Where did the whole "Macs are for artists" meme come from?

where did the whole "Macs are for artists" meme come from?

"Desktop publishing" was born on Macs. For years, PCs were seen as business only machines while Macs had tons of options for displays, etc. nobody did creative shit on PCs.

About 30 years ago when adobe photoshop was macintosh exclusive.
That quickly changed, but people still kept repeating that mantra for 20 years, it's all inertia now.
Apple doesn't give 2 fucks about the professional market anymore.

the 90s

Once upon a time Macs were actually better machines for things like Photoshop, it simply stuck after they became run-of-the-mill Intel machines. Also this

Dick in the booty mac users.

It's because Apple focused on having great support for font rendering, which made macs the tool of choice for the advertising/publishing sector.

And because macs couldn't compete with the big IT companies like iBM on PC features, so they focused on competing on PC design. That was basically Jobs' strategy, to make pretty PCs and use bombastic marketing to claim they were superior to ordinary PCs.

This sort of marketing, which was partly based on reality (because of good font rendering and Photoshop being exclusive on macs), made macs very appealing to speshul-snowflake artists.

Also the Mac had the first mass-market WYSIWYG word processing and laser printing (the printed page would be identical in size to what you saw on the Mac's 9-inch display, but with double the display's resolution).

ebin

Linux is for artists now

They also had a UI foolproof enough that your 34 year old developmentally challenged cousin who did nothing but jack off and read model train enthusiast magazines could use it.

because:
>RISC
>support for large amounts of RAM. (256 MB in 1995 )
>included RCA/composite/YPbPr output
>fancy looking UI (compared to windows)
>SCSI

>256 MB in 1995
No one had that anyway

Being the best system for creating things

because if you're an artist you are smart
and if you're smart the only non-mac options require programming skill

because a lot of artists are liberal faggots

about 20 years ago it had better color and software, but not anymore

There was a time when they were actually better for graphical design tasks but windows quickly caught up and it became more important to Apple to sell to aspiring artists (aka people more worried about their image than getting shit done)

t. ex-macfag

crashes less than windows
less patches to install
drivers just werk

The iPad Pro is still the best portable drawing implement.

From that regard in my class who uses an apple when he says that he is making art or some shit like that

this had nothing to do with it. it was all about the fact that powerPC was better optimized for the sort of processing image/video/audio editing required. there was a time when a mac would absolutely smoke an equivalent intel machine.

Nowadays it's still very much the case. Their screens are the most accurate on the market at their level and are used as the industry standard for colouring. Many of the most popular video codecs are also designed for Mac.

This is the real reason. "Creative Types" lose a LOT of productivity when their computers cease functioning via things like crashes, or being interrupted by updates, or having to google why something went wrong with your computer every 10 days. Windows Update alone is a good enough reason to abandon Windows if you're worried about your computer not being able to boot for 30 minutes because of an update right before a photoshoot, or a presentation, or a pitch.

Windows in the paper-pushing world is fine because if Word crashes, you've probably only spent 10 minutes of work in it anyway, no big deal. You send and receive emails and bicker about the break room over IM in the typical boring Windows oriented office. That's why there's a division.

I'm a full-time photog and for me it's really simple, I think windows is ugly and I think 99% of windows machines are ugly. I have a hackintosh and a 15inch ret macbook pro.

I'm a designer and I use Windows. Virtually nothing is different between using Ai for Mac and Windows. They both do the same shit.

> Many of the most popular video codecs are also designed for Mac.
Like AV1 and H.265. Right?