/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to produce a fine mechanical watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

jomashop.com/glycine-watch-3898-19at-sb-mb.html
watchpart.co.uk/omega-ville-axial-chronoscope-bracelet-020st1674994-p-4189.html
longislandwatch.com/Marathon_General_Purpose_Watch_p/ww194003.htm
longislandwatch.com/Bertucci_11043_watch_p/11043.htm
longislandwatch.com/Bertucci_12027_Watch_p/12027.htm
aliexpress.com/store/product/W10002-37-watches-men-luxury-brand-DW-fashion-casual-military-analog-quartz-relogio-masculino-genuine-leather/737887_32380609188.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f72/1963-chinese-air-force-style-watches-thomas-others-821627-136.html
youtube.com/watch?v=t086Ah8Nkm0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for archibald chesterfield the third

first for shitters belong on r/watches

first for chinese shitters and chinks belong on r/asianmasculinity

Reminder that /r/watches has less shitters than /wt/

>If I buy a "SWISS MADE" Omega Speedmaster I don't expect the parts to come from China

Try looking up what "swiss made" means on wikipedia

What watch would suit my gf?

gold-plated generic quartz chinkshit with fake chrono pushers & dials

Looking for a reliable SWISS MEME that won't break the bank?

I gotchu senpai. For less than $300 dollhairs you get a ETA-2824 (they call it Calibre 224)

jomashop.com/glycine-watch-3898-19at-sb-mb.html
Deal ends 11.04, supposedly

Anyone have any experience with the brand?

It's an invicta brand

I know how the fucking mountains jew abuse "swiss made" to the death and while I expect that from steinhart of a CoWARD watch I don't expect it from a 6000 dollar watch.

What part can't you understand? Do you think Omega's are fairly priced if they are 50% made in China?

>Do you think Omega's are fairly priced if they are 50% made in China?

No but that isn't your argument.

You're arguing that china has an inability to produce any commodities to a high standard.

What watch would suit my gf?

no wonder it's so ugly. is it possible to get a eta 2824 powered watch lower than that price?

She has some ugly feet.

What is a good and (cheap) Seiko Mecaquartz chrono.

I want one out of interest so cheap. But want to actually wear it sometimes.

>42mm case
>18mm band

More like 90% made in China. They're just assembled in Switzerland.

My wife's £1000 Omega watch bracelet was also made in China.

watchpart.co.uk/omega-ville-axial-chronoscope-bracelet-020st1674994-p-4189.html

Federal HST

Stienhart Ocean One is 330 Euros and I always thought that was the cheapest ETA 2824 so I guess not.

What's the different between a part made in china to a high standard and a part made in Switzerland to a high standard?

Does a Chinese man touching your watch offend you?

Small Field watches

Marathon longislandwatch.com/Marathon_General_Purpose_Watch_p/ww194003.htm

Bertucci longislandwatch.com/Bertucci_11043_watch_p/11043.htm
longislandwatch.com/Bertucci_12027_Watch_p/12027.htm

>tfw """"""swiss""""" made Invicta with a Seiko movement

I did not argue that.

You pulled the racist card so I made a racist comment supporting the other posters disgust at getting chinese made goods at """luxury""" high end prices.

Chinese made goods do not compare to European made goods.They CAN make comparable goods but 999/1000 times they DON'T

N O M O S
O
M
O
S

>I did not argue that.

>59801005

I'm looking for a quartz that has sweeping second hand. Cheap and small as possible.

see

>Chinese made goods do not compare to European made goods

Then why has Europe's manufacturing industry almost completely died?

All this crying about "Luxury" watches made in China should make you realise that ALL "luxury" watches are overpriced as fuck and no watch deserves to be over $1,000

You think a "luxury" watch suddenly becomes worth it's astronomical price just because it was touched by some mountain Jew?

Watch makers are outsourcing their manufacturing to china because there's literally no difference in quality.

You're paying for the mystique of a swiss man touching your watch thanks to successful advertising.

Why isn't the Casio MDV-106-1A more popular?

>Quartz

>Well made item designed for a job becomes a luxury item

Why does this keep happening?

Land Rover had changed their entire design and marketing from building vehicles that farmers used for work, to luxury items for rich cunts.

You're even starting to see "luxury" pick up trucks with leather seats.

