>4th year software engineering
>doing good
>student loans get pulled back mid year
>end up owing the school thousands of dollars
>can't enroll in final year
>can't get transcripts till I pay them back
>no help from family so don't ask
>end up working as software developer making $25k per year

I need your help Sup Forums. What skills should I focus on to get a better job? I've had a few interviews for good positions over the last few months but no offers yet. How do I make lemonade out of this? I have allot of experience writing shaders and optimizing graphics in Unity3D . I've also started experimenting with writing restful web services in Java. Does that help me? Am I fucked? Any advice would help.

pls no bully

pay them back you idiot, you aren't going to move up without a degree

>make 25k
>owes a few thousand

You're fucked

What do you mean by your loans getting pulled back?

Stuck with your crappy job until you have enough experience to jump to something with higher pay.

He's a white man going to university

>Be me
>Get steady job making 50k a year out of highschool
>22 finally decide to go to college for mech engineering.
>No loans, no debt

How exactly do you guys manage to do this? I really don't understand why people can't just work for a year or too before going to college

install Sup Forumsentoo

What are expenses? I am paying them back. I'm half way there but I can't quit my job to go back to school or I'll end up homeless.

I mean they cancelled the loan and pulled it back. They said it was because I was doing more than a full time course load. God only knows why that's a good reason but that's what happened. btw I'm in ontario so it was OSAP.

How did u get the job in the first place? What were your achievements on your resume when u went for the interview and showed them your resume?

I went to a temp agency with no experience. Said I was willing to work any job.

The temp agency specialized in manufacturing.

Go a job offer the next week. Work for a few months as a temp and got hired onto the company as a machine operator.

Trust me if I could do it all over I would probably not go straight into school.

That's pretty much what I'm doing. Came here to get some advice on what skills to focus on.

Well you were lucky, user... In certain countries, *cough*India*cough, they don't even look at your resume if you don't have a degree.

kill yourself

I'm going to an agency this week.

That's not very helpful, user.

>software dev
>$25k/year
Does such a position even exist? What kind of development are you doing for such a low salary

His name is Raja Sheeshit and he comes from India

>paid college education

what kind of a joke country do you live in

Mürrikkah

It's a small startup. I'm rebuilding their app and working on a number of small VR project they got contracted to make from various Universities. It's mostly in C# with a few C plugins used for facial recognition and measuring heart rate with a camera phone. The back end is written in PHP. I plan on rebuilding their back end as a restful service in Java since it's a bloody mess right now. It's full stack development. I know I'm getting ripped off but I have to take what I can get right now. I've also written a few shaders that were recently used in a VR demo at the MET. Pretty proud of that one.

No, I'm white and not an immigrant.

Canada

sounds interesting, if you keep building on those skills you will be making 6 figures in 5-7 years

Thanks, user that's reassuring. I have some personal projects too. I'm working a quadtree based rendering system for planet sized environments that requires less than 100mb to store a single planet but still has high detail. I've also roughed out the network logic to handle the floating point position/velocity issue in such a system. I think it could be really useful for the game industry.

How's that Republican thing working out for you?

Tbhf