Monitors

is the u2515 the best panel you can get below 400 $ for office werk?

i've been thinking of getting one but dont know if it would be better to invest in higher resolution or Hz TN panels.

Other urls found in this thread:

tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=7pR-uAeUaSI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is one of the absolute worst times up buy a monitor. 10 bit hdr panels are barely out.

Replace up with to.

I got two of the asus models (same panel as the Dell U2515H) last year for $265 a piece. Certainly the best panel for that price at the time.

I'm enjoying very much my u2414 awesome panel , just a barely noticeable bit of IPS glow on the bottom right thought.

Had it, amazing screen hands down, but it was too small at 1440p so i eventually sold it, it hurt my eyes irrevocally and to this day i still have problems looking at screens too bright even at far distance, my brow starts itching and my eyes weighting currently got the lg 27ud68 which is 4k at 27 so its even worse but i run it at 200% scaling since at that level image quality is exactly the same as 1080p at 27" and i can still consume 4i content when i want, my recomendation is if your gonna get it only use it during yhe day and pretty close to you, otherwise get the 27" at 1440p dell u2717h

>IPS

Any VA recommendations? I can't stand the IPS glow and the shitty contrast.

Benq 2765

^look at this guy and laugh

Stay mad, IPShill

I have one but I know fuck all about monitors so I can help much. All I know it's that it has no dead pixels and and little back light bleeding. Also if you buy from Dell online, make sure to ask for a student discount. I got 15% off and didn't even have to provide proof.

its just a screen, your eyes must have been bad before

lol what a load of dicks.

If you think 117 PPI is TOO dense and it damaged your eyes you're literally retarded.

People were using 1440p+ resolutions on CRT monitors that were 15-22" in size. If you think 25" 1440p is too small you're just retarded.

it's not the monitor itself retard, its the need for reading and viewing information the one that ruins your eyes, 1440p at 25 inches is a disaster for reading which i did the most, even at 125% scaling it extenuates the eyes easily

Then you were seated way too far back.

Sorry, but I have three of these panels and spend 70% of my time editing and reviewing medical PDFs (lots of small font subtext and similar).
I have no issues whatsoever and this is with ~14 months of daily 8+ hours of use.

>he doesn't have a separate monitor in portrait setup for reading
is good for writing scripts too

Eyes don't work that way. I suspect you were squinting, which does cause strain. When was your last eye test?

>even at 125% scaling it extenuates the eyes easily

Sorry but this just confirms you're a retard.

125% scaling on 1440p makes it 1080p equivalent. Meaning it should look like a 25" 1080p panel.

So you're telling me, even a 24" 1080p monitor is too dense for reading?
Come the fuck on.

I have two U2515Hs. Love them.

Bought one two years ago on the Dell outlet for $140. Should've bought more. It's so great.

I have a u2515h for little over a year now.
Paid about 3 times the original price in the US because of this shitty country I live in, fucking my ass with abusive taxes with anything tech related. Fuck my life.

The monitor is great, thou.

> U2515 masterrace

Some say 2k @ 25" is too dense, but it's fine. Colours are so vibrant,

U2717D all the way baby.

Second this. I'm the other user who got one cheap and one free theough an amazon fuck up. Love them

>8ms

You fucked up laddy. 5ms minimum.

>This is one of the absolute worst times up buy

Fuck off, according to one of you retards it's always the worst time to buy something

Unless you're a "pro" gaymer, you'll hardly notice a difference between 8ms and 5ms.

Hell back in 2008-2010 8ms was considered pretty fucking good, because 12-15ms were more standard for IPS panels at the time.

And even at 12-15ms, they were perfectly usable for gaming outside of professional FPS gamers. But unless you're at a VERY high level, you would hardly notice otherwise.

Not to mention the U2515H has a 6ms "fast" mode if you're really that autistic.