Hey /wt/, it's my wife and I's first anniversary next month and we are looking into getting a luxury watch to share (budget of $2000 max). I have 6.1inch wrists and she has 6.3 inch wrists. We are currently looking at pic related as it is 36mm which shouldn't look too large on either of our wrists. I think the red outlines on the numerals looks great but her son thinks it looks "pink and gay". Any other recommendations for a dressy, small unisex watch in our budget?

youre budget is too small

may as well just get a his&hers timex and a submariner for your wife's son

>my wife

fuck off normie

Forgot the image...

user please tell me this is bait

nevermind, tell me THIS is bait

my thought exactly

Need a watch that's as uninspired as my normiecunt life. Was thinking about this, what do you think /wt/?

aliexpress.com/store/product/W10002-37-watches-men-luxury-brand-DW-fashion-casual-military-analog-quartz-relogio-masculino-genuine-leather/737887_32380609188.html

Should I buy this $11 denzel washington?

>that one watch from the ads on watchuseek

universally considered to be junk

>It never ceases to amaze me how the "lowly fashion watches" often have more exciting, better-looking styles than the "respected brands." I believe that's the case here with these two Boss watches.

user, that's obviously fake. Stupid chinks even put the "D" backwards in the logo.

steel sub for you and two tone datejust with diamond markers.
> shouldn't be married if you can't afford this now or in the near future.

Denzel Washington Classic Black: for the man too stupid to match the metal on his wrist to the metal on his belt.

But user, that is fucking ugly.

Ed made a new style of 1963

Two minor problems with your argument:

1) To the extent that non-Chinese companies are able to produce anything better than horrible quality non QC'd garbage in China it is because those companies are sending outside observers and management to watch the Chinese manufacturers like a fucking hawk so they don't cheat them, and doing their own QC to make sure the stuff coming out of the factory isn't complete garbage.

2) To the extent that the Swatch Group does outsource manufacturing to mainland China, this is precisely reflected in their watches being of a laughably bad manufacturing quality and finishing standard for the price. A $4,000 Omega Aqua Terra is noticeably worse dial/case/hands/bracelet quality than a $500 Seiko Brightz (no, I'm not kidding.)

No, moron, the issue is that the mainland Chinese literally don't believe in business ethics. They will lie, cheat, steal and poison you to make an extra $0.02, and will do so without any shame or remorse whatsoever.

The only way to get anything made there that isn't toxic garbage is to impose external monitoring and QC on them.

Where to fucking buy cunter?

No idea, but the watch was posted here

forums.watchuseek.com/f72/1963-chinese-air-force-style-watches-thomas-others-821627-136.html

Except that a Rolex utterly shits all over all those fake "Swiss" marketing driven "brands" that exist to shove ETA movements into chinesium cases and pawn them off on normie suckers at hilarious markups.

There are still a few watchmakers out there who actually care about the quality of the products they make and charge a reasonable price for them. They aren't all or even mainly Swiss, however, as the Swiss industry is basically garbage until you get to Rolex and up pricing.

Rolex are good but that doesn't mean they're not overpriced.

Their prices have risen over inflation despite manufacturing becoming cheaper.

@59801428
Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 it 8/8

> @

Could you give me some good examples please? I'm quite new to watches and have fallen for the Swiss meme

Seiko

Of course Rolex is overpriced, but at least they still make high quality watches and haven't turned into utterly rapacious hucksters like virtually the entire rest of the Swiss production watch industry.

a regular COSC certified ETA movement is only a "chronometer", but a rolex is a "superlative chronometre". note the spelling, that's crucial

I'm a newfag around here and haven't watched a single archie video yet.
So, /wt/, recommend me some essential AC3 kino

youtube.com/watch?v=t086Ah8Nkm0

100% srs -

you should watch as many ac3/paul pluta vids (WATCH vids - the thai/singa shit/mental illness/depression vids are SHITTERS) or else youll be a homos/seiko/chink shit poster here, which are the cancer of this hobby

and dont forget to like, subscribe and tell your FUCKHEAD friends about his channel.
man cannot live on google ads alone

yep this is why I've fallen for the Swiss meme.
I'm looking at like £2k minimum it seems.
(probably not rolex)

Entry level:
Vostok
Orient
Seiko
MIyota 9015 powered micro-brands

$500 - $1,000:
Seiko
Orient Star (I hate them all aesthetically but the quality is decent)

