KDE: Looks like the designers were 9 year olds with no design-experience

KDE: Looks like the designers were 9 year olds with no design-experience.
XFCE: Looks like it's from 1997.
Gnome 3: Looks actually a little bit good.
Cinnamon & MATE: Windows copies.
Unity: Not polished at all, and soon dead.

>KDE
It's called Plasma. KDE is the company's name. Basically like the difference between Microsoft and Windows.

>Gnome
Problem with Gnome is that it's entirely driven by designers to the point where they purposely go out of their way to break themes and make it difficult to theme it. Their justification being that Gnome users are human billboards and it's poor advertising if people can't walk by a user's computer and immediately recognize it as Gnome.

As a side effect of this a ton of shit gets regularly broken if you do any amount of customization. Worse still is that this ideology expands onto GTK and affects all GTK software as well.

I'm sticking with XFCE for the time being but as soon as a viable QT alternative pops up I'm switching over.

i use KDE looks nice desu
why do u hate it? ;_;

>corrects OP for getting Plasma wrong
>refers to GNOME as Gnome

>not using a tiling window manager
>not writing your own configs and themes

Xfce on manjaro looks pretty good tho

I installed Manjaro gnome yesterday and I was surprised that it does not respect Freedom and use free softwares.

I was using Fedora 26 till yesterday system was little wonky for me to use it.

Also how do I remove all the bloats installed by default in it?

I use lxqt is it shit? It just seemed simple and low ram

That's the point

>tiling window manager
What's the matter, can't afford a mouse wheel?

i3 + XFCE : Perfection

>KDE
>K Desktop Environment
>Gnome
Good job user.

>Unity
It has been forked on Github.
Maybe it somehow survives.

>XFCE: Looks like it's from 1997
then what is LXDE

>XFCE: Looks like it's from 1997.
That's what's so good about it

this

The only viable DE alternatives are XFCE if you're willing to rice and/or is using a PC from 2006, and Plasma if you don't and just want something that looks decent and works out of the box.

I honestly use GTK because of customization.

>corrects him on GNOME instead of Gnome
>doesn't correct him on Xfce instead of XFCE

Who is this semen demon?

Plasma looks like an proper DE.

I tried to get used to GNOME 3 but I couldn't.

XFCE is great is you need a lighter DE but the tearing could be an issue.

Unity... meh, just when I got used to it on one of my desktop they are killing it. Will switch that one to Cinnamon.

Also, for work i3 or any tilling wm is the best option.

>MATE
>windows copy
Here is the thing, you might have some sort of mental disability. Nothing makes you happy, you always see some imperfection on everything, it's so hardcore that you think gnome2/mate are "windows copy" when they aren't. That or you are a faggot who knows mate from linux mint mate, either way your opinions are worthless

tiling wm are for pedos.

Are you retarded? www.xfce.org
They say it themselves that Xfce is their name.

That's a good thing

XFCE is love, XFCE is life

>It's from 97!

That's the appeal, it has no bs.

Also no GTK2 abomination.

Do you know any 9 years old with "design-experience" or just triggered the retard warning on yourself in the first line?

> XFCE: Looks like it's from 1997

What exactly would I be missing out on if I only had a window manager rather than a full desktop environment? I want something lightweight and was considering either XFCE or just something like i3 without anything else.

lets keep it that way, please.

>XFCE
>lightweight

Breeze theme looks quite nice actually.
Also, use standalone KWin. It's the best WM by a mile and can even do tiling WM stuff.

XFCE on manjaro looks like a bunch of 15 year old Sup Forums faggots got together and made a theme, it's terrible.

Unity depends on so much Ubuntu specific bullshit.
I've used Unity-Gentoo for over a year and it requires you to basically pull everything Unity depends on as a specific Ubuntu patched version, even the regular gnome applications.
Hell, back then I had to recompile the whole Gentoo system with GCC5 from unstable just to make Unity work.
I'm still amazed the system functioned perfectly without any breakages for over a year with all the bullshit custom gnome patches and stable/unstable mix.

I actually like this. I wonder if I could enable it.

noice
sorta blows windows away

>windows theme
>blows windows away

MATE is not a Windows copy. It's also the best DE.

>KDE: Looks like the designers were 9 year olds with no design-experience.
>Gnome 3: Looks actually a little bit good.
ur delusional m8

>that ugly out of place grey scroll bar

gnome feels like a standard linux de to me at this point, every pc in our university was running gnome, many students had gnome, professors had gnome, i had gnome. It just works, has top notch usability, and looks like it actually had some thought put into its design, what cant be said about any other linux de.

Kde looks nice if you configure it