Is learning webdev a viable way to get out of minwagecuckery?

Is learning webdev a viable way to get out of minwagecuckery?

Well?

No. Pic related. It's the number of pajeets who will take your potential job this year.

Not for long

one can only hope so, user

I'd like to tell you the IT field is a little easier
>school districts and businesses still need their shit fixed by a local person
however
>cloud services have killed off many IT jobs
So I don't know a good answer for you.
>$16/hour boring but easy job here

Honestly yes. It's your easiest path into development. I have a high school diploma and salary 65k/yr doing front end dev. Took a few years of freelance web design but you need to play the long strategy game here, don't expect your life to switch overnight this is a decision you have to make and commit to

Are "IT Pros" ultimately doomed to live a life of insignificance if they never switch over to development? Anytime I hear programmers weigh in on career paths they always spout some stupid bullshit about how satisfying it is to be able to create something instead of just working on a product someone else made

if you're any good at it.
maybe.

no. every 12 year old girl can use wix.com to make her uncle a website for free.

a lot of jobs are like that.
IT or not.

I'm doing "sysadmin" cancer right now and it's a combination of wtf and just pain.
I've also done dev roles that were basically trying your hardest to make a shitty situation less shit.

just keep switching jobs til you're "happy"

Why are meme web frameworks the highest paying then?

>webdev
>making more than minimum wage

I earn about 50$ a day freelancing by only doing 1 hour jobs, imagine if I gave myself to do it 10 hours a day
you can do this user

Is it really worth it lads?

How do you get started freelancing?

because people using meme web frameworks are probably working for a company that actually needs a website and not some meme, shitware CMS.

Stick with a modern framework (Angular, React, Vue, Aurelia, etc) and learn as much as you can. Modern Enterprise Apps all rely on those frameworks nowadays. Study about best practices and publish your work on github (as meaningless as they might be). The game here is to stay ahead always, don't stick with old practices, otherwise you'll become an outdated cog

What do you mean by the github thing?

Like just make random shit and upload it?

What is the one framework/stack I should focus on to get into web dev as quickly as possible?

I don't want to waste my time trying out different memes, I only want to fall for one meme right now.

So what is the "modern" go-between for web apps and RDBMS? Is it still PHP?

it is if you enjoy webdev / sysadmin and enjoy drama (clients make alot of it)

This.

Right now I'm falling for the Django meme but I need to know what will get me on the express road to riches.

webdev is awful and the least secure type of programming work

indeed.com -> Search for front end jobs. React, in the US has 50k offers, Angular has 11k. Pick one and look up on how stuff works with them.

But it's also the easiest, has the most jobs, and still pays pretty well (maybe not the best in tech, but not the worst)

Modern stack is mostly js (Typescript if you using angular/Vue, jsx on react) and you communicate with the server through Json.

Back end can be whatever you feel comfortable. Node.js+mongo is huge nowadays, but if you want to be old school, java with Jax-rs+mysql/php will suffice.

I am a factory fag willing to study CS/IT/Networking On the side to pick myself up.

Any tips?

In case you're confused about the "right tool", just lookup job opportunities, and you'll see which one is getting the most attention. Forgot to mention, Golang is also very popular

Webdev seems to pay well for the level of knowledge you need.

Sure systems engineers with 20 years experience make more but it's apples to oranges

Github.com/explore. Look daily! There are a lot of stuff for newcomers there! Also: freecodecamp.com

start with the A+ if you want the "IT" side and see if you like that. See Professor Messer on youtube.

Webdev is a different ballpark. sign up at freecodecamp.com and see if you like it.

I'm currently learning web dev full-stack right now. I'm starting to get a decent portfolio and I'll be job ready probably in the next few months or so. Is it better to be a freelancer/remote developer or to work full time in an office setting?

It is not that hard to get going into modern web decelopment. You just have to have discipline to study and practice! There's no magic behind it, and everyone can do it.

My brother was a factory worker. He learned programming on his own and did some hobby stuff for a couple of years. He then spent $10k on a full time web dev coding school and got hired within about 2 weeks after finishing. He's only making $40k though which is less than he was making doing factory work, but I'm sure he'll be making a lot more after a couple of years.

I would advice you to get into a company first. I know it sucks, but you don't have to stay there forever. Companies are valuable because you learn to deal with people, work under pressure and also get to know people that work in the industry. That is the most valuable thing you can possibly have. Just don't be a dick

Starting out with freelance is only worth if you have a REALLY good portfolio/network of contacts, otherwise you'll be just one in a million. I'm not saying that you can't get jobs, but you will be doing wordpress/cms shit for a long time, and I don't think that it is worth it. Aim higher, and you'll get there

It's better to work at a real job, not some stitched together self employment, especially when you're first starting out. You only know what you've taught yourself right now. Working in an office will force you to learn new things and learn your tools fully.

Build simple stuff, like a login page in React. Upload it to github and you'll be ahead of all the "experts" that don't have anything to show besides their arrogance. Always stay ahead! At some point you'll have a cool portfolio to show. Tip: go to dribbble.com and implement someone else design, that's a really cool way to show your stuff!

That's what I thought. Starting out, I will learn a lot more in an office environment. Is freelancing as a whole a meme? I've heard of some of them charging a pretty penny once they have enough experience/clientele. I think I just like the allure of the freedom/independence that comes along with freelance work.

Thank you!

Ill get started in the evenings after work. This seems like it'll turn out quite fruitful

Nobody likes to work for someone else. Usually people that have a real profit with freelancing work in a team giving trainings for companies or work with "expert" level stuff on a given technology. Having a big name on your back is also valuable. It is not hard to find people that worked on any of the top 50 companies, that now have/work in consulting.

It's mostly a meme for the reasons you listed. I guess it's a real money making scheme for third worlders. In the western world you will accept a lot of compromise so you don't have to clock in and out. So much it is already halfway at what MLM stuff is advertised to what it really looks like.

Just go on twitter and search for the people behind React/Angular/Vue/etc. I'm sure you'll find a lot of ex-employees that nowadays just live out of their name

Good luck user! It is a long journey but it is worth it!

For those who are completely new to web dev, don't rush into a framework right from the start, otherwise you'll just get frustrated by the amount of technical terms. Start from the basics, HTML CSS and then JavaScript without any frameworks. When things start to make sense, pick a simple project and then start with a framework. freecodecamp.com is the place to go to get all the right training

Most devs also work on products other people made. Web devs are the worst offenders here.

Explain what the fuck html and css is

Why even learn it when bootstrap exists??

Yeah, there's plenty of room for web developers in the industry. You could even go with UX and not even need to learn how to code.

I had an IT background, moved to Java back in the day and now I'm in JS. Couldn't be happier about my job

bootstrap is a html framework. mostly for making web sites responsive for mobile/tablet.

Frameworks should be taught after the basics..

I thought Web developers generally don't write their own html/css?

Web dev can be as hard as anything else.. Just because there is a lot of already done components, it doesn't mean that design patterns, algorithms, testing and all of that are not used. I guess the last time you wrote something for the web was 10 years ago? Are you a java dev? Dojo programmer?

I didn't mean it's good or bad...