$1000 - $3000:
Sinn (good tech and fair prices for ebauche powered watches)
Damasko (As above)
Nomos (First new true in-house production watchmaker since the 1970s)
Grand Seiko quartz

$3000 - $7,500:
Nomos DUW 3001 and 4401 powered models
Grand Seiko mechanical
Rolex
Jaeger LeCoultre entry level models
Omega Speedmaster Professional (and ONLY this model)
Zenith (buy used to avoid the vicious depreciation and don't buy an ugly one)

$7,500+
Girard Perregaux
Jaeger LeCoultre
Piaget
A. Lange & Sohne
Vacheron Constantin
Patek Phillipe

That's just off the top of my head and I'm sure there are some omissions. A few here who hate Nomos' aesthetics will bitch about their inclusion but that's an argument of aesthetic preference rather than quality and horological merit.

Imagine finding out your dad died and only left you a seiko.

Perfect

>Sinn
>Fair price

Kek

good luck telling the time without a kupfersulfat capsule shitwit

Are Damasko's much cheaper? Is anyone else doing what Sinn does in terms of hardened cases, dehummidifying technology, and extremely well built highly legible designs with high grade ebauches at a significantly cheaper price?

If so, please point me to them.

do you have that video when someone baited archie make him belive someone wanted to chgange a patek for a nomos??
he went fucking crazy as always

THIS
Archie's non-filler videos are the ultimate redpill to newbies. A bit harsh at first but very educational that even a total idiot will learn.

"A Seiko" could be anything from an Astronomical Observatory Chronometer worth $20,000 to a Seiko 5 worth $0.02

It would depend on which Seiko it was. Seiko made a lot of GREAT watches in the late 1960s and into the 1970s

Sad!

I dunno but $1,000+ is far too much for watches as boring and ugly as Sinn watches.

Most of them have fucking painted dials.

The quality of the printing on those dials doesn't really show from pictures but is quite noticeable in person. I was really impressed by an 856 I handled up close.

The point I was making is that a $1,000 watch shouldn't have a printed dial.

Come on even $20 chinese shitters have applied markers.

Do you understand why Damasko and Sinn have printed dials? It's not because its cheaper to make, you know. It's because Sinn watches are based on the bold and easy to read dials used on airplane cockpit instrument clocks. Damasko started off as a parts maker for Sinn that branched out into making watches in the same genre. That whole genre of watches necessarily uses printed dials.

>ordeted an american made leather nato from crown and buckle
>just got delivery confirmation
>won't be off work for another two hours
Can't wait to slap that shit onto my seamaster

>"hey user we know how you love watches so your mom and I decided you should have a real luxury watch to remember us by"
>Open box
>Quartz tag heuer

How shook are you?

Reminder you will be expected to wear it every time you visit for the next 20 years

Just got a Seiko SARB017.

I would be like:
>"fuck me dead, what can I say"
>"this is a fucking shitter! A nasty, vile fucking shitter, dad"

in a few months, tell them it failed and they didn't have any replacement units in inventory, so they let you pick something else.

they won't check whether it's actually an affiliated brand as long as you get something swiss.

Well meme'd my friend.

How does it run? Mine runs 10 show a day and i think i should get it regulated as that's kinds shit.

anyone have experience with zelos? i saw someone post a shot of their lumed crown, wondering how the finishing quality is - i pledged for the new visionary, wondering if i wasted $450 on it.

I actually prefer a narrower bracelet, myself

sure, but you wouldn't hang a 42mm case off it... would you? i hope not.

Not mad at all at least tag makes some decent looking utility watches and it's not a fossil. Though I'd never go out of my way to buy one

I'd be fine with that. Seiko makes some solid as fuck watches.

my dad had one in the 80s and 90s. i hope he didn't get rid of it.

top kek

Mine is brand new and runs just as yours, around 5 to 10 seconds off a day.

why not, 45mm sumo has a 20mm bracelet and it fits good

Now that spring and summer are upon us I'll probably not be able to wear my Metro/leather watch. It's my most frequently worn watch.

Are there true sweat or water resistant leather straps that don't look terrible?

What is the most utilitarian and unoffensive fashion wise watch out there?

I have a waveceptor and I love the satellite time. I don't care about mechanical/heritage/etc. I just want accurate as fuck time, and for it to look acceptable paired with a suit.

How expensive a suit we talking about here?

sub