What is the best linux distro for productivity?

What is the best linux distro for productivity?

Other urls found in this thread:

yarnpkg.com/en/docs/install
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

openSUSE with KDE

Ubuntu because it's supported.

Install solus.

Ubuntu or Fedora, since you can just install them and go about your business.

manjaro kde

Anything based on debian or debian itself.

unironically ubuntu.
It has by far the most support (for any work applications), and is also easy to install/configure.

t. archfag.

opensuse tumbleweed is quite good
im just using elementary os

ubuntu

t. archtist

OP here

I am currently using Arch Linux but I spend enough time ricing it (which is even less than one hour per week) to deem it unacceptable.

I started with Ubuntu and went to Arch. I learned SO MUCH with Arch, but now I sort of have plateau'd and I would prefer to switch to a less distracting distro.

I have acquired some distaste for Ubuntu due to botnet but I still feel heavly inclied towards coming back to it.

The other one which greatly me pulls me is Debian. I don't even know why, it just feels more "professional".

What about ubuntu server and installing i3wm?

windows

I really hate these threads. Its not your fault OP, but hear me out.

Every distro is almost exactly the same, other than package manager and default DE/WM. Some have other little tweaks, but for the most part they are all the same.

Stop focusing on which distro will do X or Y for you. You can rice any distro. You can make any distro productive. You can make any distro look EXACTLY like another. Pick one you like and go from there.

Arch, because AUR is amazing.

Microsoft Windows

You'd end up installing Microsoft Windows if you knew what's good for you. So much time wasting with Linux. It's just another way of doing something, but with more distraction.

Fuck you.

If by productivity you mean programming, then easily Arch Linux (use antergos or arch anywhere if you just want to install it fast). Arch has more packages to install from package manager than other distros, and it's easier to install. For example take a look at ubuntu/debian vs arch here:
yarnpkg.com/en/docs/install

Also Ubuntu software center has been unusable ever since it came out (~7 year ago) because of bugs.

If you are serious about productivity then Microsoft Windows 10 is the only choice

haiku > linux

Debian Sid

Just install it and enable unattended updates. You literally will not have to perform any maintenance on it ever again.

From my experience you will still have to provide shot like automounting USB volumes, audio, networkmanager etc. At this point it doesn't differ from arch or gentoo so just stick with an actual DE

What kind of productivity? I spent years doing Java development on an ancient copy of Red Hat 5 because I was too lazy to upgrade and as long as my IDE started okay it worked just fine. The only reason you would care about the specific distro you are using is if you are creating software to run on a Linux desktop. Everything done server side would be through command line anyways.

Maybe. It's hard to suggest a linux disto that wont allow you to rice, they allow you to to some degree. I'd just stick with arch.

same here nigga, arch at home but ubuntu at workplace or servers.

Unity though. Its unique.

This. And if you have the knowhow coming from Arch, then install a minimal installation and forgo the bloat.

Arch on home pc, debian on server and mint on t420.

>ubuntu bloated/botnet
just min install

>in general
*buntu
>I'm programming and I want my shit more up-to-date than that
Fedora
>I don't like either of those
Debian

Debian or netinstall Ubuntu.
Also Fedora because Red Hat.
Everything else is a meme.

>Mint
After two good choices why this?

>any distro is isomorphous to any other
While in theory correct, in practice you can't just install a different DE and have everything work as well as it would have done if you'd used a distro with that DE as default. There are so many tiny issues you encounter when you try. You would need deep knowledge of Linux, your distro's tools, various gnu bullshit, X, your WM, your DE, and so much else to even get started. There's a reason they provide flavours of Ubuntu instead of just providing one with a drop down menu.

Realistically you wouldn't use Linux in a professional productive environment (with a few rare exceptions such as vfx houses). Technical and creative workers should get Macs and admin workers should use Windows. Gamedev is all Windows because Apple seems to hate 3D.

The same is pretty much true for personal setups. By buying a thinkpad and installing arch instead of getting an MBP, you're essentially trading the few hundred dollars difference for countless hours of frustration. Unless you're very poor and your time really is worth very little, this just doesn't make sense.

Who is that semen demon

Windows. Linux is counterproductive.

kek

Absolute nonsense.

I say that as a programmer who has evaluated a ton of Linux and Windows based environments and settled on macOS. I hackintoshed before I eventually bought real hardware; it's a great way to evaluate the OS but it wasn't quite stable enough to stick with in my case.

Nice blog, wow, you're a programmer? Holy shit dude, you certianly know your stuff eyy.

OSX is good software but I wouldn't give apple a penny on principle. As a t. analytical chemist, all of my work is done on linux. Do you want me to book your genius bar appointment in advance, code monkey?

Is it fake, brother?

I mentioned my profession to give context to my evaluation of the OSes. I understand that Linux is appropriate in some cases, and I even named one (VFX). It sounds like your field is another and I'm glad you/your workplace have found a setup that works well for you.

What the hell do you mean by productivity?

Ubuntu, unironically

It's got the "It just werks" seal of approval

t. excel monkey

It doesn't! I have had it and it broke constantly. Had to fix it all the time.

Don't use Kali, it's irritating as fuck..

S L A C K
W
A
R
E

mint

just buy a motherfucking mac

why is he such an angry asshole tho? he's like an ape stomping his feet cause someone stepped on his territory Lol

Just proving him wrong with while having a dig. Did you even read his first post?

Solus. It just werks

Kevin, go to bed.

If you like Unity go for Ubuntu
If you like ultimate stability go for Debian (with the DE you like)
If you want the latest software with stability go for Fedora (with the DE you like)
If you want ultimate productivity and you are a linux pro (no fear of terminal) you can use a tiling window manager (super fast to open/switch/tile applications) but you will need some time to rice and to set this setup (it can be a nightmare to rice sometimes...)