25 years ago Microsoft released Windows 3.11

>25 years ago Microsoft released Windows 3.11
>cementing it's monopoly, it literally proved command line is shit for everyday use
>2017 and linuxtards still insist terminal is a must
explain your autism

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Programmer's_Workshop
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it keeps the scary Chads and Stacies away.

The ideal workflow is a mix of command line and gui

>I'm too stupid to use it so it's bad

This. It is retarded to make it a competition.

Command line apps are composable and their configs are easily repeatable, parallelizable, and serializable.

GUI apps are discoverable, self-documenting, WYSIWYG, and robust (do a lot of related things).

You use them for different purposes, usually.

>what is personal preference?

i'm comfortable with both. if it weren't for shit game support in linux, i'd be using it exclusively. windows 10 with its autist-friendly features such as not being able to set yourself as the administrator and the shitty blue screens with no information on them are so anti power-user its not even funny

looks like you are a pretty smart boy

It is very easy to pipe output from a command line program and to automate it with a bash script. Further, for more complicated commands it is much easier to simply enter a few arguments rather than navigate through a dozen menus, hunting for the right button to click.

Reminder that if you prefer a terminal you very likely have no imagination

>draws a line in paint
>wtf I'm a ''''creative''' now

Reminder that if you believe this you almost certainly don't know how to program.

>when you see a reasonable post and nobody even acknowledges it
this board is full of brainless sheep

I see you like buzzwords, I'm also a front end web dev who loves coffeescript.

> Microsoft released Windows 3.11
So?
It's Windows 95 the first really popular system. Windows 3.1 wasn't yet considered seriously that much.

Here's the thing. Most of the people who talk about how great the command line is are programmer or sysadmin types, people who spend nearly their whole lives in front of a computer and can take the time to learn in exchange for the extra power. GUIs are for consumers, casual users, people who want to use computers without needing to have a deep understanding of how computers actually work. And it's that group that created the market demand for GUIs. You wouldn't have that market for pure CLI operating systems, because the people who knew how to use a CLI were already content with what they had - giving them a GUI wouldn't give them any more power than they already had from the command line. But the introduction of GUIs served to draw in those people who were not comfortable with the command line, and just wanted to be able to run programs without typing in obscure commands. There's a reason why GUIs didn't really catch on until computers began to be used by the common man. Before that, you basically had to be a programmer to use a computer, and after learning FORTRAN, or COBOL, or Pascal, learning to use a command line was essentially trivial.

>he's upset he didn't get his (You)

>windows proved command line is shit
>not based Macintosh

Reminder that this is what Apple had 25 years ago, and it was vastly superior to Poosoft's DOS based, split personality program mananer/file manager, "gui" crap.

None of those are buzzwords, except maybe "robust", which is why I added a further explanation for it.

you've got to ask what windows actually provided
nothing - they continually 'enhanhanced' a marginal GUI. xerox parc had grander ideas, an "information architecture". Gates & co. were amateurs - it remains today an amateur desktop. It has actually deteriorated with 10

No, that's ridiculous. People who need a GUI the most are those who require the computer to do the imagination for them. They're incapable of abstract thought, they just don't "get" the idea that this list of names is supposed to be a folder of documents, or that this letter E is the starship Enterprise, they have to SEE something to believe it. People who have imagination are able to comprehend the difference between the image and the object, and once they realize that, they begin to understand that the same object may have many different representations. This is why non-imaginative people have such a poor understanding of creativity and art, they think its only forms are things like painting and music. But creativity is really just the ability to convert an idea into an effective representation, whether that representation is ink on a page or a line of text on a computer screen.

Mac OS is literally an OS designed for normalfags, it didn't even came with a console until OSX
Not even apple used it themselves to develop shit, they used A/UX

How would you work with graphics without GUI?

There's a difference between logical/abstract and visual thinking
Not saying that you're wrong though

>use linux
>only use the gui
Any other troublemakers iit?

This
>gui when I'm trying to do stuff
>command line when someone's watching and I want to look like a hax0r

Just use a TUI

For what purpose? Why to work with graphics by means of pseudographics, while you can use usual graphics?

Windows 95/98 in the mid to late 90's cemented its monopoly. In '93 there where much better options than x86 and Windows.

I use Linux Mint, i'm not a total idiot, I have installed Arch Linux in a vm and I plan on installing gentoo in a vm when i have some time, and let me tell you guys clicking shit is better than copying commands from the wiki

terminal is for retards, unless you're a programmer or someone who needs to do something very weird and specific like change the name of 500 files at the same time

some niggers on Sup Forums really go out of their way to use the terminal. you kinda have to

cmd doesn't even glob right
you only get globs like foo*, not like *bar which are infinitely more useful imo

only a newborn cunt would actually believe this shit. You never used 3.1, much less know the difference between those.
Fucking cuck, you probably masturbate to blacked videos and your cum guzzling mouth salivates each time some black cock appears on screen.
Die already.

I agree that both have their places, one of the things I never got though was how I've seen some people who don't want to use a GUI file manager.

I get it if you don't really hoard media files or stuff like that, but otherwise seems like a major pain in the ass to browse through everything through cli. I want my fancy thumbmails and ease of browsing without knowing what I'm gonna pick.

This. It's why you run a terminal emulator in a graphical environment instead of omitting the graphical environment altogether.

