/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

emacs.sexy/#learn
github.com/martin-tornqvist/ia
endgame.com/blog/how-get-started-ctf
reddit.com/r/Cyberpunk/comments/3q1thi/how_do_you_actually_hack_and_what_is_the_reality/cwbqapq/
reddit.com/r/ReverseEngineering/comments/2am4k5/real_world_exploit_development_tutorials_do_they/
catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
download.sourcemage.org/image/official/smgl-stable-0.61-basesystem-x86_64.tar.bz2
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot#6._Extract_from_chroot
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uncomplicated_Firewall
github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-pc/releases
github.com/johan/zsh/blob/master/Functions/Misc/tetris
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Where can I get that sticker?

>I must have 2-3 versions of python on one system, it's annoying.
true.
>how different ebuilds can be.
so what?
>you can install packman, apt, rpm on gentoo
i know but databases with installed packages will be different so depedences will messup.

newfags need things work out of tha box.

wtf did i just read ?
i was looking for some emacs config file and stumbled upon lots of inane comments

also any tips on how to git gud at emacs ?

bump4emacs

emacs.sexy/#learn

Can someone compile and upload this small roguelike game called Infra Arcana for Windows?
github.com/martin-tornqvist/ia

I once posted in one of these threads asking how to become a hacker (getting memed to oblivion with "hack the simpsons" and so on), but eventually I was given a link, a template of sorts, on how to become a hacker. I seem to have lost the source, so anyone who knows it, would you be so kind as to provide it to me?

thanks mang

endgame.com/blog/how-get-started-ctf
reddit.com/r/Cyberpunk/comments/3q1thi/how_do_you_actually_hack_and_what_is_the_reality/cwbqapq/
reddit.com/r/ReverseEngineering/comments/2am4k5/real_world_exploit_development_tutorials_do_they/

So "The default Porteus bootloader (extlinux) does not support the f2fs filesystem".

I'm a bit of a noob - how can I manually configure/change the bootloader? Or should I just drop the f2fs meme and format something like ext4? (It's on a USB flash drive.)

I'm a nigger - debug.txt says "bootloader: LILO".

I'm installing this from a debian machine that has barely any packages, would installing f2fs-tools or whatever that package is called help?

The one and only resource: catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

It was exactly this, thank you so much user, I've been stressing about losing it ever since I lost my phone, where it was saved.

So I bought a new motherboard with a ALC1220 audio on board
I know that it isn't supported except in kernel version 4.11 and I have audio output working
but I can't seem to get rid of popping in the input. I've tried different sample rates and qualities
and I know it isn't the microphone because it works fine in Windows.

I am using ALSA only
Any ideas?

good thread

so now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that systemd is aids

not for long

I'm trying to make a liveUSB for Fedora but their media writer utility won't run even when I try to run the .exe with admin privileges.

Did anybody else have this problem with Fedora Media Writer?

This is Sup Forums, what are you trying to bait? Of course we all agree, except the shitposters because of they were to agree they'd pass up a fantastic opportunity to shitpost.

Go bait on reddit or something.

Forgot to mention I'm on winblows if that wasn't already obvious.

Is there a build for linux that's ideal for just having a clean os that's used just for writing and browsing and not being a botnet?

try source mage

Going to install Arch today since a live cd of antergos had better video playback out of the box than my real install of Debian. Any tips the wiki doesn't cover?

>Linux so advanced, it might as well be magic.
Hmm...

Holy fuck lol have any of you actually tried to make a nice looking GUI program in linux?

Fucking shitballs I'd rather make AAA games in JS than do this every day

yes, when you finish partitioning and mount the partitions, run this command
wget download.sourcemage.org/image/official/smgl-stable-0.61-basesystem-x86_64.tar.bz2

ditch the arch wiki and follow this guide
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot#6._Extract_from_chroot
from point 6.

i would use rufus instead

I'm actually doing just that now. Still confused why it wouldn't run, nobody else had the same problem.

GUI is for pussies and cucks

Posted this from my lynx browser btw
also I suck cocks

This is why basically all commercially developed code shuns linux like the plague and linux gets half-baked hobby projects only.

When running pacstrap, also pass base-devel group. You'll get AUR support out of box.

Arch is just a stepping stone.

Arch is but a stepping stone.
Don't stay there forever.

systemd is a stepping stone

I seriously just don't understand why we don't have a nice clean, simple, lightweight, cross-platform GUI toolkit

Seriously, how fucking hard could it be? It's just some buttons and shit.

Why the fuck do we put up with bloated crap that is only cross-platform if you bend over backwards like GTK and Qt?
I can only imagine they're going to get more bloated too as we move to Wayland and they retain a lot of X code

To what?
Microsoft/Linux?

Ubuntu/Openbox

Is there a way for me to specify a custom size and location for a window without having to use rc.xml and keyboard shortcuts?

Because it would require people who are good enough to get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to waste their free time appeasing a bunch of ingrate neckbeards for that to happen. Instead we get poorly maintained bloated clusterfucks.