It's all usable. I'm a fucking console gamer and I notice the difference between 2ms and 5ms easily. 5ms is good. anything below that is a bit obvious. I'm surprised that pc gamers, who spend shit loads and care so fucking much about graphics and performance don't mind 8ms. Baffling.

Because it's simply not noticeable for pretty much anything but high level rhythm games or FPS's.

If you don't play those, or only play those on a casual basis, you wont give a fuck about the difference between 2ms and 8ms+

Anyone doing photo editing or similar color conscious work would happily sacrifice the response time for better viewing angles and accurate color reproduction.

Computers are used for far more than just gaming, and if gaming is your only motivation, then you're ignoring what 99% of computers are being used for, professional production and work projects.

I agree with pretty much everything you said but most people have high end pcs to play games first. 8ms compared to 2 or 5 is obvious to me on most type of games. If people don't care or notice the difference they shouldn't be spending fucking thousands of pounds to play games in the first place.

WITH PRICES AS LOW AS $1999.99 + TAX WHO COULD SAY NO???

P2715Q is 4k and costs about the same

>vertical 16:9
looks shit

he's right

you're retarded.
Literally no one said anything about that in regard to monitors for like the past 7 years.

This is finally the first big change in monitors that is an objectively better. Especially in the case in OLED ones.

>16:9
they're all shit

poorfag

specifically what are you forward to coming out in the near future or are you just mentioning price drops in november/december?

HDR10 120hz OLED monitors.

>shouldn't be spending fucking thousands of pounds to play games in the first place.
Read the OP
>best panel you can get below 400 $ for OFFICE WERK?
Key words there being office work.

Not to mention, a lot of the hardware which is gaming hardware can be used just fine in professional use.

Ive had a number of issues with mine.
I still like it, its a wonderful monitor for Cad and general works as i can fit 3 full documents side by side. Great color after adjusting it slightly to remove the faded out look. Works well for gaming too if you set it to fast refresh mode.

My complaints:

1. Uses non standard implementation of DP1.2a, causes random flickering and sometimes totally drops picture. Reverting to 1.1 standard fixes this, but then you cannot daisy chain.

2. The included cables with it have next to no shielding. Running the power cable through the routing hole in the stand introduced a lot of weird "banding" effects to the display.

the mini DP port cable also had no shielding and would often get a "shimmer" near white objects like text entry fields.

Replacing power cable with one from another appliance, and getting a DP to DP port cable that was jacketed improved this dramatically.

3. It uses an older standard of HDMI and will not accept 1440 over HDMI, even though the devices i tried are 4k capable.

4. the included stand is pretty garbage : it allows a lot of wobble in the display as you type or move around. You need to invest in a better mount, maybe a wall or larger arm vesa mount.

5. This monitor while it has amazing color and contrast, has massive IPS glow in the corners when displaying darker colours, its distracting if you want to watch a space movie or play games with lots of cinematic cut scenes.

>3. It uses an older standard of HDMI and will not accept 1440 over HDMI, even though the devices i tried are 4k capable.
That's gotta be something on your end.

I'm running two of these with HDMI and one with DP.

A number of reviews on amazon state that it refuses to do 2k with their laptops,desktops, or streaming devices. It caps me out at 2050x1300 or some other odd arbitrary resolution despite my laptop and cables being 4k ready.

It has problems automatically setting itself to the proper resolution. But nothing stops you from going into your GPU settings and forcing 2560x1440p

Trust me, I have been running them daily for months like this.

I also kinda wonders if you have the newer version or older one. So far only the people that complained about flickering over DP1.2a seemed to complain about not doing 2k over HDMI.

I personally think there was a hardware change at some point in the monitors production plans. Ive had my monitor over a year. Forcing a resolution through the GPU drivers don't actually make the display work at 2k over HDMI, its still fuzzy and distorted. Not really a big issue since i have display ports, but kinda a let down.

Weird, mine are a year old in 2 weeks.