Install a web browser on Linux in the terminal:
>sudo apt install firefox

Install a web browser on Windows with GUIs:
>find built in web browser and open it
>navigate to a search engine like google.com
>search for Firefox, click on a link
>navigate through the site, find the downloads page, click link to download the appropriate version
>find where the installer got downloaded and run it
>step through the installer

Considering we're talking about normalfags here there's a good chance one of these happened: they went to a spam site that looks official but actually gets you to download malware, they downloaded the wrong installer (either wrong version or wrong architecture), or they weren't paying attention during the installer and installed three toolbars and five pieces of adware.

But remember guys terminals are just for neck beard rejects. Give me a break.

Furthermore normos spend a shit ton of time in front of computers too, even if they do use them as glorified Facebook machines. I'm not saying they should learn how to edit their grub configuration, but is cd, ls, mv, and cp really that fucking complicated? If an average user is going to copy a file let's say 1,000,000 times in their lifetime, why can't they spend 30 seconds learning cp so they can copy things quickly instead of opening file explorer, navigating to the file, right clicking and clicking copy, navigating to the new directory, right clicking inside the directory and clicking paste?

people who can't even find the correct download site aren't going to download a new browser.
they just use whatever is installed.

wow
25 years later and they still use the exact same font

Using bash is like driving stick. Who the fuck is going to steal your car driving stick.

>CLI all the things
Serruously who wants to browse YouTube in their terminal.

>Not using mochascript
shiggy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Programmer's_Workshop
A/UX was also really short lived, while they probably did use it for development most people more than likely used the MPW or other tools that added what they needed, shells aren't a vital component of an operating system

>sudo apt install always works
kek

>it literally proved command line is shit for everyday use
t. someone who never tried Windows 3.11

>being too dumb to use the command line
>will never know the ease of managing all files with a few basic commands
>has to search for hours to get a download link for some program
>has to go to the downloads folder, double click an installer, and click through all the licensing agreements
>is cucked into forcing a reboot when programs misbehave
Must be shit to be a brainlet.

how is using the command line to manage files more effecient than using a tool like freecommander?

Well, no. By cementing its monopoly it proved that GUIs are more consumer friendly than CLI because more people bought it.
This does not prove the CLI is shit for everyday use, as that is very much a subjective opinion.
Many Linux users prefer the command line because of its simplicity, efficiency, and power. Others may not like it because commands and their options may be hard to remember.
I'm not autistic OP, I am simply capable of recognizing logical fallacies

Reasonable post. Macros are a godsent for GUI programms though

Sigh, God, even the gui from Win 3.0/3.1x is far better than the shit that passes for Win Ten gui. I should know cause my first os was Win 3.0 back in the 80286 days. Windows 9x/2000 gui was major improvement. But then it all went down hill from there, Win 7 was a kinda return to glory but then it all turned to shit afterwards

I miss Win 3.1

>windows 3.11
>no tearing issues

U-unfair bruh.

Try replacing the "desktop environment" of windows and see if it'll work better than our XFCE

>t literally proved command line is shit for everyday use

You still had to boot on MS-DOS and run win.exe to launch it.

Have you ever used mps-youtube? Its great

ls -alt /home/usr/docs/meme/*.jpg | grep "OP" | grep "FAG" | less -S

Command line is so autistic

samefag

>>cementing it's monopoly, it literally proved command line is shit for everyday use

Find all the files created by UserX in between 5 and 4 months ago, which are not .rtf and are no more than 4kb, and copy them elsewhere.

>mfw no face that most linux gui programs are wrappers for cli utils

Windows 10 allows you to use Ubuntu Terminal

he said everyday normie use

Just use Compton, senpai.

If you mean Facebook, then yes it's pretty useless.

>Mac OS is literally an OS designed for normalfags, it didn't even came with a console until OSX

And yet nobody missed it. In the early days there were some tools which would capture/replay events for macro capability. Later that role was filled by AppleScript.

Apart from automation you don't really need a CLI. I'm not against having one. You can memorize frequently used commands making them faster to execute, and sometimes it's easier to automate something by just stringing some commands together (vs. a more complex system like AppleScript).

But I don't get why people love CLIs or wear them as a badge of honor. It's just a primitive interface to the same functions that a GUI invokes.

i see nothing wrong with this?

I use older pre-X PPC/68k boxes all the time and I find myself missing it, it may not be necessary, but it's a nice, fluid experience when you're used to it. Luckily, things like A/UX, MPW and MachTen existed.

But it's very agreeable that people who think themselves enlightened or knowledgeable because they use a CLI are insufferable pieces of shit. It's not difficult to master one with enough repetition, the reason most people don't today is because more often than not the need simply does not present itself to the point that mastering a CLI is a compelling option.

One of my favourite implementations of a CLI in a graphical system was on the Amiga where you could insert clickable buttons for options within a command line. I know you can click in xterm, but they were actual buttons like what you'd find on a GUI program. It's hard to explain but it blew my mind the first time I saw it.

I think a lot of the attraction for the CLI is a super simple method of control, but that doesn't really mean leaving a GUI, just rethinking the paradigm.

I'm using powershell for everyday windows server stuff, your argument is invalid

most windows server gui also wrapper for powershell

OP's "arguments" BTFO'd by ms shitself

>The only people who can't figure out bash are Americans
wut

Just use both. Textual GUIs FTW!

>it's monopoly
>it is monopoly
Anyway, command line is unnecessary on ubuntu and other babby distros. If you're running a server distro, OTOH, then of course you'll need the console. Programmers use consoles constantly even on Windows for obvious reasons.

>CLI magically knows which is the appropriate version for you

Actually, it would be wise.

how teh command dos dis ?

These are me:
Some people just aren't retarded, and realize both GUI and CLI have their place.

>cmd.Exe exists
>Powershell exists
>Literally added bash into windows now

Ya the command line is a tool we can go without