What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mobile

[spoiler]LOL[/spoiler]

Women.

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE THE GOOD OLD DAYS

please unsubscribe me from your mailing list.

Developers expect you to read the instruction booklet before using a piece of software. Developers also follow current trends and apply such trends to their programs, and expect their users to think "I was this before elsewhere, so it should mean the same thing, let's try pressing it to see what happens" or "I haven't seen this before, I'm going to press it to see what happens" whilst exploring their program.

>instruction booklet

Bullshit.

I have to teach some guy that's not much older than me to use MS Office tools and such, and everytime I tell him to find a tab or a section he takes a good while to find it. This is totally anecdotal and the guy is kinda blind.

I think that the problem is not the buttons. It's the representation of everything with lego faced flat graphic cartoons. I am growing really tired of the same stupid shit. It's like they have a single guy doing all of these for google and 30 other different companies. It's like those retarded TV spots with clapping and "OOOH OOOH OH" in the background, or the goddamn ukeleles. It's empty.

Average American doesn't know how to read or write, and applications started catering to them because they are a bigger demographic than computer savvy people.

>just click the ameriburger menu dad

>got it!

>just press the menu button dad
>I TOLD YOU IT JUST TURNS MY PHONE OFF WHEN I DO THAT

>"I haven't seen this before, I'm going to press it to see what happens"

good for malware devs i guess

By the picture, nothing went wrong.
They just let people, who are not autistic, to desing the User Interface.
Why do you think Apple products are so popular?

>"I haven't seen this before, I'm afraid touching anything will destroy my phone"

Fixed.

I fucking hate "flat" graphic design. It's an improvement over the "glass and gloss" era but fuck it is so non-descriptive.

I get verbiage is not good graphic design but there must be a better "menu" graphic than a waffle.

>glass and gloss
no its the best. the absolute fucking best design ever.
Now that we have high dpi screens we stop using this design? it makes no fucking sense to do.

>2017
>Just click the data tab dad
>Alright I found it, thanks

What a fucking mess

Jesus what a mess.

there honestly isn't a single problem with this
might look weird at first, but in a long run it's very effective and quick to navigate

Icons ruin it desu. There's dropdowns, suboptions displayed for whatever reason.

It just werks unlike your freecucks dumpster software. try doing that your vim or emacs. oh sorry, what? you can't do that? you can only write a poorly tested fizzbuzz?

>so popular
tiny tiny market share friendo

How is it any quicker than a traditional menu system?
Traditional menus also show shortcuts.

Big ass images are quicker to find if you know their general position than an item in a list.

>grandfather is 90 yo
>uses youtube on his moto g to play old classic songs for the others in the retirement home (uses bluetooth speaker thingy)

ughh how do I make him realize he needs headphones and should download flac or v0, youtube has shit quality

Take your ruse elsewhere

>2017
>Just click the data menu dad
>I already know that son, this software hasn't changed in two decades
>It just looks uglier for some reason

He is right though.

It is more confusing at first, however. A list is pretty easy to read through but my eyes don't really know where to go in the newer version.

>tell someone to click file
>they scan everywhere as if for this one instance it won't be in the top left

>tiny tiny market share

most valuable company in the world friendo

Designers happened. They wanted in on the high-paying software industry and have begun to ruin it.

>it's easier once you get used to it
>completely missing the point

People completely new to the software would find harder locating an option whose name they don't know in a menu than just looking for a familiar picture in categorized tabs.

It's only harder to people used to the old menu system and too retarded to learn anything new.

>People completely new to the software would find harder locating an option whose name they don't know in a menu than just looking for a familiar picture in categorized tabs.
This applies only if the thing they're looking for is one of the big things that the software shoves in the users face first.

I always found the ribbon-like systems annoying for less common options. Sometimes even for some common options.

This prove people will pay a lot money to fells special.

Thank MS for the ribbon cancer.

>hamburger button

this isnt' the first time I've heard it called that but holy fuck it's just a menu. it looks like a menu. it's a menu button. you people sound like retards.

because that's the _actual fucking name_ for it you retard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button

can it even pivot data?

Wait people actually use apple products?
HAHAHAHAHA

No, it's called a fucking 3-bar button. Amerifat journalists just latched on to it because it's ridiculous enough to serve as clickbait.

>there honestly isn't a single problem with a steaming pile of shit

the screen on the left is 10 times bigger than the other one, what a stupid comparison

Yet it has 1/4 of the resolution.

The idea that software is not a tool but an "experience", and that it should "just work". So, when computers and software stopped coming with manuals about how to use it.
Though the blame also lays in making things "reactive" (see the ribbon) rather than consistent.

No one ever calls it that. It's called the hamburger menu and you have to fucking deal with it.

Fixed.

Dad is retarded

>I don't own a smartphone

Remember when software had complete, context-sensitive documentation? Haha.

I liked the menu button on palm devices
Made it clear what it was instead of 3 dots or lines

I have no idea where you live, but americans call it the menu button or the 3 bar button.