They aren't fuzzy at all with the proper custom res settings for me.

Hell, even looking at the dell support sites, it seems they recommend setting a custom resolution.

When will we close the resolution gap between phones and monitors?

It's nonsense than a cheap phone ($200) can have the same resolution as a monitor that's not much lower in price. People talk about 8K these days but 1080p still remains standard on desktops.

it must definitely be yours, or rather a subset of them. we almost exclusively use them at work (8+ monitors) also for over a year now and nobody ever had those kinds of problems. the only issue we ever had was that the power and mini display port were a bit lose and would loose connection when you knock the screen

Try setting a custom resolution AND custom timing.

Try at 45hz and move up to 59hz, 60hz doesn't work 99% of the time and provides fuzzy text.

59Hz with CVT-reduced timing worked fine for me, but it can vary depending on your GPU, HDMI cable, etc.

Making smaller screens is cheaper. go figure.

this does lead me to another complaint about it, though more about dell than anything : shipped it to me just in the normal retail box. it was delivered and left on the portico of my apartment not more than 20 minutes after i left for work that day.

At least when the shipped my laptop it came in a regular cardboard box. I'm amazed the monitor was still there when i got home.

As far as what the dell websites tout : my precision laptop was touted as having optimus / power play, but dell never released drivers that allowed that to function properly, introduced a lot of lag and such : their official fix was "turn off the iGPU in the bios" Neither the Firepro or Quadro drivers have been updated in over a year, with no intention of fixing it. They also pushed Bios updates claiming to fix the issues that only made them worse.

Ive not really been impressed with them in the last 5 years or so.

im sure its a subset, as there are a lot of complaints on amazon/spiceworks/dell forums.

But many more people are incredibly happy with them.

ill have to try that in the future, right now the only thing i have going to the monitor is my laptop dock. Moved anything else out into the common room with the bigger screen.

it is annoying as fuck:

lol, i did an entire arch install with mine. cuck

Works fine with Xubuntu on my precision and latitudes. Dunno what to tell you. Power nap also works where it auto dims or cuts off the display once the screensaver has been activated.

reading this shit makes me happy I went with the Asus version.

It doesn't do the DP daisy chaining, but it also doesn't seem to have these weird HDMI issues.

it could just be my luck with monitors.
If i buy more 2k monitors, im pretty sure it wont be a dell. Might go with a Samsung: my Syncmaster t240HD from like 2007 still works great other than one FL tube being slightly dimmer than the rest.

more anecdotes:
I had a rMBP from work that I ordered with a display, refused to do the full res over thunderbolt, refused to allow brightness changes, apple BT mouse and keyboard refused to connect to the mac book. I was not impressed.

I returned in in about a month and just got my latitude atg back, which seems to work fine with all my shit.

What model # is the Asus version?

PB258Q

There is only a single 25" 1440p 60hz IPS panel in production (made by LG) and it is used in the Dell U2515H, Asus PB258Q, and two Acer models.

Dell has the pick of the crop, Asus gets next pick. Acer takes the remaining panels (for a discount since they're the least desirable)

I got one last January. It's the balls man. Really great for movies and coding. I guess Vidya too if you don't mind the 60hz.

I can't decide if i want to get a 24 or 27" ... my 22" is O-K at the moment.

Gaming wise i mostly play RTS, 4x, RPGs, adventure games... not so much into multiplayer twitch shooters, so 144hz is really not necessary.

I would however quite like a built in USB hub, decent colour accuracy, and a decent resolution.

Yeah, don't fall for the Dell shills on Sup Forums, also had the flickering shit with this piece of garbage... FUCK YOU DELL

I love mine personally, will buy another one in July

Apparently that's fixed by getting better shielded cables (both power cable and Displayport)

Maybe we are talking about different bugs. My Dell used to go nuts after a few minutes... it went black then the picture came back and then it went black again and so on... only turning the monitor off and on again stopped this.

