So like.. buy hard drives or wait 1 or 2 years for something SSDs to become affordable for data storage purposes?

So like.. buy hard drives or wait 1 or 2 years for something SSDs to become affordable for data storage purposes?

Also, if I really wanted to buy hard drives, should I get 6TB or 4TB?

i remember 2015 also :)

wtf do you want an SSD for archiving?

I've got around 1TB in SSDs to install stuff to and a 8TB HDD for cold storage.

more secure

HDDs fail and is a russian roulette

so like.. raid..

SSD was a short lived meme. True tech enthusiasts switched back to HDD a long time ago.

>HDD fails
>recover data from disk

>SSD fails
>data lost forever

really makes you think

so like... im not buying 10 drives

thats now how raid works... you can definitely buy 2 HDDs cheaper than 1 SSD at the same capacity, then run raid 1

Why not SSD for system files and commonly used shit and HDD for storage? You know, like everyone has been saying forever now.

why not SSD for both when HDD is unreliable garbage?

You're unreliable garbage

I would trust HDDs more since they are time-proven and don't really crash much these days. Just keep at least two separate backups and test them regularly.

SSDs are way too expensive in comparison ; they may become cheaper but I don't see them being as cheap per GB as HDDs in the near future.

So, use SSDs to speed up your systems and stay with HDDs for backup and archiving.

Depends about the exact use

Dude RAID lmao

>Sup Forums in charge of discussions

Maybe we should like
Stop buying SSDs and like wait until the price drops and THAN buy them.

>Why are HDDs still relevant?
Because they compensate for the inherent natural deficiencies of an SSD, whereas the SSD does the same for an HDD.

An SSD:
+ Won't fail from vibrations
+ Doesn't have mechanical moving parts which can fail
+ Has more accurate lifespan estimation
+ Is faster
+ Can hoard more data in the future for cheaper price unless HDD platters get another technological upgrade to their material and data inscription methods

- Will get fucked by an electrical failure or instability, whether caused by itself, or as a side-effect of other hardware failures via the board, which can wipe and corrupt all data
- Will get fucked by firmware failure, bug, or intrusion, which has a high chance of making retrieval impossible
- Will get fucked by the chip control failing in a way that's hard to fix and which has a high chance of making data retrieval impossible

An HDD:
+ Won't fail from firmware because firmware is irrelevant
+ Won't fail from electrical failure because that only translates to mechanical parts failing while data already inscribed on the platter is retrievable
+ Due to lower speeds, any registered ongoing intrusions or data corruption can be mended, even if partially, making at least part of the data retrievable
+ Data lasts much longer in case of off-line storage, if HDD is kept in plastic containers away from moisture and high temperatures

- Mechanical parts can fail due to various means, or from vibration, but data from the platters is at least retrievable
- Slow speeds
- Prices will be higher per 1GB than SSDs in the future unless HDD platters evolve again, though speeds will always be lacking compared to SSD's
- Can't monitor and estimate lifespan accurately

Smart people use both for specific tasks where their strengths apply and weaknesses are offset.
Retards think one can replace the other.

Don't be a retard.

actually you are supposed to update the HDD's firmware whenever available

I have never updated any HDD firmware on any HDD in my life.
I still have old Hitachi and Toshiba HDD's rolling since 9 years ago, and working fine.

If you care about data integrity, get 4x4TB hard drives. You'll get about 6TB of usable space and you'll be far less likely to suffer. Also, ZFS.

>not having cloud backup for your data
Kek