Is there a single Linux distribution that just werks? Seriously. I'm not asking for much here...

Is there a single Linux distribution that just werks? Seriously. I'm not asking for much here, literally all I want is something that doesn't require hours of forum searching for bug fixes and complicated installations. I don't want to have to boot into Windows 7 every day whenever I want to watch a video because video playback is so shit on Linux. I've tried Xubuntu, BunsenLabs, and Antergos. None of them have given me what I want, which is essentially a system to use a web browser and watch high quality video along with other small tasks. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

Fedora literally just works.

Although literally every distro allows you to use a web browser and watch video... how did xubunutu not fulfill this?

Screen tearing up the ass.

Seconded. Xubuntu was the easiest distro I ever used. Somehow even elementaryOS was more of a pain in the ass.

If installing Compton via PPA was too complicated for you, the thing you're doing wrong is exaggerating.

Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition is better than any Ubuntu derivative

nothing is easier or more "just works"

Did you fucking read OP?

Second Fedora. I've used a few different distros, including Ubuntu and Xubuntu. Fedora is super stable and everything "just werks"
On X, sure. Wayalnd, naw.

Just use Ubuntu

This
>we have lots of IoT projects using Mir as a compositor so that code continues to receive investment. I agree, it's a very fast, clean and powerful graphics composition engine, and smart people love it for that.
>The whole Mir hate-fest boggled my mind - it's free software that does something invisible really well. It became a political topic as irrational as climate change or gun control, where being on one side or the other was a sign of tribal allegiance. We have a problem in the community when people choose to hate free software instead of loving that someone cares enough to take their life's work and make it freely available.
>I came to be disgusted with the hate on Mir. Really, it changed my opinion of the free software community.
>I used to think that it was a privilege to serve people who also loved the idea of service, but now I think many members of the free software community are just deeply anti-social types who love to hate on whatever is mainstream. When Windows was mainstream they hated on it. Rationally, Windows does many things well and deserves respect for those. And when Canonical went mainstream, it became the focus of irrational hatred too. The very same muppets would write about how terrible it was that IOS/Android had no competition and then how terrible it was that Canonical was investing in (free software!) compositing and convergence. Fuck that shit.

There is, but will only "just werk" for a more limited set of hardware than, say, windows.

Yeah, Chrome OS. Buy a Chromebook and let Google attach itself to your face like the Alien.

Linux supports way more hardware than Windows

That doesnt contradict my post in any way shape or form

xubuntu

Try getting Windows to run, at all, on a RISC machine.

Hardware is more than just IBM-compatible machines. Your post implied that Windows supports the same hardware Linux does and more on top of it. That's simply not true at all, the hardware sets they support differ too much that none is simply a superset of the other.

It does because more hardware just werks on gnu+linux than windows.

Mint. Get the one with Cinnamon, and it will probably be the only one you can install for your normie friends that they will keep using.

You're clearly a faggot who defines "just werking" as "written into the kernel but requires manually compiling with the right switch". Non-neckbeards prefer "hang on, downloading your driver from the internet".

Mint (I suggest mint kde ) with nonfree drivers
Literally it just werks™

>irrational hatred
Fuckers who even think that sending the users search querries to amazon might be acceptable at all deserve all the hate they get.

>written into the kernel but requires manually compiling with the right switch
Where do you even get these strange ideas from? Did you fail to install Gentoo or something?

Not him, but my soundcard still doesn't properly filter low-pass in Linux while it works in Windows.

get an ios computer
linux-based, just werks

Cinnamon Korora is best distro for no-tearing fun

Solus is pretty great

What didn't 'just werk', about Xubuntu? Ubuntu installation is as simple as clicking through options like on windows.

What went wrong? What hardware are you running?

the non-free software using mint os. ( the non free being the media codecs for certain video formats)

Manjaro with proprietary drivers pretty much guarantees that everything will werk

Your graphics card isn't supported or you didn't install the right drivers, plus you're using meme OS

Try fedora or mint.

Arch just works.

fedora is horseshit

it forces you to use gpu open source drivers which are the slowest thing on earth
yes, autist go ahead and atack me to say i can change that... but remember this post rules being broken right here:
1- it doesn't just work (no proprietary gpu drivers)
2- it requires hours of forum and wiki reading and in the end it will hang you at grub2 cli

even if you managed to get fedora working, it's still worse than debian testing or it's variants which have way more hardware and software support..

manjaro, i think, is the best out of the box distro as oposed to fedora shit (it comes with everything you need and you can choose betwen proprietary or open source gpu drivers), although it's not as stable as debian, it has yaourt (AUR) which is by far the best linux repository in the whole god damn universe

If you want just werks, then there's always mint. Expect your fans to die and your system to overheat tho.

>it forces you to use gpu open source drivers W10 with destroy windows spying and shutup10 is faster than any bugynux

linux will always belong to the loo for as long as autistic contributers don't make the GPU as fast as in windows... I mean, if it's superior why is it slower? (maybe because it's not superior after all)

Yeah Mint """"""""""just werks"""""""""" if you enjoy sticking to the default configuration, not if you want to use anything even slightly different.

That's how all systems work. You want stability you don't change shit besides the wallpaper and some shortcuts until the next major update

Nah different distros adapt to changes differently. One thing I like about Arch based distros is how ultimately resilient they are against package conflicts and dependency shittery, which definitely doesn't apply to Mint

Arch was never meant to be stable anyway. So that's a moot point

Is that why they literally have a "stable" repo then?

I can call my penis a stable repo as well

How is that a justified analogy? Is your penis prone to breaking all the time?

Linux Mint is made for you specifically.

This

Had Screen Tearing when I scrolled on my ThinkPad (With Nvidia WTF 2gb graphics card)
also uefi was a big issue, could not boot into win10 from grub (but that's rather a win10 issue)
but apart from that, sure

thank you.

P E P P E R M I N T

This

No. Stay on Windows or buy a Mac. No retards allowed.

these, manjaro or antergos are the only distros that don't have a shit ton of random bugs out of the box

the font rendering is even pretty good by default which you can't say about fedora, opensuse, etc

Windows is such shit now I bet most of the paid ms shills on this board don't use it anymore.

Ubuntu is what you are looking for.

Solus or Manjaro

For the total noob, pclinuxos or mint is probably best.