Why are (((they))) making VHS' again?

Why are (((they))) making VHS' again?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/04/facebook-in-numbers-statistics
youtube.com/watch?v=uhY9Zxv1-oo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

use the tape to hang yourself

Fabricated nostalgia for Gen Z kids who were never acquainted with just how shitty VHS was.

People still own VHS players?

The video has a warmer tone, and it being analogue means there's no data loss.

Why not Betamax, babby hipsters.

laserdisc anyone?

kek

Such nostalgic vibrations of spinning a cassette on a bic pen.

>Couldn't help themselves from putting "Netflix" on the front
Fucking marketers I swear

Hipsters. The show is entirely about 80's movie callbacks as I understand it.
I don't think any of them mind the inconvenience. They view it as a novelty. Most won't even play their tapes I bet.

I used to do this

I don't know. That's pretty retarded. The show is much better in HD.

>PAL shit

most of those are props sold by third parties, they don't play shit

The fuck are Gen Z kids?

a whole season can't fit on a single VHS tape

kids born after the 2000's

capitalism

Think he means gen y. There's currently a bit of debate on what to call the next generation. Gen Y and Z are the main ones thrown out. The age range is usually from the early 90s to present. Marketers have stopped trying to make the millennial group as large as possible so the extreme ranges that went up to the mid 2000s are now cut way back to make gen y seem profitable to market to.

But really anyone with common sense saw that gap coming since early 90s and later is the generation that grew up with mainstream internet/social media.

Muh nostalgia, same reason as Vinyl.

That was literally made by a redditor as a bit of fun. kys faggot op

-music plays-

Generation Z is "post-millenials", the generation that is currently growing up watching youtube and netflix on tablets

>But really anyone with common sense saw that gap coming since early 90s and later is the generation that grew up with mainstream internet/social media.
I dunno man, there's again a gap at the late 90s (or maybe at the start of the 00s) when the people really grew up with really modern internet.

Late 80s, early to mid 90s still started using the internet before it was quite like it is now. Forums and chats rather than centralized social medias. Downloaded shit from the likes of limewire rather than watching netflix and spotify on tablets. I think this is a genuinely pretty big difference.

I think the really wide "millenial" generation really makes sense tbhbbq. That is, that is is something like late 80s to late 90s or whatever it was.Maybe mid 80s to mid 90s would make even more sense, I dunno.

this
nothings worse than sitting down to watch sum cartoons and the vhs tape is too dirty to play and you are out of cleaning solution

If by own you mean buried in a closet, then yeah, I have one.

the fuck did you to your tapes?
I still got tapes that I watched a million times as a kid that still work and they never had to be cleaned.

(actually, wasn't the "real definition" of millenials = people born in the late 80s, 90s who still remember 2000? so it actually wouldn't include late 90s anyway)

because the show is an homage to the 80s

Facebook started in the early 2000s. If you were born much past 1990 you're born into social media not the old internet.

this, they became kinda shitty at some point tho, some became plain unwatchable

my tiny TV with a built-in VHS player started killing the tapes at some point tho. that really sucked. every watch was a gamble.

old house in the countryside = dust

eh, it didn't become popular right away. there was some social media, but it wasn't everything like it is now.

I remember people in my country started to really use it in 2009, 2010-2011 is when it really blew up. after that you were a weirdo or being a nuisance if you didn't use it. but def not before 2010.

>shitty VHS player
maybe that's the reason
We had a really fancy Blaupunkt VHS recorder

(note: my memories of the exact years might be wrong, but this modern social media didn't become the universal thing it is now much before the 2010s or late 00s. even if you were born in 1995, your first experiences of the internet wouldn't probably be modern social media)

We're not talking about the roots being laid here. By the early 2000s social media was set to blow up to what it has become today. Large reason to that was the huge jump of homes with internet in america. I believe Nielsen says it went from something like 20ish % in the mid 90s to over 80% by 2002.

If you're talking about something outside of America it's irrelevant.

I guess I'm just out of touch. But I thought forums, chats and such were a bigger thing at least until 2006-2008. There's a pretty big difference between "that internet" and the modern, centralized facebook/twitter/etc like stuff. So the cut can't be when people started using the internet widely.

We'd need to define modern social media, I guess. I won't get too specific, but we'll agree that Facebook is the most relevant one, yes?

theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/04/facebook-in-numbers-statistics

It definitely grew a lot in the late 00s and the early 10s.

