/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread: Richard Stallman Edition!

Other urls found in this thread:

x360ce.com/
wiretuts.com/how-to-use-x360ce-emulator-with-pc-games/
shopineer.com/laptops/Acer-Aspire-E-15-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Full-HD-Notebook
askubuntu.com/questions/481840/removing-specific-part-of-filename-whats-after-the-second-dash-for-all-files
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
f.lewd.se/pVcwAU_wewlad.mp4
sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/bugs/226/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is Cloudflare okay for just hosting your dns zone file and not proxying anything? Or is it still a MiTM?

I'll try to make this brief:

I have a Hori Game Controller I want to use to play games on my PC. Some games don't recognize it, some games recognize some of the buttons, and some recognize it totally.

Okay, so my solution is just, fuck native controller support I'll just use JoyToKey for everything. Except for some of the games that can partially detect buttons and causes conflict with Joytokey

Is there a way to have my controller not be recognized by games, or to completely emulate it as a Xinput so I can have a uniform setup for all games

This probably made little sense, sorry

if i write this "while (i < sqrt(n))" in c++ (n never changes)
will it solve "sqrt(n)" every loop?

are ps/2 port keyboards any different form ones that connect through usb?

Did a quick Google search and found this.
x360ce.com/
Give it a try, it could work.
Let me know if it works or not.

Not at all, same thing.

I tried this as well as xpadder.

The problem is the game that Im trying to play natively recognizes one of my controllers buttons as the "back" button, and cannot be changed. So when I press the button 4 and it does a double input with what my emulator program (x360ce/joytokey/xpadder) says, and what the game natively reads it as

I wish there was a simple way to just tell the game "dont pay attention to the controller at all", let joytokey handle all that shit.

wiretuts.com/how-to-use-x360ce-emulator-with-pc-games/

Did you try this?

Sucks man, have you considered buying a new controller? An Xbox One controller is pretty cheap.

Is there a free as in freedom analytics tool I can use on my website to get information about where in the world people are visiting and shit?

I do have an x360 controller, though the dpad leaves much to be desired. The one I have (Hori Turbo 3) is damn near perfectly ergonomic

I'd rather the controller just not be recognized that way I can emulate it fully, or it be fully recognized so I can just use it normally

since it's stuck in between it just leaves me fucked

I'll check out that site though in case I missed anything on x360ce that can help, thanks

This would be an infinite loop. The value of n won't change after each iteration

No problem man, and those are valid reasons to not want to use the 360 controller.

The Xbox One controller has a much better d-pad then the 360 one.

Aspiring web developer working on a project for my portfolio. I'm making a library that gets all the data on a youtube video given a url (including the information needed to download them) that I'm going to stick on github, then make a basic web app that utilizes the library to provides a download of the video/audio. In order to figure out how to do this (which urls give what data and how to parse them for the data) I dissected a library of somebody who already did it on github. Now that I'm writing my own library I feel as though it is too similar to the library I gathered info from; I don't want to just copy and rehash their code but that's what it's feeling like at this point. Problem is that there isn't really any other way of doing it. What should I do?

How much faster is this Intel Optane SSD if compared with a Samsung NVMe SSD 960 PRO?

Why is does installation wizards recommend me to close all other applications before starting to install?

hey anons what do you use to get rid of all of the windows 10 spy shit, before i remember i used aegis voat but that link doesnt seem to be working anymore
any ideas?

Greetings Sup Forums,

Math student here looking for some guidance. I've read this countless times, that compilers assemble better code than humans, but I would like to see an example for a simple script. Where or how can I compare a hand assembled code for something simple like a script that sums integers from 1 to n with an automatically assembled version of it? The programming textbooks I have all seem to focus on extremely high-level concepts which is annoying since I want to start at the lowest levels and work my way up to the high-levels not the other way around. As for background, I've read Goldstine's the History of the Computer (twice), watched some walkthrough's on reading disassembled code comparing it to the hex and binary, and I have actually written some calculator scripts in python. I've even drawn a half adder diagram all by myself. Amazing, I know.

Also, I am aware that asking for help instead of figuring it out myself goes against the "programmer's ethos", and if no one wants to help that is fine because I am going to figure it out anyway, I just thought I would ask in case someone was in the mood to shed some light on how computer programs actually work. I know you're out there ;-)

Have a surface norm as my offering of gratitude.

