly. Does not using it actually impede understanding by Spanish speakers? (because its use trips me up endlessly, since I naturally parse it as a meaningful word).

if you are gullible enough to think you can get fluent in a foreign language in a really short time, from home, and without hard work you deserve to be tricked because you are bloody idiot.

Bump for Sajem Tan