/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MaSliX3e7LA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do I need a bright headphone if I want detail but I also want to be able to just sit down and listen?

Budget - 100€
Location - ITALY
Source - Phone and PC
Type of headphone - IEMs
Comfort level - Comfy as in "never slipping away from my ear canal"
Sound signature - neutral
Past headphones - shit.

Also looking for good isolation, no microphonics, L-shaped jack would be awesome.

You need neutral headphones if you want detail.

>I also want to be able to just sit down and listen?
This is the subjective part. What do you consider enjoyable? Could be anything.

I realize that headphones.com's graph generator is nice, plotting many headphones on the same graph and such.

But their collection is pretty limited and somewhat obsolete... it lacks a lot of the newer cans.

Are you aware of alternatives which can plot 2 or more headphones in the same graph?

>detail
The more the neutral the better.

HD600 is a good starting point.

are panasonic's cheap iems any good?

>cans

>tfw you don't have a golden ear and hearing well into the Mega Hertzs

Thank you for the non anime op

Starting point? it's the fucking end game laddy

Ssh. Don't say that too loud.

>tfw YOU can't afford good headphones

what you saying lad

Is buying used, to get a higher tier headphone than you can afford new, a good idea?

stupid question here boys, my front and rear audio jacks make nothing but a buzzing sound when i plug my earphones into them yet my computer acts as if everything is ok and all the drivers are updated etc so im convinced its a hardware problem, how do i go about fixing this because im a complete dumbass

If the codec on the mobo is dead, you need a sound card. External or internal.

Telling people they're endgame doesn't quite help get them to buy them.

Let them get them and figure out how everything else pales, by themselves.

Try running Linux, to discard Windows issues.

If your onboard sound really is burst, I'd suggest using the opportunity for getting the schiit stack (modi+magni).

If it's in good working condition yeah. My first good pair of headphones were brand new akg 702s and one side died for no fucking reason after a few months. One of the cables came away and I had to do my first ever bit of soldering and I fixed them and sold them on ebay. I've never had a problem with any other high end headphones since. What I'm saying is that you never know what can happen to them, but a good condition working pair is the best you can look for, besides new.

Extra $688 per pair!

Is it worth it?

Kek. They're $300 headphones, user. Good $300 headphones, but $300 nonetheless. They're not even that neutral.

Best 100$, closed back headphone?

Is there anything which I can use while commuting that won't leak?

>Yes goy you need those $1000 headphones to hear all the sounds!
None of the music you listen to was even mastered on anything better than hd600.

m40x

He's most likely not going to buy them at this point, I was just meming about, even though I'm telling the truth.

It's not a matter of the more neutral wins. Neutral is better but you want some kind of warmth and the 600 does that perfectly. You laugh at them costing $300, what headphones are clearly better then?, besides the hd800 which I've never tried.

But claiming HD 600s are end game headphones? Ha!

Can anyone recommend a good powered sub to go with Micca PB42x? Running them through an Origen+ if that helps.

>no anime
this is a fake /hpg/ thread.

fuck off trustyfucks.

That wasn't me.

>You laugh at them costing $300
What? When did I do that? I called them good $300 headphones; there are better headphones out there, it just depends on what you prefer. Not clearly better, just better depending on your taste.

>Getting mad at non-anime generals
>Implying this is worse than
Your choice in anime isn't even good. Try again next time when you have better taste in anime.

Will there be any discernable difference between a Fiio E10 and a magni modi stack?

Well, you started with "kek, they're $300 headphones" that to me implies that they can't be the best because they 'only' cost 300.

>it just depends on what you prefer. Not clearly better

This comment says it all doesn't it?

Volume. looks.

I laughed at user calling them end game headphones, when they most are not.

>It just depends on what you prefer. Not clearly better
Yup.

ignore shills who tell you schiit is good and/or makes a huge difference. Only power makes a difference and is only worth it if 1) it is clean 2) you need it (headphone power requirements or you EQ).

So, no, unless you EQ or your headphone needs more power

I've never tried the stack before but I've owned the e10k, the ODAC and now the fulla 2. The former two sound exactly the same to me whereas the fulla 2 clearly has better bass and is less harsh sounding overall. I can only imagine the schiit sounds the same, but an who owns both said the stack sounded better with his 600's. After comparing the e10k and odac I assumed different/expensive amps were a meme, but after hearing the fulla 2 I now see the light mayne.