W10privacy

How does information travel through the internet, and how are you tracked or monitered. Also is tor actually anonymous.

shopineer.com/laptops/Acer-Aspire-E-15-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Full-HD-Notebook

Can I beat this deal? All I need to do is add more RAM. My goal is just 1080p smooth YouTube playback in Firefox, under Windows 7 or Linux, with scissor switch keys on a keyboard with a normal US layout for the main 60%, and a touchpad that won't make me hate myself.

depends from the compiler settings/optimizations
usually the result is stored and I tried to disassemble a small program just to be sure

- if compiled with -O0 flag, yes it is calculated every time
- if compiled with -O2 flag and n is defined at compile time the call to sqrt does not even appear
- if compiled with -O2 flag and n is a volatile variable sqrt is computed every time
- for the general case I've seen only one call to sqrt, but maybe this example is too trivial

How do I change system language in Antergos or any other arch based distro?

What are some good vpns?

I need a good, free VPN for my phone. It doesn't need to be great just enough to allow me to get past my school security without being plagued by pop ups

does keepass uninstall itself or something when a new version is released?

I started using it a few months ago and just check it today and the folder for it was in my program files but the application was gone and the installer said that the file for the installer was missing even though I was using it from where it said it was missing.

im a bit spooked rn

With Sup Forums X, there's the little download button to save as the original filename.

Is there a way to set the download button to save as the Sup Forums filename instead?

I'm on Gnome 3.something. How do I make the Applications and Places button to use icons instead of text?

Interesting question, for which I have no answer - try asking that in /dpt/

I'm currently helping my old ass uncle import his MS outlook archive file onto his new comp. I keep getting prompted for a password, but in typical boomer fashion he forgot it. Does anyone know of a way or program to bypass pst file passwords that doesn't cost any shekels?

Is there a way to remove one language track of audio from an MKV file and leave everything else intact (video and subtitles) using ffmpeg in the command line?

>external HDD is making clicking noises and is being really slow all of a sudden
What the fuck is going on?

Why does tmp/dbus need so many data streams? Are all distros this bloated?

Bought pic related since my old HDMI cable broke. I can use the PS3 just fine with the TV using it, but for some reason the PC won't detect the TV.

Any ideas?

Windows detects my game controller fine and the axes look normal in the controller calibration screens, howver certain games I run have the analog stick inverted for some reason (even in menus, up is down and down is up. makes no sense and I know it's not normal)

Is this a defective controller? Or is the game bugged?

How can I mount a hybinated windows 8.1 hard drive in Linux?

Your school probably blocks most vpns

It's about to shit the bed

Is Richard a frustrated molester? It appears that way in this photo.

Do torrents for windows 10 pro iso usually come with ms office or are they a separate thing?

Does Gandi still show the user's real name in the whois even with whois protection on? If I don't want my name associated with a domain, would Namecheap be a better option?

OK boys and girls(male). This is where I'm at. Short and sweet, I live within 15 minutes of a Microcenter. Pic related are the deals I can get. It seems the more expensive the Ryzen CPU I buy, the more money they take off of any compatible motherboard for the bundle.

The 1700 gets me $50 off.
1700X and 1800X get me $100 off.

The difference between the 1700 and 1700X is $20 and change, so that's really a no brainer and I'm just showing it for reference. My question is this. Is the 1800X worth the extra $100 over the 1700X? Do I gain anything other than an XFR boost of 4.0ghz rather than 3.9ghz? Is the stock cooler any better?

It already looks according to reviews that the 1800X doesn't overclock any better than its 1700X/1700 brethren.

Motherboard is the Asus ROG Crosshair. I know you can't see it in the pics.

>'run-parts --test /etc/cron.hourly' shows the script
>The script runs fine by itself
>Commands run in it is in cron's path
What am I missing?

>move to new apartment
>its in a house and uses the owners wifi set up
>owners say they're gamers and have a good wifi set up for it
>sure whatever
>connect to it
>802.11n 2.4hgz
>2017
>wew
>oh well, should still be enough for casual gaming
>NOPE
>literally 500 ping constantly to all game servers, even those local to me in Vancouver area
>upgrade my wireless card since I've been on wired for 5 years and was using a old one out my parts bin
>no change whats so fucking ever

What the fuck do I do? This apartment is great, super cheap and super close to where I work, everything is great apart from this ungodly awful internet connection.

I'm 99% sure the issue is one of these;

1: The owners have 2 separate networks, since the SSID of the one I am on is called "wifipublic".

2: The owners have security cameras about the place which I am thinking are on the network. I bet they're killing the connection.

I need advice because I don't want to move because of the fucking internet connection but I am seriously considering it.

edit: I suspect that for "wifipublic" they're using shit/legacy/free telecom gear, which is why it sucks, I should have mentioned.

I'm using youtube-dl to grab some music

Project 46 - Stars (feat. Haley) [Monstercat Release]-BztNCFFddcI.mp3
youtube-dl -w -i --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 --audio-quality 0 o "%(title)s.%(ext)s" --verbose youtubelinkhere.com

Here is a file output and command used, why do I get random text at the end of the name?