Im talking about this specific model, the U2515H.

Dell in general makes dozens and dozens of different monitors using all types of panels and scalers. You can't just blanket say ALL dell monitors are shit.

In terms of vertical height are 29" monitors equivalent to a 24" or more like a 20"?

that sounds like the DP1.2a bug
If you revert to 1.1 settings through the monitors osd, it will fix the black flicker.

This is a documented bug with this monitor, and its apparently worse if you have an AMD gpu that is very strict in needing absolute standards compliant devices.

I have used both an AMD FirePro and a Nvidia Quadro with this display, and noticed the same issues for both.

The shielded cables fixed other issues such as "shimmering" when white objects like text fields are near darker objects, and some strange color banding that was in only horizontal lines. Not the picture drop outs.

Debating between the P2416D/U2515H/UP2516D. Ultimately all that I care about is colour/panel quality. VESA mountable is also preferred. If I do game then I'm not bothered about response time - 5ms/8ms is good enough for me. 100% sRGB is a must, Adobe RGB is not really important.

The prices of the U2515s have sky rocketed it seems in the UK, I'm struggling to find them below £330. Are they worth that?

Better alternatives to dell? Absolutely no more than £380/ea.

And I am talking about that one too, Mr. Dell apologist.

Well... I can't see a great deal of backlight bleeding on yours?

diff user, i had no idea, thats legit though. so where are you getting this info? i would like to check that same info out about the newer models

shocking, like literally every single IPS monitor on the market. It will depend on the specific unit you get.

Mine don't have backlight bleed either, but my friend got 2 and one of his has terrible bleed in the bottom left corner.

Happens with monitors from pretty much every manufacturer.

> 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz
> 2017

No.

I can personally highly recommend the AOC Q2775PQU 27". It's 1440p and got a very good AHVA panel which is like IPS without the IPS glow. And it's 10bit. I like mine very much. I'm just recommending it because it's something I bought a month ago that I know and I only recommend things I've used and tried.

Generally I have the following recommendations for you:
- TN is so 2010. These days IPS and similar technologies are getting very cheap. The difference in pricing and availability now is huge compared to what it was just a year ago. The difference between AHVA, IPS and even VA panels and any TN panel is huge when it comes to color accuracy.
- 1080p is so yesterday, you'll never want to go back to that for desktop usage once you've got used to something better. 1440p is a good choice. For 4k you'll have to either fork out an arm and a leg to get anything but garbage washed out TN colors or settle for TN. 1440p is the sweet spot, there are good panels available for less than $400.
- Get a monitor which has a stand that let's you rotate it. You can simply buy a stand or an arm later if it's got a VESA mount but it's really nice when a monitor comes with it.

>but it was too small at 1440p
Why on earth didn't you just set the X server PPI and get the text and things scaled to the correct size?

>If you think 25" 1440p is too small you're just retarded.
Exactly.

>it's always the worst time to buy something
Oh, but it is. It always is. So you might as well buy now because something better will come along in a year regardless of when you buy.

>Unless you're a "pro" gaymer
>professional FPS gamers
There is no such thing. If you lie on the couch in your mom's basement and play videogames all day then you're not a professional anything, you're a worthless NEET parasite.

>400 for an office monitor

AFAIK the newest model is the UP2516D and it uses the same panel but a more advanced backlight array and scaler.

The U2515H and PB258Q are pretty much identical outside of the display port daisy chain and the USB hub that the dell offers.

The Acer G257HU also uses the same panel, but has a shit stand, and I dont think offers VESA mounting.

I know they use the same panel because there exists only a single manufacturer of a 25" IPS 1440p panel, and it's the AH-IPS panel made by LG.