M A T E R I A L D E S I G N

EVERONE PLEASE STOP CLICKING REPLY ALL

Screens shrunk, user.

You obviously have no idea about UI design, so shut the fuck up.

>3 bar button
Yeah, just push dat 3 bah button and get me some o dat purple drank

I'm going to be an UI designer
And I will bring back the win95 UI and astheatice to smartphones

Why would women want an unusable UI?

Vim and Emacs are plain-text editors aimed at programmers you douchecanoe. That's a spreadsheet application, and OpenOffice and LibreOffice are much more usable than modern versions of Excel for someone that's used to the old-style UI.

Because it looks clean, they don't care about functionality.

>implying they actually did
desktops didn't, except maybe for some people who used to have 1600x1200 and now have 1920x1080
laptops didn't, they used to commonly be 1024x768 and then 1280x800, the 1366x768 isn't smaller

Thank you for acknowledging the ukuleles. It's nice to know that someone else understands.

He's talking about physically smaller phone screens, lel

But Phone screens are much smaller than desktop monitors and that's what OP was comparing.

You can't render a big-ass menu in portrait mode on a smartphone. Not unless you want shitty user experiences like having to scroll through the menu or having a huge vertical header to scroll through before reaching the content.

A big fat mess

This isn't the 90's anymore user. What year do you think we are in?

Then get with the new UI design because it's more productive, brainlet grandpa

true, didn't think of it like that since directly comparing phone ui to desktop ui is pretty dumb and op is comparing applications, not like, websites, that need to work with everything. plus was still stuck at earlier ribbon vs old menu discussion.

its not like smartphones are a new thing, their screen didn't shrink either

You got it tuned to K-O-L-D. K-OLD, your oldies station. Here's something you might remember from the good old days.

You're old. (You're old)
Groaning like a geezer,

Feel yourself a-cracklin'
Like an old has-been,
Look at yourself, old man, you've got multiple chins
'Cause you're OLD!

>or "I haven't seen this before, I'm going to press it to see what happens" whilst exploring their program.
this is the problem with many normies, especially the old ones, in my experience

half of my tech support experiences involve trying to encourage 40 yo+ people to just experiment a little, they're kinda too afraid that the wrong button permanently destroys everything

Jokes on you, I'm not old but also not retarded

No, developers expect you to figured out how to use the software by experimenting with it. The problem here is that while our generation is perfectly comfortable doing this, boomers are not.

His ears are 90 years old, he doesn't need flac. He plays old time songs for others, you suggest headphones. Seems the neophyte to the situation is (You)

New excel is so fucking bad. I've been forced to use it for school, and it's such a shitshow. I need to google how to do everything, whereas I could dick around with some related sounding menus in older versions and usually figure things out. Even following instructions from a website is hard, because the UI is THAT fucking bad.

Only when you take into account poo-tier third world countries like India and Brazil. In developed countries, it's a 50/50 split.

>"Just press the menu button dad"
>looks around confused
>"It looks like a hamburger"
>sees the hamburger
>"Alright I found it, thanks"

Wow, that was so hard

Yeah, but if I say that, random losers on the Internet will call me a fat American.

>those three lines look like a hamburger
you're joking right? what shitty hispter hamburger are you eating that looks like that?

kys

>It looks like a hamburger
What the actual fuck
You've never done over-the-phone support in your life, have you

Where in the world do hamburgers look like that?

In the only country that matters.

>Amerifat Country
>Relevant
Good one Sup Forums now why don't you cry some more since you can't shitpost on Sup Forums because someone is using the phone because amerifats can only afford dial up.

You only have 15 minutes a day to use the town computer, and you waste it shit posting on Sup Forums?

>implying

>2.6 mbps
>fast

What went wrong was 'Minimalist UI' retards and having Graphics Designers as a separate profession to Programmer.

It would be like having a Producer take over a Director or Screen Writer's job instead of just being the fund monkey they are.

Mobile phones and material/flat design is the best thing to happen to computers.

No, it's not more productive. It's so bloated that a laptop with an i5 froze for 5 minutes to process my clicking on a save button, and then crashed. Go back to writing kernels in JavaScript if you think newer is automatically better.

Looks more like a ladder (or like the lights inside the Death Star) than a submarine to be imo desu.

Yeah and how much do you pay for it?

Mine's maybe 1.5 Mbps download on a good day.

What the fuck, you can't be serious.

I've been to 3rd world, corrupt, bottom barrel countries with faster internet.

\

Guys, ignore that post. He doesn't represent all americans. I get much faster speeds.

it's shit because it's inherently inconsistent in style because every dev does their own thing. I might like glass and gloss if it was uniformly the same style everywhere, but it isnt, so let it burn in hell. Flat leaves less room for creativity, thereby making it more uniform to the user and more enjoyable.

at least it's not a burger menu anymore

You have the dumbest fucking hamburgers in your country. Do you just not use buns?

The top and bottom lines are buns, dumbass

>just click the identity symbol