How do i setup a socks5 proxy on firefox mobile

talk to them about potentially getting a new router. Something with AC capabilities. Also no matter how good or bad the router is, if the internet connection and speed they're getting to the house is shit, the router won't make a difference.

gnu public license v2 means I'm able to mangle the thing freely for whatever purpose right?

That I can delete every attribution and everything and use it for what ever.
What precisely does gnu public license v2 mean?

How long should a disk check take for a filled up 4tb HDD? I had an errored file according to qbittorrent so I started a scan for bad sectors but it's been 3 hours and it finishes one file every 30 seconds or so.

Is that normal or could something be wrong in addition to the errored file?

Sorry. I meant GPL V3.

Not sure whether it matters

I'll bring it up yeah. But wireless N shouldn't be this fucking unusable. I'm 20ish feet from the router and only a wall away. I doubt a AC router would fix it if they are grogging their network down with their ~le security cameras~ despite living in a virtually crime free area.

disk check on 4TB will take quite a while.

Are you talking about the video ID?
askubuntu.com/questions/481840/removing-specific-part-of-filename-whats-after-the-second-dash-for-all-files

That's the ID in the youtube URL.
There's no '-' before the 'o' in the '-o' option, is that just a typo here or part of the actual command you're running?

• Create a Web page that displays at least 4 products and their associated prices for items in a store (the store can be a jewelry store, sports store, bakery, book store, toy store, etc. - you choose the store, the products, and their prices - you can also include images of the items).
• Use a prompt box to ask the user which product they want to order, then ask how many of that product. So two necklaces at $10.00 each is $20.00. Display the item and total on the Web Page (not an Alert box).
• Use a loop and prompt box to ask the user if they want to purchase another product (accept both upper case and lower case Y for an answer of yes).
• Once the user replies=N or n (Any other character is an error and the user is asked again for a y or n) to this last question, your code will send the variable containing the subtotal all of the merchandise to a JavaScript function.
• In the function, your code will add to the subtotal 8% sales tax. So for example - the page would display 2 necklaces at $5.00 each = $10.00 and 3 bracelets at $7.00 each = $21.00 subtotal = $27.00 Sales tax = $2.16 Total sale = $29.16 (of course make the output look like a receipt - dollar signs and two decimal places - use the toFixed(2) function used on page 120 step 6).Your code should accumulate the total in a variable and display the item purchased after each product is entered -so again an array does not need to be used.
In the function, your code will also use the shipping table below to add to the Total the shipping charge (shipping is determined BEFORE tax is added to the total - so use the subtotal to check for shipping)

how do i get to a bootload screen on a sony vaio, i want to choose which usb drive partition to boot from

Turns out sh can't into arithmetic.

Well fuck, it still doesn't work. It worked wrongly a moment ago.

Cron sure is weird.

What is this for? TV or Internet?

Yeah, I'm using windows, so I am trying to find out how to remove it in the command line parameters.

youtube-dl -w -i --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 --audio-quality 0 --output "%(title)s" --verbose

I tried this, does not seem to work.

there is a -o, must of forgot to update it after I copied it.

both

are you sure? i've never had to do a physical set up of a network because im a software cuck. I know this is the stupid questions thread but I feel like I'm being way too stupid even for here.

(if possible i'll just buy my own router/modem and set up my own hard connection to bypass my landlords garbage tier wireless N but leach off of their telecom bill still lul)

Had to run 'run-parts' without '--test'. Seems obvious now, lol.

Installed some new Rom on my phone.
It gives me an error No sd card found.

Try to root it, I can't as I can't get into recovery mode.

Please help

Why are you going around installing random roms? Anyhow, it may be a fucked rom if that's the error you're getting. There's a couple fixes, but as far as i rememember many of them include formatting the sd card. Try searching the playstore for a mounter, that sometimes fixes it, but might require root. you can also root it w/o recovery mode.

It's Ressurection Remix.
I think I can format with SP flash tool

Looking into other ways, the mounter you sugested, thanks.
How root then? All I get is shitty root apps in playstore

nope mount tools not working, as soon as I try to enter an app it stops running, doesn't enter...
Same with the given file manager, it won't open

What's a quick and easy way to convert MP4 to a .webm file, for someone that knows nothing about any sort of video conversion?

gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

What are the option to obtain internet access in the middle of nowhere/ or in case government shutdown communications?

Will this let me set the file size / bitrate / and remove audio?

I need to take something I recorded off my phone and post it on Sup Forums

do i need to go through a registrar to register a domain name? I thought i didn't need to but i dont know who to contact ICANN about it (are they the only people who look after this thing?)