Be prepared for e10k owners to jump in and claim that they all sound the same, they fucking don't, and I loved the e10k before I bought the fulla 2. it's still great for the money.

>but an who owns both said the stack sounded

an user*

>fulla 2 clearly has better bass
yeah, you lose low end when you lack power. It's nothing to do with the amp. It has to do with the lower frequencies requiring more power.

>It's nothing to do with the amp
Then why does it clearly differ with different amps? also the o2 is more powerful than the fulla 2 and requires a separate power source. It sounds worse overall than the fulla 2, the fulla is only usb powered.

>Then why does it clearly differ
wew, now I remember why I don't post in headphone forums or threads. It doesn't clearly differ, A/B them with a switch. Fulla 2 has two usb ports, one for power and one for usb.

I've got an E10 driving HD600s right now. Give it to me straight, do I need a different source of amplification or will any change be imperceptible?

line out from the e10k into a ifi ican special edition

Anyone try out the Bower and Wilkins P9?

I listed my e10k on ebay the night I received my fulla 2. The bass is nicer and the overall tone is smoother, without losing any detail. When you compare them you realize that the e10k actually sounds harsh in comparison. I've always heard people on headfi etc say that the e10k sounds grain and I never knew what they meant. But now I do. I bought the fulla because it has all the features of an odac but costs half the price here in england. Turns out it actually sounds better than the e10k and the o2. I couldn't be fucking happier with it. 600+fulla 2 is my endgame until a new small amp comes out in the future and I get tempted again, a fulla 3 perhaps.

>It doesn't clearly differ

Yes they do. Have you actually compared them?

I don't know what that means and I don't like it.

>see the light
I have a feeling that it's really the complete opposite here. Unless the difference is clear, very easily, precisely and consistently described, you can't know whether there is a difference or not by just listening to them. You most certainly can't make any serious claims about it. Saying "better bass and less harsh" is the sort of stuff that tells absolutely nothing and even if you "heard" it with your own ears, highly questionable.

>ODAC
Did you actually plug your headphones into that?

>A/B them with a switch
And double blind it which is not easy. You have to make sure that the switching is instant with no weirdness happening during the process. A high quality device is required to do that. Measure the outputs from each device with a scope or multimeter precise enough to know volumes are matched exactly. Let someone else do the connections and setup, hide all devices being listened, only the switchbox should remain. Make sure neither device is overloaded with the samples and do a minimum of 10 tries.

If you score 9/10 correct you might be hearing a difference. Do more tries to increase confidence. It's one thing to tell one apart but another to recognize a specific device and rank them in order consistently. If you can do that, you have at least one shitty amplifier.

Of course if you don't actually care about whether the difference you hear is real or not, don't bother. Some people are content with that.

>It has to do with the lower frequencies requiring more power.
This is in general not true. While inductance makes minimal contribution to the low frequencies, most headphones have a distinct resonance placed around the low frequencies.

>Give it to me straight, do I need a different source of amplification or will any change be imperceptible?
No. You have given no reason yet why you should.

So /hpg/ I need headphones for running even if they are poor sound quality. What do you recommend?
I run mostly in mountains so they need to stay in my ears

Depends on what headphones you want to drive.

In power, e10k < fulla 2 < magni 2.

And on HD600, the fulla2 falls short, with not enough gain plus some distortion when volume knob near max. I own both that and the stack.

>This is in general not true.
Stick a headphone that can deliver bass (SZ1000/SZ2000, E-MU Teak, TH-X00/TH-900) into a weak amp and try to run a bass heavy song (Wiz Khalifa) and then try it on a powerful amp that can do 5-10W and then tell me there's no difference when it comes to bass, or that the bass won't clip / run away when you have a low powered amp.

My friend also owns multiple good headphones and he uses the e10k . He tried his usual songs on my fulla and he heard the difference straight away. I'm not saying the difference is huge because non of them are at this stage, but it's noticeable enough for me to keep it even though it costs twice the price of the e10k, and needless to say, he bought one and sold his e10k. I'm just sharing my experience in the only place I discuss headphones. You can believe what you want.

Not him but the guy talking about the fulla 2. The o2 has more power than the fulla 2 but the bass is better/stronger on the fulla.

So now what?

>enough to know volumes are matched exactly
good fucking luck lmao

No but I fucking love my P7's, they trash every other pair of headphones I've ever owned.

