You have 10 seconds to say why you aren't you using the best editor and operating system, Spacemacs

You have 10 seconds to say why you aren't you using the best editor and operating system, Spacemacs.

> best
> Spacemacs

pick one faggot

Because modal editing is shit.

I use either vim or vs code with amVim plugin.

What does it offer over regular Emacs with evil mode?

With its layer system you're far less likely to get .emacs bankruptcy and it also comes with a more complete user-interface out of the box. Outside of editing you have to use some emacs key bindings, but I think that's the same with evil as well. I like to think of spacemacs as Vim with a decent configuration language. Just back up your .emacs and .emacs.d and try it out.

Too slow

ever tried using it in daemon mode? applies to emacs, too.

Org-mode convinced me to switch to Emacs, and being a Vim user, the logical choice seemed to go for Spacemacs. But I used it for less than 30 minutes and switched to plain Emacs.

Why? I fell for the same trap when I first started Vim. Wanting to have a "perfect" configuration, with tons of functionality, I chose a Vim "distribution" (it was SPF-13 I think). But it made learning just twice as difficult. Now on top of learning Vim (which is quite some work already), I had to learn the bazillion plug-ins included with it, all the custom keybindings (that might override the default ones) and so on.

In the end I deleted everything, and started an new Vim config from scratch. This way, I was always full aware of everything that was happening. I only added plug-ins when I needed them, keeping the bloat to a minimum.

And I did exactly the same for Emacs. I just started yesterday and it's probably gonna take days until I get it to a functional state, but at least I have everything under control.

I started with evil-mode, ivy/counsel, and general, and I'll see where this takes me.

> waiting 10 seconds for your editor to boot

lol what a meme

But i already use vscode

Because I'd like to build my emacs up and learn as I go along.

This.

why should I use this over vim

Is evil mode worth it or is it better to stick to vanilla emacs

Personally I think that vanilla Emacs is the best. Once you learn the Emacs keybindings they are honestly better and more convienent than vi/vim.

> i have adhd and can't wait 10 sec
> im wetarded

>spacemacsfags defend this

>once your fingers get broken and mend in horrifying ways the keybindings aren't so bad

>pressing ctrl is hard

Good strategy, and it may be better to learn a bit Emacs key controls.
But Spacemacs is really great when you used to work with Vim. Really comfy.

Pressing ctrl 100..0 times can be annoying, or even painful.
Vim bindings are objectively better.

comes with too much retarded shit

the one thing i had from spacemacs though is the whole space prefix thing

meant to say "the one thing i wish i had from spacemacs"

If your hands are so fucked that you can't handle pressing control every so often in between typing shit then you can even rebind it to fucking capslocks.

same reason i use a lot of shit.

what i have jus werks and i don't feel like learning something else.

ooor... I can use a software with sane controls. Like Emacs with Evil for example.