Im using ff Nightly and for some reason after b i restarted my browser, when i type in something to search for in the address bar, it wont search for it. It will only accept actual site addresses. How do i fix this?

i want to stick things all up in my m2 slot. are there any options except storage and wifi

I'm trying to write a batch file that will scan for then upscale a batch of images. I have that part done, what I need to figure out next is how to have it examine the now upscaled images, select the ones that are smaller than a 1080 resolution and move them back to the other ToDo folder to run again. It would continue this loop until there are no images left to upscale. This is what I currently have.

#!/bin/bash
PATH=/opt/someApp/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/home/user/torch/install/bin/torch-activate
. /home/user/torch/install/bin/torch-activate
cd /home/user/.Waifu2X
find /home/user/Upscaled/ToDo -name "*.png" -o -name "*.jpg" > image_list.txt
th waifu2x.lua -m noise_scale -noise_level 1 -l ./image_list.txt -o /home/user/Upscaled/Done/%s.png
# rm /home/user/Upscaled/ToDo/*.* #Disabled until I can get the rest working.
rm /home/user/.Waifu2X/image_list.txt
exit

As it sits, this works if I manually move the files around and run it time and time again.

why does my brand new fnatic rush do this thing with the v key? its like an extra bump

f.lewd.se/pVcwAU_wewlad.mp4

Every time I consider my

>dead battery
>finicky to the point of being unchangeable 99% of the time USB port

tablet which now can't charge because the battery has been 0% for too long, I worry someone could repair it, crack the encryption, and therefore have access to my already logged-in google accounts. I believe I've googled it before and heard it was possible, but how possible is it for someone to crack android encryption?

I read that the most likely crack method is reading hotpsots on the screen, to determine most likely keys used in passwords. I don't want to one day find my tablet gone and have my accounts compromised indefinitely. Not even only google accounts.

In hindsight I hope I can just buy a replacement battery, open the thing up, replace battery, boot then format. If I'm paranoid enough, I should just do that. Maybe scrape the screen away anyway though so I can still use the password elsewhere...

Still using a 60hz monitor despite having a very good PC since I just upgraded. What is a good monitor to get and where is a place to get a good price on it?

hire a satellite from the chinese

some kinda cable definitely, non dsl

I'm just preparing for the worst.
I don't need high speed just enough to send e-mails.

what exactly are people doing to their kodi installs that allows them to watch tv for free?

what do you mean non dsl?

I'm getting my feet wet in android development. First time developer just getting started. What channels can I use to 'get the word out' on the alpha version of my first app?

How do indie devs get people to know about their shit?

Where are user profile images stored in my Xperia M5?

Maybe change google password?

What should I use to pull a disk image off a very old system (OG Pentium, 128 MB RAM, Win98SE etc)? Clonezilla would be the obvious bet, but I just get whined at with the error
>microcode: Intel CPU family 0x5 not supported
and it promptly kernel panics. I've tried a couple versions that implied support for old µarches, but no luck.

tvaddons.ag

Is it an IDE hard drive? Plug it in some older hardware then.

USB has a higher CPU overhead. This shouldn't matter for most people.

>non dsl
how so, it could be vdsl2

That is a coaxial cable jack. That type of cable can be used for TV or internet depending on how you want it to be setup.

The only other system I have is strictly SATA only, and for added fun the drive I'm trying to image is a SCSI unit. I suppose I could pull the controller and try to get it working on my new rig, but it's a goddamn massive pain in the dick and being able to do the imaging on the old rig would be infinitely faster and more convenient.

I do have a couple of other options I'll probably try, but I figured I'd ask here before burning some more coasters.

Which Clonezilla ISO are you using? Some of them support non-PAE

sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/bugs/226/

I initially tried clonezilla-live-2.2.4-12-i486 since I had that lying around, and I also tried clonezilla-live-2.3.2-22-i586 as per the thread you linked. Both give me shit about CPU family 0x5 not being supported and the init subsequently shitting itself.

Does it matter what u2f key you get, since those range from 7$ to 50$ - do the cheaper ones die more often or are less reliable regarding the security etc?

it is routed through their servers, so obviously it is still an additional man in the middle you are adding to your chain

> loading backup DVD on my laptop
> power goes out due to fucking tree limb falling on the power line
> try to eject DVD
> "please wait while we close the session so the disc can be used on other computers"
> sits there and makes whirring noises until battery dies
> fuck
> power company fixes line
> recharge laptop
> try to load DVD again
> cannot read the disk because file structure corrupt

Okay, how do I get at my data?

G HELP ME

PC randomly turns on and off

when I make it to windows weird flashing squares happen

WHAT DO