I want ultrasharp with freesync

SE2717H

SE =/= U
shitty stand, but at least IPS I guess

>I know they use the same panel because there exists only a single manufacturer of a 25" IPS 1440p panel, and it's the AH-IPS panel made by LG.

but how/where did you get the info?

eh in that case im sure the newer one looks better(only seen 2515 in person) but for ~+200 doesnt seem worth it for general use

Wel the TFT central review of the U2515H tells us it's an AH-IPS panel from LG.

tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm

And comparing specs and looking around, it's the only panel being produced with these specs. So it's the only option.

Ah... I got my hopes a little too high then. I hear that Dell have a good return warranty though.

They do, but you'd need to have some pretty bad backlight bleed for them to exchange it for you.

Fucking hell, monitor shopping is really beginning to trigger me. UK prices are making them even more off putting.

>He doesn't realize that real high-end monitors have had 10-bit panels for ages

Yeah, you missed the golden period right before brexit last year.

Monitors were a good 50-100 pounds cheaper.

HDR requires a 10 bit panel, however you can have a 10 bit panel without HDR.

>about the same
>$520
FUCK OFF!!!

I'm about to commit a sin, Sup Forums...

I've been looking at S2417DG for a while now, because I want a 24" 1440p monitor (I was considering U2515H, too). Also I want to fall for the G-Sync meme. High refresh rate (165 hz) is a great bonus. It's fairly budget, too (~400) - compared to any other 1440p 120+hz G-Sync monitor. But... but... it's a TN panel. My justification is that currently there is no alternatives for what I want. Or I can't afford it. Also currently using a P2414H, I like it. I'll certainly keep it.

Should I do it?

Since you already have an IPS panel you have two options.

Do any color accurate work or needs on the P2414H, or save up more money until you can afford an IPS 165hz+ panel, there should be more options out by the end of the year for that type of panel anyway.

yes, that's why I plan to keep p2414, partly. I highly doubt there will be more options soon, though. 6-8 months isn't a small timeframe, either.

Hmmm, in which case should I just bottle it and buy 2 U2515Hs for £289 - £310 or do you know of any suitable alternatives? I can't seem to find any others which utilise VESA for the similar price. I see that HP the Z24nq, but I can't seem to find much about it.

Well generally because the focus is on the larger display market currently.

Most people interested in those sorts of displays WANT a 27-34" not a 24".

There are ~5-6 offerings in the larger size range for IPS and 144Hz+. And there will be several more offerings by the end of the year.

>HP the Z24nq
youtube.com/watch?v=7pR-uAeUaSI

Looks pretty decent, but no solid professional reviews out there from what I can see.

If you dont need professional level of color accuracy I'd give these a solid look.

Otherwise the U2515H is an exceptional monitor, especially if you wanted to VESA mount such as

HP offer the Z24nq*
Happy?

Funnily enough, this YouTube channel is a small IT company that is about 4 miles away from me. I found that earlier today.

Whilst I don't necessarily need 'professional' colour accuracy, it is the up-most priority.

>Whilst I don't necessarily need 'professional' colour accuracy, it is the up-most priority.
honestly, knowing HP's previous IPS panels meant for the professional market, they're usually very good when it comes to calibrating from the factory. And the OSD generally allows a wide range of adjustments and settings.

Yes, that's what makes me consider it as an alternative - I've heard HP being a serious contender to Dell.

I was also considering earlier investing in some kind of display calibrator. Something that I could also use on any other devices that I get. Might be worthwhile.

Not sure about the UK, but I have used Spyder calibration devices in 2 previous jobs, they work well and aren't too expensive for consumer models.

>tfw 4690k
>tfw DDR3 RAM and motherboard
>tfw amd R9 280x
>tfw 2012 23" monitor that's starting to go.

I might as well just sell everything off and build a whole new system.

Or you know, just upgrade your GPU and monitor and be fine for 95% of games for the next 2 years.

A part of me wonders if I should just get two U2415s at £254 instead of two U2515Hs at £330

Is the U2515 the same as the U2515H? I own the latter and I've never had any of these issues.