How do you guys configure your firewall?

>is there a way to configure openbox without actually having to configure openbox?

Yeah that sounds good. Let's get Canonical to put some of that money to good use that they earned selling user data to amazon

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uncomplicated_Firewall

Oh shit, this just made me think

Why aren't any GNU/Linux developers using kickstarter to fund projects?
Hell, I'd shill out a nice sum for a promising alternative to systemd. I'd also probably help pay for a better GUI toolkit too

Putting words in my mouth isn't very friendly. I don't know if there are ways to reposition/resize windows outside of editing the Openbox config files.

Probably because you can't just make this shit and be done with it, you need to constantly put work into maintaining it. Having a fucking dead project last updated in 2009 that's incompatible with any non-ancient versions of anything really doesn't help anyone.

>Putting words in my mouth
it's equivalent to what you said because telling windows how to behave in openbox is done by configuring openbox in such a way that the windows behave the way you want
>I don't know if there are ways to reposition/resize windows outside of editing the Openbox config files.
there aren't any

If there's no way to pass the MoveResizeTo action to Openbox outside of the config XMLs, you could have skipped to that answer without the greentext.

Can someone please help me, how do i install
github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-pc/releases
on my laptop

i;'m running Linux fedora x64 and i have installed Java

GNU/Linux*

>installing
>java file
>on linux
You don't. Put it somewhere on desktop and run with java -jar command.

GNU/Linux*

does the 2017 dell xps 15 work well on gnu/linux? I'm tempted to get it over the 13 because I want a quad core. Is the battery life with the nvidia card disabled the same as the xps 13? Ideallly I'd just like to power down/disable the 1050 when on battery, and then reboot and enable it when plugged in so I don't have to fuck with bumblebee.

Systemd/Linux**

fuck off faggot
systemd is the best solution we have right now

Explain how systemd is better than runit.

okay I give up

Good, you can't. Runit is much simpler and smaller than systemd, it boots faster, and creating a service for it is as easy as writing a unit file, if not easier.

?
Did i do it wrong?

You forgot closing quote.

>GUI toolkit
Write it on Vulkan then.
Or even better, port FLTK to Vulkan+wayland.
It will be best toolkit ever.

Thanks... but shouldn't the program pop up now?

I'll make the logo

Using a linux host to linux guest, using virtualbox, i cant copy paste in eithe direction despite enabiling bidirectional support in the settings.Is there a specific keybind to trigger this?

Are guest extensions installed?

It popups for me. What is your version of jre(7 or 8)?

Yes

GNU/Linux*

I'll be the ideas guy
Now we just need someone to do the coding

Linux*

read the title of the thread you homo

I don't know but it seems to complain about you having headless installation of java and not full. Are you sure you have full java installed?

Who knows any GLUT/OpenGL software?

You're letting Stallman get into your head.

i just did rm /libnpjp2 to uninstall it... but it didnt exit. So i installed Java 8 again through RPM but it still isnt working

and you're in the wrong thread
is the place for open sores nu-male cucks

Not all of Linux is GNU, dumbass. Ever heard of Embedded Linux? Doesn't run GNU shit, but still runs Linux. Do you even know that GNU wasn't meant to run on Linux? I don't think the Linux developers who originally ported the GNU tools would be happy for you giving Stallman credit for something HE DIDN'T EVEN DO.

y so mad tho senpai. Linux will always be Linux. GNU will always be GNU. GNU/Linux is the combination of both.

>Not all of Linux is GNU
>not all software distributions containing the kernel Linux contain the GNU userland*
>Do you even know that GNU wasn't meant to run on Linux?
>linux wasn't meant to be a part of the GNU operating system*
>Linux developers who originally ported the GNU tools
heh
>giving Stallman credit for something HE DIDN'T EVEN DO
what didn't he do? start the GNU project?

Agreed, all of Linux, the kernel, is Linux.

Linux is more than a kernel. Stop falling for Stallman's ego-filled bullshit.

why makes zsh better than bash?

>why makes zsh better than bash?
Not GNU

fuzzy complete ootb without jumping through 50 hoops in bash

What is fuzzy complete? webm pls

zsh is by macfags for macfags

>Linux is more than a kernel.
Pls post a git link to a project called Linux which is more than a kernel.

i can run linux without gnu, for example android has no gnu

nothin'

Its completion is a lot better imo

I can run Firefox on Windows, for example, Windows has no Android.

I can run GNU without Linux, for example Debian GNU/kFreeBSD has no Linux.

Why do you hate Arch? I used it before and like most other distros I had no problem at all at ay point. They're all mostly the same shit

hey /fglt/, I'm looking for a desktop environment thats as minimal as possible, not CPU/RAM usage wise, but looks wise, and a wallpaper to match it, whats your favorite minimalist Linux look? thanks~
(Sorry if my English is bad)

zsh has builtin tetris, bash doesnt
github.com/johan/zsh/blob/master/Functions/Misc/tetris

>GNU with FreeBSD
double shit

fluxbox