Even at 1 million uses Facebook was bigger than almost all forums.

now, building from this:

when social media sites were still relatively small, we can't talk about being born into an age of it. if you started using the internet in, lets say, 2005, you had plenty of time before this kind of media became the norm

and that is where modern social media really differs from the old types of communication, I think: it is very centralized and the most popular ones become almost universal means of communication, almost comparable to e-mail or mobile phone (of course still not quite).

lots of users on one site, with forums, its not like any single one was universal: but there were a lot of small ones. and no one expected anyone to use any.

and to continue from this:
> it is very centralized and the most popular ones become almost universal means of communication
facebook at 1m or even 200m is still pretty far away from this. it is just getting there at that point.

It's was mainstream. You have social media and game consoles online in the early 2000s so I don't know what argument you're trying to make here?

Post 9/11 internet is drastically different to pre 9/11 internet.

>Post 9/11 internet is drastically different to pre 9/11 internet.
I'm arguing that post 2009 (or so) internet is drastically different from the one before it as well. Maybe to the point of being even more different than 2001 vs pre-2001.

>You have social media and game consoles online in the early 2000s so I don't know what argument you're trying to make here?
Game consoles online definitely wasn't mainstream until PS3 gen.

The argument is about adaptation: that REALLY grew in the late 00s, to the point of becoming the norm rather than just a popular thing. So the real "age of modern social media" didn't really start in the early 00s, the adaptation just didn't cut it yet. It was a thing, but it wasn't the Thing. It was still kinda shitty and not really that important; it was well detached from real life and culture.

Trump's tweets are modern social media at its finest; those couldn't have happened even in 2008.

tl;dr my argument is based on how important social media is to culture and at what point did it become so, sorry for my occasionally bad English

>I'm arguing that post 2009 (or so) internet is drastically different from the one before it as well. Maybe to the point of being even more different than 2001 vs pre-2001.
Outside of netflix I don't see much difference.
>Game consoles online definitely wasn't mainstream until PS3 gen.
Except you had multiple top selling consoles gaming with online capability. Halo 2 being the big one.

>Trump's tweets are modern social media at its finest; those couldn't have happened even in 2008.

Obongo had a lot of stupid shit online.
youtube.com/watch?v=uhY9Zxv1-oo

Again I have no idea what argument you're trying to make because it makes no sense.

Maybe it is just the fact that I'm not from the US. It just really seems like the importance of social media to our culture has grown so much that it has become a completely different thing from something that it was just 10 years ago.

>Obongo had a lot of stupid shit online.
We didn't exactly follow every word though. It wasn't treated as something of importance.

Social media used to hardly be anywhere, now it is everywhere. Using it used to be a choice but nowadays everyone and everything tries to pressure you into it. And this change seems to me late 00s - early 10s, not early 00s. Internet was relatively detached from real life (in general anyway, of course there were dating sites before), but now you have tinder and uber.

And yes I forgot the xbox.

>We didn't exactly follow every word though. It wasn't treated as something of importance.
Because most of the news is left leaning.

>Social media used to hardly be anywhere, now it is everywhere.
Yes it was there in the early 2000s. Why do you think Sup Forums went to shit so fast?

>Yes it was there in the early 2000s.
Really?

I know it existed and that some services were popular, but that is pretty far away from total dominance of mainstream culture.

Where do you think that influx of new internet users went?

Uh, well, tell me if there was a huge social media where everyone went, used it for everything and expected everyone else to do, as well.

Internet was used, I'm not trying to say that internet was underground. Just that there is a big difference between using e-mail and a search engine and maybe a forum or early social media, and the current way of using social media.

Smartphones weren't even popular in the early 00s, and the ones that existed were hardly used in the same way as today. That alone is a huge change in how universal these services can be.

The technology made it easier to engage with social media.

Yes, and that made it a lot more significant for mainstream culture as usage grew and grew.

It existed before, obviously, but adaptation is what makes something a defining part of the culture of a given era.

Going back to the original point of the discussion... Social media in the early 00s - mid 00s was still kinda insignificant; a kid getting their first computer probably didn't go on facebook, at the very least their friendships didn't demand it. A kid who started using the internet in the 2010s probably used social media as one of their first experiences online, and probably has to use it to keep in touch with friends.

Something people forget when they post that image is how information was very localised back then. Even if Google as a search engine was as good as it is today back then you wouldn't be able to find good information as easily.
I'm not saying I prefer this. Just that most probably do prefer this for good reasons. And that probably includes most of Sup Forums.