Considered P9's but it's a big step up.

volume match.

I'm a shitter new to headphones please send help

Budget - 200 bucks, give or take
Location - Mexico
Source - A PC. I have v-moda boompro so if they could work with that sort of external 3.5 cable that would be nice but not a must.
Type of headphone - Full sized.
Open or closed - Closed, ideally as much as possible.
Comfort level - I plan to wear them like 12 hours a day so comfy.
Sound signature - wat. I like vocals and operatic stuff.
Past headphones - Someone gifted me a pair of Beats Solo HD, they were fine. No complains other than the fit was a bit tight at the start. I also got a pair of Monster Ncredible Ntune and they were garbage; super painful fit, sounded too bassy and sloppy, things fucking broke.

Alternatively the v-moda does have a bit of hiss so I was considering a complete USB alternative (cause I dunno how else to fix that). Anyone got any opinions on a headset? Was looking at the g633.

It's pretty easy to match volume to within 95%-100% as a guess. But of course you wont believe that lmao. M8, they don't sound the same, just fucking accept it.

TFZ-5S ($50) + Fiio A5 ($100-120). I take this combo with me to bars or whenever I'm out and have people listen to it.
Kay.

I can blast my e10k louder than my fulla 2 and the bass still isn't as good, and the overall tone is still harsh in comparison.

What amp do you use on a daily basis? be honest.

these days? line out into ifi ican se into lcd-2 / modded e-mu teak / sz1000k and a few other headphones. Portable I just use a5 + tfz 5s because I find it better than most $300 options. I don't really find much difference between dacs so I just use onboard.

>He tried his usual songs on my fulla and he heard the difference straight away.
You don't know that. He doesn't know that. If I "noticed a difference" while I listened to them and it boiled down to "better bass and less harsh" I wouldn't know that. Sighted listening is absolutely worthless unless there is an obvious problem which you can very precisely describe. And at that point one of the devices is just bad or malfunctioning.

>I'm just sharing my experience in the only place I discuss headphones.
And I'm pointing out the(lack of) validity of the claims made as a part of the discussion.

It does surprise me how it's news to people into audio that your ears only give useful data if you manage to filter out all other possible cognitive biases at play. This goes for all of our senses for that matter.

Like I said if you don't care about the fact whether the difference is real or not, it doesn't matter. I don't have a trouble with someone enjoying their devices or senses but I do have a problem with claims made based on nothing more than "i listened to it". I'm writing this more as a general statement for anyone reading as much as to you.

>You can believe what you want.
Touché?

Tolerance +-0.1 dB is usually good enough but if you have a scope it's easy to do better. Assuming that the pots aren't terrible. Always a good idea to bring other people to do the test, too.

>if you have a scope
yeah I was just joking
>Always a good idea to bring other people to do the test, too
I hate how literally everyone and their mom guesses 7/10 correct on a blind test, says "well that's good enough" and then closes up shop. If you've already spent the time to get everything setup properly (which they don't) might as well go for 25, or 50+.

You use lcd 2's with on board? you are literally on a different plane of audio, You win. Seriously though we will go around in circles. No point in discussing it further.

You wrote all that and I'll respond with this. It's called not being a fucking mong, and being able to discern between equipment. The difference is there and it's obvious to me and my friend. I bought the o2 befor the fulla expecting an upgrade and I was disappointed because it sounded the same.

Your's a superior being, I get it. You're a numbers guy ;)

hey man no need to get defensive, no one is trying to be elitest or w/e, we're just suggesting that you're wasting money

>SZ1000/SZ2000, E-MU Teak, TH-X00/TH-900
>5-10W

They'll blow up your ears even at 1W.

Not really a fan of IEM, I'd like something sturdy.

Ok. Do you own both amps? have you compared them?

I haven't wasted a penny, I bought this amp because I wanted the extra features and I remember one user saying that the bass is better on it, I saw that as an added bonus but didn't expect it. Turns out the bass is better and the overall sound is nicer and not harsh like the e10k. We're not talking placebo levels here, it's very blatant.

no, the SZ1000 needs atleast 2-3w and a 10-25db 60hz increase, because it has a dedicated 50m subwoofer and a shitty passive crossover (or none at all)
youtube.com/watch?v=MaSliX3e7LA
Classical doesn't get loud enough on my lcd-2 at 1W, E-MU Teak doesn't have nearly as physical bass

-The JVC SZ headphones aren't even that bass heavy.
-Those headphones are all very sensitive, if low impedance. More voltage on tap helps nothing if it isn't used.
-A low frequency, high amplitude signal is no more likely to drive an amplifier into distortion than a high frequency signal of similar amplitude. For electronics, the converse is true as the feedback encounters slew limits and the like.

