Why do the creators of the Thinkpad use Macs?

computerworld.com/article/3131906/apple-mac/ibm-says-macs-are-even-cheaper-to-run-than-it-thought.html

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/an-85-year-olds-mission-to-bridge-digital-divide
youtu.be/VyQEbLx6AEY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Chinkpads ruined everything

Because unironically, Macs just werk for the most part.

They are cheaper to run because retards in HR don't break Macs every 5 minutes therefor most of the IT helpdesk staff can be fired. It just werks.

Because they're not broke faggots whose only joy in life is talking shit about products they could never afford.

TCO of Macs is lower than Windows. When you need a fraction of the IT staff to support your group because users don't have as many problems as they do with Windows. That's why IBM is using Macs.

Its fine if you're a broke motherfucker who has more time than money, so the only way you can get a decent computer is buy a cum stained, off-lease ThinkPad that you waste your life maintaining. But it doesn't mean someone is stupid for valuing their time more than a little bit of money, so they can have something that just works.

why does the creators of mcdonalds eat at 5 star restaurants?? really makes you think.

It just werks desu

Retards are retards.
More news at 11.

99% of help desk calls I deal with are for the shit third party software we are using not issues with the OS itself or the servers. Id argue that the more popular macs become the more shit software will be shoveled onto them averaging out the help desk workload across vendors

I'd be interested to see what their set up is in regards to what applications are actually run on the macs compared to what is just hosted web applets and terminal servers

checkmate

>IBMer here

Apps are run in web apps when available. For all else, RDP connections to virtualized sessions of Windows are used.

>For all else, RDP connections to virtualized sessions of Windows are used.

thanks for giving some insight

Y'all in a shill thread bois

I don't think Sup Forums will ever wrap their collective heads around this but windows server is fucking everywhere. EVERYWHERE

It is very common, but it is far from all caps everywhere.
Most higher end systems and infrastructures are not likely to be windows server.

fair point but that kind of equipment is not very common. It must give an indication of the penetration windows has managed to achieve if even the likes of IBM supposedly use their terminal servers

That's like taking the pickles out of two hamburgers and eating a pickle salad

For the operating system. Apple is the only company that offers in-house hardware+software packages. They have no competition.

>Hey IBM shill our products that are universally not accepted in the business world as business products and we will pay you.
If it was just an internal decision they wouldn't make this much of a fuss over it, and despite what IBM says for 99% of companies an apple environment would end badly. They may "just werk" for the end user, but they are dreadful on the administration and compliance end.

You need to also remember while big blue is still immensely profitable it is no where near as big of a player as what it once was. Their revenue was tanking for a bit, and their hardware division is deader than shit. It makes sense they are trying to appease hardware companies as they are trying to focus on *aaS services as of late.

Being an IBM employee is suffering

>not very common
That might be a tad misleading metric of server OS performance and/or application.

A Renault Clio is a very common car for example.

Because they have better screens, trackpads which manage to be more useful than a trackpoint, audible speakers and a good Unix-like (certified Unix) OS.

>Imagine being at computers so fat you look and see food

There's a lot of money for IBM and others like them to re-write old Win32 apps as web/mobile applications.

1. Push customers to use Mac and iPads by selling their lower TCO.
2. Customers try running their old Win32 apps in VM find it inconvenient
3. Ask IBM (or other consulting group) to re-write these legacy apps
4. Profit!

IBM helps Apple... Apple then helps IBM...

>imagine being so defeated you can't help but to cry "m-m-muh food analogy!!"

IBMer here
almost everyone here uses RHEL on their thinkpad
only higher ups can use mac

5* post

It's a meme you dip.

>RHEL PCs common at IBM
You've never stepped in a building there

I recognize the reference thank you very much
irregardless, crying over food analogies is not an argument

sure thing buddy
were you declined a job at IBM?
is that why you have no idea what's going on inside IBM?

No, but I'm guessing you were.

Being meguca is suffering...

never trusta chink

sick nasty burn bud

this is actually pretty common, every company we rolled out had atleast one server for multi-user applications which the user accessed through RDP sessions, even though the already were running windows on their clients, just because its cheaper to maintain, licensing etc.

heck they even run office on one of them

Linux BTFO

hey aaron

guess again fucker

Wrong! Its actually user Anonovsky

I don't get it? Like a huge company wouldn't have different badges in different divisions?

probably it was changed and they didn't replace the old ones
or different country different badges
dunno

IBM sending all their old ThinkPads to Africa to 'bridge the digital divide'.

>forgot link
blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/an-85-year-olds-mission-to-bridge-digital-divide

just fuck already you two

seriously though no the OpenClient RHEL version seems kind of abandoned the last time i tried it. It also requries manager approval to even install it via lifeboat. it's cool that your division gets to use RHEL more, but you are an exception. Windows 7 is the standard without further approvals. New hires can get macs from the start if they manager requests it. Everyone else can opt in if they are due for a refresh.

Source: used worked for them for 5 years, now I do contract work for them thank god.

>it's cool that your division gets to use RHEL more, but you are an exception
not on my site
we are REQUIRED to use RHEL
we don't have any other options
windows 7 allowed only in KVM
mac only for managers

>IBM employee here
Can confirm we all wear Red Hats

Ruskies pls go

>IBMers confirmed as gay

youtu.be/VyQEbLx6AEY

cool, are you in on-site hardware support?
btw, any clue how you purchase RHEL licenses for client projects? I need it for a PowerVC deployment. I keep getting the reply that it's not in BOND, but surely there has to be another way.

not hardware
I work on mainframes
can't help you with licensing issues
why not try centos? basically it's the same as redhat but community driven

mostly so I can open issues in case it should ever break. is it stable from your experience?

centos is the most stable distro I know
do some research to verify it tho

macbooks confirmed poorfag tier

Wut
aside from build quality, macos is the only reason to buy a macbook

sorry, meant powervc on centos. we use centos for a lot of things and it is very stable.

thin clients (browser apps) and apple is better chinkshit than lenovo

Because they know what they are doing. Better hardware, software and cheaper, what else can you want? The only excuse not to use a Mac is need for Windows specific programs.

That's true too.

You're forgetting 16:10 screens, battery life and trackpads.

Indeed. Trackpad is pretty fucking cool. I wish I could shove my Magic trackpad into my thinkpad since it's already hackintoshed, but for now I guess it's not exactly too awful to carry it around.