>We're not talking placebo levels here, it's very blatant.
That's not what expectation bias is limited to.
Expectations influence the perception of objects, and the perception of any object or event does not treat each method of sensory input (touch, vision, scent, etc.) independently.

What's the most weeb headphones

:^)

AKG K701

>SZ1000 needs atleast 2-3w

Max supported power is 1.5W according to the JVC site.

>Expectations influence the perception of objects

I agree. Like I said, I expected the o2 to sound better after hearing abut how good it is, how much it costs and the fact that it's powered by the mains rather than usb. I tested and tested and I could tell it sounded the same.

I had no actual expectation when it came to the fulla 2. I bought it for the extra features alone. It turns out that it sounds better than the e10k and it's obvious to me and my friend. It's the best thing I've bought in general since my 600's

>pic related is me right now. Overall it's fucking brilliant for the price and size.

>might as well go for 25, or 50+
Might as well but I'm sure I would quit earlier in boredom.

>Your's a superior being, I get it.
You truly don't "get it" if that's what you managed to derive from anything what I typed.

>we're just suggesting that you're wasting money
I'm not even suggesting that. As I said people can be content and happy that they bought a device which made their setup sound better even if there is no difference. I don't have a problem with this at all. Let them enjoy their setups. My point is that you can't _know_ it unless you double blind it properly or unless the difference is so obvious that you can pinpoint it. It's why making claims based on something so unstable and unreliable is an issue. I shouldn't be repeating myself this much.

Second time you try to use "you haven't heard it" argument which falls short because you or nobody else can provide any more or less reliable information through that method. We don't get any wiser from plugging headphones into a device and listening to it if we can't control all the other variables which our sense are heavily affected by.
>We're not talking placebo levels here, it's very blatant.
user, the sensation of placebo effect is very real. It's indistinguishable from reality without proper controlled test. You underestimate it. Nobody is immune to it. Not me, not you or the most experience mastering engineer or musician.

I won't continue repeating this any longer.

>expectation bias
That was well put.

SE 215

That's very far from neutral.

Etymotics, MK5 maybe. It won't slip away if that's your idea of comfy.

>lower frequencies requiring more power
Dynamic peasants. Planar master race wins again.

I don't need to prove anything and I don't care if you think that I don't 'get it'

I hear it, and it's real. Goodbye.

Hey Sup Forums I need some cheap speakers for under 20$. What do you suggest?

e10 < e10k < fulla 2 < magni2

If my fulla2 doesn't do well with HD600 (and it doesn't), I doubt the e10 is any good with them.

Buy a bluetooth speaker.

What the fuck are these Sup Forums? The seller doesn't even know what they're called.

I have fulla2 and magni2, with HD600.

Magni 2 does HD600 better, like night and day difference.

So, there's that.

>I don't need to prove anything
I didn't suggest for you to do that.
> I don't care if you think that I don't 'get it'
I care because my intention was never to be rude.
>I hear it, and it's real.
4 u
>Goodbye
Enjoy your stuff.

Na it's all in your mind bro, listen to that other guy. You can't prove it sounds better so that means it's not.

How can audio be real if our ears can't hear it

So I did the foam mod and also took out the little cable lock mechanism to my sennheiser 558's, that won't potentially damage them right? I tested them and they sounded fine.

I bought a sennheiser momentum cord, and I'm going to use that, because all the 558 replacement cords are really bulky, and the 558 and momentum have different lock patterns.

What's the text on the earcup?

We disagree but I respect the fact that you didn't resort to shit posting either. Have a good night m8.

Pic related

>running in the mountains
>While wearing headphones, limiting ability to take in the world around him, and effectively putting his own life at risk, needlessly.
-_-

If I'm looking for the highest noise isolation $90 can buy me, should I either go IEMs or closed headphones?

(OP)
still need a device that does pic related.
some sort of a reverse dac. all normal ones are a usb slave, I need usb host and output analog stuff.

Make your own with a raspberry pi.